Zoning Out While Driving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jul 28, 2008.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Does anyone else ever zone out while you are driving and you literally lose time. Like you don't realize how you drove a mile or several blocks, there is no memory of it? This happened to me this week again and it's scary. I only try to drive very locally to the grocery store or a doc or other appointment, otherwise, I just don't leave the place. I'm not on any meds except Pepcid AC. I don't like that it happens when I'm driving. I just blank out, zone out, and then I snap out of it and realize I was like driving on auto pilot. It's creepy and weird. And I have to tell myself to stay with it. And just pray I make it wherever I'm going.
  2. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

This happens to me all the time, and I am on meds. I find it helps to concentrate on land marks while I am driving. Like...oh at this intersection I will see the bank, and down the road is the grocery store. On the left side is the park...and so on. It keeps me on track and helps me from zoning out.

For some reason, having the radio on with soft music also helps.

I think it's just part of the fog.

3. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

This scares me too, because although I haven't zoned out while driving I do zone out at other times.

My live-in boyfriend and I were talking about doors in our house that need to be fixed or replaced the other day.

When I commented he said "What door are you talking about?"

I replied "The garage door".

He said "That conversation ended 10 minutes ago."

He has to say things like this frequently, and I am glad he tells me. No wonder people look at me like I am crazy when I say something in a conversation. I probably am saying something from a prior conversation.

So now I stay quiet and stay away from people. Thus the loneliness.

4. baeder31

baeder31 New Member

i understand this well too i have done this many times even with my 3 kids in the car, I have also started to fall asleep behind the wheel thank god with out my kids in the car,
  5. whoachief

whoachief New Member

It's so scary when you've been driving & you "realize" where you are but don't remember how you got there or worse yet that it's not where you are supposed to be!!!
  6. vito1234

vito1234 New Member

yes i do. I ve run red lights while waiting for green light.Scares my wife a lot.I only drive short distances now
  7. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I do this as well - have been doing it for years. But I also noticed that people without these DD's also do this - maybe it's just a driving thing?
  8. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I drove 1/4 miles to my mailbox. this is as far as I drive anymore, and i was focused on a squirrel that could not decide which way to go. Indecive critters. I waited for him to decide, and realized that i waited for at least 2 minutes past the time the squirrel had gone up a tree.
  9. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I still get to where I am going , but sometimes I have no clue how I got there. I admit that sometimes I am afraid that I will cause an accident. I don't drive unless I absolutely have to . My daughter drives mostly , but when she moves out of the house , then what ? I really don't want to lose driving privledges . Would there be restrictions on us if the police knew about our foggy driving ?

10. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I scare myself i run red lights, pull out wrong times forget what i am doing! My dr appt is hour drive and extremely hard for me to do! I did fall sleep when i took lyrica whenever i got in riding or driving sleeping hit me! I don't take it anymore but i don't focus etc.
  11. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

"Would there be restrictions on us if the police knew about our foggy driving ?"

You bet!

I live in Michigan and there is a sign in every doctor's office that they HAVE to take away your license for 6-12 months if there are dizziness problems. I don't know if they would see zoning out as a dizzy problem, but I am sure some doctors would be a real stickler about that!

12. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Lillie Blake

I live in Michigan too and I really don't want to stop driving . My doctors know that I get dizzy and zone out too but they haven't said anything . The thing is , though , that I would never want anyone else to suffer from an accident that I caused. This is a hard one.

What does everyone think ?

Are we dangerous to others with our zoning/diziness while driving ? I am reconsidering if I should drive at all.

13. onerose

onerose New Member

Lillieblake, I recently moved to Michigan, do you have a good doc that you could refer me to?
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

I don't think I'm a danger to anyone, yet.
    cause Im not unaware of whats going on or my whereabouts.

I just need to pay 100% close attention to my driving.
    I can't carry on a conversation well when I'm driving. I don't like the music to loud, etc.
    I have to remind myself of the 'red means stop, green means Go'

15. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

You may not be zoning out so to speak. Rather, you may be driving by rote, driving the same routes over and over so continuously that the whole act becomes mechanical and does not require any new thought processes. I do this once in awhile myself, but never in a new area where I have to concentrate or look for an unfamiliar landmark or address. Maybe this is what's going on with you too.

Besides, here in New York, the traffic is so bad and agressive in some areas it just forces you to concentrate; one of my 19 year old twins absolutely refuses to drive. I can't blame her in a way, driving here has kind of evolved into a kind of baptism by fire.

[This Message was Edited on 08/01/2008]
  16. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I think this happens to everyone, sick or not, at some point in their life. Everyone I know has had this happen to them at some point. I think it comes from driving somewhere where we are familiar. I am not sure what to do to stop except maybe keep the AC a little cool or have the radio on or something to keep your mind from wandering off.
  17. meowee

meowee New Member

I hate when that happens. I zone out in my own home, too. It is so scary when you are not quite sure where you are.
  18. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I just did this on Wednesday, driving to my daughters house. Couldn't remember part of the ride. I do think if a bad situation happened we would snap out of it, at least I hope so.

Great advice on this post.

19. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I dont think i call mine zone out. i don't do the drive and lose time i actually get distracted and forget i am driving. look at something and take my eyes off the road, find it harder making decisions lights changing, passing etc. Never did this i drove school bus before and now i scare myself.
  20. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I agree, I think maybe this is all part of driving by rote, it can get so boring at times.

Maybe at home when we forget what we are doing. Or in conversations that we don't remember.

Maybe we are just being too hard on ourselves, looking for danger where danger isn't, because of our other problems.

Stay cheerful everyone,