PORCH #1191 IS NOW CLOSED (3/30/20) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH #1191 IS NOW CLOSED (3/30/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

springflowers.jpg

Good Monday Morning, Dear Porchies,

It's time for a new Porch. Be sure to go back to read the final posts on the last Porch. Spring has posted an adorable pic of a puppy. It will make y'all smile. I chose this colorful pic of spring flowers because, sure as flowers grow and bloom every year, we will get through this. I don't remember whether it's Barb's DGD or DGDIL who is graduating from medical school. She will be interning or doing her residency, can't remember which, at a good hospital in Boston. Actually, her medical school, like most, is graduating them early and getting them on the front lines. Barb scraped up her knees when she fell but wasn't seriously injured. She got impatient for the aide to take her to her room and tried to do it on her own. I know she must feel as though she still wants to do things herself. She's a tough cookie.

The docs are trying to get the govt. to ramp up supplies of antibody tests because anyone who had the virus with only light symptoms will not get it again, at least not soon, and they can volunteer for lots of things. They could go back to work if the businesses are still open. Estimates are that 10 percent of the population has had the virus with only mild symptoms. The virus does not cause sneezing so I know that I have allergies but that doesn't rule out the Corona Virus earlier. Wish I could know for sure. A trial of a vaccine is in human trials here with healthy volunteers. One said she had only a mild reaction to it. Bless their hearts to volunteer for that. I saw on the news that one woman trained her big dog to go next door to get the elederly neighbor's shopping list. He trotted over and took the list from the neighbor. The woman shopped and, when she got home, the dog carried each bag over to the neighbor. It was one of the most heartwarming things I've ever seen.

Hope everyone is well and holding up during this stressful time. Talked to DD yesterday. Kaiser has put all their mental healthcare professionals in the fight against the virus and switched their behavioral patients to DD's clinic. She continues to see them using telemedicine while she works from home. She had a couple of psychotic patients one day and said she was glad she wasn't seeing them face to face. She said she will be happy to get back to seeing her patients in person. A lot of the people are no shows, especially those who have just been released from in-patient care. She said those patients are typically very disorganized and it's too much for them to remember to show up, especially using new technology. Everyone is just doing the best they can. DSIL has been furloughed for three weeks from his sales mgr. job. He's very active and restless so it will be a challenge for him.

I don't think any of my kids realize the seriousness of this pandemic and the need to strictly stay away from other people. I think it's because there may not be a direct relationship between going out and having someone die because you, or someone else, didn't stay home. My kids aren't being reckless and they are staying home but they just aren't sure it's necessary. Doh!!! I wonder whether we have gone soft in this country. When I look at the sacrifices people made during the Great Depression and WWII, this is a walk in the park. Well, the garbage is being picked up and that's something to be grateful for.

Spring, thank you so much for posting the irresistible pic of that puppy. I wish puppies and kittens could be house trained and never grow, just stay the same adorable little critters that they are. Sooo cute! Your description of that dog on the streets was so heartfelt and I almost feel as though I were there with you. You have that talent when you write. That's quite a contraption the cops are using. Coulda used one of those when the kids were little. :) There is something new that looks like a chord with balls at the end. The cops throw it at people fleeing and it wraps around their legs and trips them. Kinda like a cop rodeo but instead of cows, they are roping felons. I'm glad you and your DF are steering clean of the law.

Rock, so sad about your neighbor the bartender. Hundreds of thousands are in that situation. I feel fortunate that I'm not younger and raising a family right now. Is Miss Kitty still practicing her purr? SV didn't do a lot of purring and talking when he first came to live with me. Now he purrs if I even touch him and he talks a blue streak. What you wrote about his batting practice made me smile. Lets hope if the newscaster's DH shows up in the video he is wearing his shorts. Yikes! A lot of those people have some pretty nice looking digs in NYC and DC, two of the most pricey places to live. What a time for the TV to go out. Do you have another? Can you get one delivered? This is why I have backup units. Take away my freedom but don't take my TV!

