PORCH # 1151 IS NOW CLOSED | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH # 1151 IS NOW CLOSED

ProHealth CBD Store

springwater

F6D6F994-B884-4B30-A8DD-91E95719DFFD.jpeg

Hi everyone..thought i would post some humour to open, everyone seems fond of cats here, so...

——————————

Everyone ...please read the lovely posts on the last page of previous porch before posting here.

Barry - have to say you surprised me with your chatty post. But so good to read. Yes, the amount of plastic around. i wish it were never invented. We are getting by somehow or other, what about our grandkids?

What will it be like for them? Maybe there will be a scientific break5hrough and someone will 8nvent some method to make plastic biodegradable.

It breaks my heart when i see fish in the deep sea being found full of plastic in their bellies.

about black cats, or any colour, i dont think they bring bad luck.

Mikie - is the house deed matter completed? i know you were handling that matter too. Among so many other to do’s. i wonder how your half brother feels. Now that he and his sibs know about you. i know one or two kids in their early twenties whose dads went away when they were infants. They dont want to know about their father.

Rock - lol at 6ou fight8ng 5he fans. Thank goodness it is st8ll rain8 g some here. i saw some mystery book titles, 5hey popped up when i was visiting some site. i will copy 5hem and post for you.

Sun - i was rather messed up and struggling with clinical depression when my kids were born and growing up. My DH had a dad who broke the guitar he had borrowed from a friend and was strumming. Shouting at him to study and music was for good for nothings. This was when DH was in college. He spent months of pocket money trying to pay off the cost of friends battered guitar.

So i think we gave our kids extra love and let them make 5heir own decisions. knowing we ourselves werent 5he best parents.But we kept our eyes on 5hem, in case they went wrong.

Granni - i dont feel mo5ivated to go to 5he g6m but i do swim. its easier to work out n 5he water. Your food at 5herestaurant sounds delicious. we donthave man6 Mexican restauran5s here.

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Sunday Morning, Kids,

Spring, thanks for starting a new Porch and with such hearty good humor. It was cats that had Joe and me laughing so hard yesterday. His MIL was a cat lover and, when the family gathered in the family room, the cat would be up on the counter walking around the food and no one thought anything about it. He and his sons never ate when the cat was around. He also told me about when they went on vacation to some island in the Caribbean. The restaurant had a dessert cart sitting out. There were cats licking the desserts on the bottom shelf and they were serving it. AACCKK!! Sounds to me as though you and DH did a great job of parenting. I raised my girls to be independent and learn how to make decisions through trial and error. It has served them well. I had to be independent because I was an only child of a working Mom. Didn't want the girls to grow up dependent just because I was home and didn't work while they were little. I called the county and all I have to do is go to the records dept. and get a copy of the deed. Joe doesn't have one either so we will go together. It's downtown so maybe we will stop for some New York style pizza. Thanks again for opening up a new Porch.

Sun, I'm sure with these DNA and Ancestry sites, this same drama will be playing out again and again. It was difficult growing up without a father and very painful when I found out in my 20's that he had abandoned Mom and me when I was a baby and never looked back. I've dealt with that pain and moved on and don't need painful reminders. I don't want to burst my biological father's sons' bubble about what kind of parents they had; they are blameless in all this. I just hope they don't continue to pursue any kind of 'reunion.' It's the same with my ex who abandoned me and the girls. I've moved on but he just won't let it go and his own guilt and remorse keeps him pushing for seeing me here. Like Greta Garbo, I just want to be alone. I'm laughing about Clare's untidy habits in the box but I'm sure it's not funny to you. SV is a very enthusiastic box user and he goes to great extremes to cover his mess. I had to get a big covered box to keep the poop from flying out when he was pawing madly to cover it.

I'm off to read the real big Sunday paper. Been having some stress related pain in my head. Hope I get a break from all this family business. I hope everydobby's day is blessed and beautiful.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

Hi ta Hi Fellow Porchers

Thanks for opening up, Spring. Took me a while to get the joke of the pic you posted. I didn't notice the words printed
on the ceiling at first. "Lock and purr" reminds me of Sir Walter Scott's poem about Young Lochinvar who "came out of
the West". I wondered why the crazy man was holding the cat as though it were a rifle. Some people think cats can
see in the dark. If they ever remake "A shot in the Dark" they could add some cats to the cast.

