Pam D I hope you see this before tomorrow AM | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

Pam D I hope you see this before tomorrow AM

ProHealth CBD Store

desertlass

I saw your post on another thread. My father-in-law had AML (luekemia) in the early nineties. He has been in remission since then-- fifteen years, now!

I imagine that the improvements that have been made in the treatment for this will be on your side. I hope that it has been made more effective and easier to tolerate as well.

He has lived to see four grandchildren come into the world, and finished a long career project.

I will be praying that you will have every advantage needed to stay in remission permanently and be cured. Fortunately, this IS one illness where we can freely use the word "CURED"! Thank God!

I prayed for you the first time I saw that you had dealt with this when I first came on the board.

You are so great to be posting to someone else to stay courageous, when you, yourself are re-entering a dark wood you've already been through.

Bless you,
Lisette

pam_d

I'm so pleased to hear about your FIL...wow, 15 years! Now did he do that with a transplant, or chemo alone? Either way, that's longevity!

Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes, too---I try to stay positive, and just go forward from here. It helps to have all this great support behind me, though!

I'll keep you all posted from time to time.

(((Warm Hugs)))
Pam

desertlass

About my FIL, he was pretty good shape when he had it. He had a bad case of hepatitis that he picked up in Mexico, earlier that year, and that may have been what triggered the luekemia. But that is still just a guess.

He only had to recieve three months of chemo (one week on the drip, two to three weeks to recover, then start over). Somehow he stayed in remission. He was in the beginning process of the transplant registration, through City of Hope.

He credits his cure to the chemo, and the staying in remission to to taking high doses of barley green juice (he still takes the powdered form) mixed into carrot juice, once the chemo was over. He also had a bazillion people praying for him, too.

From a purely bio-chemical standpoint, there have been studies that show that barley grass have attacked cancer cells, as well as being able to repair the gut lining-- both pretty incredible things.

But we know that it is one thing to observe something in a petri dish, and another thing entirely to try to make something happen in our bodies. So many obstacles, frustratins, etc.

Oddly enough, though, the routine colonoscopy he had several years after doing all that chemo (which at that time was rough on patients' GI tracts) showed the colon to be as healthy as a teenager's. The doctor was amazed.

That was very wierd, because of his previous history of a lot of GI problems across the years-- from eating very bizarre foods/amoeba bacterial infections/diverticulitis and so on from traveling through South America and Mexico as a young man. (I'm talking being served monkey meat by hosting families that would have been rude to refuse).

So, that's one more reason why is very gung-ho about Barley green, and is sure that it would cure me of my CFS. I do take him seriously. But, as we have learned on here, not everything works with everyone's chemistry the same, so

Anyway, I remember the whole thing of finding platelets and the right blood type. Even today, he is still discovering people that will come up out of the woodwork all these years later to tell him that they donated, but they didn't make a big fuss at the time. They just are passing on how gratfiying it is to see him doing so well.

I think what was the hardest thing for him was that he had never been "laid low" by something before. The depression caused by the chemo was so much less understood in those days, and the meds weren't as refined. He kept feeling like he was a moral failure for having clinical depression.

I don't know if any of this helps, and your situation is of course somewhat different. He did not already have a chronic condition, he was an extremely phsycially tough guy in his fifties, and we strong-willed and was not a very good patient-- meaning he was anxious and demanding most of the time.

But sometimes, those patients do better-- he had the sense that he had to be in control. I think this is what frightened him so much-- to be so very OUT of control.

But now we are learning more and more about acceptance, and how that can be of benefit, too, so I think that there are many different coping styles and approaches that have advantages.

Whatever your style is, I know it will serve you well. Also, you have already had to learn to come to grips with a body that doesn't cooperate, and know the rigors of surviving poor health.

I sometimes think that it would be so much easier if I didn't have to live with this pain and suffering, but then every time I have a scare, as I did with chest pain a couple of weeks ago, I realize how desperately I want to see my family's faces again, and nothing can make me want to separate myself from them.

That is what keeps us enduring all of the craziness that we have to endure-- for love.

Sending much of that sustaining love to you and your family. I hold you dear, because I know what kind of a mark AML leaves on families. Just the phrases "eighteen months" "two years" and "five years" can bring up so many feelings.

So, I am praying specifically that you have five years of sustaining love-- whatever it takes to get to that mark.

Also, I will have my FIL pray for you, too-- because he will know exactly what your needs are, better than anyone. He prays for me every day, and has for the last seven years! I like to think that his faithfulness will be rewarded in recoveries for the people he prays for, and that means you and me! :)

Feel free to talk if you ever need to.
Lisette
[This Message was Edited on 03/08/2008]

Ginner

I am thinking of you as you go through this time in your life.

Bless your heart and your families, for the tough times.

I will watch to see any reports on your healing.

Take good care. All will be well.

God is good.

Ginner

pam_d

Your FIL sounds like quite a guy, and has let a pretty interesting and exotic life! I'm glad he's still doing so well.

I actually was pretty healthy going into AML the first time; I'd been walking a lot, the FM has pretty much been a non-issue since going through natural allergy therapy a couple of years before...and though I worried about having a flare during or after chemo treatment, it never reared its ugly head. So I was very thankful for that.

In the almost two years before my recent relapse, I became an even more avid walker, logging about 25 miles a week. And working full-time, which I miss terribly, BTW. So I still feel pretty good about the shape I was in pre-relapse....I mean, I'm grateful I wasn't struggling with other chronic illness.

About your dad's colonoscopy, which is excellent, and I'm sure he feels great about that....my Gastro doc told me that mine, too, looked good, and that effects of chemo usually do go away for most people. I was religious about my probiotics after my treatment was over; I credit them with getting my GI tract back on an even keel (of course, they are verboten when your counts are very low; any bacteria, good or bad is, like what might be on fresh veggies/fruits).

I'm more worried about this go-round because the transplant brings on a whole 'nother set of more serious issues from the use of donor marrow, no matter how well-matched; recurrent GI problems can be common. But I'm hopeful I will be able to avoid or at least manage these issues once my tx is officially over.

Thanks so much for telling your FIL's story, and for the prayers and good wishes.

I'm just at the "down" point after chemo, hopefully my blood counts should start trending upward from here. Then I'll have a bone marrow biopsy to determine if I'm in remission or not....keeping fingers and toes crossed....remission's usually harder to achieve the second time around.

Hi Pam, I'm new to this. Somewhere I read about you taking pills for a pre-med alternative to a colonoscopy. Bless you if they'll give me these. I was so ill with the gagging stuff I couldn't go through that again. I'm certainly going to ask.