Zanaflex for RLS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildworld, Nov 30, 2006.

1. wildworld

wildworld New Member

My doctor is putting me on Zanaflex for RLS-type symptoms. Has anyone else used this? If so, what has your experience been?
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I also have RLS, but my doctor put me on Gabitril 4 mg. It has really helped me with the creepy-crawlies and the need to keep moving my legs. I still have the jerking of my arms and legs sometimes, but it's not a big problem. Just thought I will tell you about this med in case the Zanaflex.

Of course we are all different in how we respond to different meds. Good luck.

Ellen
  3. wildworld

wildworld New Member

I was in fact on gabatril, it didn't help the creepie crawlies during the day. Perhaps the combination will. I'm hoping that someone has had some experience with zanaflex?
  4. krchamp

krchamp New Member

It didn't help with the RLS alone. My doctor added Xanax to it. These two are the only meds that really helped my RL, but I have to take them together. Not even the meds specifically for RL has helped me.

Hope this helps!
    Good Luck!

Kristi
  5. lizable11

lizable11 New Member

I have been taking zanaflex for about 2 years now, but for general muscle spasms, not RLS (but maybe that is why i don't have RLS!)I have to tell you, don't expect to take zanaflex and be able to function! I can only take it before bed..and I mean 5 mins before I'm ready to fall asleep, because literally, that's all it takes. You will get dry mouth and become dizzy if you get up too fast.(causes BP to drop)I sometimes don't remember speaking to ppl if they call me after it has taken effect. You will also get icky withdrawl if you try to stop cold turkey. Another thing that's really bothering me about it now, is that no matter what dose I take..exactly(almost to the minute) 2 hours later, I am jolted awake and have trouble falling back asleep. I am seeing my doc next month to see if I can try something else. BTY, my dose is 2MG, down from 4MG.
  6. kat-E

kat-E New Member

I had side effects that I could not tolerate, so I had to stop. I hope it helps you.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had RLS very bad a few years ago. I took ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), two capsules at night for women and three for men.

I started out taking this supplement for sleep, well it not only is wonderful for sleep, but it cured my RLS as well.

You can go read more about it at the 'Store' link here if you like.

Its a great supplement for a lot of things, but it really helped my sleep problems, and actually cured the RLS!

There are no side effects that I know of, and I have been taking ZMA for 5 years now.

Shalom, Shirl