PORCH #1156 IS NOW CLOSED (9/20/19) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH #1156 IS NOW CLOSED (9/20/19)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

A-beautiful-fall-decorating-with-orange-pumpkins-at-the-white-wooden-fences-and-fresh-trees-to...jpg

Good Friday Morning, Kids,

We are almost up to 50 posts on the last Porch so decided I had better open a new one. Check out the last few posts. This picture makes me think of walking home from school when I was a kid. This could be my childhood neighborhood. I can still remember how the fallen leaves smelled when they got wet. I still remember how it felt to fall into a pile of raked leaves. I remember how the excitement built waiting for Halloween night and trick or treating.

I woke feeling a bit better so had some toast and coffee. Hope it doesn't upset my stomach. It was iffy last night. We all got the FJ question and we are proud because only the champ got it. Honestly, I sometimes wonder how a few of those contestants got on the show in the first place. Maybe they just get unlucky in categories. I feel sorry for them when they bomb. Not that I could do any better myself.

There are multiple potential storms forming in the Atlantic. Spaghetti models have Jerry turning before reaching us but ya never know. It is the tenth named storm this year. We have temps in the 80's now and the humidity is much lower. That's good news. I have to run to Publix today. I'm out of everything. The multi whole grain bread is on BOGO just when I need it. I also want to pick up some of my beloved spicy turkey breast from the deli. Hope it doesn't upset my stomach further. SV needs some litter and I hope the Slide litter isn't too much. They usually have decent prices on it. The slide is really nice and cleans up more easily. I could make a run to WM to buy it. I always like to see the fall decorations and treats. I need to pick up something for the little boys at the end of the building for Halloween. I like to get something other than candy.

Just got an email from Amazon. Every now and then, they give me a $3 credit toward a Kindle book. I downloaded one that was only $3.99 to begin with. It's about a woman sniper in the military. Sounds exciting. I'm finding I can barely get through nonfiction books anymore without drifting off almost immediately. Amazon Prime is buying a fleet of electric delivery vans instead of using FedX. I saw a delivery van of theirs the other day but don't know whether it was electric.

Granni, geez, that's awful about all the rain and businesses closing. Lotsa film on the news of flooded streets. DSIL sent a pic that someone in Galveston had sent to him. He didn't know yet whether their place got flooded. I hear ya about how hard it is to forgive and come to grips with everything. It's been 50 years since I first found out what my father did and 30 years since my divorce. Now maybe I can work on not being judgmental. Good grief! Will this take 30-50 years? I'll be dead and gone by then. I'm laughing at your thinking I'm more physically active. I did nothing yesterday. I always think how active you are.

Julie, those are some lucky deer to have you provide a salad bar for them. Hmmm, maybe we could come up with some alternative anniversary gifts to replace the current ones. First year could be nails, second year screws, third year hammers, etc. A drill would make a good 10 year gift, a circular or miter saw for the 15th anniversary and a chain saw for the 25th. I don't know where a backhoe would fit in but that might be the mother of all gifts. Modern couples need some alternatives.

OK, a little silliness to start the day. Nothing better!

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Mikie: A very pretty fall picture in some little eastern town, at least what it looks like to me. There are a LOT of big trees in our little town that drop all their leaves on the sidewalk. I've walked around with my camera in the past taking pictures of some of the old houses like above with colored leaves on the sidewalks. Love the chill in the air when it finally comes. Out here the weather has still been hot in the afternoons but chills down quite fast in the evening. As I age I find I don't do summers well. The heat really drains me of energy so I'm looking forward to being outside more in the fall.

I tried out my new shoes yesterday and have to say they feel wonderful! At times i almost/almost felt like jogging a little. It's amazing how the right shoes make such a difference. These are a dark grey mesh type fabric with really good soles. Apparently cloth mesh shoes are the style right now, since I didn't see many leather ones. I'm wondering about these in rain though. I was thinking about spraying them with scotch guard, if that would help. But with them being mesh they give a little more room for the toes to move around.

Julie: Count me in as a lady who loves tools! I own a chop saw, bought it myself a few years before my DH died. He didn't even try it out. I redid my bathroom cabinets years ago, mitreing narrow pieces of wood then glueing/nailing them onto my OLD bathroom cabinets. The narrow pieces I painted a dark grey and they look really nice over the lighter grey painted cabinets which i did in a crackle look. I also have a really good cordless drill with lots of bits, and I've used that often, especially when putting in screws in the backs of picture frames.

Years ago my youngest DS surprised me when we were on vacation. He had come over to the garage and installed peg board in my work area , then hung all the screw drivers, hammers, etc. really tidied up the area. That was one of the sweetest things he ever did for me. I've got such a thoughtful, caring son.....he's the youngest of my 3.....he's really the best of the lot I do have to say.

Then about 8 years ago a neighbor had a large open type oak TV armoire out on the sidewalk for the trashmen to pick up. I asked if i could have it.....walked it back down to my garage. I use it to store my tools, saws, boxes of screws, nails, etc. And on the backside I had my DH hang some large pegboard on hinges, so i can hang more items, but open the "doors" so i can get into the armoire from that side.

