PORCH 1154 IS NOW OPEN (9/10/19) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1154 IS NOW OPEN (9/10/19)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

kittens-2.jpg

This is what I wish I were doing.

Hi, Kids,

Time for another Porch. We've had a lot of people visiting the Porch again. So glad but still look to see Rock, Barry and Star. Everyone, go back to check out the lovely pix that Spring posted on the last Porch.

I just got out the prep instructions for the colonoscopy on Fri. Tomorrow I shop and Thursday I go on the liquid diet. I can have scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast which is nice. I forgot that I can have Popcicles. Between that and the Jello and broth, I should be fine. Need to get some Crystal Lite to mix in the laxative drink.

Sun, if I were there, I'd loan you my three-prong extension chord. I hope you are feeling better. Too bad you can't find some hair for Helen. How about finding a doll at a thrift store that's in bad shape but with good hair? You can do a hair transplant. I haven't been able to nap. Ratbane, as Rock would say.

Granni, I hope you can come back to visit awhile.

Gonna run. Hope all y'all have a wonderful evening.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Nothing as cute as baby kittens or puppies, of course they grow up into sweet adults or monsters like a few that I had.

What time of the morning is your colonoscopy scheduled? Is this a conveyer belt type of place......that's what I was in, a ton of beds with curtains separating them.

No, still have terrible body aches. I slept for about 45 min. And woke with a fever, probably all the heating pads on me. I'm sitting here trying to create a bonnet for Helen *&^%$#@. Actually I've check thrift stores too along with a beauty supply place. I even looked at an old wig I had bought a few years ago for a mannikin.....but the hair was perfectly straight and wouldn't work. I have one more large thrift store to check, just felt too awful this morning to continue.

I haven't sold anything on etsy for over a month. They changed the way things are done....forcing you to give free shipping otherwise people wouldn't find you. But I did, and still havent' sold anything. I'm going to check on ebay and maybe open up a store there also.

Granni: I don't blame you for really giving it some thought on a shingles shot. But I'v already had two episodes and my immune system is compromised from the chemo and apparently that's when you can develop shingles. I've known 4 people personally who got it and they all said PAINFUL and lasts a long time.

rockgor

Hello, Hello, Hello

Not much going on here. Gordon is downstairs waiting for microwave to heat up something and imitating Lucy when she was smuggling
the coocoo clock. It's always good to keep busy. I completed my research on the snake with the orange belly. If you're curious, search for
same. I think they are more orange than a pumpkin.

Sun, I had shingles when I was a teen. Not painful at all, but I only had them for part of a day. As I've probably posted previously I was instantly
cured when my doc drew a large vial of blood out of my arm and injected it into my butt. My present doctor is from the Ukraine. He said
they still use that treatment there. Not only effective, but one doesn't have to pay for any medication. Good luck with Helen.

ROCK JUST GOT THROWN OFF AND IS IN NO MOOD TO CONTINUE BUT WILL RETURN AND FINISH THIS POST AT A LATER TIME

lydia1

Hi guys! Couldn't get to sleep, so up again at 1:00 am for a snack (two pieces of toasted homemade sourdough bread with local raw honey drizzled on top)...and some Tylenol. Don't you just love that our bodies have a built in "weather reporting system" that kicks in whenever a storm's a brewing. Me, neither :( All my joints are protesting tonight...pretty sure it's from the thunder and threatening rain.

Gordon, thanks for letting us know that Rock will be back. Rock, I'm sorry your computer gremlin is working overtime. Did you see the long paragraph I wrote about Oreo on the last porch? Never had the treatment you described, but I'm glad it helped you.

Sun, I'm so sorry for all your pain. That doll sounds like it's turning into a nightmare project for you, but I know you will persevere and get it finished.

Nice to see you, Granni! Hope you can get ahold of the new doctor and everything works out insurance wise, etc. My favorite color has always been purple, or shades of it...but I knew I wanted my new kitchen to be red, white and blue. Started picking up things in those colors a long time ago.

Mikie, thanks for the new porch...love the kitten pic. We are getting quite a variety of colors of the "garage cats." Everything from solid black, solid white, tigers, torties, everything in between...must be several "traveling salesmen" coming through, lol! Hope your colonoscopy goes well. My last one was a couple of years ago...doctor said I didn't need to go back for ten years. He always does "both ends"...maybe that's routine?

I finished tidying up in the grandkids' office area this afternoon...when I got to Lorraine's desk, I discovered where all the Calvin and Hobbes books had disappeared to. Den loved them, then Lindsey, now Lorraine...three generations learning how to cause all kinds of mischief, lol! Wrapped the last Christmas present (of what I had already bought) so got those supplies put away until the next gift wrapping session. Then decided to get on the mower...it thundered a lot earlier, but never did rain, so the grass was still dry. I usually mow underneath the clothesline first, then I don't have to wait to hang out any laundry...hung some sheets and four pair of Den's jeans after supper...they will be fine till tomorrow.

