ZMA How much and how long

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, May 8, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I just started the ZMA, has it worked for anyone and how long did it take.

Also what dosage do you take?

Thanks,

Sue in Ontario
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I have been faithfully taking ZMA for at least a year now. I get it on the automatic plan every 8 weeks. I usually take 2 a night, but have to take only 1 sometimes for it to last 8 weeks. My worst problem was falling asleep and from the first night, it made me sleepy and able to fall asleep. I probably get at least 4 hours of good sleep from it, sometimes more, and then I kind of drift in and out for another few hours. If I get to feeling that I need a little better sleep, I take 1/2 of a flexeril and that knocks me out for 6 hours straight.

The best part about ZMA is I wake up in less pain than I would without it. Believe me I have forgotten to take it some nights and I have way more pain in the morning than if I take it. As a matter of fact, I have been neglecting to take my magnesium during the day, and have been wondering why I have been hurting more lately. I started adding it back, and the pain is lessening now.

That has been my experience with it. This and extra magnesium are the only supplements I regularly take. I find it worth the price to be able to fall asleep and wake up in less pain.

Take care, Sally
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for the input.

I took two last night,but I didn't have a good sleep, still took my ativan around midnight to get some sleep, but I'll try it for at least a month.

Hope it helps me like helped you. I also take the fibro multi's and extra magnesium and today started stormy's shake recipe.

Take Care
    Sue
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

One when I go to bed; then about 4 hours later when I usually wake up, take the 2nd one.(+Klonopin)

That's along with my cal/mag, serotonin & calms forte.

If I'm having a bad night, I'll add my dalmane.

LIGHT**********carole
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

ZMA should not be taken with the Klonopin. The magnesium can block the Klonopin from working as well as it should. I take the ZMA about three hours before bedtime and if I forget, I don't take it at all.

When I first started the ZMA, it gave me too much energy, like a vitamin. I had to start it about noon and slowly move closer and closer to bedtime. I'm very sensitive to these things and only take one capsule. It's one of those thing where you have to adjust the dose.

Love, Mikie