And I'm with mikie on that backhoe!!!!! I've envied your riding on a mower, though I think I would tire of it after an hour or so. You have determination to keep mowing! But then you have a huge lawn area. We used to have a small lawn at our other house. Most of the time I would use a push mower....whew....then we got a power mower. I never quite got the hang of getting it started so that was left to my Dh to mow the lawns, front and back.

Granni; Are you anywhere near the flooding in Texas? I missed the news on TV last night but heard it's bad.

Barry; Are all the tests done now? You mentioned about the carotid arteries being blocked. Will something be done about that?

Rock: I'm listening to another Masie Dobbs novel. I guess I should have written down the titles. I think after 5 in a row, I'm pretty much done with Masie.....have to move on to other things. And I looked for the author Mikie recommended, but find the library has nothing by her.

Spring and Star: Where are you????

As to Dar, she last popped in about a year ago, talked about all the weight she had lost, posted a glamour shot of herself, talked about her latest new boyfriend and an upcoming vacation with him, then disappeared in the one post.

I'm up early at 5 with awful neck pain so I made some coffee and did some stretches. Today is my friday art group but I never know if I'll go until 30 min. Before hand. With my neck/back/fatigue everything seems to be up in the air all the time. Can't plan on ME for anything.

I had to spend time on my etsy "store" yesterday, things have slowed down to nothing being sold. Did a search and apparently quite a lot of sellers are complaining of the same thing. People are talked about the changed algorithms, Had to do a search on what that meant. So......it has to do with words that people might use to do a search for items to purchase. I have over 500 items listed, and am having to go to each one and put in special words for searching....sigh. But.....big surprise to me yesterday I sold a good item.....an old hooked rug from the 30s in perfect condition because it had been framed. Sold it to a set designer in NY....the buyer said it will be used in an upcoming Billy Crystal movie that he wrote and directed. i forget the name of it, but hope to see my rug in the background when I do see it when it comes to DVD! Never know where something sold will end up! Last night I was watching a series, Yellowstone with Kevin Costner. Suddenly there was this needlepoint pillow on the couch where he was sitting. Wow.....I remember having one like that, and don't remember if I sold it or gave it away to a thrift store.

Last edited:

lydia1

Good morning! Only 73 degrees, but predicted to get to 87...boo! Thanks for the new porch, Mikie...they seem to fly by these days, just like real life, at times, lol! We're supposed to have some thunderstorms over the weekend...guess I'll get more of the bigger/nicer apples picked. If the wind blows them off the tree, they'll be bruised and not last long. I'm hoping to keep a few to give to the kids to just eat fresh...all the grands have a favorite kind of fruit and Lindsey's kids can wipe out a bag of apples in no time. I often make "apple flowers" for them with my corer-wedger...don't go quite all the way through, then the apple pieces hold their shape and look like a "bloom" but easy to break apart to eat. Less waste than taking just a few bites and deciding it's too hard to eat, lol!

Mikie, our 50th is in 6 years...I know what Den would want. He's been watching videos of portable saw mills, lol! We have some huge trees in a fence row that he's been saving to make something out of. Hope you get to the store and can restock. Love the picture...that fence would be so neat to decorate for every holiday or occasion. A little silliness is good for the soul, true?

Sun, you and Mikie could start your own handywomen business! Den could go along to help with the more strenuous parts, and I could cook for all ya'll ;) Although, I'm not sure he'd be up to doing anything soon...his back is giving him fits this morning from sitting on the backhoe seat for several hours yesterday. And both of us are having to deal with the allergy symptoms from being outside. How sweet of your son to fix up your tool area for you...being organized is a big part of the work, I think.

Wow, you ought to be listed in the credits of those shows...rug, courtesy of Sunflowergirl! Let us know when you see it! I wonder if that Kevin Costner series is on Netflix. That's kind of our "go to" place cause we don't have cable, etc.

Glad the new shoes make you feel like jogging. Around the farm, I wear an old pair of tennies with no laces and I even cut out the tongues, lol! The girls just roll their eyes, lol!

Well, today will be a "slo-mo" day for me...my body is paying me back for overworking it this week. Even though, my "over working" is in slo-mo, too, lol! "Normals" would be able to run circles around me, but I just do what I can. Den wants to get a suspension seat for my mower cause it hurts my back if I go too fast...but I don't want to spend $300 on a mower seat. But I want to do the mowing myself, so may have to give in, eventually.

Hi to everyone...have a great Friday! I'm just going to clean up the dehydrator and get some apples going, then hopefully do some more purging in my parents' trailer. Well, after I fix a quick breakfast...probably steel cut oats with blueberries today. Take care!

