PORCH #1152 IS NOW CLOSED (8/31/19) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH #1152 IS NOW CLOSED (8/31/19)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

fall.jpeg

Happy Saturday Morning, Kids,

Time for a new Porch. We had hit 50 posts! Be sure to check it out. Spring posted some beautiful pics. Because so many of us think of fall when September arrives, I've posted a pic of a beautiful gnarly old tree in all its fall glory. Good news--the hurricane track projection has shifted a bit to the east and the eye may not actually make landfall in FL. Even so, the whole state will feel the effects but, if the track holds, we won't get hurricane level winds here. I'm not doing my happy dance yet because these storms can do all kinds of erratic things but this is tentative good news. Joe just called to make sure I have everything I need. If we get tropical storm level winds, we could lose power. Thursday as I was driving to the gas station and Publix, I looked around at how beautiful it is here with all the palm trees. The storms often rearrange everything and afterward, everything looks dead and dirty. It takes a while to get back to normal.

I have another load of laundry I need to do and need to clean the tile floors. Gonna go on the optimistic belief that the storm will veer offshore and we won't lose power. Claudia said that after Irma when it was 95 degrees and 100 percent humid and we had no A/C, both her cats were trying to sleep on her. AACCKK! Cat fur on sweat! SV snuggled up next to me on the lanai floor but didn't try to climb on top of me. That was only for three nights. After that, our kind neighbor across the street offered his townhouse to me and Joe. He had power.

Spring, you and DD look so beautiful. Love your festivals. Most of our holidays here revolve around cookouts, beer and mattress sales except Christmas which, for many people, revolves around greed and debt. There are still those who celebrate the real meaning of it and Easter too. I've always celebrated the true meaning but I also love all the ancillary festivities including the food and decorations. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it's a day of giving thanks for all our blessings and for having family around. I think honoring husbands is a wonderful idea. I assume there is also a festival for honoring wives. The top DD has on is the kind of top I look for but have difficulty finding. I recently got one with a similar print but is in yellows and greens. I'm pretty much fixed for tops now. Nepal is about ten hours later than we are here. Didn't look to see what time that is GMT. In aviation, it's called Zulu Time. The storm isn't supposed to hit us now til Tuesday but it's still too early to know just when it will hit us or, at least, come near. Thanks for your good wishes. Glad your DB is better and I hope the infection is gone.

Rock, if you decide to get a Kindle, the books load instantly like magic. Looove my Kindle. Glad Gordon was able to save your email. Sounds as though your computer keyboard does the same thing as mine. It will highlight something almost instantly and, if I hit any key, it will wipe it all out. That is why I highlight and copy everything. Sooo frustrating. Thank you for your good wishes too. My DSIL collects cook books. I gave him one my Mom had almost all her life. Since I don't cook much anymore, I have been giving him some of mine. I am reading the first book in a series about the lead-up to the Civil War. It centers around a family that has a plantation and deals with slavery. Hard to read at times but is a very compelling story.

Just on the news that Valerie Harper has died. She lived years longer than the docs gave her after her diagnosis of cancer. She was a great entertainer and activist. A whole generation of beloved entertainers are passing. I remember when entertainers from Mom's generation were passing. Carlos Castaneda wrote that death should sit on one shoulder like a bird, reminding us that life here isn't forever and we should live it to the fullest. Back in the 70's, it was very trendy to read his books.

OK, I'm off to read the paper online. Guess we will get a read paper tomorrow because the storm won't be a factor. Even the garbage collectors will make their rounds on Monday. Hope everydobby has a great weekend and thanks again for all the good wishes.

Love, Mikie

Update: The Weather Service has shifted the storm track even a little bit farther to the east. Of course, the storm could do just about anything but this is good news. The new computer models are pretty good at predicting the storms. Two thirds of these storms stay within the cone of uncertainty. The closer the storm gets to our shores, the more accurate the models will become.

DD called from CO. She and DSIL are doing better following Calvin's passing. DSIL's injuries are healing too. He is driving and only wearing the boot part time. We had a nice long chat. DD is back to working with children, which she loves.

I've run out of my Adrienne Arpel skin care cream and went to HSN to order a two pack. DD had given me a gift card that I had almost forgotten about. So, I'm getting it free. I always think of our dear Diane when I use it. She was sold on that brand too. I miss her.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bct

rockgor

Hi Kids

Was here about an hour ago. Did a post. Gordon showed up as I was finishing. He tried to add
a sentence or two and the post vanished. Last night I wrote an e mail to my MN brother. It
vanished. Gordon said Mikie told him what to do to bring it back. Worked. But this morning
the same technique did not work.

I spend more and more time away from the computer now. It generally works best when I
am listening to old songs on Youtube. All the great singers seem to have passed on. Oh,
the computer just made a noise similar to a door chime. Wonder what that was all about.

