ZMA Not Working!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kay194952, Jun 23, 2003.

1. kay194952

kay194952 New Member

Hello,

I'm new and I'm glad to see a message board on FMS. I've seen several messages about ZMA and had heard about through other sites. Does this take awhile to work? I've just started using it... 2 nights ago and it's not helping. Thanks.
    kay194952
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

If you do a search above in the "search message" box with ZMA in it. You will possibly find a message that advises some people to start ZMA in the afternoon and slowly work your way up to bedtime. Don't know why but you have to do this. I didn't know it and used it for a week and didn't sleep for a week. Hope this helps. -Karen
  3. kay194952

kay194952 New Member

Thanks... is it working for you now?
  4. kgg

kgg New Member

The magnesium in it bothered my stomach. And a zinc test showed I was low. So I started a separate higher dose zinc and receiving magnesium injections. If I ever get my stomach to tolerate magnesium again, I'm going to try it again. But many people on this board use ZMA and are helped a lot. Take care. -Karen
  5. kay194952

kay194952 New Member

Thanks, Karen... will try your advice on taking in afternoon. Take care... Kathy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

ZMA works for many, but it may take a little time. When I tried it, it had the opposite effect and gave me energy. I had to start out slowly with one capsule in the afternoon and keep taking it later and later. Eventually, I was able to take both capsules.

There are different formulae of ZMA. The one sold here works well. There are some types sold out there which do not.

Love, Mikie
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been taking ZMA by SNAC Co., which is the same product that is sold here at Pro Health for 16 months now.

This is the first time in my life that I sleep deeply for 7-8 hours a night.

It took at least 2 weeks to be effective. It does not work like a prescription sleeping med, the first time.

Here is what I take for sleep;

7pm 25 milligram of Xanax (for racing brain syndrome)

9pm 2 capsules of ZMA

Right before I got to bed, which for me is about 12 midnight, I take 2 1/2 milligrams of Melatonin (to help me fall asleep).

Before taking the ZMA, I took the Xanax and the Melatonin, but still woke up at the least 10 times during the night. I rarely got more than two hours of sleep undisturbed.

The ZMA also helped with the nightsweats, I don't get them as often as I did before taking ZMA.

It will also help if you have a constipation problem. I have a bowel movement daily now. Before I was forever fighting constipation.

I did try other brands, but they did not work. The only brand that does work for me is the SNAC/Pro Health which is the same product.

Hope it helps you as much as it did for me.

ZMA also helped with the muscle pain and the spasms.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2003]
  8. kay194952

kay194952 New Member

Hi Shirl,

Thanks for the email. Mike suggested I take in the afternoon which I did yesterday & only start w/1 pill... today I think I'll take it in the morning, as I still had trouble going & staying asleep... think I'll up my Elavil and/or my Tylenol PM, until this works. I'll check the brand name also... can't remember what brand it is. I'm going to keep taking it since so many people have recommended it... I would love to sleep even 5 hrs at one time.

I have IBS so don't have a problem w/constipation. Come to think of it, I may need to take something for it now, as well... you know.

Take care,
    Kathy

9. kay194952

kay194952 New Member

Thanks, Mike. I'm going to try it taking one in the a.m. as I still had trouble last night, but I'm not giving up! Can you tell me the brand you take?

Kathy
  10. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

Maybe that's my problem...I've taken ZMA for a long time, but in the past year, it's not been much of a help. I'm taking the brand originally recommended on here a long time ago. I didn't know that the store here sold it, I will have to check that out..

Thanks,
    Eve