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Home again, home again... I usually spend around $60 at Publix. I decided to splurge and get a bag of pistachios. I also got a big box of the Slide litter for SV. I spent $110. Still not that much but a single person doesn't need much. Probably could have gotten the litter cheaper at WM but it wasn't that expensive. I also found two little plastic jars with colorful lids and cute Halloween designs on them. I can fill them with some candy. Came home and had a cup of decaf and a pecan roll. Later, I'll have a sandwich with the spicy turkey. Ran into a sweet woman I worked with before. She works in the deli now. I always stop to say hi to my favorites.

Good grief! My watch is exercise shaming me. It's bad enough that 'normals' don't understand us but a watch...! Well, I can always turn off the activity app. Still, I like when it tells me to stand and breath deeply. The new Series 5 stays on all the time instead of going black on the face. I turn my wrist to get the screen to come alive on my Series 4. The price for the new one is the same and I think that's what my ex and I will give DD when she graduates. She doesn't take the shortcut when taking a pulse so the active face would benefit her. She takes the full minute. She says it also helps to see how the pulse feels and not just the beats per minute.

Sun, glad you like the new shoes. It is the algorithms that make the first websites come up on Google and other websites. It's good that you took advantage of the wording so that your things pop up right away. Even though I grew up in CO, the older neighborhoods had mature trees and look like the pic above. I can take the temps in the high 80's and even very low 90's but when it's humid, anything higher keeps me indoors. There was a wonderful dry breeze blowing when I went to the store. It's only 81 degrees out now. That Hemp Balm I got here at PH does as good a job of stopping pain as the CBD oil for oral use. It's less expensive and a little goes a looong way. I laughed at the people at Publix. I like heavy loaded bags and they worry about my having to bring them upstairs. I have the reusable bags that hold a lot. As long as I'm balanced, I'm like a pack mule. Still, I need to watch out for neck and shoulder pain. Hope your neck feels better and you're able to go to your art group.

Julie, have you ever canned spiced apple rings? I've always loved using them to add color and spice to meals. How about homemade cider? The bruised apples would be good for that. Of course, the deer might picket to get their salad bar back. My ex and I would have been married 56 years in Dec. I guess he thought the appropriate gift for our 25th was a divorce. I can make jokes about it now but I do think long marriages are wonderful. You mentioned that Den wanted to make the top to your kitchen island from those old trees. Think I once mentioned that Joanna Gaines on HGTV once had one made out of the floorboards from an old railroad car, scars and all. It was stained a mid-dark brown with a semigloss finish. It was stunning. I think any wood would be as beautiful. If you think you might give in to the new mower seat, why not do it sooner rather than later? As much time as you spend mowing, it's probably a good idea to protect your back. Maybe Rock can come up with a name for our girl renovation business.

Got home in time to watch a rerun of Boston Legal. There is a new legal eagle show coming this fall. I think the new shows debut next week. Fall officially arrives this weekend. I can tell fall is here just from the angle of the sun and the somewhat cooler temps most of the time. I really should get out my fall decorations, including my fall wreath for the door. Gotta go fill my pill boxes. Don't know why I hate doing it. Pain in the neck chore! Hope all y'all are enjoying life.

Love, Mikie

Reactions: bct

sunflowergirl

Julie: Is that one of those seats that move up and down or what? Whatever can protect your spine is a good thing to invest in, trust me when I say DO IT.

Mikie: I have a variety of bags when I go to the grocery store. Always tell them to "divvy" things up by weight. And I have one of those box things with wheels and a long handle. I keep it in my van and use it especially when I buy about 6 jugs of water. That way I don't have to keep making trips to the front door. And I thank God almost daily that he gave me a one story house instead of a two story like I always wanted. At my age, my knees wouldn't take it. The condo on Maui gave me knee fits for over 3 mos.

It's overcast and cool so I'm heading out for a jog.....just kidding! Gonna do my slow, steady walk.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just checking for spammers. Get rid of at least two a day. I picked up SV's little wet food dish and it was filled with the tiny sugar ants. I drowned them in the sink and put out fresh ant traps. The traps don't last too long. The liquid gets thick after a while. I called and ordered more food and treats that I can pick up at the vet next week. We got our financials for our building and I still have to go over the expenses. I always do a quick peek at the balance sheet and put it aside until I have time to check the details. The stomach problems aren't completely over but I'm doing a lot better today. I was worried about having stomach cramps hit while I was at the store but thank goodness I made it through til I got home.

Sun, my knees bothered me after climbing the kids' stairs but my condo is on one floor and I'm not going up and down our stairs all the time. I'm still very strong and try to bring up two heavy bags. I leave anything that won't fit in the bags in the car until later as long as they are not perishable. I need to clean the car before we go to the movies because I'm driving. My pals have small cars that I don't like having to crawl into. I only buy Smart Water but I get my drinking water from the dispenser in the fridge door. It's filtered as is the ice. I have a couple of cases of water during hurricane season just in case. Dispenser doesn't work without electricity. Hope your neck is better.