Hugs, Rock

sunflowergirl

Rock:. Maybe Gordon needs to take the computer back to the guy who put it together. Computers are greatly needed in our age but also frustrating when they don't work. I'm having feelings that my dependable Ipad is getting not so dependable.

I'm just finishing up listening to another Masie Dobbs novel.....love them. I get the complete CDs from the library and wear a walkman around the house and outside so I'm doing two things at once. There's no way I would be able to sit and read....actually hold a book.

Mikie: Valerie Harper really lasted a long time with this brain cancer. I did a search, it was diagnosed in 2013 and I remember at that time when she announced it, death seemed imminent. She had said something along the lines of she was going to fill her life with "living". that's easy to say....right?

I'm sure your DD and SIL will eventually look for another dog even though they will miss Calvin. And praying for this hurricane to NOT hit land anyplace.

I took myself out this morning for a short walk, boy am I out of condition. I haven't pushed myself in the heat and I'm feeling it.

Spring: Lovely pictures of you and DD. So interesting that it's all about honoring the husband, but I want to know what do the MEN do? Did you know that the majority of all religions is mainly practiced by the women?

I've got so many project to do, just don't know what I feel like. I 've dug out a box of old dolls. One is a "french boudoir doll" from the 20s. My aunt gave it to me when I was around 10, it used to be hers, and I would put her on my bed after making the bed. The dress deteriorated years ago and I had thought to make a new dress for her but didn't get around to it, so time has come. Her wig is mainly gone in back so need to make some type of "hat' to cover her bald head. I would like to put her for sale on my etsy shop so I've been researching the way they were dressed. And I've got an Armand Marseille baby doll, full size. She dates from around 1900. Found her at a church rummage sale years ago. So need to get her in some clothes also.

Yes, i seem to have a lot wrong with this body, but then I'm turning 75 and even cars don't last and need tuneups. At times when I've having a "pity party" I will envariably see someone in a wheel chair, struggling to get around. I "get the message' I've been given.

Granniluvsu

MIKIE - Hopefully good news on the hurricane but as you know don't count your chickens before they hatch. You can never tell what they will do. I have to go back and check out SUN's pictures. We will be going out later to DD;s and the other DD and family will also be there. JUst going over there for dinner ad watch some sports, I am guessing. Lots of sports watching in that house. We do watch some but not as much as they do, Right now also watching some baseball. I will make a salad and bring over some shrimp.

Is your new washer and dryer digital and almost like a darn computer. Took us a while to figure out this machine but I think I finally got it almost figured out. I am not that stupid when it comes to digital stuff but I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to get it started with water coming in.. . Had to call my engineer SIL over to check it out. Somehow it had to get back in sinc. Long story but once I finally got it started, even if it was on the wrong settings I went with it and then it seems to be doing better now. I had to do 3 loads today. The deliverymen didn't come till almost 5:30 and it was probably close to 7 when they left. Then they had to go and install a bunch of stuff for another person or couple who bought a bunch of stuff on sale. Conns had 40% off and maybe an extra 10% if you bought 3 appliances.. You can save a bundle on these special LD sales and Black Friday, etc, We actually went a bit higher than we wanted to in amt. but it was a good savings in the long run. Supposedly these washer and dryers were about $949 + I think for each . But got over $300 off on each.We paid more for the gas drier since we had the hookup but the hose for this one is bigger and makes it stick out farther than the washer. Need to go check my last load. I just have to figure out some more stuff on my own. I do love the huge drum to wash some bedding that never got washed right in the old one.

SUN - Take it easy dear girl when you do your walking. How hot has it been when you walk? I know we are both our of practice and haven't done much walking either. We were going to start going to the gym and haven't done that much of that either. When it cools off we need to start doing something despite all our pain, discomfort, lack of NRG etc. You are right !! .

SW - What lovely pictures, I just checked on the last Porch volume. They are so colorful. Thanks for sending !!

ROCK - Sorry you have been having such problems with your computer and losing messages, etc. I know how that can be. Maybe you should mention some of this to the guy you gave you that computer or sold it to you.

Gotta run and check my last wah and finish up the stuff I need to bring over for the dinner. Hope you all have a wonderful, Labor Day weekend with hopefully as little pain and discomfort as possible, so you can enjoy it.

So glad to see JULIE on the last volume and doing so much and visiting the treasures. Thanks for posting JULIE.

