PORCH 1201 IS NOW CLOSED (5/31/20) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1201 IS NOW CLOSED (5/31/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

24548895-pottery-is-an-art-that-is-beautiful-designs-from-thailand.jpg

Hi, Kids,

Time for a new Porch. Be sure to go back to read all the posts on the last Porch. Watching the arts and crafts specials on PBS has made me think about pottery. I have a set of dishes and lots of side pieces that are handmade. I drink out of a beautiful pottery coffee mug every morning and wash my berries in a small handmade pottery collender. My pottery is all glazed but I found this beautiful Thai terra cotta pottery and fell in love with this warm image. The photo has some marks on it from the photographer but I don't think they mar it too much.

Gonna go read for a while. Still not up to doing much. Have a great windup to the weekend.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Mikie: those ARE pretty with the light coming thru.

Barry: Ive been watching youtube videos about echivarias and thought you might also enjoy them. Once you click on this link you will also see a listing of them to the right. And surprise to me, but then you probably have done this.....propagate dudeleys from seed. My neighbor two doors down has some dried flower stalks still on so when I see her I’m going to ask if I could have a couple.

I transplanted a few squash plants last evening from a large pot to open ground. they just weren’t growing very good in a pot. I gave one pot to my neighbor next door.....I thought it was cucumber but now I’m thinking it might also have been squash. uh oh.

Oh yes, I was out checking the milkweed bush this morning and found eight large monarch butterfly caterpillars. at the rate they’re eating they’ll go thru all the leaves by tuesday. The park down by me has 4 bushes planted so if they denude my bush Ill take them down to the park and let them eat there. IM DOING MY PART TO SAVE THE MONARCHS. :D

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Had to pop in to tell y'all about the most amazing app I put on my phone and iPad. It's called Night Sky. I turn it on and move it anywhere I want to look in the sky and it shows me the constellations and major satellites. I also downloaded the NASA app that is sposda notify me when the International Space Station goes over but it's orbit is waaay to the north of me. I remember once when Ilona had her tablet and it was right overhead. The constellation, Cancer, is right overhead. Woo Hoo! My Zodiac sun sign. It works better on the iPad because of the larger screen.

Also have to tell y'all about my Fire Stick remote. It wasn't working and I thought it was the batteries. I opened it up and there was quite a bit of some kind of oil on the inside of the case. It hasn't gotten wet nor been around any oil. I dried it off and took out the batteries. It's air drying now. I went online and evidently this is a fairly common problem. It's silicon. Supposedly it will work once it dries out. If not, I'll contact Amazon. Sooo freaky!

I managed to copy my download files to a thumb drive on the laptop. Chromebooks are so different than PC's. It's actually easier to do but ya gotta know how first. Doh!!! I keep some PDF files for the condo on my laptop and don't want to lose them.

Sun, we had an article about the caterpillars. Guess this is sposda be a great year for the butterflies. The caterpillars are voracious eaters. The little boys that used to live at the end of our bldg. tried to grow a squash plant in a pot but it didn't take. It was fine for a while but I think they don't do well in pots. How big is your greenhouse? I'm thinking about getting a grow light for the top of my kitchen cart. I love fresh herbs but there's not enough sun coming through the window. I can't grow them outside because of the pest spray from our guys and the ones used by the gardeners. There isn't enough light on the lanai either. I love the way our bldg. is situated but it's not good for growing things. I'd love to have a couple of tomato plants but there is no place that gets full sun.

SV is upset that I'm not ready for bed, his favorite time of the day. It stays light so much longer that I'm not wanting to turn in even though I'm exhausted. I bit the inside of my mouth just below my lip and it's extremely painful because it sticks out and I keep biting it. The pain is making me sooo tired and pissy. Hope all y'all are doing better than I.

Love, Mikie

springwater

Mikie - lovely pottery. But how did you keep it clean. All those intricate carvi ngs. We have so much dust here. im always thinking is this thing easy to clean when i buy something. Lol.