OK, gonna go fix my sandwich. I got some beautiful tomatoes on the vine at Publix. We'll see whether they have any taste. I have found the ones on the vine have better flavor. Adieu, mes amis.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Good afternoon dear ones,

Just wanted to popin and at least read a bit. A crazy day today. Had an appt with the naturopath today . Nothing to new but picked her brain for some good or hopeful cures of symptom reducers. I think she said my fungal situation is a little better than last time but disgusted that my doc won't even test me for it than was. Addressing pain ,little sleep and the usual stuff and urinary frequency and some discomfort. In other words I am falling apart little by little. That was my assumption :)!! She also gave me a suggestion on what else I might take for OP, like Algaecal instead of just calcium after she looked at my bone density results. It actually rained a bit while I was in her office. May rain again in the afternoon but shouldn't b like yesterday or the day before.

MY DCD had a very hard time coming home from work yesterday. At one point she said she was knee deep or there abouts in water. The buses stopped running for awhile so she had to wait , and probably sti for a snack or eat lunch before she could resume homeward operation Her work let her out early and she didn't get home till pretty late in the day. Then she had to take the rail after that. Hope everything good that has been happening to and for her will continue so she can move out of the tiny place in bad area to a little bigger place whee she can actually cook something . It is also much closer to her work. I think I told you all about it but wasn't sure for awhile if she would be continuing on with that job and her brain would continue to work the way it should.

Yes, some people got a lot of awful rain. I saw on FB that a good friend of mine who lives in Houston got water in her house but not over the baseboards or over them. She will have to get new flooring. She lives fairly close to one of the bayous. Some areas got it very bad and others like us up north it just depends. We were lucky and we are fairly high up. It was really terrible in some areas and some very low spots around here but we were pretty lucky. Just busy cleaning up the mess outside and dead limbs .

Nice to see you all. We have a funeral to go to tomorrow so it will be a broken up day. I know DH wants to do more cleaning up of the outside.

I too do not buy much water at all. I get most of it from the filtered refrigerator door. Occasionally I buy one of those special waters with some flavors but not often as they are not cheap and I know DH wouldn't want to get a whole pile of it from Sams Club.

Got a call from our cleaning ladies who were supposed to come at 1:30 but the people whose homes they do before me had no electricity and so they were asked to come later, for them. So, They are coming at 4 pm. An awful time but need to get it done. I am sure that many people's lives have been screwed up by the storm. This was the least of it for sure, for us,

Love to everydobby, Sorry I don't have time to address everyone individually. Have to go fool with my wash !!
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Getting really tired. Watched the special on Phil Hartman. It's so obvious in hind sight that his wife was mentally ill. She was taking a prescription of Zoloft and told her doc that she was jumping out of her skin. He told her to cut the dose and that was it. She was self-medicating with cocaine and alcohol. All this was a lethal mix. He was so busy with his career and seemed to just hope everything would be okay. He probably didn't know what to do. From the comments of friends, it doesn't sound as though he was cut out to be a husband. Such a tragedy, especially for their two children who are now grown.

Granni, I'm glad you weren't flooded. Still haven't heard from the kids with the Galveston house. Glad the fungus among us is better. I've had the same thought that I'm falling apart. I guess that is what aging is. Getting old is like a video game. Obstacles keep popping up and we have to blast through them or go around, anything to keep going. Do you use the Himalayan salt? Dr. Mercola says the trace minerals in it are so good for keeping bones healthy. I also take a multivitamin rich in trace minerals. My osteopenia is worse so I've had to add vitamin D3 to the mix. My BP and sugar are good so, at least, something is doing well. Cholesterol has been good but I haven't had it checked in a year. I go to the lab next week. Your poor DD. That must have been horrible trying to get home. I continue to keep her in my prayers and also hope she keeps making such good progress. I need to throw a couple of loads in the W&D but will do it tomorrow. At least, you have a nice new W&D to help. I still love my old ones and hope and pray they just keep going and going and going...

We have had another windy little rainstorm. SV is out enjoying the now humid air. He asked for more wet food but I can't put it down until the ants have a chance to poison themselves in the little ant motel. He's such a good boy and ate some of his dry food. Got my new Medicare Advantage benefit changes for next year. Not many changes but the maximum out of pocket has dropped $1,000 to $3,900. That's a lot but probably not enough to bankrupt most folks. After that, everything is covered 100 percent. There is no premium and no deductible. If I had a supplement and paid extra for Part D coverage, I'd be out $3,000 a year in premiums whether I used it or not. So, I take good care of myself and try to keep medical costs low.

Hope everydobby is having a great evening.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

Well, the board's computer is asking me to enter a valid message.

As Jack Benny used to say, "Good night Folks".

sunflowergirl

Granni: So sorry for everyone who got hit with flooding. Your poor DD.....what an ordeal. I hope she can find another place to live.

Mikie: I think you and I have the both health insurance plan thru United Health. My max out of pocket is $1,500 and I've actually just reached it due to the chemo treatments, etc. Now I'm wondering what mine will be. Did you get something in the mail?