Granni, I had posted that I get a 5 percent discount at Whole Foods but that they are so expensive that I don't shop there; however, if you get get an e-giftcard for DD to use there, it may be worth it but the money won't go far. I always pray for her to continue to do so well on her meds. I'll add to my prayers to watch over her and keep her secure in her apt. and able to buy food. Can she file for unemployment? Seems she should be able to do that but she may need some help filing. Unemployment offices are inundated. I always check the Denver weather and look at yours too since Dallas is right next to it. Same for Des Moines near Julie. I think this is better than had the pandemic struck in the middle of snowy and rainy season although it just snowed in Denver. We are still hot 'n humid here but our rains will come soon. I really need to wax my car while I still can. I threw an extra wax job on the hood a couple of months ago and it is still probably protected but I hate to take chances. Old cars that aren't waxed look like they have leprosy or like snakes shedding their skin. AACCKK!!

Barry, Julie, Sun, Duckie and Star, I continue to keep all y'all in my prayers. I hope you and your loved ones are well. I'll be back later. Only one spammer this morning but I check in during the day. I'm back to writing W&P posts but y'all don't have to read them. I enjoy reading everydobby's posts and it helps me get through this.

Love, Mikie

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/us/testing-coronavirus-pandemic.html?
campaign_id=9&emc=edit_NN_p_20200330&instance_id=17179&nl=morning-briefing&regi_id=111324776&section=topNews&segment_id=23277&te=1&user_id=199059def841ba522e7ae44419581942

This is a link to a NYT article with the history of our response to the viral pandemic. It shows how big bungling bureaucracies did not coalesce around the emergency. It's long as the NYT articles tend to be but very interesting and eye opening.

Last edited:

Granniluvsu

No time to stop and chat really as I am drinking my breakfast and may have to go out and so some removing of plants in the way of our painting but it is threatening to rain.

MIKIE - Thanks for the new PORCH. I just wanted to ask you about WF and may not use them much later on. However, I did try it this time but DD texted and said that the e gift card that I sent her did not seem to be activated . Not sure if they do that when things are backordered or low in stock with this COVID 19 . When do they usually bill you, when it is going to be delivered or right away? She tried to order a few things but I am not clear as what they told or nor is she. Hope they have not suspended all their delivering, etc, due to this or my $ was wasted, at least for now. Let me know if you have any words of wisdom on this. Not sure also if e cards are activated automatically when someone uses it. I also sent her last night a small Visa that should help her but she also has no car. May have to also ask her about transferring some of my $ into her acct. We'll see, this could get expensive. PS - I am back on Prime temporarily as I my need to send her more stuff. - ugh !

Sorry awl, I gotta run for now.

Love,
Granni

Mikie

Hi, Granni,

When I have sent physical gift cards or e-cards, I am billed when I get my Amazon Prime credit card bill. If I were to use a different card, it would go on that card just as any sale would on a credit card. I pay it when the bill for that card comes due. If you have a Prime credit card, the rewards are great when you buy things from Amazon. They add up fast. I'm not sure what they mean about activation other than its being used. Perhaps you can look that up on their website. God bless you for all you are doing to help your DD. I know things like shopping and banking are difficult right now. BTW, I think it is smart to keep Prime, at least, for now. For my needs, it's worth it because of the books and the gifts I use it for. Just got my email that I have a $15 credit for using their cloud storage, which is free, for my photos. They are always doing things like that.

My sweet little neighbor, the one with the two little boys, texted to tell me she is going shopping and asked whether I needed anything. I told her I was going tomorrow and if she couldn't find something, I'd look for it then. We really do look out for one another here in the hood. It's so nice not to be alone and isolated. I think any social connections we have help us through the tough times. That includes our little family here.

I am watching a show in a series on PBS called Genius. It's very well done and shows the lives and works of our most exceptional scientists and artists. This one is all about how our cells work in our bodies from Stephen Hawkings. He uses physical experiments to show how molecules in our bodies replicate and adapt so that only the efficient ones survive. That finally splains to me how we all came out of Africa and adapted to other environments over millions of years. I was so excited to find that there are still traces of African DNA detectable in my own DNA. I'm as pale and Western European as can be. Now, I'm watching as the Navy hospital ship docs in NYC. God bless them. Other good news is that we are receiving emergency medical supplies from abroad.

