Your opinions on biofeedback and "mind/body" pain relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Oct 29, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

To make a long story short, a therapist I just saw informed me that his practice is big into this biofeedback and mind/body therapy (that's where you tell your mind that your body doesn't feel pain). Anyway, he said if I don't do this My psychiatrist may not see me anymore and I need him for my depression and anxiety meds. Should I find another psychiatrist. I do not believe in this stuff, but would really appreciate any of your imput.

Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

To make a long story short, a therapist I just saw informed me that his practice is big into this biofeedback and mind/body therapy (that's where you tell your mind that your body doesn't feel pain). Anyway, he said if I don't do this My psychiatrist may not see me anymore and I need him for my depression and anxiety meds. Should I find another psychiatrist. I do not believe in this stuff, but would really appreciate any of your imput.

Maria
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

The biofeedback part sounded ok but I would have to do it with the mind/body thing, and my insurance won't cover biofeedback. I think the guy is trying to screw me.
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

Like said above - you don't have to worry about side effects and if it helps in any way then wouldn't it be worth it? If it doesn't help you can at least know that you tried it. Every new doc. or new treatment I try is like new hope for some relief. Just my opinion..AMY
    Oops, I guess we were posting at the same time - didn't realize your insurance would't cover this.[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2002]
  5. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I am one for medical answers before this other stuff. I unfortunatly don't have the time or money to "just try" everything that comes my way.I need pain relief and I need it now, and if my new rhuematologist dosn't help, then I live with the pain. The scary part to me is he's threatening to have my psychiatrist stop seeing me ie no more antidepressants that I know I need to live any kind of normal life. Doesn't sound right to me.
  6. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

but whatever. These people are trying to extort me into using their services, which I am not willing to accept as a treatment right now because this guy is not a medical doctor. Get it. Gotta go. Today is Halloween party at my sons school
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have these tapes. I can't believe anyone else has them and likes them as much as I do. One of them promotes Delta waves and is excellent before going to bed.

As far as biofeedback and mind/body/spirit therapy goes, it's no different from other therapy in terms of what the insurance company knows. The therapist can simply bill as a therapy session and still do hypnotherapy or feedback.

I truly believe that we don't think we are "becoming what we have," but I believe that it's inevitible that this happens to us after we have been through so much for so long. In the process, our bodies/minds/spirits forget how to be well. This therapy is like physical rehab for injuries to bones and muscles. It teaches us how to be well people again. There is a time in our various therapies where this can be extremely helpful.

I don't think they are trying to con you, Maria; however, if you go into it with the preconceived notion that you don't believe in it, you will miss a great deal of potential benefit. Give it a chance. The mind is such a powerful tool and it can be put to work to help us heal.

Love, Mikie
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and control that I have with biofeedback! It is SO nice to know that I CAN have some control over what occurs in this tired old body of mine. Try it if you can. My insurance paid for therapy....I don't think it was ever described as biofeedback to the insurance company. It isn't their business what TYPE of therapy I have. It was soothing and relaxing and a great learning tool. I use what I learned back in 1978 a lot as far as the imagery and relaxation techniques. Our minds can help us or hurt us...we can control some of this!
    Love,
    Kady