Rock: Hope to see more from you than Good night folks!!!!

i too myself to my art group, thanks to some tylenol. Terrible to have to live around pain pills, and ice pack. I did 5 min. Of wrong bending over this morning and was hit again with pain, so......ice on my neck and back immediately. Nice to chat though and had some good laughs and a few sad moments. The lady in charge came in late, wrung out. Her sister is now in hospice, the final days of suffering from cancer. And then she had to leave early to get some medical test. Doesn't sound good for her either.

So after stopping at 99 cent store to pick up some veggies, I came home and snacked on some cheezits and a glass of red wine. Sooooo bad for meo_O.......but relaxed me enough to grab an almost 2 hr. Nap. I'm trying very very hard NOT to hit the bed right after lunch, and instead wait for a late one so I can stay up later in the evening.

I'm hoping to go visit a good friend tomorrow and go out for lunch. I never know though how I'm going to feel. She's understanding though. We've been friends for over 50 years and is more like a sister to me that I never had.

springwater

Hello

Sorry to be absent. I see lots of posts and the most beautiful picture of fall...thank you, Mikie.

An annoying cold has been going through all members of the family, and with the continuous rain, not the ideal situation. weather finally changed yesterday, warm sun from morn to evening. but its overcast today again.

Granni and Sun - sorry to hear about the vast amounts of flooding in Galveston. Mother Nature is not being at her kindest this year. i know you all didnt need the extra worry about your kids.

Rock - can Gordon work the computer or is it your computer itself.

Sun - finding the right shoes is a joy. i mostly wear open toe sandals. There are very lovely shoes of Indian design (east) with beads and stuff but not for me, i dont find them comfortable.

its nice to have an understanding friend. who doesnt mind if you cancel plans. i guess we all have one or two of those after upsetting some others not so understanding. i guess most of us just dropped out of the normal socializing circle. and pared it down to what our bodies can cope with.

Mikie - youve been struggling with health miseries, i see. Just the pits. but nice to read about the goings on in your hood. i like your little bunch of friends. i know you must miss going out like you used to, i remember the music concerts you all pals used to attend. i wonder whe5her part of our life lessons we signed on for is to accept with grace the changes that come into our lives and rise above them, if theyre difficult ones.

i saw this on the utube and found it simply charming and joyful.

wheni had just been put into boarding school,our cottage ( 20 or so different cottages housed all 5he boarding students all sponsored by donors in uk, switzerland) sang 5his for 5he annual singing competition). when i went home for winter vacations i taught this song to my mom who used to sing it lustily while washing clothes on her washing board and using the wooden beater. i must have been six. Brought back a whole lotta memories. They are good memories. Things unravelled when i was eight. and went on a downslide.

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Saturday Morning, Kids,

Up early but got enough sleep. Nothing much going on in my life and nothing is just about what I can handle. Claudia and Nancy seem to be tired lately too. Claudia got the FJ question last night so we got our virtual chocolate. Nancy lives in MI where the mosquitos are passing equine encephalitis to people. Few survive and those who do are usually left with brain damage. Nancy is always outside working in her yard. Says she wears repellent with DEET but I still worry about her. Her daughter has had her horses vaccinated.

Rock, can Gordon help you with posting? There must be some simple thing that is keeping you from being able to do it. Strangely, your posts are posting so perhaps things aren't too messed up. Why not try again. Good luck. BTW, the "enter a valid message" appears when you hit the post reply button but haven't typed anything. If you accidently slip down to the empty box below your post and click on the post reply button, you get that message.

Sun, could be. The benefits, including max out of pocket, depend on how much profit the co. makes in a particular area and the average that Medicare spends per person on traditional Medicare. The bigger the population, the more money the co. usually gets. Over in Miami, they have great benefits. Ours are pretty good here. Your max out of pocket is great. Joe pays more than $200 a month for his supplemental and Part D and his benefits aren't as good as mine in the Advantage plan. Glad you got to your art group. I also have to make tentative plans except when people are depending on my going and when the event is important. For board meetings, it isn't important. For the movie on Tues., I will go even if I have to rest up for it. Hope you enjoy your lunch today.

Spring, I have tried to find shoes that don't have open toes but come up empty handed. In fact, I have a hard time finding clothes of any kind now. I remember when my Mom had the same problem. Glad you got a little bit of sun. Being sick with dreary weather sucks. I think you are right about life's lessons. I don't seem to mind not doing what I used to do. If I wanted to, I could still go to concerts but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Even my kids in their 50's aren't as driven as they once were. Funny how old songs we loved can bring back so many memories. Glad your memories are good but am so sorry for all you went through as a child. Claudia's Mom is in a nursing home for people with advanced dementia. They have weekly sing alongs that the patients love. Seems music continues to stimulate us even when other memories are gone.

Gonna go read the virtual newspaper. Hope all y'all have a wonderful start to the weekend.

Love, Mikie

lydia1

Good Saturday morning! 73 degrees, with an expected high of 80. Thunderstorms supposed to start right after lunch and continue into tomorrow. I wanted to get to Keira's volleyball game after church tomorrow...hope it's not too stormy for the two hour drive. They'll understand if we don't make it, but I want to get to at least a couple of them.

Glad to see so many posts...I ended up being gone all day yesterday, then picked apples when I got home.