I washed my mop and conditioned it. It's sooo soft and shiny. I blew it out but haven't styled and sprayed it yet. My shoulders and arms are inflamed and I'm beat but I don't have anything I absolutely have to do and that's nice. It takes the pressure off. I hope you and DH don't overdo it and that all your help for DD goes smoothly. Let us know how all your kids are doing.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

Granniluvsu

MIKIE - There is some info on the site that says you cannot use the WF card on line only in physical stores. Is that correct? Not sure if that is correct then my DD and I have a problems and lost money. I don;t know if there are any very close to her and she does not have a car. If you have things sent then maybe it is temporary. Who knows. If so I hate the thought that I lost $125 and doubt if I can get it back.

I still have to wash my mop tonight- lucky you. More later hopefully if I get back on. I have to make a meatloaf tonight it won;t be to big but need to do it before the meat goes bad.

Love to awl
Granni :confused:

Granniluvsu

DCD says that she is on hold so I guess that is temporary and she has to wait her turn. Does that sound correct to you? Need to go fix lunch !
Hugz,
Granni

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Home again, home again...decided to go to the store now because I was Jonesin' for a roasted checken from the deli at Publix. I got one on sale for a big whoppin' fifty cents off. They are so overpriced that it's no deal compared to Costco with their HUGE roasters. If possible, Publix has found even smaller chickens. Whine, whine, whine! It tasted sooo good. I also got some fresh berries, asparagus and honey. I got other things that will help see me through for a while but there was no flour. I don't bake and don't use much but I think my flour is old. I got eggs and my lactaid milk which was a surprise. Of course there were no paper products or wipes. Pet food shelves were half empty, especially for cats. Thought maybe I'd pick up a bag of the urine care in case we run out of the Rx food but there was none. SV has plenty for now and the vet will likely be able to get it in. Worst case, I can make some following the ingredients in his wet food. They had T-bone steaks on sale and I got a big one for tomorrow. Mama's gonna eat like a queen!

Granni, I don't know about the rules for the e-gift cards. I used mine at Amazon online. You won't lose the $$. You or DD can use it on Amazon. Have you checked to see what groceries you can buy online? Just keep track of the gift card #. I would imagine that only dry goods groceries can be ordered but that would help fill out the grocery need if fresh things are bought in a store. I think I would have to use my Amazon credit card at WF to get the discount but I won't shop at WF. Not sure whether DD is on hold for Amazon or WF. I think being on hold is a reality everywhere now.

This delivering of groceries is kind of a mess. There is no store near me that delivers and it's all done by a third-party co. Their employees are threatening to strike because they have no PPE and feel they are in harm's way. If you have a car, it is easier because at W*M and Target, you can order online and pick things up at the store. Still, if things aren't in the stores, you just can't get them. Both of those stores are close to me buy not quite as close as Publix. DD is at a disadvantage and I'm praying she can find food. I'm sooo grateful that I got TP and tissues before all this madness. Good luck and don't give up.

Rock, I'm so sorry you lost your post. I would lose mine, I'm sure, if I didn't occasionally copy them as I go. Come back soon. How are you and Gordon passing the time? Enquiring minds want to know.

SV was quite excited when I got home. He did a little streak in the hallway. I always give him treats when I get home. I did as the news says and wiped down everything with a wipe before putting things away. I doubt the effectiveness because one has to keep the surface wet for four minutes. Still, every little thing helps. Publix had two baggers out front wiping the carts down with antimicrobial cleaner. That's very thoughtful.

Just got a text that my neighbor couldn't find cooking oil. I told her I have a bottle of canola oil and that she can have it. She's trying to cook for a family. She said the store she went to wasn't crowded either and she got everything else she needed. I'm really looking forward to some cereal and berries for dinner. Yummm!

Love, hugs and kisses to everydobby.

