Yucky stuff on lips in morning?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Staceymarie, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

This is gross...but I have asked my friends and co-workers and they have never had this happen. I thought it occured with everyone but guess not.

Before I go to bed, I brush my teeth. When I wake in the morning, my lips have this ring of gooey, stringy white stuff around them.

When I brush in morning, an hour or so later, I get this stringy stuff inside my lips as well.

I rinse and spit atleast 10-15 times, as well as gargle 2-3 times and I brush my tongue with just a wet toothbrush several times. It's also not my toothpaste because I have changed it many times thinking that was the problem.

My husband brushes his teeth, rinses once, maybe twice, and has never had this happen. What could this be and has anyone else ever had this?????

Thanks, Stacey

2. kjfms

kjfms Member

You know it funny you bring this up (not haha funny just odd) I just was discussing this very thing with one of my best friends today.

She is a dental hygienist and she was telling me my tooth past is too harsh for me and that most with whitening products will do this to people with sensitivities.

So I am going to stop the extra whitening tooth paste I have been using and see if it helps. She said just plain Crest or Aim or something like is the best.

She also told me if I want to whiten my teeth that Crest thin whitening strips are the best.

She said the stringy stuff is tissue sloughing off from my mouth where the chemicals are too strong for me.

Mine is really a lot and I have to admit I have been concern for a while and wasn't for sure what it was.

I hope this helps a little,

Karen :)
  3. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

hey, that makes sense. Its better than anything I could come up with! Thanks a bunch for the imput!
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

You are welcome. I have noticed that when I use my LIL (Live In Loves) Aqua Fresh sensitive this doesn't happen but I am just too duh huh to pick up on it...LOL

Take care,

Karen :)
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I always thought it was because I put on lipbalm before I go to sleep!
    I haven't noticed that it changes with toothpaste, I don't use whitening I currently use Mentadent P Sensitive but whatever I use I always get the yucky stuff.
    I've also thought it has something to do with my chronic sinus.

6. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Sjogren's Syndrome can cause dry mouth. Sometimes the meds we take can also make this worse and causes Sjogren's Syndrome.

I use:
    Biotene toothpaste for dry mouth
    Biotene mouth moisturizer just before going to bed
    A room humidifier at night
    During the day I suck on buttons since I don't want to suck on candy or "over drink" water (too many trips to the bathroom).

Hope this helps,

Just remembered I also you eye drops in the morning and again at night.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  7. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Very interesting! I am now curious to find out if the change in toothpaste made a difference (8 years later! :) ). The first thing that came to my mind was a candida overgrowth. I know that there is the 'spit test' in the morning to see if there is a candida problem - which many of us do have, and it isn't doing us any favours! As well as medications doing weird and wonderful things. I know that Amitriptyline has the lovely side effect of rotting your teeth from the inside out....my Aunt has been on it for 10 years for her migraines...and just had a $30,000 full set of veneers put in as her teeth had rotted so badly.

Thinking about it - there are just so many chemicals that we use day to day to keep 'fresh and clean' - from laundry detergent to shampoo and toothpaste and deoderant...non of which can be good for us.