You think that cat is dead or alive? Maybe it's like Schrodinger's cat. It's Both.

Mikie, your post illustrates why some people are cat haters. But their real target should be the people who allow bad
and/or unhygienic behavior. When I was a kid the lady two doors down from us had nobody knows how many
cats: somewhere between 6 and 10 I guess. Her house smelled of cat urine. We kids didn't go inside, but we
frequently played in her front yard. The place had the only croquet set in town. The cats were all grey tabbies. I
don't know how she could tell one from the other. Maybe she didn't bother.

Nothing new here except Gordon has 2-3 Vandas in bud. They should be blooming any day now. Speaking of Garbo
I saw her movie Ninotchka a year or so ago. I thought it was a big bore with a bad script. Notch for me. It got a lot of attention because it was her first comedy. Advertised as "Garbo Laughs." She was one of the few people in Hollywood
that Louis B. Meyer couldn't push around. She wanted a raise. He said, "No". She said (according to legend), "I tink
I go back to Sveden." Louie gave her the raise.

Hugs and flowers to all
Rock

Granniluvsu

Good Morning Porchies,

Just popped in for a few minutes but will have to leave for church soon.. Thx SPRING for your funny new Porch. Kitties are so funny. I would have one but DH is not much of a cat lover. I think his mom thoughts they were spooky and were definately not to be on kitchen counters for sure. When DD first got her kitties they were trying to keep them off counters and table tops well, that is not happening now, is all I can say. They are so independent and know what they love to do which is climb everywhere. These cats are pretty clean they get baths every now and then too. They are indoor cats for sure and wouldn't know what to do if left outside except probably get lost.

It makes me sad to hear about anyone losing a parent one way or the other but glad those of you that had to go through it have gotten stronger by having to live through it. My parents we old fashioned and very hard working plus just very good people

MIKIE - That N Y style pizza sounds so good. I am a great pizza lover from way back and coming from NY it is my fav.

Hugz to all and I hope to get back this afternoon sometime.

Not much new here.

Love,
Granni :)

rockgor

hi everyone,

as rock stated in his last post i have two new vandas blooming under the shade cloth. one is whitish on the top two pedals and a light lime green on the bottom two pedals. the other one is a rusty/orange color with smallish brown spots all over. i also have 4 other vandsa in spike that are in spike for the first time. i bought severals vandas in the past two years from thailand where they are native.

well, it looks like our 'bad speakers' list will continue with next month's meeting. the speaker has a orchid nursery and will be speaking about phalaenopsis - the moth orchid which is now available just about everywhere that they are considered disposable. in the past he has not spoken at many orchids clubs around the southland but continued to attend the various orchid shows across the country. to sell his wares. he has a high opinion of himself and only has one topic that he would speak about - phalaenopsis. phalaenopsis has fallen out of favor with growers and we had a hard time selling them at the last auction (some went for as low as $5.00). i should bring a book and go outside to the lobby and read. we'll just have to wait and see who be speaking next month. too bad raymond burr is no longer with us as he was a orchid grower. heard he also bought an island to grow them.

re the ghost orchid. they seem to grow in swamps where it's hot and humid. locations are not widely known so as to protect them from poachers. their flowers are a dull white as looks like a person with arms and legs spladed, thus the name.

well, i have to go out and water my plants before it gets too hot here.

later.

gordon

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping and will not be responding. DD just called and her 17 year old little terrier is dying. It's not unexpected but she and DSIL are devastated. He is not in distress but has stopped eating and drinking. He seems to be sleeping deeply and coming out of it from time to time. They want to let him pass at home in his own bed with them by his side if possible but will take him to the ER if he becomes uncomfortable. It's breaking my heart for them. I will be praying for a quick and comfortable passing and would appreciate any prayers y'all can spare. Thank you so much.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Mikie: So sorry for your DD and SIl. It's heartbreaking when a family member dies. My DH and i took turns sitting with our dog Katie years ago when we knew she was dying. And years ago a favorite cat was very ill on a saturday. We really didn't have the $ to pay for an emergency trip at that time. My DD sat in the back of the car with our cat, while I drove there, all the while praying that God would take her BEFORE we had to pay $ needlessly. Halfway there my DD announced that she had died so I turned the car around and went home. We buried her in our garden.