Love, Mikie

bct

Oh my heavens!
Rain -- light but persistent.
Rock, you mis-spelled ratbane backwards. Please correct this egregious error! And please try posting again! If necessary dictate to Gordon or Henry(?).

Mikie, lovely picture of the red/yellow tulips in the garden. By the way, din't ya start the new Porch a tad early? Yes, the govt. bungling up the Covid-19 response is awful!
YES, social connecting is important for our mental health. I've been calling people on the phone, one a day, and having a nice chat. One person is a problem, emitting such angry and dark energy about politics, covid-19, that it is refreshing to finish talking with him. So be it.

Granni, I pray for your girl's job problems, and everyone else's. This is a terrible situation for so many people who have little as it is. I guess we will all have to hunker down and see how it plays out.

Spring, you are really in a lock-down, eh wot? I bet your son is getting very bored. Just hope he doesn't go out and get "clamped", lol!
The story you told of the frisky little dog brought tears to my eyes. Such joy. Such happiness.
How are your pups getting along? Still digging in the garden?

I am tired so am going in to read now. Everyone take care.
Love, barry

rockgor

Hi De Ho as Cab Callow used to say. Saw him entertaining at a Harlem Globtrotters game about
60 years ago. Barry, thank you for pointing out my error. I appreciate your efforts to improve my
posts. BTW you misspelled misspell. No hyphen required. Oh, might be spelled with a hyphen in
your home land. Well, if we all keep plugging away I 'spect we will eventually get the field plowed. :p

I bet there will be a an avalanche of books about the incompetent efforts of the government in the
next few years.

I am reading a book by one of England's great authors. Jeffrey Archer. Among other interesting
items in his cirriculum vitae, in addition to writing numerous interesting novels, he served 20 years
in England's House of Lords. This one is titled "Only Time Will Tell".

Another great pic, Mikie. Is SV hiding behind the flowers? Glad to know you are OK with supplies.
I went into our storage room last night to get a box of Kleenex. For the first time I saw that
Gordon's shopping trips in the past have piled up several boxes of same plus 3 big package of TP.
We have roughly 100 rolls of TP. We're rich!

Hugs, Dear Friends, Rock

rockgor

HI MIKIE, IF iDAVE BARRY'S PUBLISHER EVER REISSUES HIS BOOK IN WHICH HE WRITES ABOUT FLORIDA, HERE'S AN INCIDENT THAT WOULD
FIT RIGHT IN. THE FLORIDA COPS ARRESTED A DRIVER THAT WAS GOING OVER 160 KILOMETERS PER HOUR. THE DRIVER WAS A FEMALE
DOG. HER OWNER WAS ALSO GIVEN SOME SORT OF TICKET.

I THINK THE DOG WAS A PIT BULL ALTHOUGH ONE MIGHT EXPECT IT WOULD BE GREYHOUND.

HOW MUCH IS 160 KILOMETERS IN DOG YEARS ANYWAY? I KNOW SV IS TOO MUCH OF A GENTLEMAN TO RACE AROUND LIKE THAT.

ROCK

springwater

Rock - . Is Florida that racy? I think it would be Tweety more than SV who would be more likely to be the speeding offender.

We have like 10 rolls of TP. Lol. i hope they get some in. Well, i hope they let the stores open enough for shoppers. I hope we dont get accosted by law enforcement on the way to shop. I don t really mind. No one really knows what to do here. The go vt is just doing what it knows best and what it can do. So they brandish their dog catchers used temporarily for humans, and bluster and threaten but they allow purchases here n there. epalese are good at playing it by ear, theyve had to do it for so long.

i think as long as the poorer section at least are able to get their basic needs met, till such time as the virus retreats for good, its ok. Otherwise, well, lets not get into what could happen. With our infrastructure.

yes, some people likely are busy writing books around the pandemic, some thrillers, some tearjerkers, some supernatural horror (the creatures look like coronavirus but have been sent by an alien war lord.)

Tom Cruise might star in some script being written now.

Granni - i think they must swamped with orders at the grocery stores. The ones that deliver. We saw a site where on could order goods and placed order thrice, three consecutive days and no show.

