Zanaflex - Another bust!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Tried it now for a week....it does make you drowsy but I think I wake up in more pain.

Nothing really seems to help this stupid disease. I am really beginning to think it is a virus like HHV6.
  2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Manwithfibro, Zanaflex has been a bust for me too. My doctor gave me samples and I took the lowest dose only 1 mg. This drug didn't touch my pain and it made me feel like I was a drunk.

I honestly feel that FMS is a toxic overload of the immune system and nervous system. Unfortunately, I think that western medicine has missed the boat on these conditions. Doctors only want to treat symptoms and not get to the CORE of the problem. I'm sorry you're disappointed, I've been there too. Hugs to you, Chelz.
  3. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Manwithfibro, Was the zanaflex issued with gradual doseng instructions? I too was on Zanaflex,It was Aprox. 6 weeks b4 I was aware of the full effect of this med.Have you ever tried Requip(sp) I think it is a Parkinsons med that off lable success has been found,particulary in men,w/ these dd's?
    Peace,eZ
  4. dbleth

dbleth New Member

i also tried zanaflex and was disapointed. I get some relief from flexeril and soma when the pain is mild but not much help when it's bad but muscle relaxers and pain medication doesn't seem to affect me like it does others. I think i've built up a resistance to them. you not alone, hang in there.

db
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I wish Zanaflex worked for you as well as it does for me!

It has been a lifesaver for me as far as sleep goes.

I have worked up to 4 of the 2 mg. tablets each night. I am able to sleep all night and wake up without a hangover! I'm not sleepy all day either.

It just works fantastic for me. I take the 4 tablets if I don't have to get up early to go somewhere. Since I'm retired now, I usually get at least 10 hours sleep by taking Zanaflex.

If I need to get up early to go to the doctor or someplace, then I take only 2 or 3 Zanaflex.

Make sure you take them long enough to give them a fair try. I had to experiment with the dosage to get it right for me.
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Did it only help with sleep or did it take away pain?
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

Doe's this med help your pain also?? This is one of the meds I was gonna ask my dr about trying. However I NEED something for pain and sleep. thanks.... :)
  8. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

From what I recall It helped w/both,however I was also on Baclofin(sp?)at the time,and BuSpar.Had been weaning off Neurontin at the time started Zanaflex.Sleep has ALWAYS been difficult,while on Zanafelx I think my *pain* was reduced due to the sleep duration enhancement.So to you I say YES,it helped,unless it was the combo?
    Peace,eZ
  9. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

~ has been a lifesaver! I take 1/2 pills during the day (and yes I need a nap sometimes!). But it helped with my pain most surely, as I upped the dose, took 1 whole or 2 for sleep, and now have added Ultracet, which has been approved for the pain of FM. My Dr. is tolerant of ME, and I bring in articles I find, and he let's me try the drugs mentioned. I have other problems too, so we have to be wise about drug-interactions.etc.
    Keep trying!
    Love
    Fibromiester
  10. JBarbee

JBarbee New Member

I am also on Zanaflex and take 1/2 to 1 tablet daily, I have been on it for about 6 months now, I found that if I take the Zanaflex about 15 to 30 minutes before I am ready to go to bed, then when I go to bed I go to sleep right away, it does make you drowsy, but isn't that part of the reason to take Zanaflex in the first place ? to help you sleep. I used to wake up at least every hour all night, now I wake up less and go right back to sleep. I am also taking Condroitin & Glucusamine (sp)? 2 x a day & Vioxx for pain, allthough it doesn't stop ALL the pain it does help a lot.
    I take my Vioxx in the morning with my Multi-vitamine and take my Zanaflex at night with my Zyrtec allergy medication.
    I am going to check into the Ultracet for FM (thanks for the info on it) J. Barbee
  11. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Made me throw up.

It is very nauseating....good luck though.
  12. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I found Zanaflex very helpful for restless leg syndrome, but, did nothing for fibro pain. Tulip