Gordon. Did you know that Cal Poly Pomona was the receipient of Raymond Burr's orchids. It was my understand that they were rare and kept in a special greenhouse there. If you're interested I would call Cal Poly and ask about them. Also, they used to have a special sale of their orchids in january. I went there several time to buy orchids from them. I gave up tying to grow orchids, now I just paint them.

Spring: Thanks for starting up the new post. Years ago we had a cat who allowed one son to do that with the cat....it would stretch out in his hands as he held him. .....total trust. Actually my DS is very good with training cats. He trained their cats to do a lot of tricks, but sadly the cat died and having a small apartment and two little ones they just can't get another one right now.

What an awful thing for your DH's father to do with the guitar.

I'm moving slow today. Almost 10 am and still haven't gotten into the shower or decided what i feel like doing today.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Doing better. It was just hard to talk to my daughter who is so devastated.

Granni, I went online and read about washer and dryer brands. All the Whirlpool brands, including Maytag and Amana, got good reviews from those who service them. They are made in America and parts are easy to get. Also, it's easier to find servicepeople who know how to work on them. Lowe's is having a sale. The Maytag front loader washer and dryer I looked at were $750 each on sale with $160 mail-in rebate for each. That is a really good deal and they are nice looking. They have all kinds of other brands and models on sale too. Just thought I'd pass it on. I'm sure all the appliance dealers are having Labor Day sales.

Rock, yes cats can be sneaky and ill behaved and they are notoriously difficult to train. Some people have a gift with them and some cats are easier to train. SV will do most anything I ask but his sister, Tweety, is obstinate and ornery. People also used to think cats sucked babies' breath and killed them. My MIL lived in fear that our cats would kill our kids. My one cat loved the girls and would sleep with them. When older DD got the mumps, one of our cats stayed in bed with her the whole time only getting up to eat and use the box.

Gordon, your orchids sound beautiful. Wish I were there to see them. It's a shame that you have those boring speakers at the meetings. It's difficult enough for me to sit for long periods without having to listen to some bore go on and on and on. I've seen the big ghost orchid in the Everglades near me down here in pics taken by experts. As you say, they don't divulge the exact location in order to try to protect it. It's not a terribly attractive bloom and I think it's the rarity that makes it valuable. Thanks for posting. Always good to see you on the Porch.

Spring, thanks for your kind words. It doesn't help that our skies here are dark and overcast. My old cat died on a Sunday and I remember how awful it was. Like most people our age, we didn't wait til we could afford kids, we just had faith and plowed on. It made it difficult when unexpected expenses came along. I am hoping Calvin passes soon and hope they don't end up having to take him to the ER. They can afford it but I think it would be easier for them all if he passes quietly at home. DD said what they are going through is what she has seen the families in Hospice go through when their loved ones were passing. My Mom's passing was hard for us all but it wasn't unexpected. DD's best friend died suddenly of an aortic tear and I think each loss just bring back that trauma and pain.

OK, gonna go do something or nothing. Can't decide which--the hallmark of the ADD mind according to the book I'm reading. Also found out that sensory overload is prevalent in ADD. It is in FMS/CFIDS as well. No wonder I suffer from it. Again, hope all y'all are having a good Sunday.

Love, Mikie

Reactions: bct

Granniluvsu

Hi Y'all,

MIKIE - Thanks for the info on W and D. I knew some of that already and I know that Labor Day Sales will be everywhere but I know also that DH will not be going all over Gods creation looking for one. We looked at Loews the other day and they had some nice ones but not the same as you mentioned. It will probably be Conns, Lowes or Home Depot in our little town or what was a little town. No longer, to many people already.

Yes, it so hard for the owners of kitties and doggies as well when they pass. They become like one of the family. Cats also can be very loving but on their own terms. They usually don't show it like the doggies do.

Not much new here really, I just wish I had more vim vigor and vitality which left many years ago. I know you all understand and this pain stinks along with everything else.

Nice to hear also from ROCK, SPRING and SUN. Yes, it is very sad when a furbaby leaves the family. It effects everyone. My son and DDIL have lost two of their sweet doggies. It was really hard for them as they have no children and wanted them so badly.

Gotta run for now and switch the wash or put it through the spinner again. It is probably still pretty wet.