Love to everydobby inc our MIAs - SPRING WATER, , JULIE, BARRY, DUCKIE et al,
Granni :)

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Weather Service is standing by the new model but cautioning everyone to be ready for the storm just in case. I'm leaving the batteries in my emergency radio and lanterns until the danger has really passed. I've been praying for anyone in harm's way. Looks as though the Bahamas will get hammered. Sustained winds are 150 mph. I did another load of laundry including SV's soft little throw on the loveseat. I ran a lint brush over it before I put it in the washer. There was enough fur to spin into yarn and knit a vest. What threw me was the amount of fur underneath it on the loveseat. Evidently, his fur works its way through the fabric. Good grief! That's why I have the throw in the first place--to keep his fur off the furniture. I poured a bit of bleach in the garbage disposal and ran it with hot water. It can smell and I don't like using those foaming cleaners anymore. They back up into both sides of the sink. Been cleaning out the old pine armoire in the dining room and boxing the stuff up for Goodwill. I have to be really vigilant about getting rid of good stuff. I'm not using it and someone ought to get some good out of it.

Rock, I'm sorry you lost your post. I just lost the first line of this paragraph twice. Grrrr! :( I could have lost the whole shebang but I did copy the last paragraph just in case. I watch the old singers on PBS when they have their beg-a-thons and I am amazed at how they almost always hit their notes. Can't stand to listen to singers singing flat all the time. It's like fingernails on the blackboard. I'd love to have the Magic Moments set of CD's but, as often as they beg for money, I get to see the whole program over and over. I love PBS and, if I could afford it, I'd give them a ton of $$$. Computers sometimes chime when there is some kind of notification. Hope your luck improves with it.

Sun, I also pray the hurricane turns and goes out to sea but it doesn't look that way. There are several low pressure systems coming off of Africa so there will likely be more storms in the offing. At this point, it appears that Dorian may hit the Carolinas. I have been away from the pool and am really out of shape but, right now, I'm not going to take this sick bod out and get worse. This bug isn't gone and my throat is getting sore again. I'm having a bit of vertigo so my ears must be stuffed up too. Has your DD recovered from it? I hope so. I admire all the work you do to keep on Etsy. Take pics of the dolls in their finery and post so we can see them.

Granni, I didn't buy a W&D. This set is 10-12 years old. They were very expensive but I got them really cheap because they were discontinued and the last set Lowe's had anywhere. I hope they keep on keeping on for a long time. I only looked at the prices in the email I got from them because I knew you were looking. I did a heavy load today and it spun just fine. Don't know why it doesn't spin all the water out once in a while. As long as it's only once in a while, I can live with it. I know though that one of these days, I'll have to replace them. Same with water heater and A/C. I'm hoping the Highlander will continue for the rest of my life. DSIL just turned over 200,000 miles on his SAAB convertible. It looks like new and is a really nice looking car. He also has a boat-tail Buick Riviera that is a beautiful classic car. Almost forgot--he has a Lincoln Continental that just got an award at a car show. He loves his cars. I love them too but can't handle more than one at a time. Have fun at the kids' place this evening.

Almost forgot to mention the cutest thing. I have a little wooden window box on the outside ledge of my kitchen window. There are a couple of small flowering plants in it. I looked out and one of the squirrels was between the plants and the window burying a nut. It was so cute and it was great to get to see it so up close like that. I don't think he was even aware I was there are he carefully tamped down the soil over his buried treasure.

I have a bacon wrapped fillet defrosting for tonight's dinner. I've decided to start eating out of the freezer. I got some brioche bread, thick sliced, at Publix. OMG! Sooo good! It's eggy like challah bread. Makes great French toast. I'd be tempted but I'm out of syrup. Don't need to be eating that.

Hope all y'all are having a wonderful weekend.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

rockgor

Mikie,
cz OK, lost another two posts.. Finally a change in the weather reports. Dorian is moving North toward the Carolinas. Dorian BTW is a Greek name. Should really be in the Mediterranian Sea. So maybe you'll still get really heavy rains,
SV will love it.
Rock

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Sunday Morning, Kids,

It appears that Dorian is teasing us. The models move east and then they move to the west. This often happens with these models but it is unnerving. I think we are out of the woods on this side of the state; we will likely just get a bit of wind and rain. It seems Tues. will be a rainy day all day long. I kept hoping the track would move east til the storm stayed offshore for everyone. There is a system moving off of Africa and it has a sixty percent chance of developing into a tropical storm or hurricane. It's almost a week away and heaven only knows where it will go. We are in the worst part of hurricane season right now so we wait and watch and stay ready.

Rock, what is happening when you lose your posts? Does it happen when you are typing? If so, have Gordon show you how to highlight everything and copy it so, if it disappears, you can recapture it. That is what happens when I'm typing. These new keyboards are too sensitive and seem to highlight things when we don't want them too and then when we hit a key, it all disappears. It happens so fast that we have no time to do anything. If we have highlighted and copied, we can get back what we copied. PH used to have draft save built in but I don't think we have it anymore since the 'upgrade.' If you leave this website while you are posting, be sure you open a new tab or you will lose everything. It is safer to finish your post and save it, go look at what you want to and come back to edit the post. That way, you won't lose it. I know this all sounds confusing. Gordon can help. It's just too frustrating to keep losing posts and there are some ways it can be avoided. It's easy to get into the habit of doing these things. Heck, I highlight and copy all the time or I'd be losing my posts too. A few years ago, the weather service decided to include ethnic names for the hurricanes. I can remember when they were all named after women. So, I guess this storm could be called, Dory The Greek. Hmmm, Zorba would be a good name. Some years, we have gone all the way to Z and had to start over again with A.

