ZMA/IBS/stomach problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MildredAnn, Dec 30, 2002.

1. MildredAnn

MildredAnn New Member

Has anyone who has taken ZMA, and has IBS experienced stomach problems. In some people with IBS too much magnesium can cause bowel problems. Does anyone know approximately how much magnesium is too much for IBS people? THANKS.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's better, as Mel said, when taking the ZMA to start out slowly to avoid stomach upset. ZMA has so many benefits that you will be glad you stayed with it. Sick with one capsule for a while before going to two.

Love, Mikie
  3. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

a yogurt a day helps me and also I take acidopholis after meals and stay away from too much dairy and gluten-those seem to be my triggers. I do have a medication prescribed by my doctor for the cramping when it is real bad called nulev--it helps a lot if I cheat and eat ice cream he he

Pay attention to what you eat when it acts up, you find that some foods are kicking it off. As far as ZMA-I do not take it. I take the ATP (magnesium and malic acid product for muscle aches) and it does not bother me.

cathy
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

May want to consider taking the following with your magnesium, if you have IBS:

1.A Good Probiotic
    2.A Berberine Complex-with Barberry,Oregon GrapeRoot, and Golden Seal
    3.Gastromyacin with Bismuth Salts and Licorice.

5. gala

gala New Member

What is ZMA? I have CFS and FM. Would it help me?...Gala
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have IBS, and have been taking ZMA for almost a year now. It does not irritate my stomach at all.

I had more problems with constipation and cramps than diarrhea, but the cramps were just like when you have the diarrhea.

I don't have this problem anymore.

Like the others said, start with one capsule at night, then see how you do, if your bowels are alright, then go to two.

I take the ZMA with at least 8 ounces of water.

I also take the Pro Energy in the morning on an empty stomach with water, no problems with this either.

As for too much magnesium, I know when I take too much, my bowels will be loose.

I take much more than the average person, and its no doubt the amount that my body needs.

Hope it works for you, it has so many benefits besides the deep sleeping.

Shalom, Shirl