PORCH #1152 IS NOW CLOSED (8/31/19) | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH #1152 IS NOW CLOSED (8/31/19)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

Hi, Granni,

Hope you and DH don't work too hard on Labor Day. The beauty of FL for retirees is that property is cheap in middle class hoods and upper middle class hoods. Of course, my taxes are cheap because I've been homesteaded for more than 20 years. I get an extra homestead exemption for being older than 65 and another one because of my income. We pay no state income tax. All in all, it's very reasonable to live here including low utility fees. When I moved here, though, I knew it would be the last home because property values have skyrocketed in other areas and remained low here. Good thing I like it here but I do miss my kids. One set of kids has remained in the Denver area and will likely stay. The other set has moved all over the place and likely won't stay in CO once Andy graduates from HS. I know I couldn't live in CO due to the dry climate. It's so bad for my skin and lungs.

It's hard to plan ahead because, at our age, we don't know what's coming down the road. That is true at any age but as we get older, we know something's coming and it probably ain't good. That is why Valerie Harper was right; we need to live life every day and we need things to enjoy and be thankful for. Well, I'm thankful for the Porch and all our dear Porchies. Have a great day.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Mikie: You mentioned about colorado and I'm guessing the altitude would be bad for you. Here in so. Calif where I live the altitude is "normal" unless I go to the local mountains. But when I was in Jackson Hole, Wy last year....OMG....it was hard to keep the oxygen level where it should be. Even my SILs parents were finding they were having trouble. And of course so. Calif has BAD air quality too. Yesterday it was hard for me to keep above 92 in the oxygen level but this morning it was steady at 97! Yahoo. You're not supposed to go below 90 otherwise you can get dizzy among other things.

Granni: Is your home paid off? That's the important thing my DH and I worked on, and thankfully we were able to do it. I'm also under prop 13 in calif. Which means my taxes pretty much stay the same and can't be raised, although many politicians want to try to change that. If I moved out of the county I'm in, I couldn't have the same benefit so I MUST stay where I am. I pay about $6,000 a year on property taxes, but my DD and SIL pay over $22 thousand a year. That's mind boggling! Even though he owns his own company they still have $ struggles and now that my DGS is approaching college years, they're really starting to worry. My DD is even talking about looking for a job. She hasn't worked for over 10 years now. She used to work for a bedding company out of China. She would create designs on the computer and if approved it would then be made in China per her designs. Just something she fell into, but that company is long gone. I've told her to look for someone who stages homes and maybe needs some help. She's great at it.

Spring: My problem is that I PUSH myself to complete a job then I crash for a few days, recuperating. I know we're NOT supposed to do that!!!! Happy BD to your DD. How old is she now? I'm sure she and her friends will have a great time vacationing together. My youngest son liked to cook when he lived here. Those are some of the happiest memories I have of the two of us creating in the kitchen.

I'm about half finished with "the ugly bed doll".......I've pulled out bags of old fabric remnants I could use for her. Her wig is very sparse and straggly so I think I'll have to dig out my hot glue gun and do some magic on her, then make a hat to cover up the back. I hope to get her finished today, I'm sick of looking at this mess on my kitchen table.

bct

Labor Day --- I will NOT labor today.....

I will play with my furbabies at most, and water some plants. I will try not to worry. I will read. I will sit outside for a while in contemplation, observing the butterflies, dragonflies, and looking at my green walls. No leaf-fall yet. Warm, in the low 90's today. Hoping for a cooling trend. I am waiting for the rains to come, but that won't be for a while yet...

Mikie, I'm glad you are not (I hope) going to be in any trouble's way from Dorian. I have heard that Alabama will be hit. Oh no, that was fake news. wasn't it? No comment.

Gosh almighty, I thought I had lost my post (never have before) but it was just hiding.

Rock, you seem to be posting alright. Practice makes perfect, don't ya know? I don't either. Ask Gordon if he has read the Susanna Gregory books .... nice long series, medieval. I'm still hooked on Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series; very interesting to learn about the brehon laws, the equality of women, etc., etc. in ancient Ireland. The contending brands of Christianity, druidism, and all.

Sun, R and I like J. Winspeare too. I also like Francis Fyfield, Reginald Hill, T.C. Boyle, Christopher Fowler, Kate Atkinson, and, and.... gotta stop RIGHT NOW! I dont think I've seen the Agave attenuata before. It doesn't look dangerous like most Agaves. Is there a spine at the tip? Sun, I saw some Naked Ladies when R took me to town for my last appt. Rock has some, or saw some; I don't 'member. Do you grow them? SO beautiful aren't they.

