Caution about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

Caution about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge

ProHealth CBD Store

rockyjs

After reading some of the recent posts about the Magic Eraser I decided to try it. Sure enough, there was no smell at all in the box or when I wet it.

The sponge did a great job cleaning soap scum off an old bathtub that never seemed to get completely clean and the chrome looked beautiful.

However after a few minutes of use my eyes started burning and my throat started swelling. The cautions on the box didn't look very ominous, so I looked up the MSDS on the Internet.

According the the data sheet, the ingredients are oxides of carbon, nitrogen and sulfur, aromatic compounds, formaldehyde and (yikes) hydrogen cyanide. So between the cyanide, formaldehyde and sulfur compounds I'm having a pretty severe reaction (and I even wore gloves). Be especially careful if you're allergic to bisulfites or sulfur dioxide.

It further states some of the toxic byproducts when it breaks down and says that it can be life-threatening if ingested by pets. I'm glad some of you with chemical sensitivities are able to use it, but please be cautious.

So much for my Magic Eraser :-(

Jan

stillfighting

Jan,
Thanks for the warning. I just bought a 2-pack to try it out, but haven't yet. I'll be sure to wear gloves and store them away from where the cats can get to them--definitely NOT in the bathtub!
Hilary

Milo83

for the warning Jan........I love them things, but I always wear gloves......

But I also did a stupid thing today, I got some Pledge in a pump bottle, says it does wonders for wood, and I usually always try to wear gloves for anything because of my Raynold's - well today for some reason, I didn't and now my fingers and hands are burning, so I read the fine print, which says, be sure to wash hands after gettting it on them.......WEll, I've been washing my hands through out the day after using anything, but my finger tips are killing me now............

Thanks again.......Love, Donna

Ancient1

Thank you so much for your research! I recently ordered a free sample, but it will go into a baggie and then into the trash without even opening it.

I am so sorry you had to suffer so. Know that you have saved another from such a horrific experience.

I am very sensitive to chemicals and so is my youngest son Sam. It may have sent us directly to the hospital.

Love, Susan

Shirl

Since all the hype on the board about them, I almost bought them, but when I saw 'keep away from pets', that changed my mind.

I have two young pups that will eat the paint off the walls if I don't watch them right now :) So anything like that would be a no, no around here.

Plus I have MCS too..............

Shalom, Shirl

Mikie

I am sensitive to a lot of things, but I used them without gloves and had no reaction. Lucky, I guess.

Love, Mikie

stillafreemind

Thank you so much for the heads up! I am going to town tomorrow and I had this on my list to pick up.

For me, its not worth taking the chance. Especially with the pets. I guess I will just have to use a little more elbow grease!!LOL!!

Sincerely..thanks again.
..be well..Sherry

RxAngel

Did you ever hear from me on your website?

I am sooo sorry that the erasers did that to you! It's too bad.

They have replaced every cleaning product in my house and garage - even the strong things like bleach and ammonia. It removes mildew and mold, scuffs, cleans leather, cleans the toilets, cleans mirrors, cleans walls, spot cleans carpets - that one little sponge has replaced cabinet-fulls of other toxic chemicals.

I use gloves, and rinse everything it touches. The good thing with it, is that I don't have to spray anything - the spray bottles of stuff kill me - having to inhale the vapors, especially the mildew remover stuff. Plus, there is literally no scrubbing involved with the sponges - stuff just swipes right off.

When my parents moved, my mom & I cleaned her whole house with the little things, and it was so quick and easy and scrub-free. It was literally a life-saver for me.

For me, since the chemicals are contained in the sponge and don't really become air-borne like the sprays or run all over the place like liquids, it is a much better solution for cleaning for me. Plus, since there is no odor to them, that too is a plus. I also find that my pets don't bother them at all - my Jack Russell took one little sniff and decided that wasn't going to be her midnight snack!

But, everyone should be very careful when trying something new - and again, I'm sorry it affected you that way.

RxAngel
[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2004]

rockyjs

Glad you're back again! I had kind of a rough night after the exposure, but I'm okay this morning. I think it probably had to do with sulfites since that's how I tend to react to them. Also I'd just had a bunch of blood drawn earlier in the day for lab tests. The more anemic I am, the more I react to chemicals, so that probably added to the problem.

It really is a great product and I wish I could use it around the house, but I guess I'll have to stick with my Bon Ami and scrubber sponge for the bathtub.

On the bright side I did find some natural furniture polish I tolerate. It's made by Earth Friendly products and is just orange oil and olive oil with an emulsifier. Orange oil usually bothers me (like in Citra-Solve) but this seemed to be much milder and I went to town polishing all my neglected furniture.

Jan

PS - I didn't see any messages from you - did you post to the forum? I have a very restrictive e-mail filter so it may have gotten thrown out. Try again and I'll watch for you. We were just trying to figure out if there's an alternative to Diamox for paramytonia congenita :)
[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2004]

SierraD

For almost all my cleaning, dusting & moping, I use:

1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water in spray bottle & shake. Use for dusting & most cleaning. I use with an fibrecloth. It works great. For moping floors, use same in bucket.

