Loneliness and vice versa | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

Loneliness and vice versa

ProHealth CBD Store

gb66

Patti, my ancestors were originally from Scotland, Ulsters. Before that, one branch of the family was from England. They ended up in Donegal Ireland. I've traced it back to about the 1500's. Lots of interesting people! GB

rockgor

Hi Kids

Me too. I have ancestors from Scotland, Ireland, and England. But the ones from Wales came first. In the 1600s. Can't remember the exact year. But about the time Harvard
was founded. Some of them went there too.

They were founders of Springfield, Massachusetts. The first city park was named after them. Gordon and I visited it on our trip of New England. I picked up several postcards from 1986 when Springfield celebrated its 350th anniversary.

The ones from Norway came over just before our Civil war and some during the War. Not sure about the ones from Germany and Ireland.

Thought I would visit all those countries after I retired. For some reason that didn't
work out. GB, do you know the song Dear Old Donegal? Patti, how about Scotland
the Brave? Lots of great tunes and singers on Youtube. Used to have many Irish
and Scotts records in my collection.

Hoots, Mon and May the road rise up to meet you.
Rock

gb66

Rock, I used to listen to lots of Irish songs. I've heard 'Dear Old Donegal'. I always tune in to QVC for their St. Patrick's Day offerings. I like to hear the music and the Irish brogues. They have sellers from Ireland presenting their products. Lovely accents. (The way I wobble when I walk, the road may rise up to meet me against my wishes!) GB

hangininthere

Hahahaha, you guys are a riot...the road rise up to meet you (smack in the nose), hahahaha.

My Dad loved to celebrate St. Patty's Day. I would email him "Erin Go Bragh!" One year he emailed back "I put on my green suit and strutting red."

I looked up what strutting red means, and it's something like drinking wine. Only he drank whiskey. And he had the snazziest bright green suit and hat. My son bought him a shilelagh that had his name inscribed on it.

The songs on this video sound slightly familiar, but I'm not sure.

I can't stand discordant music like the bagpipes. Can't stand wind chimes either. Don't like jazz music either. Mom was a jazz buff and played her records loud. I didn't notice when I was a kid, but as an adult I don't like the discordance of jazz.

Here are two catchy tunes.

rockgor

Morning, Kids

Patti, thanks for posting those two great songs. The band playing Semper Fi (Always Faithful) is the best band I ever heard. Their dynamics are incredible. They are precise
in managing the variations in volume. When I played in the High School band we played everything at the same volume. The band teacher was unable to get us to modulate properly. Even though he was an ex Marine who often talked tough. We use to make cracks about the metal plate in his head. I suspect it was just a rude joke.

Went to You Tube. Not sure, but I think that might be the Marine Band. Composer
John Philip Sousa was the Conductor of the Marine Band before he became famous. Meredith Wilson, who wrote The Music Man, played the piccolo in Sousa's band.
One of Meredith's books was titled And There I Stood With My Piccolo.

Scotland the Brave has been a favorite song of mine for decades. Love almost any
tune from Scotland or Ireland.

Here's a tip for you that you'll probably never need to use. If you don't like discordant music, stay far away from Chinese Opera. Gordon likes it. To me it's just noise with
lots of banging and out of tune caterwauling. The problem is we use the diatonic scale. They use, well, something else.

GB, hope things are OK at your casa.
Hugs, Rock

gb66

Just got a text/photo of my new, very new 15 minutes old greatgranddaughter! She's so cute. Mom and Babe are doing fine. They haven't decided on her name yet, maybe Jane. GB

gb66

Thanks Patti. I was concerned about her maybe going into labor during the hurricane. She lives in Raleigh NC and her due date wasn't until next Wed., the 17th. She did wait till the day after the storm though. I think they had some high wind gusts and a lot of road flooding.