Ah hell, someone just drove up so I gotta go.

Back again, visitors are a woman from Bavaria and a guy from Peru. They are going to be working for a while. Das ist sehr gut, yah? I've finished my a.m. chores, except for washing a few dishes. Oh, I so do like paper plates! Very handy. OH NO! I have two bills to make out. I curse my cursive writing; it used to be so good. I wonder if school kids are taught it, or just printing and key-boarding?

Again, cheerio, R calls, and so do my bills. And some tomatoes to be picked this afternoon. A good crop this year.
Barry

Love to All

Barry

Last edited:

Granniluvsu

Another quick pop in Dear Ones, However I can't stay to long as I have to go over some music that we are doing this fall with r small group. Some is new, at least maybe some parts but I haven;t heard some of these songs in awhile and I may have my own version. LOL, if I stay to long I will completely forget and we have practice tomorrow.

DH and I were out there about 45 minutes or so is my guess maybe 1 hr at the most. We came in all pooped and sweaty.

SUN and MIKIE- Yes, our home is all paid for, thank God but out saving is not all that much, at least in comparison to many who live in our hood. I would love to downsize but DH doesn't want to do anything and spend a pile of money moving again. Been there many times and I don't envy moving again especially the way I feel. I am sure you feel that way too as well as many of our Porchies..

Hope that awful storm starts that turn up the east cost soon and hopefully far enough away from land not to cause as much damage as they think it might do.

HI to ROCK, BARRY, JULIE, SPRING, DUCKIE, et al. Hope you all have a nice Labor Day with as little pain as possible.,

Love to awl,
Granni

sunflowergirl

Barry: no, kids are not being taught cursive nor are my DGKs really able to read it. OK....then I admit my handwriting is very bad at times, so most of the time I print and it's hard for me to read it! I have tremors, worse at times especially in the mornings....curse this body!!!! When I have to send a written letter I type it out.

Ive made a list of your favorite authors and will do a search to see if any appeal to me. Right now I'm listening to an action spy story. Lots of shoot em ups but hard to follow. My favorite series is written by Daniel Silva......his character is Gabriel Allon who is an art restorer but an undercover Israeli spy. Very well written.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41082-gabriel-allon

My neighbor that moved had a lot of naked ladies which are blooming now amid all the weeds. I have two that apparently migrated to my side. They're really interesting....they suddenly appear with a pink flower on a tall stalk. I'm going to watch to see if the new neighbors dig them up, who knows. They moved in and had a lot of wonderful bushes cut down.

The agave I have do not have those sharp points, though I do have one variety that does....ouch many times.

Granni: If your DH goes first, and since your house is paid for, my recommendation is stay exactly where you are. You will receive his SS and your living close to your DD........a perfect scenario for you. I've thought about an airBnB if I needed some $. The front bedroom that is reached thru the front gate has a slider but also a lock with a key and there is a bathroom in the hall that would be included. Also a hall door next to the bathroom that I could put on a lock. I hope I never have to go this route though.

Last edited:

Granniluvsu

SUN - Our home is not laid out like yours and I don;t think it is as large. It looks a lot larger than it is especially from the outside, It has an upstairs but most is 1 bedroom, bath and storage closet. I hardly go up there and it is so hot in the summer, It is probably 1/4-1/3 of the house downstairs. I think it is close to 2500 sq ft. It has 2 living areas which we don;t need any more either. The people that built the home originally made very good use of space really but things change as you now as you get older, If either of us moved to that Sr Independent Living place it is also not far from my daughter and SIL. I would love to stay here but DH is so adamant and is the $ person in the family and did the finance work when he worked at Shell OIl. He has quite the budget on the computer. I wouldn't do it (the finances) the way he does it) but he watches it very closely, Your home sounds like a great idea for a B and B or to have have someone stay there, I jusI think my DH said I would get 1/2 his SS but not all of it and the type of work I did I worked on my own doing childcare and will not collect SS. Didn't work very long in the hospital nursing !!

Yes, they are not teaching cursive here either. These kids haven't learned to write at all unless on the computer. My college grandsons writing looks like chicken scratch. Soon no one will be able to read anyone's writing .

Hope MIKIE doesn't lose her electricity for long if at all . It is still bashing the Bahamas they say, very slowly.