Missing all our MIA's, JULIE, DUCKIE , et al that I cannot remember at the moment. o_O

Love to you awl,
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Decided to order a pizza from Pizza Hut. The one I ordered about a year ago from Dominos sucked big time. For a long time, I couldn't get the online ordering to work. It has been changed so I built pie to order. Just hope it's good. Used a 40 percent off coupon and a large pie was still $14.99. Yee gads, how much do pizzas cost nowadays? Then, there's tax, delivery fee and a tip for the driver. This is gonna be one expensive pizza. Oh well, who cares? Nothing else looks good to me and I'm not up to cooking.

Joe stopped over to get my newspaper. I'm through with it. He said the delivery people got the papers delivered but the papers didn't go out to the stores. We laughed again about his MIL's cat. Don't know why it's so funny but just hearing him tell about it in his NY accent makes it hilarious. It's good to get my mind off my kids and little Calvin. I've been praying for a quick and painless passing. I know how hard this is for them.

Granni, I got an email from Lowe's because I have a card there. You can sign up for one if you don't have one and you get another five percent off the sale price. Or, you can opt for payments with no interest. Depending on how much you spend, it could be a year, a year and a half or two years interest free. With the rebates on the Maytags, it's pretty reasonable by today's stds. I've always been happy with Lowe's and only had a problem once with the delivery guy they subcontracted out to. The last guys who brought my microwave and stove were sweethearts and took them over to Claudia's when they were through here. Whatever you do, I wish you good luck.

OK, the pizza will be here soon so will bid y'all adieu.

Love, Mikie

Update: DD just called and they took Calvin to the vet where he died peacefully. Kids are fried and sitting out in the back yard having a bit of wine. We cried but it was kinda tears of relief that he's with his brother Dino on the Rainbow Bridge. Thanks for anyone who helped with prayer.

Granniluvsu

MIKIE - Boy have I or we gotten lazy and cheap. MOst of the time we buy pizza frozen from SAM Club and they aren't bad when you add some of your own stuff to them, We also get the thinner crust which of course does not taste as good but is better for our diets. Seems like everything is bad for me these days so who cares. Gotta eat what you like at least once in awhile.

I've been fiddling around on the computer and doing some stuff I needed to do so I need to go now and check the wash. Darn old washer. What do you want with an almost 17 year old machine. So sorry about dear Calvin and the kiddos having to deal with it. It is always very sad.

The only thing I miss about the real newspaper is the ads. Never could do those cross words but then I never really started them or had much time to do it and many are just repeats after you have done them. However, never started. I do some crosswords once in awhile but they are easier than on the ones in the paper. Wish I had them now (the ads) but any will also come in the mail too. That is about all we get ads and crap in the mail. So what else is new. Whine, Whine, whine !!! Sound like you MIKIE he he. :D

Love, Granni :)

Mikie

Granni,

Funny, when someone else says something, it doesn't sound like whining but when I do, it definitely sounds like whining. Oh well, venting is good. You can always go online to see any store's weekly ad. I get the sales info by email because I have their card. Used to be that Black Friday was the lowest price but I've found Lowe's big sales on other holidays are as good. It's lucky your machine broke down close to the Labor Day Sales. Thank you so very much for your sweet concern and kind words. They really do help. It's always so hard to know our children are suffering. Losing pets is the price of loving but it surely is hard when it happens. Hope you and DH don't have to work hard on that laundry. I forgot to check to see when those prices are good but they usually are when the emails go out. It was one of those sales when I got my microwave for about half price and my stove at a big discount. Wasn't worth waiting til Black Friday. Again, good luck with everything.

Love, Mikie

Mikie

Good Monday Morning, Kids,

Another start to another week. Hope to be more productive this week. The appts. start in Sept. and I'll be glad to get everything caught up. Right now I'm a mess, a combination of recent stress and allergies. I took acetaminophen last night for my stress headache. I sent the kids a pretty email and attached a wonderful poem in honor of Calvin. DD acknowledged it and said it was beautiful. The healing will begin. Other DD called and we felt the need to release with some humor. I told her about what Joe said about his MIL's cat and we laughed and laughed. We needed it.

Rock, I'm so sorry you lost your post. I still do the highlight and save because it's happened to me too. I think these new keyboards are so sensitive that we can wipe out our posts by just hitting the wrong key when we post. I don't know how it happens but it's really annoying. I have a joke DD told me. A ranch owner tells his cow hand to round up 18 head of cattle. The cowboy says, "Ok, that's 20." This is a joke that may take a minute to get. Some never get it and some groan when they do. DD and I think it's really funny.