I know she must have been anxious. She was a high risk pregnancy due to having Marfan's Syndrome. They are doing fine though. I'll know more later today when I talk to my daughter, she drove for 2 hours to be with her for the delivery. I imagine she ran into some bad weather too. GB

rockgor

Hi GB

How exciting to have a new member of the family. Lots of famous Janes. Russell,
Morgan, Kean, Calamity, Fonda, and Jane Seymour, Queen of England.

I read a couple times in years past that Lincoln had Marfan's Disease. Wikipedia
now says the evidence is not really clear.

Best wishes for Mom, Baby and the whole family.
Rock

Attachments

hangininthere

Oh Lord, I forgot your granddaughter was in the path of the hurricane. Thank God her and the baby made it through!

Patti

gb66

Rock, they didn't name her Jane after all. That's what the mom wanted to name her but dad wanted Charlotte. So, Charlotte Anne it is. She's a cutie, weighed 8 lbs. 1 oz. Not too large considering her mom aunt and uncle all weighed almost 10 lbs. I liked the name Madelyn or Emilee but hey, it's not my baby huh. lol

Patti, They didn't get too much bad weather where she was. Just some flooding and high wind gusts. GB

Last edited:

rockgor

OK, Charlotte's cool. There was a Princess Charlotte. Her father was one of the King George's of England. And Charlotte Church and Bronte and several actors including
Rae. Saw about 5 minutes of her show The Facts of Life a couple nights ago. Clearly
I was in the wrong demographic.

Hugs to Baby Charlotte et. al.

Rock

gb66

Prince William and Kate named their little girl Charlotte so there will probably be a lot of them now. I had forgotten about Charlotte Bronte. There was a Bette Davis movie 'Hush hush sweet Charlotte'. I wonder if they'll call her Lottie. Guess I'll get used to it. lol GB

hangininthere

I had a friend in high school named Charlotte. Called her Charlotte, not Lottie. I think Lottie is cute nickname for it. I never cared for the name until cute little Princess Charlotte recently, now I like the name. I like watching the Royal Family in news.

Ran across this interesting video about the Ulsters/Scots Irish of my ancestry going from Scotland to Ireland then coming to America.

The video also briefly mentions Kentucky, which I assume is where my great-something grandfather probably met and married my great-something Cherokee grandma, seeing as my dad was born in Lexington. And am partly German on my mom's side, as mentioned in the video, too. But don't know if those are the group on mom's side or not. The video mentions Donegal, too.

Last edited:

gb66

I really enjoyed this video. I'd love to see more of these. My ancestors on my mother's side of the family came from Ulster to Pennsylvania. There were some relatives from Donegal too.

They originally stayed with relatives in PA and then traveled down to South Carolina and Ga. I know one of my ggrandfathers was a captain in the Revolutionary War. He fought in Savannah, GA. Many generations back. He survived and I have a document telling about him asking for reimbursement for his rifle. It seems they had to provide their own weapons. He was then give a good deal of acreage to settle.

I love all this history. GB

Last edited:

hangininthere

While looking for your Ulsters who moved south, GB, I ran across this interesting Ulster music documentary.

Here's another interesting video about the Ulsters, including a brief mention of those who moved from Pennsylvania down to the Carolinas and Georgia.

Last edited:

rockgor

Thank you for posting the video about the Ulster men and their contribution to American
history, Patti. I had heard of Ulster, but didn't know it was a province of Ireland. I have no
information about my Irish Great Great, Great, Grandfather.

Eireann Braugh (May the road rise with you.)
Rock

gb66

Thank you Patti for these great videos. I've watched the first two and will watch the other two later. This really ties a lot of things together for me. I knew my grandmother's people were Presbyterian, ARP but always wondered how this came to be since a lot of Irish are Catholic.

I'm amazed at the number of presidents and other notables that were from the same regions. I have Scots/Irish on both sides of my mother's family and English/French/Irish on my father's. My mother was the only one who really looked Irish. She had red hair and green eyes, very fair skin and some freckles (all I inherited were the fair skin and a few freckles) lol GB