Theyre new to this and probably overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Tuesday Morning, Kids,

Didn't sleep so well last night. I woke early and got up with a headache. Joe and another neighbor were also up. I knew the answer to last night's FJ question but just couldn't get the name to pop up in my poor old pea brain. Since I knew who it was except for his name, we awarded ourselves the virtual chocolate anyway. We are pretty lax with our rules. The most important thing is that we all get together at day's end to check on one another, pray for one another and we always tell each other that we love one another. Love is such a wonderful thing to spread around. It's healing.

Barry, speaking of rules--we really don't have any rules for starting up new Porches. We used to do it faithfully at 30 posts but every now and then, they would run to 40 or so. Well, that didn't seem to matter so we kind of decided that anything between 30 and 40 was good enough. I often will forget and things go beyond 40. I do it when I think of it and have the time. It's not an exact science. How many posts do you think we should have before starting a new Porch? BTW, anyone can open a new one so have at it if you would like. After reading the NYT article, I realize it isn't just one entity in the govt. that one can point to. Bureaucracies are so huge and bungling on their own and there is often no coordination. I once had a teacher who said it isn't the president or congress that runs the county; it's the bureaucracies. I think he was right. Glad you got to chat with friends. It's so important to have loved ones around and to keep in touch. Glad you got some rain. Take care. I hope you got some rest.

Rock, who knew we would count our riches in rolls of TP? Guess we will need it if we are to wipe out the Corona Virus. I suspect that pic is Photoshopped but I like it. It's bright and pretty. Flowers are always signs that life will go on. That's funny about the dog. News showed one in a car by himself with the car in reverse going around in circles. Just saw on the news that FL's cases of the virus are doubling every three days. Yikes! It isn't lost on me that just going to the store could be a deadly decision. I decided to see whether I could predict how long my TP will last. One of the big rolls lasts at least a week. I use a lot because I have to drink so much water for my kidneys. At that rate, I should be good for almost a year. It's not that I hoard but that I get tremendous savings by buying in bulk. Same for tissues and paper towels. Yes, historians will chronicle this pandemic and people will judge how we did. I just hope we learn something so we can deal with future outbreaks, and there will be outbreaks, better than we did this one.

Spring, Tweety would be the likely suspect in any mischief. She is a force with which to contend. I hope your govt. can get its act together too so you guys know what you can and can't do. Good grief! You have to be able to get out and get supplies. China is telling us that everyone should be wearing masks, not to protect the wearers but to protect others in case the wearers have the virus despite not having symptoms. They said that is critical to stopping the spread. Our front line healthcare workers don't have enough masks let alone all the citizens. The co. that delivers groceries is Instacart. Their workers are talking about striking unless they get protective equipment. Well good luck with that in this era of shortages of everything. Our news showed people in the slums of India. They cannot keep social distancing because they live in such crowded conditions and the virus is likely to spread rapidly there. It is next to impossible to care for all the sick under such conditions. The poor always suffer. Stay safe. I pray you can get what you need and can avoid the long arm of the law.

I've had my coffee and shot some spray up my schnozz to try to clear out my sinus headache. Going out likely riled up my allergies yesterday. The weed pollen is better but the tree pollen is still bad. Oh, just heard the Instacart workers are on strike. Our friend, Willow, here has been depending on them to deliver her groceries. I hope they get the PPE they need and get back to making deliveries. An alternative is to drive to Target or W*M to pick up orders in the parking lot.