Den got home from work just as I was doing a "lawnmower ballet" over the bigger middle part of the driveway. The grass is taking over in places...we need to order more gravel...so it's fun to just swerve back and forth with the mower (works best with our ZTR (zero turning radius) mower. He laughed and said he does that sometimes, too. Oreo was lying in the front yard with her (now) three beef bones...I mowed around until I couldn't anymore...then had to get off and "relocate" the treasures. She wasn't too happy, but soon settled back down in a mowed area.

In the past several evenings, Den and I have been watching a series about WWII. This one features all the super, enormous, over the top things Hitler used to try to gain an advantage in taking over the world. From missiles, U Boats, warships, etc. to all the defense tricks he obsessed over...all the bunkers, secret underground headquarters, the Siegfried Line (or Westwall) and the Atlantic Wall, and all the other things he wasted money and labor on. And the loss of life...oh my goodness.

I guess it's officially "9/11" now. Facebook is full of videos, pictures, reminders. My heart goes out to all those people who died, the families who lost loved ones, the first responders...I hope we never go through something like that again. Just as when JFK was murdered, most people remember what they were doing that day...I was at work at the vet clinic and we heard it on the news. I immediately called some friends we knew in the D.C. area to make sure they were okay.

Well, I'm hoping the pain meds will kick in soon...so I'm going back to bed. Plan to make a trip to town tomorrow for groceries and pick up more Christmas presents. I also need to replenish the Bingo prizes and get things for the pinata (traditions, ya know, lol) and lots of little things for the Saran Wrap game (for those who are ten years and older.) We wrap things in the Saran Wrap...making a big ball. Players unwrap the ball and get to keep the prizes that fall out...the next player in line keeps rapidly rolling two dice and when he/she gets a match, it is then their turn to "unwrap." Gets pretty hilarious...I usually just watch and take pictures ;)

Here's to a peaceful, good night's sleep for all.

rockgor

Hi Kids,

Julie, yes, I read about Oreo and peace sign. I always like to read about the doings of the kids and the animals and
you and Den. The post I started a few minutes ago disappeared, so I will just fold my tent and creep silently away.

Hug
Rock

Mikie

Good Wednesday Morning, Kids,

Finally, I got some decent sleep last night. I woke several times but was able to get back to sleep. SV bugged me to get up and I threw him out of bed. Claudia got some kind of good deal on a bundle with Comcast for limited cable, internet and phone. She got rid of Verizon for her cell phone and had no phone service last evening. Nancy had to go get something for her dog's itching so she wasn't there. I forgot about Jeopardy and only got there as FJ was unfolding. I didn't know the answer anyway. I'm just glad everyone is OK. We always worry about Claudia's Mom who is in a nursing facility. I hope she gets her phone service set up with Comcast. She needs her phone. I see Apple is out with their new iPhone 11. Looks as though it has an amazing camera and isn't as expensive as I had thought it would be. The new Apple Watch is out too but I don't think it has a bunch of new features. I'll be sticking with what I have.

Sun, I hope you feel better. Shingles are in the Herpes Family which is turning out to be worse than anyone ever thought. I read that there is now more research into the Herpes Family of viruses because of the complications they can cause. EBV has already been connected to breast cancer. Shingles are a complication of the chicken pox virus. My colonoscopy is this Friday so tomorrow is the prep day. Everything down here is conveyor belt with patients lined up. The surgical center is just down the street so we don't need to leave until about 6:30 in the morning. I'm gonna start the prep a little early because last time, it was slow to get moving. Free shipping is such a big deal now with shoppers. It really isn't free because it has to be built into the cost of the product. Again, I hope you feel better.

Julie, I had no idea you were running a gambling den on the farm. That Saran Wrap game sounds like fun. I loved Bingo when I was growing up. Mom and I used to go to the Elks Lodge for Bingo night. Back then, no one bought multiple game cards. We just had a good time. Down here, they only do the endoscopy if there are symptoms/reasons to do one. Joe had one cause of his cough and I had one because of the acid reflux. Aren't done at the same time as the colonoscopies. I hope the doc doesn't find any polyps so I can wait another five years to get the test. I'm high risk so can't go longer than five years even when there are no polyps. I haven't had any polyps in ten years.

People my Mom's age always likened the shock of 9/11 to Pearl Harbor. She was still living in her own condo when that happened and she called me. I told her to come over and I made her a cup of tea and some cinnamon toast. As bad as 9/11 was for those who were directly attacked, there are people in the world who live with that kind of threat/attack daily. The news reported that the refugee camps for Syrians are now the new breeding grounds of ISIS fighters. Their flag is proudly displayed in the camp they showed with children playing under it. Sadly, I think the threat of terrorism will be around a long time. Terrorism is a cancer in the world.