OK, Kids, I'm off to read the v paper. Hope all y'all have a great start to the week.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

This is hard to believe. My response to Mikie's Western math puzzle that I posted an hour or so ago vanished.

OK. Will try again. If you round off or round up a number, you increase it to a sum that's easier to work with. For
example: We counted the shoe boxes in the storage room and there were 146 plus
some unboxed shoes in the corner.
Let's round up the number to about 300 shoes.

I hope that's right. I can't do arithmetic in my head anymore. I believe I'll have to give up posting till I get a new
computer. But frankly the odds of that don't look so good.

Hugs, Rock

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

OK....call me dense....i don't get it.

My cleaning lady just left. She's such a nice person, does a great job on vacuuming but.....the bathrooms floors weren't washed or even vacuumed. *&^%$#@. So I just got done washing them and the baseboards. She still has shoulder pain from the auto accident. I keep telling her the vacuuming with that arm and shoulder isn't doing her any good. Anyway, at least my carpets all look good.

Feeling like I was run over last night. And I mentioned to her about painting shoes for my DGS. Wow, big news. Denim painted is back with big prices. Maybe I'll hit the thrift store and look for some jeans or jackets at giveaway prices and do a little painting.

And come wednesday I'm finally having my windows washed. I think it's been about 2 years!!!!!! I used to do all 9 sliding doors and assorted big windows myself but those days are long gone.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just woke up from my second deep nap. I knew things were stressful the last couple of days but didn't realize just how tired it made me. I hope all this sleep will restore me. This is CFIDS/ME/Sjogren's exhaustion at its worst. It's lie down before I fall down and then go into a coma. Yikes!

Rock, be sure to tip your stylist well. I tipped the guy who delivered the pizza well. Y'all know I'm not religious but I am spiritual and sometimes, God puts it in my mind and heart to do things. He put it in my heart to double the tip. I never ask why; I just have faith and do it. I see it as an opportunity. My life is so blessed and, if I can bless another's life, even in such a small way, I'm happy to do it. Wish I could do more. Glad you got the joke.

Sun, not everyone gets it. Read it and see whether the words could be taken in a different meaning or context. Sorry your floors didn't get done and sorry your poor cleaning lady still has shoulder problems. I kinda wondered whether painting denim would get you into it. Barb next door used to paint little things on her tee shirts. It's been longer than two years since my windows have been cleaned except for the sliders and kitchen window I can reach. Our heavy rains are the only thing the bedroom windows get. I took the screens off of them because I don't open them. Too many allergies to have them open at night. Hope you didn't mess anything up in your bod by cleaning the floors.

Think I'll finish off the pizza. I had it for lunch too. It's sooo good and won't taste as good tomorrow. Hope everydooby has a wonderful evening.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

OK, Now both my answers to Mikie are gone. Well, I'm gone too.
Hugs, Rock

PS Somewhere I read that the rounding up of numbers was invented by a guy named BoB
Sinclar in the 1960s. That's ridiculous. We were doing it in school during the 1950s,

springwater

Mikie - so sorry to hear about Calvin. i can feel your DDs familys’ pain. I pray they heal at an accelerated pace and only remember their little fur baby with fondness and no pain. He seems to have lived to a ripe old age. How fortunate for him he was so loved.

i will be back later.

God bless24AAD161-D6D4-499C-AB17-45DE3B252439.jpeg

this flower turns transparent when it is wet.

Mikie

Good Tuesday Morning, Kids,

Slept well and am hoping the horrible exhaustion is gone or, at least, lessened today. Exhaustion from stress is the worst. DSIL posted to me on FB that both he and DD felt Calvin sleeping next to them that night but not the old and sick Calvin, the young and healthy Calvin. I can't believe all the messages of condolence that they had on FB.

Rock, sorry you keep losing your posts. Maybe Gordon can shed some light on what is going wrong.

Spring, thank you so much for your lovely post. Those flowers are amazing and beautiful. Yes, Calvin was so very loved. I think that they felt him with them in a happier and healthier form will help them heal. Thanks again.

If SV outlives me, one of the kids will take him. Joe would do it too but the kids want him if that should become necessary, SV not Joe. :) That gives me comfort. Nancy just lost a family member and Claudia's Mom is fading away. We comforted one another last night. It's so nice to have such good friends. We consider ourselves sisters. I consider all my Porchies as family too. Thank you all for always being here.

Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie

• Love