Think I'll clean some more in the condo so I can get back to cleaning out the armoire. It's full of dishes and decorations I no longer will be using. I have a Chinese tea set I gave my Mom and a whimsical tea set she gave me. Think I'll leave those for the girls. I may ask them whether they would like them and, if not, I can give them to one of the nicer thrift shops connected to the church. They would love something like that. It makes me anxious because I feel guilty giving good things away but I also feel guilty keeping them. Once I decide, I'll be OK with the decision. It isn't a big deal and doesn't cause big guilt or anxiety but I'll be glad when it's done. Why do we spend 3/4 of our lives amassing things only to have to start getting rid of them in the last quarter of our lives? I don't want things hanging around my neck. They are a burden. I can live with sooo much less.

OK, I've whined enough already. Hope everydobby has a wonderful and blessed Sunday.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Getting ready to go to church. and eating my breakfast.

MIKIE - Glad you are not supposed to get the brunt of the storm and hope it moves farther away from you. Yes, these storms are crazy and you cannot let your guard down. Yes, I forgot the last thing you bought was your refrig I believe. They sure are making everything including washers and dryers more complicated but I think I may have it figured out, at least almost Hope your sore throat, etc goes away fast. These things that drag on are surely nofun. with all you and we have to deal with, Lots of hurricanes to watch this time of year, Yes, IKE hit us fairly early in Sepr,. maybe the 10th not sure. Not fun !!

Hope to get back later. Just had to pop in. Need to get moving if I don't want to be late to choir practice before Mass.

Love to everydobby,

Mikie

Hi, Granni,

I'm glad you got the W&D figured out. Now you can just enjoy using them. It's fun to get new things. They may be more complicated but they do so much more nowadays. Of course, we usually end up using only a fraction of the functions. The Bosch W&D are German and the regular dry cycle shows 106 in the digital window. It's not 106 minutes so I have no idea what it means. I've given up trying to figure it out and use the same wash and dry cycles over and over. The last things I got were the stove and microwave in stainless to match the fridge and dishwasher. For some reason, I feel compelled to have the condo in selling condition. I have no plans to sell but I think it's always good to have a home ready to go on the market. I'm getting rid of stuff I don't need so the kids won't have to do it. I have no plans of dying but ya never know. I had better do it now when I can because we never know what will happen that may make it impossible to do later. Hate to sound so dire and negative. It's not that; it's that I've always tried to be prepared. Don't know why. I blame it on the Girl Scout years.

Hope you can stop back in after Mass. Has it been hot there? Rainy? I went outside and swept the cobwebs and frog poop off the balcony on my side. I'm glad I don't have to fold everything up out there. I had lunch and now feel sick--nauseated and dizzy. Hope this virus hits the road and doesn't come back. After the news shows, I'm gonna do a bit of cleaning. Have a nice Sunday. BTW, how was dinner with the kids?

Love, Mikie

rockgor

Mikie, the news on Dorian was the same all of yesterday. Finally the reports say it is now heading North toward the Carolinas and Georgia. Big sigh of relief for your neighborhood, I guess. I looked
up "Dorian". It's Greek; the feminine form is Doris. Our lesson for the Day.

Rock

sunflowergirl

Mikie: You and I are so much alike. I also am trying hard to clean up my house, the contents, and the garden. This is my biggest part of my inheritance to my children so I try to keep it all in good order so when the time comes a good price can be gotten. I try to keep it up for the next generation so to speak.

Yesterday was a total WASTE for me. I had gone out in the morning and took a short walk then did a little potting of plants outside. Came in and was on the ipad when I realized I was burning here and there on my body. A large bright red place on my knee, found it also on both elbows and the back of my arm. I did a search after a quick shower, and read about histamines and how they can cause havoc. So ran to CVS to buy some benedryl which I've never taken before. Came home and called my DD because she had a case of hives on the back of her legs last week. I was wondering if it was connected to this 'bug". But with hers it was raised welts but mine was flat just very red and burning. Anyway, took 1/2 of the benedryl and within 45 min. I had to go lay down. I slept off and on all day and finally about 8 hrs. After taking the benedryl I felt human again. I don't know what caused the burning.

Granni: You're braver than I am.....I don't do well with new gadgets. Can I be getting stuck in my ways?

I've got this bed doll laying on my table staring at me....she's so ugly. Can't imagine how she had become popular back in the 20s. I've cut up an old nightgown from the 20s for the skirt part and have an antique silk camisole dating from 1900 that i can't repair so it's getting cut up also. I really don't feel motivated to work on her today though.