Rock, do you have any idea what happens when you get kicked off the board? Does it throw you into another screen? When you come back is there anything left of your post? I find that when I get to typing, it's easy to hit some kind of key that will do something I don't want. That is why I continue to highlight and copy what I've typed every now and then so I can get it back if anything happens. It's a pain but not as much of a pain as losing everything. In my 20's, I got a Staph infection in my armpits. Doc thought it came from contaminated deodorant. Antibiotics were not effective so he scraped the lesions and sent it off to a lab that grew it out and made a serum from it. I got shots of the serum that eventually caused my own immune system to kill it. This is similar to how the Russians have fought infections. Come back soon.

The sun is definitely coming up later and later. This time of year, we lose one to two minutes of sunlight each day. In a month's time, that adds up to more than half an hour. It will be 93 again today and won't be cool til Nov., but I get excited for fall about now every year when we are at peak hurricane season. Life seems to be speeding down the pike for me. SV is here asking for his soft food so I need to go. There will be silence this morning to honor the 9/11 victims at 8:something, the time when the first plane struck the tower.

Love, Mikie

Home again, home again...got my prep supplies. I've never had to do the gallon of liquid laxative before so got some Crystal Lite and hope it makes it easier to get down. Got some Diet 7/Up, chicken bouillion, apple juice, pineapple jello and lemon Italian ice cups. Gonna steep the apple juice with some sugar and spices to make it more like hot apple cider. One silver lining is the excellent sleep I get when I'm under during the proceedure. I'd like to bring the anesthetist home with me to put me to sleep every night but then I might end up like Michael Jackson. I know why he loved his propofol.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bct

sunflowergirl

Mikie: Eeegads, ugs....alllllll. That stuff you have to swallow. When I had the colonoscopy I was given a choice to drink the huge amount or take a pill, I believe it was only one, and then I had less liquid I had to down, probably about half. My Dh had to drink the gallon like you. My DD was having acid reflux and because my DH had died from colon cancer, she had both ways done. My youngest DS, age 42 at the time, had the colonoscopy because of DH. My oldest son hasn't yet but I've reminded him.

I wish you much luck and a speedy recovery from the colonoscopy. I didn't do well with it afterwards and did a lot of upchucking for hours. It apparently is the coctail they used on me.

I ached all day yesterday, which apparently is normal plus I have a hot red area on my arm where the shot was given. It's weird because part of it is 4" away from the site. With this version of the shingles shot, it is apparently 90% that you won't get shingles.

Rock: You got SHINGLES? WHEN A TEENAGER? Are you sure it wasn't chicken pox? There are lots of old world medical treatments that only now researchers are interested in. I've told you all about reading about using clear fingernail polish on the eruptions. I'm positive i stopped shingles in it's tracks twice.

Julie: That Saran Wrap game has to be a ton of fun. I know how difficult Saran Wrap is to unwrap anyway. HA. Traveling salesmen!!!!

Thanks for reminding me about 9/11. A blot on our country from enemies who are still trying to destroy us. We will never be safe nor will this world. There is a Christian organization I've heard of who build playgrounds in some of the worst places. The children live with this terror and having a playground makes a difference in their lives, such as it is.

I put some "putty" on all the nail holes in "Helen" yesterday, and hope to feel better to go to Michaels to find some matching flesh color paint to put on them. I just HAD to put away my sewing machine. So tired of looking at all the mess on my table. I soaked part of the wig, what's left of it, and it's drying with clips on it, trying to curl it. There is really only 1/3 of any wig left so I'm going to call an online company today and ask how much on the shipping for a wig for her. This doll is like beating a dead horse, but I'm determined.

lydia1

A quick good morning, then I have to get to town. It was after 3:00 am when I finally got to sleep, then I dreamed of my dad all night (seemed like all night, anyway.) For some reason, he was at a hospital a couple hours away from us and I was trying to walk there. Then I got to the town and couldn't find the hospital, and the hospital was so big that when I got there I couldn't find out where he was. Plus, I had forgotten my cell phone so couldn't call anyone. Woke up after 9:30, very disoriented and exhausted. Found Den (he doesn't work again till Friday) who told me he'd been moving vehicles, tractor, skid loader, trailer...and mowing...and I hadn't heard a thing, lol!

So, he's off with the pickup to go get some longer metal siding we had ordered, and I'm trying to get my hind end in gear to go get some groceries, pet food, etc., etc. Amy and family may be here this weekend (yay, apple picking helpers!) so I need to stock up on some of their favorites (Keira loves beef roast with potatoes and carrots, melon...Miley loves strawberries, spaghetti...and they all love my homemade mac and cheese.) Gotta feed the work crew, lol! If Clinton has a chance to come along, he'll help Den with some new gutters (actually, Clinton is the one with experience, so Den will be helping him ;) )

So, I'd better say a quick "Hi" and run down to Lorene's (closest Amish neighbor) to see if she needs anything from town. Glad I ran the A/C yesterday and it's still on...we're in another hot and humid spell. Take care, everyone! I'll check in later.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Even though I slept so much better last night, the fatigue has caught up with me. I just woke from a short nap. Really short but very restful. Haven't been able to nap til now. Roomba did the carpet and I have to wash the tile floors. The lanai needs another quick clean job but that will have to wait. Gonna clean the bathrooms today and dust a little. I have a load of laundry in the washer and will do one more. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to clean the fridge out and take it to the dumpster before I start the purge. That way, things will be pretty clean to come home to and, in the tiniest chance that anything might go wrong, people won't be too horrified at the condo.

