Zyprexa to Treat Medically Resistant Depression...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Amarylis, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Amarylis

Amarylis New Member

Today my Dr. gave me some samples of Zyprexa to add to the cocktail I am currently taking of 150 mg Zoloft and 100 mg Welbutrin. I've been on the antidepressant for over a year and have lately had thoughts of suicide. My depression seems to be resistant to many meds. He thought that adding this would relieve some of the disthymia I am feeling. Has anyone had successful results? What about weight gain? Sex drive (I am a female). I am sooooo readya to feel better that I am desperate for relief. I don't know if I can live a long life feeling as I do today-half alive.

Thanks!
    Amarylis
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My MD put me on several antidepressants. Welbutin can cause syncopation. That means short sessions where you pass out. It cost me an emergency room visit to learn it.

The neurologist couldn't find anything wrong with my brain and so put me on all the other antidepressants, one at a time.

I finally went to a D.O. and she interpreted it as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and then tested me for viruses. I have Epstein-Barr virus and Cytomegalo virus. The epstein-barr was so high it was off the lab chart. Viruses can be dormant (asleep), active (infectious & contagious) or Chronic (slowly growing & causing symptoms). Mine was CHRONIC all right.

CoxSackie and Human Herpes Virus-6 (HHV-6) are also culprits to test for.

My depression is slowly lifting after 5 months of transfer factors but just last week, I started juicing, this is notably helping too.

Dr. William Wong says to treat viruses with an alkaline diet, enzymes and oxy-boost. Eat a low sugar diet, since viruses breathe sugar.

3. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

Zyprexa really works for my mother who was in a severe depression...plus a few other things. Beware of side effects. There is a law suit on Zyprexa causing problems with your pancreas.

My mother ended up with pancreatitis.
    kayleen
  4. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

Did your doctor discuss the dangers of this drug with you before suggesting you take it?

Has your doctor discussed the dangers of drug interaction among your other drugs?

Why does your doctor have you on high doses of both Zoloft and Wellbutrin - both antidepressants, though one is an SSRI and one is an SSNRI - at the same time?

Are you getting any therapy besides the pharmaceutical drugs?

Zyprexa's link with diabetes and pancreatitis has been established, as kayleen mentioned above.

In addition, it has been shown to increase triglyceride levels, impair glucose metabolism, cause metobolic changes that lead to obesity, and may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Eli Lilly has announced a $700 million settlement for unintended side effects (diabetes) and failure to alert consumers of the risks associated with Zyprexa and Seroquel.

23 people have died after going into a diabetic coma caused by severe insulin deficiency after taking this drug.

Amarylis, you sound like you're in so much pain - and there are remedies out there besides pharmaceutical drugs that can help you.

I'd suggest seeing a different doctor who can come up with some better ideas for giving you relief from such severe depression.

Take care, and please reply to this thread to keep us posted on how you're doing.

Nancy

5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Amarylis,

I typically use Wellbrutin and Celexa to treat my clinical depression but once, during a time of very bad (increased) depression and high anxiety, I also used Zyprexa.

When I first started using Zyprexa, I felt very groggy but that side-effect eased up after a week or two. I had no problem with weight gain or sex drive issues. I used Zyprexa for about a year and found it to be very helpful.

When it was time to come off the Zyprexa, I did so (tapering off, under doctor's advisement) without any problem.

It's a powerful drug, that's for sure. But, should I ever need to use it again, I would. Of course, everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another.

My best to you,

Anne Theresa
  6. ll1816

ll1816 Member

My 16 year old son takes Wellbutrin and Zyprexa. When he was taking only the Wellbutrin, the change we saw in him was very little, but once the Zyprexa was added, my gosh, it really was obvious that it helped him tremendously. He is taking 5mg. at night. He has not gained any weight and has been taking it for 2 years. Some do gain weight though, but it's better than the alternative. What is your dosage?

By the way, I am taking Lexapro (20mg) and Wellbutrin (200mg). The Lexapro is an SSRI, like your Zoloft and the Wellbutrin works mainly on Dopamine and is in a class by itself. My neurologist said that many times, two different anti-depressants work well together and I certainly noticed a difference once the Wellbutrin was added.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Liz

[ advertisement ]