Rock; What has Gordon said about disappearing typing?

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just took a bath. I felt the need for a hot soak. I was fine and working around here when I felt sick again after lunch. It's waves of nausea and dizzyness. Have had headaches and plugged up head. It's like this crud will never leave. I want to evict it. Dear sweet GS, Andy, just sent a text to stay safe and that they love me. I told him I love them too and am safe and sound. I know any kind of hurricane near us can cause worry in loved ones but they take comfort knowing I've been through this before and survived. Also, I am a big preparer as I've mentioned here. Unless the hurricane takes a huge divergence from the computer models, we are out of danger. Of course, we can't be sure til it's on its way outta the state and, hopefully, on its way out to sea. My prayers are with the people in The Bahamas. The wind is 185 mph and it's now a Cat 5.

Rock, it's a good day when I learn something new. Thank You. What then of Doria? Or Dorrito? Or the band, The Doors? Inquiring minds want to know. One of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is named, Dorit. Not one of my favorites. I'm getting ready to watch Part 3 of their season reunion where they hash out their complaints. Such drama! Glad I'm a no drama mama. One seldom sees such volumes of fake eyelashes and lip augmentation in one place. Hope you can keep dropping in without losing your posts. I'm pretty sure the problem can be fixed between you and Gordon. Two heads are better than one.

Sun, I agree. I've seen so many people just live in their houses year after year with no upgrades. Then, when they sell, they fix it up for someone else who will live there. I'd rather fix this place up for me. Also, want it to be ready to sell if my kids want to sell it after I'm gone. I can't wait until I can no longer do things around here. As it is, I would no longer take on any big projects. Fortunately, I've already done those. Now, it's just a little upkeep like recaulking the tub. I sent pics of the two tea sets to DD's to see whether I should keep them for them to have. One declined because she is in clean out mode too. Haven't heard from other one but doubt she will want them. The upscale thrift store will score big (is upscale thrift store an oxymoron)? At least, they can sell them and use the money for good causes. This is the time of year when they accept Christmas decorations and I have some of those too.

I don't think yesterday was a waste. You likely figured out what was wrong, took the med and got some much needed rest. That's a good day! Not everything is measured in work accomplished. Heck, yesterday was a good day for me just because I got to see the squirrel up close burying his treasure in my little flower box in the window. Later, I looked out at SV on the lanai so relaxed and peaceful as he watched a small wading bird just below him by the pond. He never worries about wasted days. We can learn a lot from cats. They are wise. Hope you feel better and the redness is gone. BTW, most of us with these conditions suffer from allergies which trigger the histamine. Like with so many of our woes, we may trigger it beyond what is normal. Just read about the prick test. o_O

The angle of the sun this morning made me think it's becoming more fall like. One has to know where to look to find evidence of the changing seasons down here. I have to go gargle with some Listerine for my sore throat. Was planning on having some boiled shrimp in Old Bay seasoning but my appetite is waning. Good news is that, if I change my mind, I can just drop them frozen in boiling water. Thought I'd use the extra in some Alfredo pasta. We'll see.

Be sure to enjoy what's left of this weekend.

Love, Mikie

Update: I myself off the sofa and continued to clean the armoire. Then, Ilona kept texting me because she thought it was my BD. Then, she thought it was Andy's. I told her it was my Mom's but she thought it was someone else connected to me. She finally accepted that it must be my Mom's. So, my cleaning was interrupted off and on. I did manage to wash some dishes I'm keeping. Everything in the armoire is dusty and I'm really going to deep clean it all. This will take time and I may have to work it in between other tasks I need to attend to. It's exciting to be doing something more important but the going is slow. I will have given away about half of what is in the armoire. That's progress. Once it's gone, I'll be happy I did it.

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Mikie: when is your BD? Are you turning 75 like me or 74? I guess I've programmed myself to keep working at something all day long, so having to sleep or even lay down doing nothing is a waste of time. I'm running out of days so keep pushing myself to accomplish.

A few days ago I tackled my messy studio which seems to accumulate stuff. So had to rearrange and find places to store things. I worked about 2 hrs. Outside this morning. Didn't mean to but one thing just led to another, but I've got two 50 gallons trash containers 3/4 filled. Didn't want to fill more than I can move to the street because I doubt my gardener will come this week. He normally comes on mondays. Came in and took my shower and then my SIL called wanting to know if I wanted to go for lunch with the family. I had to decline.....so wiped out. Now after a snack I'm heading for a nap.

Mikie

Sun, my BD is in July as is Andy's. My Mom died only four days after my BD. Yes, I turned 75 on my last one. I also feel the urgency of getting things in order but, while the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak--very weak. I have always gotten into projects and kept going but I just can't do it anymore and, if I did, I'd likely be in bed for a week. I've learned to pace myself. I'm already looking forward to my favorite time of the day--bedtime.