SV has his water fountain, a separate water bowl with it's own reservoir and a self-filling dry food bowl. Claudia knows how to feed him and she has a key. At our age down here, we have backup plans and friends who can take over. Most of the time, we never need it all but, on the one time that something goes wrong, all that planning and redundancy pays off. Think I've mentioned that one of my friends here in the hood had a stroke years ago and no one knew whom to notify. He died a few days later but, fortunately, someone found his DD's name and number. We all vowed not to let that happen to us.

Sun, one thing about reactions to the shots--it means the shot is working and the immune system is riled up. I'm glad this new shot is much improved. I'm sorry you felt so sick after your colonoscopy. The anesthesia they use is so short lived and it doesn't put one into a deep sleep so I have no problem with it. They did tell me that drinking Smart Water helps to keep the electrolytes in balance and helps with headaches and nausea. Thanks for your good wishes. Those poor children in the war-torn countries. They don't stand a chance if they are being brain washed to support terrorism. It's sickening to see them playing under the ISIS flag. No one has a right to bomb and kill over religious differences. Bless those people for doing something good for the children of war. Some might say, "Why bother" but I don't believe a positive action or prayer is ever wasted.

Julie, the kind of dream you describe is from frustration, according to shrinks. We dream like that when we feel something is frustrating our efforts in our waking lives. I've always had frustrating dreams but I've always been frustrated. :) When I've not felt well and things get really behind, I have more of those kinds of dreams. Do you have an orchard on the farm? There is nothing like fall apples. Grocery shopping can be a real chore but it had to be done this morning. Saw some of my favorite Publix employees and was able to donate to Red Cross for the Bahama effort. I knew Publix would be collecting for them. Easy peasy! Don't work too hard.

OK, off to do a few things. I'm really pacing myself. I don't feel up to doing it any other way. Hoping everydobby has more NRG than I.

Love, Mikie

bct

Hi All.

Electricity off yesterday from 8 am to 6pm. Planned outage. BUMMER -- but at least they let us know beforehand. I had an appt to see my new doc. Very young, I don't know much about him, but my former provider was there to go over my ailments with him. He seemed a little overwhelmed.... Hope he works out.

Spring, so lucky to have mangoes aplenty. I love them, but they are a trifle dear here. A shame about the guavas. Were they completely ruined? The bamboo shoot curry sounds interesting --- I'd sure like to try it!

Mikie, thanks for your kind remarks about my French. I can't read French, or speak it properly, but I manage to get along in France with my "pig French", lol. Richard is the Frog speaker around here! He has degrees is French , and English Lit. My only uni. degree is in Religious Studies --- Oriental emphasis. I was a class away from a degree in botany, but changed my mind.....
Mikie, I've got to have my eyes examined too. 70 miles from here! I have so many floaters, four kinds..... the shadowy, the black bubble, the clear bubbles, and sometimes the lightening shots from the sides to the central target. Got it? A few years ago I had two events when I lost sight in my right eye for a minute or two. Saw my then optomotrist who took photos and saw a small pieve of plaque and told me I needed to have a carotid ultrasound which I had done. AAAACK! 100% blockage in one carotid artery, and quite a bit of plaque in the other. Immediately put on bp meds and statins -- both of them horrible. So goes it. So it goes.

Julie, you are right about the prescriptions often having awful side-effects! The side-effect of my meds are FATIGUE, DROWSINESS, and DIZZINESS and BLURRY VISION. All things that I DON"T want.... Julie, I liked both of your kitchens, especially the red floor of the old kitchen. The kids look they are having a lot of sticky fun, lol.
Julie, do you grow veggies? Such good way for kids to get in touch with nature. We have a large tomato crop this year for once, though late in ripening. SO GOOD in flavour though, compared to those from the store, which we rarely buy.
Glad to hear that Oreo is in fine fettle. We buy marrow bones for our two dogs, so it was good that Den cut the beef bones so Oreo could get the yummies! Happy Oreo!

Mikie. Colonoscopy. The first I ever had was an AGONY for me. Anaesthitist wasn't available so they went ahead anyway. I was literally screaming in pain; an awful experience. The next times, sleep, no pain, wake, okay....

Well, I'm wrung out from yesterday's visit to the doc. so am calling it a day. I have a lot of appts. to make, but will wait until tomorrow to do so.

