zanaflex...please respond...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dreamer28455, Apr 6, 2007.

1. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

after speaking to my doctor today about celebrex making me sick he called in zanaflex. i looked it up online and it is tizanidine..i was given this after an injection procedure. it made me very sleepy but he gave me a very low dose. does anyone take it longterm for fms? does it help anyone? i hope this is the one that will ease my pain. any replies will be greatly appreciated!! <3 Rachel
  2. donmia

donmia New Member

I have been taking it for about 6 years now.
    It does help.. i take them at bedtime and it helps me sleep. At first they made me really tiried to . But it eases as your body get used to it.
    I used to take 4 mgs i now take 8..
    Hope it helps you.
    DOnna
  3. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Rachel,

I take zanaflex up to 4 per day. I take 1 in the morning, 1 midday if needed, and 2 at night. The 2 at night definitely helps me sleep because it does have a sedation effect which is part of the reason it was prescribed.

If I take it with some of my other meds that can also make me sleepy, then it will definitely make me sleepy. Otherwise, I think it is a great muscle relaxer. It is not an anti-inflammatory.

Hope this info helps.

Gentle Hugs,
    Pam
  4. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

Donna and Pam, thanks for your input..it makes me feel better to know others take it longterm. i hope it helps me as much as it did you guys! <3 Rachel
  5. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hi Rachel :)

Just 2 days ago my rheumatologist called in a prescription for this medicine for me. It is a muscle relaxer. I called his office in an attempt to increase my daily dosage of tramadol, the only pain med that I use, and instead he explained that FM patients sometimes have too much muscle tone to the point of being spastic. After spending the night with your muscles in this condition you can wake up very sore and achy.

He told me to take one before I went to bed and see if it helped me to feel better in the morning. No increase in tramadol.....

Well I went to a drug info web site and found that Zanaflex can be hard on the liver. That is the last thing that I need, so I don't think I will even try it. I think it is fairly new isn't it?

I don't want to scare you at all. I just take so many medicines already and I have a muscle relaxer that he knows about, librium.

Sorry I could be of no help. This medicine may really help you and I hope it does. If it does and you post it, I may get my prescription filled.

Andy
  6. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

i will surely let you know if it helps..i just went to pick it up and it was a 25 day supply. 100 pills! that seems like a lot though. 4 a day...we will see. thanks for posting though! <3 Rachel
  7. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Just curious ... does your doctor check your liver periodically? After I had surgery last year and was on a lot of pain meds, my PCP did a liver enzyme test before he made any changes in my medicine. This might be something you consider before not trying a new medicine.

Take care,
    Pam
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I have been on zanaflex for about a year now.

T take 4 mg once during the day and 8 mg at night to help me sleep and for the pain.

It has been the only muscle relaxer that has ever really helped me.

My father is also on it. He broke his neck so he has many problems...nerve damage, extreme chronic pain...its just unthinkable. He takes the same dosage, except he is allowed one more dosage during the day of 4 mg. He has been on them for about 3 or 4 years now and they still work just as good as day 1.

I was told (but dont quote me on this) that you do not develop a tolerance to it as quickly as other muscle relaxers, so you can ususally stay on the same dosage longer than with other muscle relaxers. Another thing I did hear (and again dont quote me on this one either) is that it is one of the more non- addictive muscle relaxers out there.

The only side effect I get is the drowziness, but you can always ask your doc to take less if you needed to. Any medication given thru an injection will act stronger.

Hugs,
    Steph
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I take 4mg. of it at bedtime, and stopped the Flexeril.

Flexeril made me sleepy all day long.

However, my internist's Advanced Nurse Practitioner, who saw me when he was booked one day, suggested Skelaxin as an alternative for the daytime, and for me, it is much, much better for my muscle spasms and doesn't make me as drowsy.

10. shanabell1

shanabell1 New Member

I just started taking Zanaflex this week 4 mg at bedtime. It has help me fall asleep better than ambien which I am also still taking 10mg at bedtime. I think Zanaflex is pretty good so far it relaxes me well. I also used to take Flexeril at bedtime but the next day I felt like I was hungover. Thats a no good for me since I need all the energy I can get to run after my 14 month old son. I hope the Zanaflex works out for you Rachel :)
  11. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Rachel and friends,

Zanaflex has been the only muscle relaxer to help me as well. I've been on it about 8 years now. I can't sleep without it. I've tried many others.