Need to get off here and get something else done.

Love to awl,
Granni :)

sunflowergirl

Granni: No, that's wrong. You need to check with the SS office to verify this.

You will receive all of your DHs SS, but if you had any at all, you will get the higher amount, which would be your DHs. Hence....I receive my DHs but lost all of mine. Thankfully our accountant told us to start collecting my DHs at the lower amount instead of waiting for him to turn 70. I started collecting mine at 62....the amount for waiting wasn't that much higher, and my DH started collecting at 65 actually he was 66. So he continued to work and all the $ we collected from our SS went into investments. The accountant told us that if he waited until 70 it would take something like 11 years in interest from the bank to make up that amount. I'm so glad we did because he died when he was 73. We collected both SS for 7 years.

Barry: Darn, the only author that has CDs is Kate Atkinson. I just don't read a book....holding it. The author I'm listening to know is Christopher Reich....very exciting.IMG_3999.PNG

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Good grief! We are getting lashed by the outermost bands of Dorian which is now directly east of us off the other coast. The eye is almost 150 miles away. Lots of rain and some wind as those bands whip by. Hope we don't lose power. I have a radar app on my phone that shows the bands. My guess is that this will keep up for quite a while. The storm still hasn't made the turn and is only moving at about one mph on its track. Lots of lightning. The storm could spawn tornadoes. Yikes! Think I'll post and come back to edit and add. If I don't come back, we have lost power.

I worked on the armoire until I had to lie down or fall down. I went into a deep sleep and woke with everything aching. It's like when I first got sick with FMS. The barometer has hit the bottom with the storm and that usually causes pain.

Sun, the altitude did bother me a bit when I visited CO even though I grew up at high altitude. It's the dryness and dirty winter air that made me sick when I lived there. It is a beautiful place and so clean (other than the air). Both kids live south of the city, one SW and one SE. I loved skiing in the wintertime when I was growing up and as an adult. The beach always called to me and I made sure to get in one vacation in the winter to a beach somewhere. Property taxes are another reason for me to live here. They are around $450 a year with all my exemptions. There are many reasons the old folks head down here when they retire.

Granni, Sun is right. If a couple was married ten years or more, the survivor gets all the other's SS if that amount is more, even if they are divorced when one passes. A survivor only gets one benefit, whichever is greater. Our family home was a big two story with four bedrooms. It was a shock to move to a one bedroom condo after the divorce. I moved shortly after that to a two bedroom condo and finally, moved down here to a three bedroom condo. I'm like the Jeffersons; I keep movin' on up. Don't need or want any more than this to take care of. I think getting rid of a lot of my stuff will help lighten the load. I'm with you; I don't want to ever move again. Hope to leave this place feet first.

Barry, good to see you here on the Porch. Thanks for you good wishes. If Dorian holds to the projected track, no one may be directly touched by it. Of course, it's coming very close to the coast so the winds and rain will still do a lot of damage. It's down to a Cat 4 and is projected to lose power as it goes north. Right now, we are between bands and it just looks like a dark scuddy day. I also paid bills this morning. Good thing Target sends out notifications that one is due because I never got the bill in the mail. You have the right idea of what to do on Labor Day. Relax, my friend, and enjoy your little slice of paradise.

Rock, hope you will stop in. Also hope our other beloved Porchies will stop in, Julie? Star? Spring? Who am I missing? My mind is swiss cheese today. I keep typing one word when meaning to type another. That's a sign of severe exhaustion.

I have an antique coal scuttle on top of the old pine armoire, the one I'm cleaning out. I had dried baby's breath in the scuttle but decided to get rid of it. I took it outside and cleaned all that out and brushed the dust off of it. What a mess. Glad I did it before the rains came. Claudia wants to go to the pool in the morning but I think it'll still be too rainy. She is giving me two filters for the air handler on the A/C. Her new one uses a different size. She is also bringing a book to me that she thinks I'll like. I just finished the one on the Civil War and planned to get the next one in the series. Went to Amazon and found out there are like 20 more books in the series. Only way I'll read them is if the library has them to download to the Kindle.