Love, Peace, Blessings to YOU, my FAMILY,
Barry

Mikie

Hi, Barry,

One of the reasons to have eye checks is because a lot of other conditions show up in the eyes, including plaque. If it's in the blood supply to the eyes, it's in the blood supply to the heart. Hope you can get to see the eye doc because all those floaters and flashes of light are what my eye doc warned me about. Seventy miles? Yikes! I hope it's at least a scenic ride and I suspect that everything where you live is scenic. They used to only give a mild sedative for colonoscopies and the patients were awake. They were very painful for a lot of people. Barbaric! I think the anesthesia is more to control the patients for the convenience of the docs than for the patients' comfort. It's all part of the conveyor belt process. Patients thrashing in pain take longer than a nice supply of sleeping patients. I don't really care why they do it; I'm just grateful that they do.
I took French in HS and one semester in college. I remember almost none of it and wasn't anywhere near fluent when I went to France. The people were so kind to Mom and me just because I gave it a good try. Also, I really worked on my accent because I know they will turn on you if your have a bad accent. I spoke what I called, survival French, and got along great. My German was even more limited but, again, I managed. It helps that most Germans speak beautiful English with a British accent. I could also count in French and German and learned the money. It impressed them that I could count out the money in their language. That was before the Euro. Some Americans can be very arrogant when they travel and I totally get it that they have seen the worst side of us. My kids and I believe we need to be ambassadors for our country when we travel.

I'm in the same boat as you with all these doctor appts. I just don't have to go far to get to mine. I hope your new guy turns out okay. Sometimes the young ones want to learn and that is a good thing.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Barry: as to this new young doctor, do a search online to find out his background. How old is he? Did your old doctor change plans or what? A patient needs to be proactive with his doctor, question everything and read everything you can. Have you read this?

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Whew! Just finished cleaning both bathrooms. Didn't know whether I'd be up for it or not. Mopping always makes my back hurt so much. This is great because I only have to clean out the fridge, just get rid of old food, not actually clean the inside. A little dusting and the place will be in pretty good shape. Oh how my standards have fallen but I'm a happier person. This is exactly what the ADD book advises. It's like the Serenity Prayer--clean what I can clean, leave what I can't and be happy that I know the difference and can accept my limitations. Hardly anyone sees my condo except me, SV and Claudia and Joe occasionally. The place doesn't have to be sparkling clean all the time or even most of the time but it is depressing if it gets too messy and dirty.

Looks as though the new fall shows haven't started yet. There is another sci-fi show coming that starts with a plane crash. I watched a few episodes of the last one and knew it wasn't worth it. I haven't been watching the debates. I just get the highlights from the news. Seems I am watching more and more PBS shows. Can't wait for Ken Burns' new history of country music. I'm looking forward to the new Handmaid's Tale season. Margaret Atwood has written a sequel to that book. I remember when I read the first one. She's a very good writer. I've been watching Mayans MC, a motorcycle gang story that takes up where Sons of Anarchy left off. It's also very violent and I have a hard time following the many plots in detail. Still loving Grand Hotel, my telenovela. It has everything a telenovela should have. My daycare family from the time I was a baby was Mexican and maybe that's where I picked up my love of all things Latino.

We have had the most beautiful cloud formations to the west. Actually, also to the east. I usually close the blinds in the morning to keep the hot sun off the livingroom and close the kitchen blinds in the afternoon to keep the hot afternoon sun from coming into the kitchen. I hadn't put away some purchases, including all those boxes of tissues, so I opened up the packages and put them on the top shelf of the linen closet. I also unpacked the products for the purge. That got everything off the tiles so I could mop the floor. I don't feel up to doing this much every day and am always grateful when I am.

Sun, that's nice of you to post that for Barry.

Gonna go cook a bit of din-din, broccoli steamed with a bit of butter drizzled over it. I'll keep the leftovers and make some soup to have after the procedure. Hope all y'all have a lovely evening.

Love, Mikie

Mikie

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

Just had a big breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast and coffee. That is the last solid food I'll get today. I don't have to start drinking the stuff til this afternoon. Last evening, I steamed my broccoli and, when I was cleaning up after I ate, I accidently poured the hot water on my left hand. It scaled half my hand and hurt like hell. I immediately plunged it into ice water. Then, I went downstairs and cut a piece of aloe vera and rubbed the gel on the burn. I alternated that with the ice under pressure. I took 750 mgs. of ibuprophen for the inflammation. I can't believe it. There is no blistering or redness, only a bit of swelling. It did rile up the arthritis in my fingers and they are stiff and sore. Still, I feel lucky. Also, got the FJ question last night. Yippee! It doesn't take much to make me happy.

This will be a nice day of rest with a bit of work around here. I'll shower and do my hair today. Tomorrow morning, I can just jump into the tub before we have to leave. Claudia has joined ranks with Joe to give me a hard time about the procedure with poop jokes. What a classy hood this is. On the other hand, you know you are loved here when people give you a hard time. It's a 'bust your chops' kind of humor.

I'll check in later. Just got rid of three spammers. Oy! It never ends.