Sorry you aren't up to eating with the kids. Hope you feel better.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

Hi Kids

With regard to Dorian, it's a name we've probably encountered before in Oscar Wilde's Portrait of Dorian Gray. I read
it so many decades ago my memory is faded and gray.

Sun, Ah to be young again. Only 75. You must have tremendous determination to get so much done. I hardly do
anything except feed the cat. This morning Gordon wanted to go to Food For Less. I woke up around 10 AM. I
said, "OK, I'll get dressed." Then I fell asleep again. When I woke up next he said it was too hot to go. I dunno
what the temp is today. 80? I'd look it up, but then I'd probably loose my post.

Mikie, yes PBS is a wonderful thing. In the days before I got sick I used to donate to the local station. It used to be
located on Sunset Blvd just where it turns to go West through Hollywood. A while back it moved. Dunno who or what,
if anything, now uses their old buildings. Gordon said he read the Scientology people had acquired it. Their main
building is only a few blocks away. It's big and blue.

In response to your question about our computer, apparently made out of old parts Dr Frankenstein didn't want to
use, sometimes my posts vanish while I'm posting. Sometimes when I click on "Post". Sometimes after I've posted
while I'm away and not watching. Gordon showed me your CZ technique which brought back an e mail I was trying
to send to me brother in MN.

Granni, how did the choir sound today? When I used to "sing" in church or school choirs, I thought it was very
difficult to tell how we sounded. I knew how I sounded though: more suitable for a chorus of frogs.

Time to hop away. I'll pretend I'm the famous frog cowboy. "Hopalong." Johnny Cash wrote a song about Hoppy.
Rock

Granniluvsu

MIKIE and SUN - Good for you whatever you got done yesterday. Little by little. I feel like you MIKIE I would rather fix things up while I can enjoy it and not wait till we have to sell and leave and go live in closet somewhere. The Assisted Living and Independent Living place we have looked at and our group sings at occasionally are very nice but in comparison to what we have here it is like living in a closet. They have one bedroom and 2 BR's which is much more expensive but they have one that has like a little alcove which is great for computer setup and all, and less money.. Doubt if anyone will want to come and spend the night., if we ever move there. We certainly hope not unless something bad happens to one of us.. DH said if he goes first not to keep the house as the money and upkeep on the house would eat me up still have to go completely through all my closets which I have done little by little and drawers of cabinets and dressers of extra stuff I don;t use or wear and lots of little keepsakes. I am much more of a saver than DH. He is a great thrower outer. He throws away things I would have liked to keep that would have been useful.

I know I so much to do and can only do a little bit at a time you you gals. Busy trying to fix up the outside a bit so it doesn't looks so awful and overgrown. We probably will be outside tomorrow on Labor Day laboring but not to long it will be in the morning for a short while before it gets much to hot. Congrats to you SUN for all the decluttering of your studio yesterday. When we get things like that done we can feel really good about ourselves and one less thing no one else has to do for you/us. MIKE - Yu made a good try and cleaning out your armoire but when yu keep getting interrupted there isn't a whole lot you can do about it except try doing it another day.

It has been a very lazy day today. Just church, lunch preparing the marinade for the steak tonight and fixed the sweet potato which I just put in the oven. The rest has been on the computer and vegging on the PORCH and elsewhere before it is close to dinner time. We haven't had sweet potatoes in some time so figured it was time. It is really very healthy esp when you aren't supposed to have the white kind. I like them but DH could care less..

MIKIE - Hope you can rest a little better knowing that the hurricane shouldn't hit your area so directly. Hope you don't get to much bad rain and wind. The storm is such a large one, Scary, I know.

SUN - To bad you had to decline going out to dinner after all your hard work but you know what is best for your body, You needed to rest I am sure...P.S. You guess are youngsters yet. I am creeping ever quickly it seems towards 80 yrs. Only one more year of freedon before the big 80. YIKES !!

Love to everydobby,

sunflowergirl

Rock:. Yes, I have great determination when I start a project. I hate to have something left only partly done, good in some ways but it does wipe me out as this morning. But I look outside and like that it's much tidier up on a planter. The worst garden plants are the bushes with sticky lavender blue flowers. The branches grow very fast in and around other plants until it looks like a jungle. I isolated two root areas that I'm hoping my gardener can dig out the next time he comes. And I broke off 5 various sizes of the fox tail agave. I'll let the roots harden off for a couple of weeks then maybe if my gardener digs out the roots I'll plant them up there. I have several large ones about 3' across that I planted too close to the back fence. It grew and grew, eventually coming to the edge of the planter. I have to be careful as I'm walking by it that I don't fall in the pool. My gardener says he can cut it off but I like the largeness of it so I keep pushing it back to the other side of the fence.