Videos from the Bahamas shows flooding at about 25 feel above sea level. That is what was predicted for us before Irma made a slight jog to the east two years ago. Private pilots here are gearing up to take supplies to them as soon as they can fly and the runways are safe to land on. They do a lot of good after disasters. They also take sick patients when they need to go to hospitals out of the area if the patients are fit to fly. OK, Kiddies, I'm outta here. Hope all y'all are having a good holiday weekend.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Julie: Yes, you are being too sensitive. I've had to stuff things down, unhappy with so much in the world, but you do have to let it go. I really haven't read anything political on this board lately so I don't know what you're referring to. By the way, my pulse hits 135 or more quite often and I'm dealing with either high BP or the mornings low like 59....that is really waaay too low. My HR is never below 100....never. It seems like I'm having to do a lot of tweaking like taking himalayan salt and drinking lots of water. Before I found out I had COPD I had bought an oxymeter and would wear it when out for a walk....OMG....at one point my HR was 150.....I'm not kidding. I realized I had a big problem. i guess I was just lucky I hadn't suffered a heart attack.

lydia1

Sun! I don't know why I didn't realize we had a "block" or "ignore" feature, lol! Was in the shower and the thought came to me to check it out. So, I deleted my "whining" posts and strategically hit "ignore". Problem solved, like a boss, lol!

Yep, the water is a key factor in health issues...I believe that, for sure. We've also been taking a supplement that has a vaso-dilator in it...I would love to be able to wean off blood pressure medicine. I added (Den is chicken, lol) some liquid cayenne pepper (several drops in just a little water, taken as a "shot".) I try to do that a couple times a day...doesn't taste the best, but the yuk part doesn't last long. My blood pressure was doing so good (120's/70's) and heart rate way below 100. I'm glad you have the tools/knowledge to help yourself...really glad you didn't have a heart attack.

How's the doll coming along? What talent you have...to take something that has seen better days, and remake it/improve it.

I've got a load of delicates in the washer...hung out several loads of clothes today, but these tops I just let air dry in the house. I'd better go check on them...I'm feeling so much "lighter", lol...I'll try to get back here more often.

sunflowergirl

Julie: Glad you found something, though not sure how it works. Does it just delete certain posts that you can't see it?

This thing about my BP, I've got 'white coat syndrome" meaning when you're in with a doctor your BP shoots up. Everytime I was to have one of those infusions, they had to weigh me and take BP, and everytime my BP was up around 180/80 and they would turn to me and tell me what it was. I said, I DON'T have high BP, just the WCS and they would laugh. Stress, anxiety, etc and YES, water and salt intake makes a giant difference in your vitals. I've found when my BP is high, I just close my eyes and do about 5 min. Of slow deep breathing and the BP will drop to normal. It's only been the last couple of weeks that my vitals are messed up. I think it's because of the chemo I was having "bladder urgency" so in order to not have to keep getting up all night long, I've stopped drinking liquids around 6 PM. I need to get things back to normal.

Glad you feel better now about everything and you'll feel like posting again.

Now if only Star would check in.

Mikie

Good Tuesday Morning, Kids,

And, yes, it is a very good Tuesday morning for us here in Fort Myers. Not for the people in the Bahamas though. Homes there were destroyed just the way they are destroyed in tornadoes. With winds approaching 200 mph for 24 hours, almost nothing can stand. Buildings that did stand are flooded. It is so sad. I've been praying for them. There are two more low pressure waves coming off of Africa but both are projected to turn north in the Atlantic. We breathe a sigh of relief when hurricane season is over. I just looked at my radar app and there is currently no outer band reaching our side but one is north of us and I don't know whether it will whip around and catch us here. Claudia wants to go to the pool this morning so I hope the rain holds off. I need the exercise and I need some friend time.

I just hope my NRG has improved so that I can finish cleaning out the armoire. I've been washing the dishes I keep in it. The set of dishes has gold on them so they can't be washed in the DW. I'm wondering whether I can put them in there if I don't add detergent. Of course, it may be the heat that darkens gold on dishes so I had better not take a chance. I have gold chargers that I hand washed yesterday. I have a step stool out so I can climb up and clean the top of the armoire. I dust it but it needs a better cleaning than that. Even if one little thing in the condo is really clean, it's worth the effort and feels good to have accomplished. I need to haul the boxes out to the car so I can drop things off at the thrift store. I've run out of boxes.

Julie, I have had to learn not to let things raise my BP every time I watch the news. Mine is controlled with meds and is usually in the teens over 70's or 60's. High BP runs in our family. Hope you've told your doc about taking a supp with the vasodilator in it. You can get supps with the peppers so you don't have to drink it. AACCKK!! Guess things have probably settled down with all the grandkids in school. Do you and Den have any big plans? It's wonderful that they visited this summer. I know they will always remember the good times they spent with you.