Love, Mikie

lydia1

Good morning, Gang! I actually woke up early...Den is still snoozing peacefully, I've fed Oreo and Peace Sign, overrode the automatic timer on the coffee pot and gonna get caught up here. We want to go get a load of firewood early this morning...I need the pickup, so will dump the wood on our big trailer (after we go get it in the pickup...no room to maneuver with the truck and trailer at the firewood site) then Den can get it split as he gets time. It goes faster if I run the lever to do the actual splitting and he man-handles the pieces, but he often ends up doing most of it by himself. We have plenty of propane in the tank (and more that we have "pre-bought") but like to have enough wood on hand, too. Easier to do this in the summer/fall than January, lol! We'll both be pooped after that, so will likely "crash" for a bit...

Sun, I saw some doll hair at Hobby Lobby yesterday...not sure if that would work for Helen, or if you have a store nearby?

Mikie, I would say "hope everything comes out okay in the end", but would that be considered a "poop joke" ;) When we have any of those "one day surgery" procedures, we each get our own room. It has a TV, a locker for personal belongings (whoever is with us...Den has always been to mine...keeps the key). We get the IV put in and whatever other prep that needs to be done...then we just try to relax until the surgery team comes to get us. We get wheeled to a pre-surgery area for a "once over" to make sure everything's ready, the anesthesiologist and surgeon pop in to say "Hi" and ask if we have any questions or concerns...that step takes maybe five minutes...then someone wheels us to the actual procedure room. Afterwards...the surgeon meets us in the recovery area (he's already talked to Den or whoever was in the waiting room) we go back to our original room to finish waking up, have something to eat/drink, then get to go home.

One time, when Den's dad was having something done (I think it was carpal tunnel surgery or something) "Dizzy the Clown" came by (must have been a day when lots of kids had things done, like tonsils or something also.) Dizzy isn't the "scary" looking clown like a lot of people think of...she's pretty, and petite and does things like face-painting (at grocery stores and restaurant promotions, not at the hospital surgery area, lol.) Anyway, she popped in to Grandpa's room and I took a picture of them, both with the red clown noses on :) It really made his day!

I know the prep isn't fun...but it will soon be over and I hope all goes well. I'm so sorry about the hot water burn...smart to get the ice water and aloe on it right away.

I didn't get home from shopping till after 7:00 last night. Took an extra couple of hours because I had called the optometrist's office to see if I should come in (the bigger floaters were still bothering me, but I hadn't seen flashes of light in several days, but still a little concerning.) I called just before noon, as I was ready to leave home...they had an appointment open at 1:00. Perfect timing, as it takes 30 minutes to drive there, so I finished loading coolers, etc...and left. Met Den on the road...he was coming home in the pickup after picking up the longer metal, etc. from the home supply store...

Anyway, took a little while at the appointment (Doc dilated my eye, so I had to go back to the waiting room for a bit.) He said there is some "pull" from the vitreous matter, but no tear. It could just be normal age related things, but wants to see me in a month to check again...unless I start seeing flashes of light more frequently or more floaters. I asked what would happen if there was a tear in the retina and he said they would do some laser "tacking" to prevent a retinal detachment. But, we both feel this is just normal happenings, so I'm not too worried...doesn't hurt to keep on top of it, though.

After that little "side trip", I didn't really feel like doing much shopping, but stopped by Hobby Lobby and finished up "Christmas"...at least for the ones I needed by mid-November. Then a quick stop to take some things to Goodwill, another quick stop to Aldi's (the "warehouse" grocery store where things sit on shelves in boxes and customers bag their own groceries...but the prices are so reasonable, they have lots of organic things these days, and the produce is usually very fresh. It's my first stop, then I fill in with what they don't have by going to other stores.)

On to one other grocery store (where they have the best meat counter...grind their own ground beef daily) to pick up a few other things. Then finally headed home. On our gravel road, I met one of the sisters of the Amish neighbor who is expecting...she told me her sis had just had a checkup and the midwife thinks she will at least go to her due date (the 21st). So, I feel like I can sort of relax until then, lol!

Brought my nearest neighbor (Lorene) the things she had requested before I came on home. I had picked up a package of blueberries as a treat for the three little girls. Wish you could have seen their faces! They immediately got out three little dishes and divided the blueberries so they could eat them right away. Prince (the dog who bit me when we first met) sat at my feet while I petted and talked to him...we've come a long ways, lol!)

So, that's my exiting "once a week" journey off the farm, lol! Now I have more presents to wrap...but, first, breakfast for my hubby, then firewood run. Might be a pretty mundane life to many, but it works for me, lol!

Thinking of everyone...hope your day is going the best it can. Take care!

sunflowergirl

Mikie: Good luck with your purging today. Ugh. I'll be thinking of you.

