You're the only ones who know...I actually now what?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Jan 28, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I am not a crier, I was raised that way, no tears only anger and laughter. This little system of mine seemed to be working just fine, dispite therapists telling me it wasn't. I think it helped me work the ER's of Baltimore's toughest areas. Anyway, over the weekend, I accidently stepped on my dog's paw and he yelped. He's perfectly Ok, no damage done, but suddenly I felt weird and there were tears on my cheeks. I thought I sprung a leak or something:) Since then things make me cry, for absolutely no reason at all. My soon to be 11 year old daughter had the stomach flu over the past few days and you'd think she was terribly ill the way I act (not in front of her). I'm actually too embarressed to tell my therapist! So will the flood gates soon close again or is the dam busted for life? I feel so silly even writing this.

Thanks for listening.

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Never feel silly for writing something we can all relate too on this board. You're among friends here...

Are you by any chance of menopausal age? Or even somewhere in peri-menopause (like we all are)?

Tears come when normal emotions are happening. I'm not a crier either, yet give me a sappy commercial and I'm grabbing for the tissues.

When I get teary at little things, I know to grab one of my hormone patches and that helps me.

Sometimes a good cry can just be down right good for you....

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I go through crying spells myself. Sometimes the trigger is a sad event or something worrying me. Mother nature is smart and I think crying is good for us sometimes.

When you are alone just really let it out.
  4. painterZ

painterZ New Member

have dealt with hormonal problems forever. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which is now worse than ever causing over-all physical changes and disese processes like insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) hair loss, hair growth where it isn't welcomed (face)and the list goes on and on. Perhaps you're right and it's another hormonal thing. It was just such a sudden weird thing. Thanks for letting me know I haven't completely lost it :)

5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am proud of you actually. Crying is good for you. I cry when i am happy, sad, upset, you name it.

Don't be ashamed, it is only human and sometimes it really helps you to get through some emotions.
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

There is NOTHING wrong with you!

You mentioned that you were raised not to cry, you had to steel your emotion's to work in an ER, which must be very difficult.

Maybe your body cannot sustain the coping method you have been using. It may be that, all you've have pushed down, is now coming to the surface, which is good. Even if it doesn't feel so. For you, it's not 'normal'.

Many year's ago, my therapist told me, after much crying without knowing why, that your body is like a garbage disposal. You can shove a lot into it, but at some time it will explode. It may sound silly, but it made sense to me. It helped me to understand why I had coped this way and what issue's had caused me to do so.

Please do tell your therapist. She/he will probably think the crying is a good release for you. I have found, letting things build up, in me, is more damaging than letting my emotion's out.

Maybe this would be a good time to let yourself think of painful, and/or, issue's from the past, etc., and share. I've done enough crying, in my therapist's office, that I am sure the 'Kleenex Stock' has risen immensely! LOL

As mentioned, it could be coupled by a hormone change of some type. No matter what, there is no reason to feel shame. You are showing what a caring person you are.

Please come here to share whatever you need to. Nothing is every to silly, or weird.

My thoughts, prayer's, and gentle hugs are with you..

7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I had a similar experience of not being able to cry for years and years and then suddenly - over something that seemed trivial - the floodgates opened.

I was weepy for a week or two (I was also in therapy at the time) and then my emotions fell into line, that is to say I would only cry when appropriate.

For whatever reason now-a-days (hormones?) I go through weepy times - times when my tears seem out-of line with what's happening in my life. During weepy times, even a commercial on TV will tug on my heartstrings and cause tears. These weepy spells only last a couple days and, to be honest, it sometimes feels like a personal cleansing when I have a good cry.

Crying is healthy, healing and necessary. I believe when a person finally breaks through years of socialization (being taught not to cry) and the tears are allowed to flow, it's the beginning of emotional healing.

Your crying may seem all over the place and unfocused now, but it's likely years of pent-up emotion finding release. Not to worry, it will ease up as you become accustomed to experiencing emotions that had henceforth been stifled.

God bless,
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I love the other replies you've gotten and just wanted to add 2 more things.

My hormones were completely out of whack in my 30's. I only realize it now in hindsight, and after my hysterectomy which gave me the opportunity to learn so much about them.

And have you had your thyroid levels checked? Some of the symptoms you mentioned are similar to hypothyroid.

9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

thanks so much for your replies. I just got my blood work back today and everything was either normal or in "my normal" range. I didn't get to talk to my doc one-on-one but I asked that he call me back. I'm still cryin' :),for better or worse. My biggest fear is that my doc will tell me that its all due to stress that has really increased since January 1st because my big trial will take place in only three more months. I'm in that "there MUST be something wrong with me" stage. Anyway, I really do appreciate everybody's imput, maybe its a combination of things.

Warm thoughts.