Search results | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

Search results

1. R

For those with CFS who have done 23andMe testing...

We have known for years that I have some sort of immune deficiency that makes me very susceptible to viruses and chronic EBV, CMV, Parvo and other infections. My immunologist was not sure about the exact cause, but I have been working my way through my 23andMe raw data and looking for...
  2. R

The Medical Reason for Pesticide Sensitivity

I recently got DNA testing done through 23andMe.com ($99). There is a plugin that you can use to look at your detoxification profile. It shows mutations called single nucleotide polymorphisms or SNPs that are occurring in the pathways that detoxify things like medications and pesticides. If...
  3. R

For Those with Chronic EBV - NIH Study Recruiting

There has been recent research on a possible gene mutation that can cause chronic EBV and susceptibility to other viral infections. It has to do with magnesium transport. My immunologist had mentioned it to me a few years ago, but now there is actually a study to look for mutations causing...
  4. R

Genetic Testing - Update

I haven't been active on the board for several years although I do still have the same symptoms. I developed chronic fatigue 40 years ago after a mono infection. But I just kept getting worse and eventually developed severe exercise intolerance and heart failure. Because one of my daughters...
  5. R

Ah the Drama

I take breaks now and then from the board and don't post much for several months because of other obligations. For the past few weeks I've had some time to read the posts regularly. I have to say that there is way more drama now than in the past (in my opinion). I'm not sure if it's just...
  6. R

Desertlass

I spent my high school years in Tucson and wondered if you had ever been diagnosed with Valley Fever. I apparently contracted it my sophomore year and felt awful. The doctors say that anyone who moves there will eventually get it and may never even know it, but apparently there is a more...
  7. R

Mold Related to Food Products

Even though I gave Erik a hard time this week I do believe that mold is a major factor in immune dysfunction. I am exquisitely sensitive to mold and perhaps detect it where others are unaware. In particular I have noticed that certain types of food packaging seem to harbor mold. Some...
  8. R

Grape Seed Extract Info

After reading the posts about grape seed extract I decided to give it a try, but was a bit concerned about how I would react since not everyone seems to improve. So far I only take 1/2 capsule at a time but have definitely seen an increase in my energy and no side effects that I can identify...
  9. R

Loss of Taste with Flexeril / Cyclobenzaprine

My husband has been taking Flexeril for back pain. He usually only takes 1/2 of a tablet (5mg) and no more than a few times a week. He took a dose last night, slept soundly, then this morning he woke up and couldn't taste anything. It kind of scared him and he wondered if he'd had a small...
  10. R

Light Box Therapy

I recently found a nice light box in a thrift store and decided to try light therapy for my insomnia and pain. I live in a very dark cabin and thought perhaps my serotinin levels were too low because I don't get enough light during the day. I started using it about two weeks ago and only have...
  11. R

Sudden Decline Numbers and Words

We spent several hours at the assisted living facility with my mom last week. She was fairly sharp mentally - pretty much the same as the past year or so. One of the reasons we were there was to install a storage bench in her room and put a combination lock on it so she would quit accusing the...
  12. R

Television Pain Relief

I know there has been a post resurfacing every now and then about the "snow" on the television helping with brain waves. This is a bit different...I have slipping rib syndrome, so after sleeping for a few hours I wake up in extreme pain. I can't take painkillers and have tried to find ways to...
  13. R

Clothing Issues

One thing that has baffled me as my mother's dementia progresses is her obsession with clothes rather than a decreasing ability to dress and match outfits. She has always been a clothes horse and loved to put together bright and unusual combinations (that looked good). While she's having a...
  14. R

Wigmoos

My mom is showing increasing signs of aphasia but is not going to go down without a fight. If she can't find a word and "thing" doesn't fit, then she'll make one up. Today she was ranting about the staff "stealing" something from her. Being a Christian she tries not to use dirty words to...
  15. R

Lifelong Trends Do They Contribute to the Problems?

I'm just curious how many of you see the current situation with your loved one as an exaggerated extention of a lifelong trend. My mother has ALWAYS misplaced things, from keys to glasses to important papers. She refused to be attentive to where she put things and rebelled against having a...
  16. R

Transfusion Advice?

I need to get a blood transfusion (my hemoglobin has been 5 for the past year and nothing will budge it). I've been putting it off because I tend to have such weird reactions to everything and although the doctors and blood banks act like it's no big deal, if you read the actual statistics of...
  17. R

Bathing Issues

My mom has a lot of mid-stage Alzheimer's symptoms but one thing that has not been a problem so far is bathing. In fact she is obsessed with bathing and washing her clothes. She takes a shower every morning, then washes out her clothes that she's worn that day every night. She lives in a nice...
  18. R

GMA Weekend and Chronic Fatigue

I had on Good Morning America weekend this morning and I'm pretty sure they said next Saturday they would be doing a segment on Chronic Fatigue. Did anyone else catch that? Jan
  19. R

Dependency with Klonopin

I have a friend with brain white matter disease (originally diagnosed as MS but now attributed to Lyme) who has had sleep issues for years. She's tried all the aids like Lunesta, Ambien, etc but they don't work consistently. The only thing she's found that really works is Klonopin and she...
  20. R

Sleeping Alone

This topic has come up a few times and I think the general consensus is that we sleep better in separate beds. I saw this little blurb about a study done in Austria that was interesting. Jan Sleeping Alone Better for the Brain, Say Researchers When one partner sleeps on the couch, it may...