Julie: Thanks for the tip about hair at Hobby Lobby. I will keep that in mind in case I decide that Helen's old hair isn't going to work. I had washed the larger part a few days ago and tried to curl it while still damp. I think it's real hair which is a little plus. I hot glued what there was around her head and she's looking a tad better. I still have to make the hat but am thinking about a mob cap instead which would still cover her head but allow what hair there is to peak out. Most the the bed dolls had a hat with a very large brim so thinking about what I should do.

Etsy has fallen off sooooo bad lately and will probably never sell her and she will end up? But I am "beautifying" her the best I can.

How kind of you to think of something special for the little girls. No wonder they want you to come play with them.

I'm pretty much over this shot, and the red splotch is slowly fading and I can almost touch my sore arm. I hope to watch the debates tonight.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Already got rid of four spammers this morning. I cleaned out the old food in the fridge and took it down to the dumpster. Then, made another trip with recycle stuff. My back is killing me so have an ice bag on it. Had a horrible stomach ache during the night and when I got up. This is TMI, I'm sure, but the purge has started on its own with no help from the laxative. As predicted, Joe's jokes have gotten even more disgusting and tasteless; I ran into him going to the dumpster. Down here, I'm not on a pedestal; I'm one of the 'guys.' I can dish it out too when I want to.

Glad I got the garbage/recycle stuff taken down because it's already 83 degrees out and humid as all get out. Wouldn't have wanted to do it when it's even hotter and more humid later and not after doing my hair. Besides showering and doing my hair, I want to dust in here. It's not too bad but I might as well have all the routine cleaning done. The armoire is almost finished and the donations are in the back of the Highlander. Don't have but a few things to pack up. Then, it's on to the bedroom to clean out the closet and drawers. Those things are for another day, as Scarlett might say. Next Wed. is my skin check with the dermatologist. Then I just have to make an appt. at the lab. Things are getting done slowly with detours around viruses and down days.

Julie, I actually detected one joke and a pun, intended or otherwise, in the first paragraph. I am actually enjoying the humor because it helps when having to do this. Hope I can go another five years. We have so many people here, many Seniors, that everything is conveyor belt both at the surgical centers and the hospital. It's very efficient and I don't mind. They have waiting rooms with TV's for relatives. It's in and out in no time, literally. I'm glad you saw the doc. Now you know and can be alert should anything happen. Also helps to have it on doc's record. My doc took the pix and could see no damage to the retina. Yes, he said if caught early, retinal problems can usually be fixed. The sac around the vitreous doesn't always tear so much as it thins and deteriorates, according to my doc. He thinks that dot I'm seeing may be a particle from the sac. Sounds as though you guys are ready for Christmas and those long winter nights.

Everything here is flip flopped. Our nice weather is coming. We spend on utilities in the summer into fall. We are out enjoying the weather in the winter/spring. Took me a while to get used to it. It isn't for everyone. I don't think your life is mundane at all. There's a lot to be said for a lot of places and lifestyles. I sometimes long for a more peaceful area with less noise and traffic but this is better than the Denver area. My life overall is pretty peaceful and low stress but some might think it unexciting. Glad I did more exciting things in my yute so I don't feel shortchanged by these conditions. Also, with age comes less desire to be daring. I have shopped at our Aldi's and I like it. The prices are great except for Publlix's BOGO's. Their produce is really fresh as is their meat. Chicken thighs are on sale this week and I may make an Aldi's run. Sounds as though you've made a convert of Prince. By sitting at your feet, he is showing his love and respect. Good dog!

Sun, thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure you can think of something more pleasant to think about. It really isn't that bad. I've been doing this for decades. I admire you for beautifying the world in all your creative ways. I love Hobby Lobby. They have so much stuff to decorate with and for crafts. The people there are nice and very helpful. We get '40 percent off one regularly priced item' coupons in the Sunday paper. They have so much on sale all the time too. I haven't been there in ages because I pretty much have the condo the way I want it. I got a great golf pic frame for the photo we got when Richard had a hole in one. Lots of unusual things. It's next door to the only Kohl's in the area in a newer shopping center in a newer area. Unfortunately, it's not far from a housing area with a lot of gang crime. There were a couple of armed robberies in the strip center across the street. I used to always carry my gun when I went out there. There was a carjacking not too far from there yesterday in which the jacker shot out the window. Thank God the driver wasn't hurt. Guess living here does have a bit of excitement but I could live without it. Glad your arm is better.

Gonna go take an allergy pill. I'm choking on something. Don't know where the weather depression is going or whether it will form into a tropical storm or hurricane. One model has it going Katrina's way and one Dorian's way. All I know is that it's gonna bring us a ton of rain. I should move the car out from under the carport and let God wash it. Wishing y'all sunshine and happiness today.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Dear Ones,

Haven't had time to really read the posts or all of them. Have been so busy doing one thing or another and finally yesterday got ahold of a real person to make an appointment with a new Rheumy. I go in early October. That is not to bad I would say for a specialist. Glad it is not an emergency though. The number I got from my dermatologist to call was probably not the right one for me to call but was what they called. eft 2 messages and didn't call back . Therefore I decided to call the # I got on line. The young lady was very sweet and polite, thank goodness. Next week both DH and I have to go to the dermatologist , two days apart unfortunately. I also keep forgetting that I would like to have the surgery so I don't leak . Its awful to get older although I had one surgery about 15 years ago but more is wrong with me now. I figure after I go see the Rheumy maybe I will go to the urologist. Wish these docs were also closer and not such a drive to get there. Can't go to far without a bathroom. It stinks along with everything else. Sorry about the whining !!