For kitchen cleanup on cutting boards & counters, use either vinegar or lemon juice full strength - if you still think that is not safe enough mix vinegar & peroxide together and this acts like an bleach without the bad effects for sensitives. This method can used in your bathroom, tub and tiles as well.

For whitening your tiles and the grout, use lemon juice straight and dousing thoroughly with it, let stand for few hours. Then use the vinegar & peroxide mixture to swipe clean.

For washing, use the vinegar & peroxide in cool to cold water wash. Amount depends on you - I use 1/4 vinegar from an large bottle & 1 medium bottle of peroxide per wash load. I rinse clothes thoroughly by doing 2-3 wash loads. this depends on the scent that has gotten into my clothes. - I also wash my clothes separate from family's, but we all use the same method.

For stains on clothes spray or dip clothing into straight vinegar and rub, if stain still there use an little peroxide & rub again. Always rinse with cold water afterwards.

Vinegar helps to remove odours and scents from your clothing, so with new clothing soak in vinegar and water for couple of days using 3/4 vinegar to 1/4 water, mix and then place clothing into it. Then you wash with your regular wash load.

Vinegar will also help with odours in anyroom in the home. Place it in bowls, jars or container of your choice and see what happens to those smells around your home. It's all I use and can use.

These are the things I do and thought I would past on because I know what it's like not to be able to anything but the above for everything in making my home and clothes clean. Getting an toxic overload from trying most of the products out today can be really harmful, especially to those who are chemically sensitive is really no fun at all.

These things really work and are natural cleaners. Learning what is good for yourself is essential but I used my amounts as an gauge that you can know that's safe.

Good luck.
SierraD
Canada

turquoise

Yikes Jan!
I am extremely chemically-sensitive and have gone through numerous ones of these with no obvious problem (usually wear gloves). I had no idea there was any sort of chemical in it. I thought it was just some sort of powerful microfiber. It rescued a linoleum kitchen floor for me that I thought would have to be replaced , have wiped down my kitchen cabinets with them. etc. I thought they were the greatest cleaning invention to come along in ages. Reality Check!! I have a new box of 2; you want mine? :)
Since half the time I can't figure out WHAT I am reacting to and have felt HORRIBLE lately, I think they are going to be history for me too. Alas!

Greenbean7

I didn't read the box, just used it dry! It worked. I cleaned the light switches in the bathroom and the walls in the entry way with it dry. Now I'll have to try it wet!

I don't usually have a problem unless there is a strong odor. Can't use amonia for example or oven cleaner.

Anyone know how to get my cruddy oven clean with out oven cleaner? We've lived there 5 years and it's getting pretty bad. Must be time to move again, then I can get my kids to come help clean up the old place!

Hugzzz!

Andrea4

I have Mr. Clean eraser...i used it today to break thru the scum on dh's tub. after reading th warnings, i may toss mine.

But, how can something really be "clean" if we're using such a nasty chemical? What about chemical residue? Does it completely rinse away? I know when i use ajax cleaner in my tub, i have to literally rinse and wipe for many minutes to rinse it all down...even using the "clean rinse" kind.

Andrea

rdthewave

I wonder what the heck the cyanide does?

I'm glad you posted this.......because I was about to buy this.

I think I'll stick to vinegar, baking powder, diluted hydrogen peroxide, etc.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Tammy

lley

Everyday I learn something new here. I bought a generic version of the Mr. Clean sponges and loved them. I sometimes don't have the hand strenght to scrub hard & these worked with out scrubbing.

I was cleaning last week and had one in my cleaning basket and when I went to use it, I couldn't find it.

Knowing I probably put it down somewhere and forgot, I started searching.

My new puppy had gotten it somehow and chewed it to shreds.
Thank God he didn't have any reaction.

Now I know and will be much more careful.

The cleaning tips were also a bonus.

rockyjs

I had read that there were a couple of similar products. The reason it works so well is that it's made from a melamine fiber that cuts through the soap scum. I wonder if the generic brands have the same chemicals added. I'll have to check -

Jan

After reading some of the recent posts about the Magic Eraser I decided to try it. Sure enough, there was no smell at all in the box or when I wet it.

The sponge did a great job cleaning soap scum off an old bathtub that never seemed to get completely clean and the chrome looked beautiful.

However after a few minutes of use my eyes started burning and my throat started swelling. The cautions on the box didn't look very ominous, so I looked up the MSDS on the Internet.

According the the data sheet, the ingredients are oxides of carbon, nitrogen and sulfur, aromatic compounds, formaldehyde and (yikes) hydrogen cyanide. So between the cyanide, formaldehyde and sulfur compounds I'm having a pretty severe reaction (and I even wore gloves). Be especially careful if you're allergic to bisulfites or sulfur dioxide.

It further states some of the toxic byproducts when it breaks down and says that it can be life-threatening if ingested by pets. I'm glad some of you with chemical sensitivities are able to use it, but please be cautious.

So much for my Magic Eraser :-(

Jan
just seeing this now as i was looking for info on latex-free sponges - scary....