Sun, I have white coat syndrome (or whatever color coat the doc or nurse happens to be wearing). It's always about 140/80 in the doc's office. I take it at home enough to know that isn't the usual reading. I saw that Star liked a post a while back and hope she is, at least, keeping up with the Porch. Wish she would let us know how she is doing though. I keep her, and all our dear Porchies, in my prayers. BTW, if you place the cursor over someone's avatar, you can click on 'ignore.' I have never done it and don't know what effect it has.

I've had my coffee and am feeling a bit more human so will go read the paper. I need to be prepared to go to the pool unless we get the rain. One of the outer bands hit us yesterday afternoon and it was like a mini hurricane with gusting wind and pouring rain. Then, it was gone as suddenly as it appeared. They keep showing graphics of the storm on TV but they aren't using the radar images. Glad I have it on my phone. I have so many apps on it now but they are amazing and I love them and use them. DD said DGS is happy I embrace the tech. That made me laugh. Yes, even at my advanced age I can enjoy the techy stuff.

I hope all y'all had a great holiday weekend and hope today is a great start to the week.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:
Reactions: bct

lydia1

Good Tuesday morning! Yes, it's a beautiful day already. Mikie, I'm so glad the storm didn't hit you so hard. Sad for the ones in the direct path, though. "Embrace the tech", lol...that's a good way to put it.

I haven't talked to my cardiologist yet, but need a follow up appt. from an episode I had in the spring...right after my dad died and I was dealing with all that stuff. At that time, the cardio told me to take an extra pill in the evenings if I needed it. But I've been fine since then, so don't do that. Last evening, I was venting about the political jabs that keep sneaking into one of our porchie's posts (so subtle, but still there) so I just engaged the "ignore" button. Viola, don't have to see that cr*p anymore, lol!

Den and I were joking over the holiday about it being a 3 day weekend (nowadays we have a hard time even remembering what day it is...such is the life of a retiree, lol!) But this is seriously the first holiday weekend, in many years, that he hasn't had to worry about being "on call".

I'll just have to say a quick "Hi" this morning...heading to the local chiro shortly. One of the Amish girls up the road just called and caught me before I hopped in the shower. She is due with their 2nd baby in a couple of weeks...wanted to know if they could call me to take them to the midwife. So, I'll need to keep my phone handy...but they do have two or three drivers "on call" just in case someone can't do it.

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible...I'd better run.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

The weather here is beautiful today. A little scud floated by while we were in the pool but it caused no rain. I think the majority of outer bands are causing trouble in the right upper quadrant of the storm. That's the most destructive side. That is why the ones that develop in the Gulf are so destructive for us even when they just scoot by. A direct hit on any coast is super destructive.

Julie, I'm laughing at Den's not being on call but now, you are. It's very nice of you to volunteer for your neighbor who is expecting. I respect anyone's religious or lifestyle choices but it's so hard to imagine having and raising children without modern conveniences. Geez, Joe and I whine when the wi-fi goes out. I'm glad your cardio episode hasn't recurred. Stress and grieving are so hard on us physically as well as mentally and emotionally. Thanks for your kind good words. Claudia and I just enjoyed this beautiful morning because it could have been quite different for us.

I've had my lunch and am going to tackle what's left of the armoire. I'll be glad when it's done. Hope all y'all are having a great day.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Another quick HI before I have to go.

MIKIE - Sorry to hear that you are getting a hard rain and wind it sounds like. Hope you don't get a lot more of it before moving on. The poor Bahamas really will be in a mess I am sure. Good luck in getting rid of the stuff in your armoire or cleaning it al up. What are you going to do with the stuff in there. Perhaps some of the family would want some f the sentimental things. Back in the day silver and china were big but not so much any more, I don't think. You are so right about living on the coast. Although it is very beautiful on the coast and by the ocean I surely wouldn't want to live there, on any coast Hurricanes and storms can be very super destructive but some people will go ahead and build again on the same spot . I know someone who did and hope she isn't sorry.

SUN and MIKIE - I have been checking and I guess you are right, Is it correct that I wouldn't get that much or anything, if I made more than his SS? That part makes sense though.