Will be leaving soon to go to our church for Mass and then to have a bible study about King David. The history is very interesting and then we have lunch and discuss after the video. I did a quick wash this morning even after waking up late , almost 8 a.m. These new washers work fast.

MIKIE - Good idea for you to maybe leave the car out to let it get a car wash naturally without the work , unless you want to dry it, it needed. Sorry about the awful drink. I know how that is. Have had that a couple x before and it is not goo but I guess the result is what counts- if you can stand all the running to the bathroom. Good luck sweetie ! Hope it isn't to u unpleasant.

JULIE - How nice to hear from you,.

Sorry I have to run. and cant chat with everyone individually.

Love to everydobby,
Granni :)

springwater

Hello

been a rainy day. stayed home. yesterday too. Oh wait, i went out yesterday, lol. My brains like a sieve. made a lightning visit to my friend. it was her sisters birthday a few days ago.

it rained as i was about to leave and i found i had misplaced my umbrella. Luckily, i found it and was able to dash out, hail a cab. i met friends son too, been meaning to meet him but something or 5he other happened..and they all went off to sri lanka and bangkok 9n vacation.

5he son works in China and visits home once a year. what worried me was. how much weight my friend had lost. she is super active but why the weight fell off like 5hat i dont know. she has thyroid condition. but i never saw anyone become so thin. that too after a 10 day holiday. She has regular check ups and nothing untoward.

Her DD who is my DDs friend made a large mug of lovely tea and 5hey served very delicious moon. cakes, a Chinese delicacy.

Mikie - glad you are making inroads into the housework. i seem to go around in circles. or run around like a headless chicken. Energy has been a problem. Could do with a tad more n i have. like you, ive resigned myself to doing what i can and leaving the rest. yes, it does make one feel better to make peace with what our bodies can do and cannot do.

i love it when it rains hard enough that 5he cars get naturally washed.

im laughing at your friends poop jokes.

Granni - that sounds 8nteresting about King David. i love afterwards discussions. lots of docs to go to but that seems to be 5he case for lots as we get older. i hope all your visits are productive.

Sun - seems like a lot of labour is going 8nto the doll. i hope it is worth it andyou get a good customer. ihope you are feeling a tad better.

Barry - floaters are irritating, i remember many when i was a child. i used to try and follow 5hem around with my eye. shapeless watery colourless ones.

tomorrow is Full Moon for us. but its been raining so i dont think we will see it.

Last edited:

lydia1

Howdy, again. Having a bite of lunch before I hop on the mower. Had to take a shower after we got the firewood...was so sweaty and wanted to run to a couple of Amish stores (great places to get groceries in bulk.) Sliced two of the loaves of sourdough bread I made the other day (doesn't stay soft very long, so I wrap two slices together, then put a bunch of those in the freezer...it makes yummy toast or grilled cheese, etc. Den's having lunch too...will probably take a snooze. I've already mowed directly by the house, so won't disturb his siesta. Will save a big area for Amy cause she wants to mow so bad...brings back memories of when she lived at home, I guess, lol!

Good to see you, Granni. You guys are busy, busy! Glad you're happy with the new washer. And that you got an upcoming appt. with the new doc. A few of my friends have had that surgery...said they were glad they did.

Sun, I happened to think about a doll I bought for one of the ladies I used to more for. She had mentioned she used to have long curly strawberry blond hair...I found a doll with that exact hair, she stood on a wind-up pedestal and played a melody (I've forgotten which one.) Anyway, her hair was attached to her sun bonnet...so if one took the hat off, she was completely bald, lol! Myrtle couldn't see very well, but seemed to love her gift, just the same.

Mikie, sounds like you are getting things done and are well prepared. I used my 40% off coupon on one of the two things that weren't on sale...everything else was on clearance or 50% off already. I just pull the coupon up on my phone and the clerk scanned it. We can only do that once a day, but for customers who live closer, they can go every single day and reuse their coupon on one item. Oh, I'd always be broke, for sure. I don't need anything for myself, but can always find something for the kids, lol!

I'd better get at it. We had a little shower earlier, but the sun stayed out and I'm sure the grass is dry again by now.

Hi to everyone...take care! Oh, Spring...I see we must have been typing at the same time. I do the same with the housework...going around in circles, for sure. Glad you got to go on an outing...did your friend seem to be okay, other than the weight loss? Would be cause for worry, true.