Rock, I've done the same thing...accidentally hit "post reply" before typing anything and the screen tells me to "type a valid message" or something to that affect. If you can still see our posts, just know that we miss you when you can't get here.

Sun, glad you got to your art group. Good to be around people and visit...very sad about the lady's sister. Hope you can get out today to visit your dear friend and go to lunch.

Granni, glad DCD made it home...and hope she continues to make the improvements in her life...baby steps, I'm sure. Your poor cleaning ladies...trying to keep everyone happy and taken care of. Glad most of their clients are understanding, although it does call for being flexible, true?

Mikie, I like the comparison of life to a video game...that's it, for sure. Thank you for taking care of the spammers...imagine not having anything better to do than try to trick or take advantage of people.

Mikie and Sun...I'll probably let Den get a new mower seat by next spring since this season is nearly over. He says it will be like riding in one of those fancy semi trucks...I'll just be gliding over the lawn, lol!

Barry and Star...thinking of you guys. Pop in when you can.

I woke before 6:00 am today...unusual for me. Finally got up about 45 minutes later, but not making too much noise since Den is still asleep. Well, the rain started early, so I guess we'll be inside today.

Yesterday did not go according to my initial plan at all, lol! I located my apple peeler, still in the box...but when I took it out, I realized it was one of the old ones that you have to clamp to something (my newer one has a suction cup base that fastens easily to the countertop.) Decided it might be worthwhile to just go pick up a new one again since I had several other things on my list that I didn't get when I went to the chiro (different towns, different stores I usually shop at.) And I wanted to get a package out to Lindsey and family, etc.

Stopped to check on the new baby as I was leaving home (they're just up the road) and got to hold Baby Lyle while Big Brother Devon kept a close watch. Mama needed a few things from town, so I was glad I had stopped. Ended up being several hours running errands, shopping, post office, etc. Stopped at Goodwill and found a really nice dresser for $29.99, and a two drawer file cabinet that was marked, unbelievably $1.99 (not a scratch on it, the drawers work great...no keys, but that's not a big deal.) I don't really need one, but one of my kiddos is bound to, lol! And I found a really neat 2 shelf oval coffee table...the bottom shelf is wood, the top is beveled glass. Someone had tried to paint the frame white, but didn't cover very well. I'm going to repaint it the same color as the bottom part of our walls in the living room...I think it's called Sunset Red or something.

Anyway, five hours later, I dropped the diapers, etc. off for the new baby and we ladies were talking about apples. The sister of the new mom said their mother makes apple butter in the oven and I should stop by to get her recipe...since it was also on my way home, I stopped to ask Ruby about it. She was in the kitchen, surrounded by five of her boys (the youngest just turned five.)

Came home, unloaded cold stuff, then hopped in the pickup and headed to the apple tree. Had the 8 ft. step ladder in the bed of the truck, so I could reach some of the nicer, bigger apples (put a bag with a long strap around my neck to put the apples in and could nestle myself up in the tree branches to use both hands to pick.) It got dark, so I was literally just reaching until I felt something big and round, lol! So many apples just "out of reach"...well, no sense taking chances...they're still up there and the birds can have them, haha! Unless I decide to actually climb the tree and get higher, but I'm plenty sore from just going up and down the ladder. Yes, cider would be a great idea...we don't have a press, but some of the Amish might have connections. I didn't really want to do a lot of canning, but could "water bath" some pints of some stuff.

Anyway...as they say, "the best made plans", lol! Den was on the backhoe yesterday, and was nearby while I was up in the tree, lol...we were both "feeling our age" last night. Crashed on the couch with a new season of "Blacklist" on Netflix...that's our exciting life. We, too, used to go out and about a lot more...but don't feel a great need to socialize these days. The sun's finally lighting things up, so I'd better get some breakfast going and get ready for the day. Take care, everyone!

Granniluvsu

Dear Ones,

Not sure if this will be it for the day or not. It is 9:30 am. and am waiting till it is time to leave for a funeral or should I say memorial. A friend in our neighborhood who is in charge of our couples lunch group;s husband passed away suddenly. I thin he we about my age or a bit younger . They went to Fl to visit her mom and as I understand it all of a sudden he became ill and never did get out of the car alive. Not sure if they drove or few. I guess they flew. It was around the time of the last time FL had, Guessing he had a bad stroke or heart attack but have not heard anything. He was a neat but quiet guy who used to write articles for our community paper on the veterans in our neighborhood. He did a neat one about my DH also. It is rather a sad situation all around. Since she retired from accounting they have been taking trips and being quite busy. I wonder if she will continue with our group. Hope so, we also have another man who just lost his wife who is in our couples lunch group. She also did a lot of the work and contacting restaurants and participants,for the group.

JULIE - You wear me out girl with all your doings but then you are still young:)!! Climbing u in the tree yet?? Don't think I could do that any more not that I climbed that many trees in my life, maybe when I was very little, Be careful sweetie you don't fall out of the tree but it is good for the joints if you can do it, I'll bet you are sore from all that apple picking.