JULIE - NIce to see you stop by. Nice to be of help to your expectant Amish girls. HOw old is she that she is having her 2nd baby. Was this the same girl or another that had a baby not to long ago? Enjoy yourself however you can and have some fun if you can. Hope the chiro can help you Glad you seem to be feeling a little better.

Gotta run.

Love to awl,
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

We are now getting a bit of wind and rain from one of the outer bands whipping around as the storm hurls up the coast on the other side. It's nothing really over here but the East Coast will likely get a lot of rain and wind from the bands closer to the center of the storm.

Granni, when both spouses are on SS and one dies, the survivor will receive which ever benefit is the greatest. SS figures it out. We are getting almost no wind and rain over here. Only a bit that is from the outer bands of the storm. It's been beautiful today and what we are getting is no worse than our usual rainy season afternoon thunderstorms. We really dodged a bullet this time. I asked both DD's about taking anything and they are only interested in some colored glassware. I'll just keep it and they can get it after I'm gone or if I ever have to move. Like Scarlett, I'll think about that later. I am donating one set of glasses that no one, including me, wants. I'm donating them to a thrift store for a Catholic Church a ways away. This is just the kind of thing they like to get. Are you on your way to practice?

News says the storm has made the turn to the north but it remains to be seen just how close it will come to the FL Coast and the coasts of GA and the Carolinas. I cleaned off the tops of both armoires in the living areas. Yikes! I should do it more often. I changed the filter in the air handler with one Claudia gave me. She buys nicer ones than I do but the ones I get are fine. I change them monthly when the A/C is running all the time. It has run less this summer than last. We are having a really beautiful summer here.

Hope all y'all have a lovely evening.

Love, Mikie

springwater

Mikie - the news seems to be heartening. But good to be on ones toes. You must feel good about doing the armoires. I love that word. French is it?

ive been putting on the news to check what the storms doing. Last time they showed a strip of Florida beach where the reporter was showing how it could impact and, my, what a beautiful beautiful place! i can understand why people choose to live there inspite of the possibility of storms and such. it was sunset and a long line of pinkish golden clouds lay low over rosy sands and beautiful aquamarine water.

of course, now it seems like it might not come around there, at all. yay.

Granni - i know the feeling of wanting to stay put in one place. Because of all the stress involved in moving. and yes, one an get used to staying in a big place with a lot of privacy.

Sun - sounds like you got sound advice from your accountants. its nice to be money savvy. i am not. not by a long shot. My DH does things on his own, and shoots down any advice i venture to give. i remember telling him not to invest in property in a very huge housing colony on a hill because they kept warning about an imminent EQ. He brushed me off, invested in two. one for his brother.

well, that colony got hit worst, and everyone had to evacuate. We were collecting rent for a couple of months and boom! nothing. Its still there, homeowners and builders in a seemingly unsolvable dispute. Naturally, the losses are so great. Who is going to bear the cost?

there was just one loss of life however. i suppose that was a miracle.

That pic of the old lady with her tattoo was funny, heh heh. well, she enjoyed her tattoo, thats nice.

Barry - nice to see your chatty post. i have some unexplained thing for Peru. Something stirs inside me when i see the Andes and the Peruvian dress. and their little alleys in villages.

i hope Rock can check in soon. i hope its not his computer being ornery again.

its raining today too. brought down the temps a bit. but its messy as heck. dogs and their wet paw prints. and where to dry the laundry.

Last edited:

Mikie

Happy Hump Day, Dear Porchies,

We are just now getting the pics of the devastation in the Bahamas. It's so horrible. In some places, everything has been leveled and is flooded. Many buildings there are not built to withstand winds like that and the surge can tear things apart. The surge is like a tsunami. The wind is like a tornado. Thing is that it didn't hit and move on; it stayed there for almost two days. The Bahamas are British territory and I haven't heard how they plan to rebuild. There are already drives here to send donations of everything needed to the people there. They need everything from toilet paper to diapers.

Yesterday at the pool, our friend Barb who just got back from a trip to Africa, did an impressive rendition of the sound lions make when they mate. They kind of grunt. Well, they mate every fifteen minutes for days. It kept them up all night. Who knew lions are so randy. She had a wonderful time and I'm so glad.

Spring, yes, the beaches all along FL are beautiful from one coast to the other. Along with that beauty though comes the peril of these big storms. With climate change, the scientists tell us that there will be more and larger, more destructive storms in the future. Yesterday was a beautiful day which Claudia and I enjoyed when we were in the pool in the morning. The storm will be sucking all the moisture out of the air so we are in for some dry weather here. I am really enjoying our weather but my happiness is marred by the destruction not far from us. There are still places in FL rebuilding from storms two years ago. Puerto Rico hasn't been rebuilt completely either. Our hood is built to code to withstand these storms but I don't know whether they would have stood in a two-day storm like the one that hit the Bahamas. We are fully insured but rebuilding would be a nightmare. Guess it's true that we should enjoy every day because we just never know...

Yes, armoire is a French word and originally referred to a cabinet that stored tools or weapons. The one in my dining area holds dishes and linens. The one in the living area holds my TV and electronics. The one in the bedroom holds the TV and some clothing in the bottom. I have found them to be very handy furniture and I can close off the TV when I don't want to see it. It's taking me forever to clean out the one with the dishes. Well, these days, everything takes me forever. I'm so sorry about the loss of your property. I hope it can be resolved and restored/rebuilt. You live under a threat from Mother Nature too. Sorry the rain is making such a mess for you but it is nice to have things cool down. We will get no such relief for about a week but it's not so hot that I can't bear it and the drier air is nice. Also, I have the choice to stay inside with the A/C and I do most of the time in the afternoons. Stay cool and dry, my friend.

Hope everydobby has a great day.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Mikie: How old is Barb? What kind of a trip to Africa did she go on? So exotic. I'm still working on cleaning out cabinets and working on this ugly doll. I guess I'm just not motivated. Trying to "design" clothes from what I have around here.

Spring: That's too bad that your DH won't listen to your words of wisdom. Unfortunately a lot of men think they know more than their spouse just because they're a man. I guess he's learned an important lesson with his condo purchases and the EQ.

Granni; What has your DH said when you learned that you will receive all his SS and not half as he told you. This knowledge might make a difference as to whether you would need to sell if he dies first. What type of position did your DH hold with Shell? My DH was a computer analyst with ADP, which is a nation wide financial type business.....they do the payroll checks that employers give to their employees. Luckily this company had a good 401K with matching which he maximized. Of course, doing that all those years meant there was less $ for our family to spend, but looking back it was a good thing for retirement years. I know several women who had to do a reverse mortgage on their home in order to survive. But if you do that you still can stay in your home until you die......the bank can't kick you out.

I'm sitting here with hair color on my various colored locks. It was looking pretty awful, but thank goodness I keep my hair short so I can touch it with using a paint brush with Lady Clairol.

Our art sale is this weekend, so we're all taking our things down to the building this morning. They need people to volunteer to "man the store" so don't know what I'm going to do, since I count on this body....ever. most people just don't understand the overwhelming fatigue that can come on.

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping in. So many spammers lately, mostly for two companies. I'm exhausted today but did manage a shower and hair blowout. I haven't combed and sprayed it but will shortly. I'm lucky in that, once it's sprayed, it holds the style for days. I need to clean out the fridge and go for groceries but it will have to wait til tomorrow. No NRG! Good grief! Internet went out and my laptop shut down. I had a heck of a time getting it to boot back up. Same for the modem. I hadn't saved this post but the Chrome always restores everything, another reason I love it.

Sun, I wish you had some NRG for that art sale. Claudia is just starting to understand that I can't count on my body. I know it's hard for 'normals' to understand. Barb is about our age. Her DS (sister) and her DH were to go on the trip when DS decided to divorce her DH. So, she asked Barb to go instead. Barb said she likely would never have been able to do it on her own. I'm so happy for her but divorce is always sad. Some people, like me, are better off even if divorce wasn't our first choice. They were in several countries in wildlife preserves. Part of the time, they slept in nice tents. The animals were right outside. They had armed guards. They had to take meds to ward off malaria and it made some of them feel sick. Otherwise, it all went really well. I don't do the root touchup. I just recolor the whole thing. It's much easier and, with short hair, it doesn't damage it. I'm laughing about the 'ugly doll.' You better be careful insulting it just in case it becomes possessed and goes after you like Chuckie. Once Stephen Colbert on his show described someone as having shiny black eyes of a possessed doll. I almost peed myself laughing.

I need to get back to cleaning out the armoire because the rest of the condo is getting messy and dusty. I'll go to Publix in the morning and see whether they have any boxes. They crush them for recycling but if my timing is right, I may be able to get a few. Or, I could go to Costco where they always have some. Hope all y'all are having a great day.

Love, Mikie