Weatherman says we will get some rain in our area tomorrow. It's just gonna be scattered but it's a start. We haven't had enough rain and everything is so dry, ideal conditions for wild fires. Life is tricky enough without pandemics. Hope everyone stays safe and well and gets just the right amount of rain and sunshine.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

HELLO, HELLO, HELLO

GORDON AND I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHY ITALY WAS HIT SO HARD BY THE CURRENT PLAGUE. HAVE BEEN HUNTING AROUND ON THE
NET. FINALLY FOUND AN ANSWER. IT'S BECAUSE "ITALY HAS AN AGING POPULATION AND BECAUSE OF THE WAY THEY RECORD THEIR
DEATHS." THE SECOND HALF OF THAT ANSWER MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

AS I WAS WAKING UP THIS MORNING HEARD MORE DUCKS FLY OVER. YESTERDAY THERE WAS SOME YELLOW-ORANGE BIRD AT THE
VERY TOP OF OUR BAMBOO CHIRPING. I ASKED GORDON IF HE KNEW WHAT KIND OF BIRD IT WAS. HE SAID HE DIDN'T SEE ANY BIRD.
"iT'S RIGHT THERE. CAN'T YOU SEE THE BIRD?" ANSWER: NO. AFTER FURTHER INVESTIGATION I DISCOVERED THAT THE BIRD WAS SIMPLY
A DRIED OUT LEAF. I ALSO REALIZED THAT WE HAD GONE THROUGH THE SAME SKIT THE PREVIOUS DAY. THIS GIVES YOU A BIT OF
INSIGHT INTO THE WORLD OF ALZHEIMER'S.

ANYWAY IT'S ANOTHER DAY WITH A RATHER PALE BLUE SKY AND A SPRINKLING OF SMALL WHITE CLOUDS.

HUGS AND GENTLE PATS.
ROCK

Last edited:

springwater

Rock - i had told my DD wonder why Italy is going through lots of troubles recently. There were the EQs, then the flooding of Venice, bad storms and now this.

Mikie - no one country except S Korea seems to have handled the outbreak well. and S Korea too has had its deaths. The virus seems to have taken everyone by surprise esp the way it infects. Invisible. stealthy. potent.

i cant imagine fed govt not rushing to New Yorks rescue. you can literally see the urgency there.

We hvent had roast chicken in a long time. i wish we could get all those berries here, tho we did manage to get a delivery long last of supplies including jumbo strawberries.

Barry - thats nice youhadconversations with people.i text friends. some of them cant get meat.

i wish we got rain. It was really hot this afternoon.

Our dogs are as usual. Play, eat, flop down. Bark at other dogs. Its a dogs life. And not too bad as compared to their hoomans at present. They havent dug holes recently.

i made a fried bread of mince meat filling today. it wasnt a huge success in that the crust got hard. Apparently, the dough needs to sit for a while. But i didnt have the patience. I made DS help me and he isnt too handy in the kitchen.

We have been getting lots of messages in mails...my friend forwards a lot of coronavirus related things including calls for prayers etc...Indians believe the virus can be combated with prayers and rituals...my cousin forwards me messages containing buddhist prayers..

so i got this message from my friend with an audio which had a man in India in our hometown relating some incident about a little girl being born and then dying after eight months but not before a voice coming from her that this virus was coming and the remedy was to smear ones big toe on right foot with a paste of turmeric and water every day so long as the virus was around. It would repel the virus.

I told my DS about it and showed him the audio and he was like, ho hum. Then i made DD listen to it and she fell to the floor laughing for a good three minutes. Tears coming out of her eyes. She said, governments in big countries are at a loss how to cope, theyre crumbling under the strain and who knew the solution was this simple, and why dont we forward it to W.H.O.?

Well, she was the one phoned me one day in February, before lockdown was enforced, when i was out shopping to tell me DS had phoned her to tell her that his Tibetan friend phoned him to say that HH Dalai Lama was saying special prayers to ward off the coronavirus and we should drink plain black tea and recite a particular mantra before 12 noon that day. It was 11:45 am when i looked at my watch.

I was in a restaurant just having ordered my lunch, and came a phone call from my friend telling me the same thing, she had been notified by a friend.

I thought the office of HH would be more efficient than to tell people minutes before the deadline time, so i didnt bother. But apparently DD and DS sat down and drank black tea and recited the mantra which is a holy mantra for Buddhists.

Seems a huge number of Tibetans and Indians/Nepalese did the same. If you mention HH Dalai Lamas name, they most ready believe anything, he is so revered.

Later, it seems HH Dalai Lamas office released a denial of any such particuar ritual.

