Zanaflex for Fibro....love it!! Do you?? - (not anymore)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lumediluna, Jan 31, 2003.

1. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

I just wanted to say in case some of you are searching for something to help with the pain assc. with Fibro. I just started to use Zanaflex and it is awesome!

*ok, this is an update....02/12 - after using the zanaflex for a while, it gave me migraines and I felt like I wanted to throw up.....I tried to give it time, but I really don't think this is the one for me :( Totally bummed.....I am burnt on finding out what works<br[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2003]
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I take 8 mg at night with 10 mg Elavil to help me sleep. I started out just taking 4 mg and it helped, but not enough, so my doc increased it to 8 mg and added the Elavil, and I get a good night's sleep about 60% of the time now. May not sound like much, but believe me, it's quite an improvement. I can't take it during the day, it knocks me out. I take Soma during the day, and I know that knocks a lot of people out. I haven't noticed any overall improvement in my pain from taking the Zanaflex; I've been taking it for several months. In fact, after posting that I was having better days earlier this week, the bottom fell out and I'm having some of the worst pain I've ever had, and I've done absolutely NOTHING to make it worse.
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I just got it from the Rheumo last week for severe muscle spasms and pain. Haven't gotten that much improvement though but to be honest haven't done as i am supposed to with it yet either. 4mg 3x a day and flexeral still to sleep. i don't see that when I take it it makes that much difference though. Maybe i need more of a dosage of it. I am glad that you are having good luck with it and i plan to get with the program this coming week.
    Take care,
    Joannie
  4. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

thanks for the replys :) [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2003]
  5. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi All, (lumedilvna) what does you nickname mean?

Anyway I've had FM for-ever. About 2 years ago my
    Rhummy started me on Zanaflex, but only at night. (I was still working then) had good insurance, ect.
    After having to leave my job, we change insurance
    companies, WOW, is Zanaflex expensive. But it was so good that I bit the dust and paid my share which was
    $75.00 a month. During this time at home, I would become so miserable with pain, I decided to take it through out the day. Like you said, lumedilvna, it really works great for pain.

Now for the best part of the story; when I went to the
    pharmacy to get it refilled the technician told me, "it was
    just released as a generic." It's called ***Tizanidine***
    I was amazed that my part of the cost was only $18.00 a
    month, rather than the $75.00 I'd been paying.

Not only did I recieve that good news, but, at the
    same time the Ultram I was buying at around $80.00, was now
    avaliable in a generic also, it's called ***Tramodol***
    It's soooo much cheaper than the regular Ultram for me,
    since I have such terrible insurance. But, I guess it's
    better than nothing.

I find if I'm really hurting, I'll take 2 Zanaflex
    2mg each, and within an hour or less, I'm feeling better.
    I do get a slight bit sleepy, but, then I'm OK enough to
    drive if I need to.

I also take Skelaxin, it does not work near as well as
    the Zanaflex, but, it doesn't cause any drousiness, so I can take 2 if I must drive right away. I don't take both at
    the same time.

Well, I'm glad to be able to respond to your post. It's always good to know that some of us are helped by the
    same meds. Believe me some of the docs I've seen have never heard of Zanaflex. GO Figure!

Best Wishes, and lots of pain and spasm free days, lumedilvna.

LadyDi/diane
  6. PAT

PAT New Member

It did something to my throat and esophagus, and I could not swallow at all. One night I woke up in a panic, I couldn't even swallow my saliva. The next day I called the doc and he said get off of it and do NOT try to take it again.
    I was bummed out because it was working GREAT on my muscles! It was the best muscle relaxer I'd ever used, and it didn't make me feel heavy and tired like flexeril.
    I tried it again, and it had the same effect, so I guess I really can't take it. Patti G
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I"ll ask about this at my next Rheumy appointment~ I"ve never heard of Zanaflex~ I use elavil and flexeril before bed~ The flex. seems to linger on the next day.(I hate that feeling!!)I enough fatique without it! I was going to ask about the Neurontin.....But I've seen some posts here that have changed my mind on that one. Thanks for mentioning your luck with zanaflex~
    Regards,
    Tracey
  8. karen55

karen55 New Member

generic that I take, and it works great. Costs me $5 copay for 60, 4mg tablets. Also take the generic Elavil, which is $5 copay for 30, 10 mg tablets. So, for $10 a month I can sleep (most of the time)!

And BTW, I don't have a "drug hangover" in the mornings either. Another plus!

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2003]
  9. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

Starting taking 2mg about 3 months ago, only in the evening. It knocked me out, with no hangover feeling the next day and I really noticed an overall improvement in the way that I felt and my health diagnostics . . . but now I am up to 10 mg once in the evening. I noticed that I built up a tolerance to it and would notice that all of a sudden I was feeling sluggish and fatigued again . . . and then if I increased my dose by 2mg I would sleep better again.

Right now I am only able to work 25 hours a week, but I need to go back to full-time in a couple of months. I think I will try in the meantime to take 2 mg in the afternoons and see how it helps for the excruciating occipital head, neck and of course--ta,da, OUR favorite--back pain!