I like gardening, and keeping up my front and back. It annoys me that the new family next door haven't kept up with the bush trimming, etc. The juniper has now grown into my fig tree more than 5' on my side of the property line. In late fall I'm going to have my gardener cut their bush back to their side. Don't know whether I should tell them ahead of time, thinking they might want to pay to have it trimmed up all over. And another neighbor who also enjoys the figs thinks they're awful this year and last beause of the juniper.....I don't know. They had my gardener give them a bid, front and back....$1800. We were both shocked, but he said there's a lot that needs to be done all over. Just looking at the juniper I believe it. What I don't understand is the young dad was home all summer, he teaches, and never could even pull a weed which are now growing over the sidewalk in front. I finally broke down and pulled the ones between my roses and their side. Couldn't stand the 4' tall weeds. He could have accomplished a lot with just 30 min. A day.

Granni: my old next door neighbor dreamed about living in the retirement community forever. Finally a small two bedroom opened up. She moved from her house of about 2200 sq ft to this tiny 700 sq space. I would get claustrobia if I had to live there. And it cost her over $250 thousand just to move in and she still has to pay monthly. Non refundable. Their dining area is like on a cruise ship, and you have to make reservations for a table. And they have a nursing facility if needed which is included. She loves it....not me. My house is 2800 sq, just right for me and my stuff! LOL

Mikie: Here's an article from National Geographic about the roads around you and thru the panther territory. Thought you might find it interesting.

Last edited:

springwater

Hello

im getting confused as to the path Dorian takes. I hope it will not come near Florida.

Mikie - I think its very wise that youre preparing to let your kids have as less work as possible when they actually inherit. You will be saving them a huge amount of stress and work. i have some crockery i love and would be very sad to give away, but if i cannot use them nor care for them the way i should i would steel myself to give them away.

i wanted to mention i got chills, the nice kind, the time you mentioned your DD getting a feather from your mum when they were going thru DSILs ankle injury. i love how our loved ones try to comfort us even from the other side.

Sun - i wish i had your energy. i would love to be able to decide on a thing and go at it for hours. you are very blessed in that respect, but this body will not cooperate. exhaustion happens easily. ive always been this way even as a child. i remember in my early teens, carrying everything out ofthe kitchen and sweeping and swobbing...then i would run out of gas, and my elder DB would have to carry everything back in. He would grumble about it happening everytime. heh heh.

i dont beat up on myself about it, i know i do the best i can under the circumstances.

You asked if wives get honoured on a special day. No. There is a special Mothers Day which is an important occasion but no womens day. actually even Teej is actually a woman event. The men dont do anything. The women buy special clothes, jewels, get dressed in their finery, have womens parties and dance and make merry. The not married girls also take part and pray for a good husband.

its wonderful to go out on the three days during the festival because the women pull out all the stops to look their stunning best.

Granni - that assisted living facility sounds nice. i like little cubbies. Nothing like living in ones own house, but would be a nightmare if one is infirm and unable.

Rock - Im like Gordon, if its too hot, i will not budge from the house unless its absolutely necessary. i dont know what to make of your computer. Wiping off whole posts sounds a bit extreme as temperamental computers go. can you imagine that in a bank or law firm?

The rain has come back. Rained buckets last nite. There been a flurry of holidays. Fathers Day...honouring fathers. My DD just made a Fathers Day breakfast..and we skipped buying a gift this year because DH has everything he needs. its just clutter to buy something more.

We also celebrated DDs birthday, her real present was a night and day stay at a resort on the outskirts of town, with some of her friends. She foots a little of the bill but the friends pay their own bills. like a vacation. She and her friend have a no presents rule. It saves everyone the headache in their busy lives.

at home we cut a cake and she cooked. Fried Mushrooms, fried chicken wings in the air fryer, black lentils, with tortilla bread.

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Labor Day Morning, Kids,

It is a good day for us here in SW FL. If Dorian stays offshore, it will be a good day for everyone except those poor people in the Bahamas. The storm is only moving one mph and it is directly over Grand Bahama with 185 mph winds. It will cause some surge and beach erosion as well as high winds over on the Atlantic side of the state but it could be soooo much worse. GA will likely feel the same effects. Dodging a bullet seems to describe how we feel. I can continue to clean out that armoire today. No one wants the two tea sets so will donate them. Instead of Goodwill, I think I'll give them to the Church's thrift store. When I've donated at Goodwill, they often treat the donations roughly because they get so much. At the Church's thrift store, they are volunteers who really care.

I don't know whether my woes are from the virus that seems to hang on or from allergies. Could be both. Mold spores in the air are at a high level. When I let a real estate woman's photographer into the tennis court, there was black mold all over it. It will have to be pressure washed after rainy season. I have been coughing and sneezing and can feel it in my chest. Whine, whine, whine!