My DD said, ‘well, it didnt hurt to chant the holy mantra.’

Here, some neighbours gather in their terraces and blow conch shells and ring bells at a particular time in evening to ward off the virus. My DD beats a steel plate with a steel ladel to join in.

Well, its fun, if anything.

God bless

Last edited:

rockgor

HI SPRIING. YES, THE POOR PEOPLE OF VENICE. NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY TRY THEY JUST CAN'T GET THE WATER OUT OF THEIR
STREETS.

YOU EVER READ MYSTERIES? AN AMERICAN WOMAN USING THE NAME DONA LEON HAS BEEN WRITING MYSTERIES SET IN VENICE
FOR DECADES. THE EARLIEST ONES ARE THE BEST IN MY OPINION. HOPE THINGS ARE FINE AT YOUR CASA.

ROCK

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Have zippo NRG today. Joe called. He suffers from anxiety and all this is getting to him. It helps to talk about it but I wish he had some ways of coping. I feel so bad for him and all others who suffer from it. I have suffered from a form of it--catastrophizing. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has really helped. Remember our beloved Diane? She suffered so from it. Wasn't it the flu that took her life? I think it was. I still think about Keven and the cats. Hope they are all okay.

I cooked my steak and it is resting. I'll be back after I eat lunch. Okay, lunch over. There are times when I'm run down that I crave red meat. It should help me feel better. Joe and I both have our senses of taste on the fritz. I thought it was my allergies. Could be we both have had the virus but neither of us has had a temp. Nothing tastes just right to me. He opened an RC cola and said even the smell was awful to him. Today is definitely a day to lie down and read. I have to stay sitting up for a bit because I'm not taking my Pepcid. Don't want an attack of acid reflux.

Rock, I forget everything. When I put away my honey, I found two other jars on the shelf. Doh!!! There was a beautiful male cardinal in the tree the other day. He was singing his song. I didn't see a female so maybe he was looking for the love of his life. Such a beautiful song. It lifted my spirits. Our sky is pretty gray and cloudy today and it's supposed to rain off and on all night. Doubt we will get much but this is how our rainy season starts. We have birds that nest in the big park across the street and they fish over on Sanibel Island. Every morning, they go to work and every evening, they return.

Spring, yes, the infection rate of this virus has taken everyone by surprise. News showed big groups of New Yorkers all huddled right up next to one another watching the Navy hospital ship docking. No wonder people there are getting infected. What don't they get about the need to stay home and stay away from other people. That's just gross stupidity. The people they infect will be needing all the scarce resources at hospitals and putting others' lives at risk. I thought the Chinese were too harsh in enforcing quarantine on their citizens but now I think they may have been right. Unfortunately, politics is playing into the resources states are receiving. It's shameful.

Arg! The gov. of NY is rambling on again so I'm watching a documentary series on the Windsors. Cuomo is fighting hard for his state and trying to tell it like it is but having him hog the air time is getting very old now. I understand it but I don't want to watch it or listen to him. Maybe I'll just go escape into my Kindle. Hope all y'all are finding creative ways to cope.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just finished watching a movie because I'm exhausted but can't fall asleep. It was pretty good and very suspenseful. I got notification that my Costco package would be delivered tomorrow only four days late. Well, that's not too bad considering. I ordered two and they showed as one and then another order of one. So, I'm a bit confused but will just have to wait to see. At first I thought maybe they were limiting coffee. Only time will tell. At least, they have improved their UPS package tracking and I signed up for text notifications. They will text me when the package is delivered. Hope it's not an April Fool's joke.

Spring, I'm laughing just thinking about DD's laughing til she cried and rolling around on the floor. We have some preachers here who think they can pray away the virus and are still holding church services. One was arrested up in Tampa for endangering people after the order to stay home and avoid crowds. A minister who runs a university let all the kids come back to the campus after spring break. They were watching their lessons online but were in their dorms. Some of them are now sick. Don't get me wrong; I believe in the power of prayer but I think God gave us brains for a reason. I think He expects us to do everything within our power to take care of ourselves and each other and ask for His help.