I'm actually on a cocktail combo to sleep:
    Regular Ambien 10mg
    Zanaflex 4 mg
    klonopin .5 mg (1/2 tab) for RLS

I would be afraid to take 4 mg in the daytime and try to function. But everyone is different!

I hope the zanaflex helps you!

Hugs,
    C-mom
  12. lizable11

lizable11 New Member

zanaflex 12/01/06 04:50 PM

I have been taking zanaflex for about 2 years now, for general muscle spasms. I have to tell you, don't expect to take zanaflex and be able to function! I can only take it before bed..and I mean 5 mins before I'm ready to fall asleep, because literally, that's all it takes. You will get dry mouth and become dizzy if you get up too fast.(causes BP to drop)I sometimes don't remember speaking to ppl if they call me after it has taken effect. You will also get icky withdrawl if you try to stop cold turkey. Another thing that's really bothering me about it now, is that no matter what dose I take..exactly(almost to the minute) 2 hours later, I am jolted awake and have trouble falling back asleep. I am seeing my doc next month to see if I can try something else. BTY, my dose is 2MG, down from 4MG. I guess maybe it's time for me to move onto soemthing else. Good Luck!
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

to meds.

I take 4 mgs without any bad side effects(noted)
    It helps me relax and sleep well.

I get my liver panel done about once a yr or so.(18 months)?
    It works well for me.
    I take it about an hr before bed.

hope this helps~
  14. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I would really have a liver function test after 2 months and then every 2-4 months if I were to take this medicine.

Yes many medicines have warnings about possible liver and kidney damage, but the warnings for Zanaflex are a bit stronger. It states that it can and has caused liver damage.

This information is from the manufacturers web site:

Zanaflex Capsules may cause side effects in some people, including the following:

Sudden drop in blood pressure: Some people in clinical studies experienced this effect, known as "hypotension."

Possible liver damage: Tizanidine occasionally causes liver injury, most often of the hepatocellular type.
    Changes in liver function tests have been found in some patients, which could be the result of liver damage. In most cases, these changes resolved when the drug was stopped. In very rare cases, liver damage was permanent.

Sleepiness: You should not drive or operate heavy machinery while taking this drug. Sleepiness could be made worse if you take your medication with alcohol or certain other drugs.

Hallucinations: In two studies, a small percentage of people had hallucinations (saw things that did not really exist).

The most common side effects reported in clinical studies were dry mouth, sleepiness, weakness, tiredness and dizziness.

I just wanted you guys to be careful, that is all :) I have been damaged by a medicine myself (statins), so I am careful and I guess to the point of being paranoid.

Andy
  15. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I have been on tizanidine for about a yr. It is great stuff. I take up to 9 a day, 36 mg. I do not get sleepy from it and it extendeds the longivity of pain meds in my system.It works 2 ways according to my doc, imeditatly and then over time it makes muscles less stiff.
  16. I wish it would help me sleep, instead it keeps me awake all night, it works just the opposite for me . Go figure.
  17. llama

llama New Member

I was put on Zanaflex by my Neuro for insomnia. My sleeplessness is not really caused by pain (a little sometimes but I take Vicodin at bedtime).

I could only tolerate the side effects for 3 nights and then stopped it. It gave me terrible nightmares (almost hallucinations), an 8 to 12 hour hangover the next day and it really only allowed me to sleep for about 2 hours.

Well, good luck with it...as it's been said time and again on this board, everyone is different, so what's great for one person is awful for someone else!

...............Jill.................
  18. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Mine doesn't come in capsules (Re: the quote from mfgr. website 2 or 3 messages up -- sorry I can't remember who posted it).

Mine is little white pills.

Does anybody have capsules?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  19. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

to justjanelle...mine are not capsules either. mine are little round white pills but mine are only 2 mg though. a higher dosage may come in capsules.
    <3 Rachel
  20. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

Hi,

I take a tramadol+tylenol in a.m. and another tamadol in the afternoon, then switch to tizanadine one in early evening and a tizanadine+10 mg amytriptyline at bed time.

I have arthritis of the spine as well as Fibro. So the tramadol and tylenol is for the arthritis pan and the tizanadine is for muscle spasm and muscle pain.

I was actually prescribed tizanadine 4 mg 4 times a day and tramadol 50 Mg 4 times a day but this was just to much for me, couldn't keep my eyes open. My doctor told me just to adjust as needed and that is what I have done, it does seem to help both conditions to calm down though I am far from pain free.

Linda B