Rock, when I see that Scientology building with the big sign, it looms menacingly and makes me feel uncomfortable. I remember when I was just a kid that my Mom's read L. Ron Hubbard's book. Evidently, she didn't think much of it. More of a curiosity thing I think. I don't know what to think of it. Tom Cruise and John Travolta have been so successful and defend Scientology. Others speak out about the abuses practiced. The practice itself is so secretive that it's hard to know what to think. Not my problem. I also think of Dorian Gray when I hear the name of the hurricane. That was quite a story. Now all I will think of is Frankenstein when you mention your computer. "It's alive; it's alive!"

Sun, thanks for that article. Yes, it mentions Fort Myers and all the little towns and areas around us. Babcock Ranch was totally a nature preserve. It is now the site of a huge town that is supposed to run on solar power for the most part. That is where the school bus is self-driving; I posted a pic of it. There is still a lot of nature preserve there. We do need a road from Naples, which is just 30 miles south of me on the coast, to Orlando. I'm glad to see more overpasses and underpasses are planned for wildlife. The Caloosahatchee River mentioned in the article is the one which runs just a bit west of me. It makes a turn to the east to the big Lake Okeechobee, the one you can see on maps. The river delta where it empties into the Gulf is on one of our beaches over by Sanibel Island. Sanibel is just over the bridge from me. I think you mentioned you visited there. I hate to see so much development here. I just hope the counties don't give it all away to the developers. The president of the bldg. next to us works out in their yard all the time and it looks so nice. I can't do it until it's cooler out and, even then, I can't work out there all day. Try not to overdo things.

Granni, my condo is somewhere around 1,100 or 1,200 square feet. The rooms aren't huge but it has three bedrooms and two baths. The master bedroom easily accommodates my king size bed. The living areas are under a cathedral ceiling so it is open and airy. It's just the perfect size for me. As it is I sometimes can't take good care of it, depending on how I feel. I'm hoping the big sweep of culling and getting rid of things will be the last deep cleaning I have to do. Then, I can just continue to keep the belongings down on a smaller ongoing basis. I hope to be able to live here until the end but we never know what will happen. Just read about a woman who was more than 100 and lived independently. Joe is a worrier and he called one day to ask whether I ever thought about what would happen when I could no longer go up and down the stairs. He is upstairs too. I told him I think those stairs are what keeps me going. Weatherman says we will get winds of 20-35 mph and .5 to 2.5 inches of rain from the outer bands of the storm over the next two days. Sounds to me like a good time to keep on working inside. Don't overdo it out in the heat.

Spring, basically, the hurricane will go along the East Coast of FL just offshore in the Atlantic. It's a compact storm so the outer bands of wind and rain will be very weak over here on the West Coast along the Gulf. FL is a peninsula and only 100 miles across down here at the southern end where I live. I can drive over to Miami or up the coast to Tampa in only about an hour and a half. Miami is an amazing place. Maybe when the kids come down, we can drive over there. Cuban Coffee, or Cafecito, is sooo good. I just found my little demitasse cups in the armoire. Think I'll try my hand at making some Cafecito when the kids come down. It's a jolt of caffeine and sugar that keeps a person going. There is a whole community of Cubans who fled Castro back in the 60's in Miami. It's called, Little Havana. Lots of celebrities have big homes there on the bay. It's also the home of many cruise lines. There is an outside mall with restaurants and little shops I love. You can just feel the Latin beat over there. I'm laughing at your brother's grumbling at having to do some work. Sounds just like a teenage boy. Happy birthday to DD.

Here is a pic of Ocean Drive in South Beach Miami. On the left is the beach on the Atlantic. On the right are all the old Art Deco hotels and restaurants which have been renovated.

miami.jpeg

This is a pic of downtown Miami. They light the underside of the overpasses in purple. The outdoor mall I love looks right out on one of those lighted overpasses.

Miami3.jpg

As per my daily habit, I'm gonna go read the paper online. I was happy to have the big Sunday paper yesterday to use for wrapping fragile things I'm donating. SV is quite excited at the goings on. He runs, uses his little scratch pad and does intricate flips when I get off my duff and clean. Even my watch is proud of me and gave me a little round display of fireworks last night. Hope all y'all have a wonderful Labor Day.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

Granniluvsu

Lots of outside work to do when DH gets home from the stores. I just drank my breakfast and trying to catch up on the Porches activities.

MIKIE - Hope the storm stays off shore and starts that northward turn up the coast but far enough away that it doesn't do to much damage or harm. I know that is probably to much to ask. The condo your size sounds just right for one person but not sure I could afford to do that if DH goes first..

SUN - I admire your get up and go when you can find it with all the work you do!

Hope to be back soon today. DH is home and needs the computer and I need to clean the kitchen before going outside to sweat.

Love to everydobby and all the MIA's.