SUN- DCD had someone help her find an appt she could afford but it is still expensive for her. She will have to be careful with her money. She has been approved for the apartment. It is small I am sure but has no furniture so she will have to at least start getting some basic furniture little by little. Guessing we might be helping some with that but not awhile lot. Had no trouble getting to and from work yesterday while some areas still had a bit of rain. We got some up north while I was out in the health food store and waiting for my naturopath appt. Hoping and praying that this all continues to work out for her.

ROCK - Thinking about you and sorry for all your computer woes. Hope you are doing as OK as possible. We will you when you can't visit.

MIKIE - I also have problems with finding shoes. What a pain for sure.

Gotta run and get ready for the memorial service.

Love,
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Not much doing right now. For some reason, my TV antenna is disrupted a lot lately. I'm watching a show on HULU about UFO's. Seems there is renewed interest in them. I think this show is old, just during Obama's second term. It focuses on the presidents and their experiences with UFO's back to Truman. I am feeling dizzy and don't know whether it's the stuffiness in my head or my BP med.

Julie, hope you have your cell phone when you climb trees. Back in the day when I was younger, I could climb like a monkey but now I have to have the watch for fall detection just walking around. I saw on the national weather news that the rain you are getting is part of a big, slow moving system. Sposda hang around a while. I think the spammers may be part of a pyramid scheme because there are so many different ones who leave the same links. In any case, they don't need to use PH's website to advertise and lure people to their websites. Who knows what they are selling. I don't go to their websites because it isn't safe and PH's priority is safety for the people who are members or visit here. Mmmm, applesauce or apple butter is perfect for fall and, if you put some up, it's perfect for those winter meals. I'll eat applesauce almost anytime. Of course, mine comes out of a jar from Publix. :)

Granni, so sad about that woman's husband. On the other hand, when it's time to go, a quick death is what I want. It is a shock to family members when it's unexpected. I keep losing friends here, some to death and some who have moved because they can't live independently anymore. Some of the problems I have with shoes is that I have long skinny feet. Everything with a heel slips and causes blisters. When I flew, I noticed that even when women were a little more dressed up, they had on sandals or comfortable sporty shoes. Going to memorial services or funerals is sad.

Well, on that note, I'm gonna go. The UFO show was a bust and I'm now watching a renovation show. Beautiful big house on the beach and an expensive renovation but absolutely no inspiration. On the inside, it looks like a cheap apartment. Aah, Americas Test Kitchen is on. Finally, something interesting to take my mind of the dizzies. Hope everydobby else is enjoying the weekend.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Granni: At least your DD is making slow progress. So long as she has a roof over her head she can slowly get furniture, etc. If this is something like nextdoor.com out where she lives she can ask for furniture. So many people love to help others, you just have to ask.

Mikie: A friend of mine went to see Downton Abby the movie yesterday. She liked it but said it felt disjointed. I'll just have to wait until it comes to DVD cause I can't sit very long anyplace.

Julie: Oven apple butter sounds like a good deal. Did you get the recipe?

I'm going to my friend's house in a couple of hours. She has been busy redoing the entire house, had all the cottage cheese ceilings scraped and reworked, new BR furniture, lots of structural work through out. I'm taking an outdoor clock and a little verse to hang about how we don't get to choose our relatives but our friends become our family. How very very true. I cant tell you the times I've been disappointed/hurt by my two oldest kids. Won't go into that.

bct

Hi All.
I lost my post yesterday! First time that has happened. .... I told Mikie to delete it if she thought it too political --- climate warming, autocracy, homelessness, etc.

Well I'm too darned tired today -- woke at 4 am, couldn't get back to sleep. I must compensate today.

Julie, the queen of apples. What fun you must have had picking apples in the dark! Do you eat an apple a day to keep the doctor away? lol.. We are overwhelmed by the apple crop this year; some branches of the Jonathan broke from the weight. The deer will have a good time, and maybe the bears too.

Sun, I haven't yet had my next ultra-sound for my carotids yet, but I think it'll be next month. Gotta have blood test for the leukemia, etc, etc. New doctor.-- we'll see how that works out. So sorry for your neck and back pains.

Mikie, I'm nuts about nuts, and LOVE pistachios. Really expensive though! Cashews too! R bought a jar of them last week at Costco for a treat -- the cashews that is.

Anniversaries : R and I will have our 51st. on Thanksgiving. A long, long time.

Granni, the rain, the rain, and then more rain. I've read about all the road closures, rescues, etc. Keep safe my dear. DON'T feel compelled to go anywhere! I am so curious about your skin condition and what it is. The doctors don't know? Am sorry for your other painful/uncomfortable conditions too.

Rock, longer posts please, even if it means dictating them to G. He can be your scribe, as it were. I am so tired, and sick and tired of being sick and tired and discombobulated. Lonely here in the jungle ("garden" that was), most friends have moved on....