I believe if we are smart, and the jury is still out on that one, we will make some changes. I hope we will stop taking each other and our blessings for granted. I hope we will enjoy the simple things. I hope we will recognize that the poor suffer more profoundly than the rest and will make sure they are better taken care of and given opportunities. I hope we will be better prepared for another pandemic. Unfortunately, I see so many in our country acting as though they don't care if they cause others to die. I see them unwilling to make any sacrifices or even inconvenience themselves so that others may live. If God is a bit miffed at us, I can certainly understand why.

People here in big cities are gathering in the evenings to sing, play instruments and cheer on the healthcare workers. Whether it wards off the virus, I can't say but I like it. It's how some people show their strength, vowing that this virus won't be the end of us. We will recover.

Love, Mikie

• Love
Reactions: bct

Granniluvsu

Hi Y'all,

It was a pretty nice day today with actually a bit of sun. It was a little chilly but not to much which is great for me. Soon like MIKIE said it will be HOT !!! We both worked in the yard today getting ready for DH to paint the brown and flooring on the bridge which he did this afternoon. This afternoon I stayed in and did some stuff around the house and on the computer. I actually cleaned up a few things on the bed upstairs from Christmas wrapping and cards and put them away., and put some heavier clothes upstairs in the closet and drawers. Well, a few things are getting done around here anyway. Tomorrow , along with painting white posts and I will probably be doing some more washing.

YES, it is stupid for people to go out when they are not supposed to and heed the rules but some have no common sense. I know it is tiring , boring and frustrating to say the least but we have to make the most of it for our sake and for others. I;m all for singing outdoors if someone would come and sing with me.

MIKIE - Glad you got your Costco delivery or are supposed to get it. DD is still waiting , I imagine the line is long. DCD should get her gift card tomorrow and my SIL is supposed to go and bring her some groceries. My DS and his wife are so sweet and caring and have no children and all their doggies have gone over the rainbow bridge. So sad !!

HI to ROCK, SPRING, JULIE, BARRY, also missing SUN. Hope she is doing OK!

Gotta start dinner !

Love to all ,
Granni

springwater

Granni - that would be so lovely...you and your group singing outside your homes, but i wouldnt advise you to stir outside anywhere in public, unless its for supplies ..atleast until this outbreak dies down completely. Goes for all of us.

i saw a utube that went viral of a known singer dancing in her room to BBC’s title music when the news comes on...they call it a meme or something...

glad to know you could track your gift card to DD. She will be so pleased. In such times, every little thing counts more. The other day when we got in our favourite milk to make tea with, i was so happy, i kissed the just delivered packet to my kids horror...they made me rinse out my mouth with soap and wash my hands. it had been handled by the staff..role reversal of adult/child..sort of:D.

Mikie - yes, in this case and all other infectious cases, social distancing is a must. i wonder if its being in denial or simply not having had to face this kind of situation, that makes it appear not important enough to isolate.

Yes, Cuomo is on the air a lot..i can understand it does get tedious, but i think its good for governments/public in other states to get a ringside view of what could happen...maybe that is the intent..to inform, inform, inform. There must be no other news to broadcast, too. Most citizens around the world, under lockdown and no facilities to go and report.

My heart cries out for those doctors and nurses battling to save other lives...in Italy, 50 doctors alone have died.... enough of that. i wish they broadcast really good movies on the channels or reruns of brilliant documentaries..i watched an interesting BBC programme, Life Swap Adventures. My DH has been watching more B grade Indian potboiler movies in two weeks than he did in his life, lol! Theyre kind of distracting. i suppose one does need that to keep ones mind off the implications 5his has on our economy, livelihood.

Here is the utube of Rachel Leary; it looks like good exercise too

i got to go and shop a little today. Got in a good brisk walk too. Said hello to lots of dogs on the way. Then at a crossroads 5hree policemen loomed threatening with their dog catchers and i turned back. They didnt let a woman in front of me go ahead so i decided to vamoose.

I hope Sun is well..

Stay safe, lovely ones

God bless

Last edited: