zelnorm anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gritman, May 7, 2003.

1. gritman

gritman New Member

here is the product information on Zelnorm for IBS :
    Zelnorm is the first agent indicated and approved for the short-term treatment of women with IBS whose primary bowel symptom is constipation. The safety and effectiveness of Zelnorm in men have not been established. Women with this medical condition suffer from the "ABCs" of abdominal pain or discomfort, bloating and constipation. An estimated 5% of women in the United States (approximately 6 million) have IBS with constipation as their primary bowel symptom.

Zelnorm acts as an agonist at 5-HT4 receptors and is the first agent in a new class of therapy. Zelnorm normalizes impaired GI motility, stimulates intestinal secretion, and inhibits visceral sensitivity, which are among the mechanisms thought to cause abdominal pain or discomfort, bloating and constipation in IBS. In the past, no drug was proven effective in relieving the multiple symptoms (ABCs) associated with IBS. Now Zelnorm provides:
    overall symptom relief and multisymptom relief of abdominal pain or discomfort, bloating, and constipation for appropriate IBS sufferers
    They go on to say that a safety profile and treatment protacol has not been estabkished for men. But, I happen to be male and it certainly helps me.
    Hope this may be useful to some of you who have these same symptoms as I.

May this Day find you well,
    Grit
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Haven't heard of this before....glad you have found something that brings you relief though. I lived with IBS for far too long--and all its unpleasantries. I was able to clear mine up with probiotics, and berberine complex.
    Best wishes,
    LL