Spring, how long were you at boarding school? I went to one for two years in London, my first two yrs. of high school. Then moved to California where the schooling was lousy. They DIDN'T even teach Latin! Students unruly. I was glad I only had to go there for two years, and then on to Uni, which was much better.,

Just ate a Pink Pearl apple. Tasted SO good. The pink flesh is rather pretty as well as tasty. Most of the people that I hand one over too, gasp after they bite into it and see the pink flesh. LOL! I don't tell them ahead of time!

Well, I am weak and wiped,
LOVE & PEACE to ALL,
Barry

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping in to check for spammers. They often join in twos and post about the same time for the same website. I try to get rid of the posts as soon as I can so no one falls for whatever they are promoting. I brushed my teeth and went to bed and read while an old Paul Newman movie was on. Jessican Tandy, one of my favorite old actresses, starred with him. He reminded me so much of my ex, both the way he looked and moved. He played a character not unlike my ex. Wonder whether my kids have seen it. Probably not.

Sun, I'm glad you are up to seeing your friend. It's true about friends. My friends are like family. I'm sorry about your sons. From what I heard, the movie has a little subplot about each lead so it varies from the series format. Critic only gave it two stars out of four. I doubt true fans will regret going to see it but I'm prepared for anything. Hope you had fun today.

Barry, those apples sound amazing. Don't think I've seen them. Just bought some Jonathans, one of my favorites in the fall. I eat just a small handful of the expensive nuts. Publix has cashews on BOGO and I usually stock up then. I like them and walnuts in salads. I like pecans in just about anything. Back in the 50's, Mom and I would take the bus to downtown Denver to shop. It was wonderful. Back then, women dressed up to go downtown, even wearing gloves and hats. The department stores were a wonderland of possibilities, especially at Christmas. We always stopped at The Nut House for bags of warm nuts to eat on the bus on the way home. I still remember how wonderful the place smelled. Congratulations to you and Richard. Last year was the backhoe anniversary. Did you get one? If I got one, I'd dig it.

OK, all puns and silliness aside, I hope all y'all have a lovely evening. It's gray out here and it has been breezy all day. That's why my antenna isn't working in the living room. The big trees just outside the sliders are blowing around, disrupting the signal. The one in the bedroom is working fine. I can always resort to HULU or Prime. I watched some episodes in the NOVA series on Quantum Physics with Brian Greene, one of my favorite authors on science.

Guess I'll head back to the bedroom. Love, hugs and prayers for everydobby.

Love, Mikie

• Love

lydia1

Good Saturday evening. We've had rain off and on all day, so just kind of "rolled with it."

Barry, yes, 51 years is a long time...I was 10 years old when you and Richard got together :) I've seen Pink Lady apples in the stores, but not Pink Pearl. I'll bet that really is a surprise when one bites into it for the first time, lol! Den takes an apple every day in his lunch and we have them on hand all the time...so good for you, true?

Sun, your gifts for your friend sound perfect. Yes, I got the recipe for the oven apple butter...I can share if anyone wants it.

Granni, hope the memorial service went well. How especially sad and stressful for him to have passed away while gone from home. Hope your DCD gets in a nicer, bigger place soon.

Mikie, Den has a jar of mixed nuts by his recliner at all times...we both like most any kind of nut and they are packed with nutrition. Yep, I had my cell phone in my pocket, but Den was also only a few yards away. I'm too chicken to get up in the tree if I was home alone.

Today was a semi-productive day, but not in the way I planned. After breakfast, I took the last delivery of canning jars down to Lorene (by the way, she can 79 qts of peaches yesterday!) It looked like rain (we'd already had a shower) and her diapers had been on the clothesline overnight, so I suggested we go get them and I'd take them home to dry in the dryer.

I mentioned all these apples and asked if they knew anyone who made cider...she said she and her husband actually had just gotten one of the old antique presses at an auction and we could do our apples with it (we'll share the cider, of course.)

When I got back home, I went with Den to get him another pair of comfortable shoes at one of the Amish stores...he had bought a "low rise" pair a few weeks ago and wanted a pair with a higher top for work. On the way back home we stopped by Lorene's to see the press and find out when would work for them. She looked so worn out and still trying to figure out what to do about her laundry, so I also brought a load of towels and a load of misc. to take care of. (While the towels were washing and the diapers were drying, I took a nap, lol!)

Decided to make a casserole to take to Amy's tomorrow when we go for Keira's game. And had a couple of homemade sourdough pizza crusts in the freezer, so got them out and made up a couple pizzas to take to Lorene's family when I returned her laundry. And her sourdough starter was looking kinda "sickly" so I bottled up some of mine. None of this took much effort on my part, but if it helps them out, it's well worth it...they are our kids' age and I well remember trying to run a household, garden, can and freeze food, etc. with just the two girls.

But, I still need to sort apples, lol! I feel better, though, knowing I won't be wasting the "less than perfect" ones....can use those for the cider and just dehydrate, etc. the nicer ones. I'd better to say a quick Hi to Rock, Star and everyone and get a few things done. Want to take a box of apples to the kids tomorrow, so that will take care of at least a few, lol!