Zanaflex inhibits Substance P?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Applyn59, May 25, 2003.

1. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Just found this reference to zanaflex and substance P.
    Thought it might be interesting to you guys.
    Lynn

Neuropharmacology 1991 Jun;30(6):585-9 Related Articles, Links

Inhibitory effects of clonidine and tizanidine on release of substance P from slices of rat spinal cord and antagonism by alpha-adrenergic receptor antagonists.
    Ono H, Mishima A, Ono S, Fukuda H, Vasko MR.
    Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan.
    Effects of clonidine and tizanidine, which have antinociceptive and alpha 2-agonistic actions, were studied on the release of substance P from slices of spinal cord from the rat. Veratridine-evoked depolarization induced a 2-3-fold increase in the release of substance P from the slices of spinal cord. Exposure of the cord tissue to 10 microM clonidine and tizanidine significantly reduced the release of substance P. The inhibitory effects of clonidine and tizanidine were attenuated by pre-exposure of the tissue to 10 microM piperoxane, which has alpha 2-antagonistic activity and the inhibitory effect of clonidine was attenuated by 10 microM yohimbine. Moreover, the inhibitory effects of clonidine and tizanidine were also blocked by a small dose of prazosin, an antagonist for alpha 1- and alpha 2B-receptors. None of the antagonists had any effect on release of substance P, when given alone. These results suggest that alpha 2B-adrenoceptors are involved in the inhibitory effects of clonidine and tizanidine on the release of substance P.
    PMID: 1717870 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2. KayL

KayL New Member

I've been taking it for months, but I think I'm having hallucinations from it and this is something I will definitely be bringing up with my doc this afternoon.

Karen
  3. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I used the Catapres (clonidine) patch to try and quit smoking. I actually ended up feeling better overall. Had to quit the Catapres patch because I had a derma reaction to the patch and I never got around to getting it in pill form. I did start taking Zanaflex for the very reason this article talks about. Just did a little test, stopped it for a week to see if I felt a difference, and I did. It seems to be pretty subtle to me, though. I guess maybe should start the Catapres again. Thanks for the article!!!
    Hayley
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I know it stopped the pain/stiffness that I was having around the neck/shoulders and TMJ...and has been very effective for sleep, but wonder about the possible liver damage, or is that just at very high levels?

[ advertisement ]