Thanks for the tip!
    April Huque
  10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

that it's a great med for FMS. It is especially good at bedtime. dolsgirl
  11. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Hello,

lumediluna means "moonlight" in Italian. So far the zanaflex works but it does make me sleepy, which I hope goes away!! I have noticed I have been getting headaches like migraines too....I just hope it isnt from the zanaflex :( We will see. It's so hard to say because everyone is soooo different. Always good to hear feedback on meds for fibro though. Anyway, thanks again for the info on the generics too - will keep that in mind :)
    Take care!

12. Karen M

Karen M New Member

I just came back from a doctors appointment. I have never seen this doctor before and was hoping he would be the one for me. He gave me a muscularskelotal exam and summed me up with the FM/CFS that I already know that I have. So, we are off to a good start, right? No, he gives me a bunch of samples of Wellbutrin, motrin and a free sample of zanaflex (which he said he doesn't think will help me and I had to worm it out of him). Oh yea, ambien too for sleep. I tried to explain to him that the ambien wont help me to sleep unless I have something for pain as well. He said "OH NO I'm going to treat the symptoms, not the end result! Your not going to get any pain medication out of me! You are just going to have to deal with it. This is the third doctor I have seen up here in three years and he
    s just like all the rest. What is goind on with doctors and pain medication? I just want to be pain free at least some of the time so I can do yoga, pick up my house etc. and see a smile on my husbands face when he come home from work everynight.

Your thoughts, Hobson?
  13. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i might be the only person in the world who had this reaction, but just in case there is someone else out there, this drug made me mean and cranky. i mean really mean! weird-uh?

also, my instructions were to start out on a small dose then up it until you would be taking 6 pills a day. way too complicated.

warm regards, fibolady
  14. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

Keep in mind though, that I am one of the "weird ones" that seems to never respond to stuff correctly. I always felt hungover with Zanaflex, it INCREASED my muscle spasms, and even triggered them where I did not have them before! I HAVE found someone else who reacted the same way, so, I know I'm not crazy! LOL----I mean, HOW does a drug that works on muscle spasticity, INCREASE muscle spasms? Just doesn't make sense.
    Then again, I'm the one who gets depressed on anti-depressants, (Prozac actually sent me into a paranoid state of "mania" almost) Paxil....no energy, but I developed something called "foot flapping" (goes along with signs/symptoms of tardive dyskenesia/dystonia), also gave me permanant and LOUD tinnitus, .....Effexor has given me heart arrythmias that so far have not gone away (3 wks+ completely off the effexor, and still having palpitations) and I'm on a beta-blocker 3 times a day to stop them!). I also, due to the Effexor, now curl my hands and feet at night, to the point that it is very painful. I wake up several times a night to "uncurl" them.
    Flexeril used to work very well for me, but, I've tried Zanaflex twice now, and ......no dice.....
    Along with always being terribly hungover, once I adjusted to it, instead of knocking me out, it gave me insomnia. I also had trouble talking, and walking, and it made my nystagmus worse...........I also must say though, that I may have MS, and am being monitored by a neurologist, maybe that has something to do with it, maybe not.

Glad that it does help all of you though. Very glad for you.

Medic
  15. TinysMom

TinysMom New Member

HI--I AM A BIT BEHIND ON MY READING, BUT I HAD TO ANSWER YOU ABOUT ZANAFLEX--MY BABY SISTER AND I WERE BOTH DX WITH THIS DD IN DECEMBER OF LAST YEAR. WE HAVE BOTH TRIED ZANA. AND IT WAS NOT A GOOD THING!! WE BOTH HAD TERRIBLE HEADACHES, ALTHO IT DID HELP SOME WITH THE MISERIES, IE; CRAMPING, AND ACHES. I WAS TAKING IT AT BEDTIME, TO HELP ME GET SOME SLEEP (SOUND FAMILIAR?) FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS AFTER I TOOK IT, I HAD THIS AWFUL 'HEAVY' FEELING, LIKE I HAD A PILE OF BRICKS ON MY SHOULDERS, THEN I FELT LIKE I HAD A MILLION BUGS RUNNING AROUND MY BODY, I WOULD FINALLY GO TO SLEEP AFTER ABOUR 4 HOURS, BUT ONLY IN 2 HOUR INCRIMENTS UNTIL IT WAS TIME TO GET UP. IT WAS STRANGE. I HAD SUCH HIGH HOPES FOR IT, AS IT COMES VERY HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED. JUST PROVES ONCE AGAIN, WE ALL VERY DIFFERENT!!
    I AM TRYING MELATONIN NOW FOR SLEEP, AND IT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING, BUT NOT ANY GOOD FOR STAGE 4 SLEEP, I AM STILL UP EVERY 1 1/2 TO 2 HOURS. WHICH BEATS BEING UP NEARLY 24/7!! BY THE WAY, I LOVE THIS SITE.
    SOFT HUGS TO ALL--TINYSMOM