Pity you couldnt go meet peaceful goat. :D we had a neighbours goat come into our garden once. Not this house. At ma in laws. it was eating FILs precious flowers, i tried to shoo it and it lowered its head and charged me..i ran and saw a neighbours helper watching from over the wall grinning.

Sun - its so reassuring when someone tries to do their bit for planet earth..and takes the trouble to shift endangered species away where they are less of a nuisance.

Butterflies must be one of Gods most beautiful creations along with flowers. Some moths are too, the huge ones. Well, theyve all but disappeared from here.

Granni - i hope where you are is safe. And that the stores are safe. i see so much going on and hope all our Porchies are far away from harms way.

im sure we all are longing for the normal days of yore to come back. when one could go out, shop, go to hospitals, buy stuff without fearing violence or the pandemic. What a turbulent time!

Rock - i just watched The Limelighters (powerful voices) and i thought i saw the producer Ron Howard ? as a young boy in one of the clips.

i was thinking i should sanitize our gate too and main door. Yesterday i remembered to use sanitizer on my hands after handling the shopping cart. My DS puts on disposable gloves when he goes out but i dont like that theyre plastic.

Im sorry to hear Henrys place of work got damaged. Just glad he wasnt there and didnt get hurt.

Barry - nice to hear from you. Out in the country away from the 'mad' crowd must be nice at this moment in time.

Enjoy your rains..try not to stress. please give Lenny and company a pat on the head from me.

DD made up for her culinary disaster of day before, i fed my chowmein to the dogs, by making a delicious pasta and tomato sauce. It was eaten to the last morsel. Lip smacking delicious. I also got in lovely carrot cake, fresh, moist. They were the last two pieces.

I watched the Rocket launch but thats because they cut the protest footage to show the takeoff. Tbh, my heart wasnt in it, kind of seemed incongruous with all thats going on..i waited to see if they would show space, stars etc..but it was only an astronaut belted in his seat and some diagrams.

The people marching for change have to talk, email everyone they know to not let unruly behaviour and groups with sinister motives (antifa, white supremists, miffed police in disguise,) hijack their movement which is absolutely warranted. A movement this big doesnt erupt out of the blue, and for no reason.

Its actually not just police brutality, its those people in work places, shops, military, firms, hospitals who take advantage of their senior positions to bully and demean others who they deem weak and less than them. Its not even just colour or race. One of the disgusting policemen was a Vietnamese. There seem to be as many whites as blacks in the protests.

The police in this case is only a symbol of what is being protested against. Looters have to be arrested same as financial bigwigs who embezzle millions. They both do it because the opportunity is there. The looters want something they cant buy, the embezzlers want more to add to their overflowing coffers.

But the main message is everyone has to be looked after just the same irrespective of colour. im pretty sure thats what the Good Lord wanted.

Last edited:

rockgor

sun, i too saw a hummingbird nest when i was working in the s.f. valley and like you it was in the same type of tree. must be because of the many branches it has and the dense leaves it grows. it was so tiny and i saw the bird sitting in the next.

we're getting a bit more tomatoes each day and rock is enjoying them too much. i going to transplant a succulent(tiny ice plant that flower all the time) tomorrow into a more sunny location. it's getting leggy from a lack of sunshine and is not flowering. beans are coming along as more are coming up. my shallots are showing bulbs and should be ready to harvest in a couple of weeks. didn't know they get that big. if i let them flower it will produce so much seeds and it grow just about anywhere.

all the channels on the tv are showing the protest around he nation. i found a station, START TV, and i'm watching the ghost whisperer. i just love that show. they also show touch by an angel in the mornings but have not had a chance to catch it.

hope everyone is well,

gordon

Mikie

Good Monday Morning, Kids,

Clouds on the horizon are tinged with pink. Don't know how many more days of all this we can take. TV is showing the two astronauts being welcomed aboard the space station by the three already there. There are all kinds of videos people can pull up to see them as they go about their duties and videos of the view of Earth. The technology we have now is amazing. It's a welcome break from coverage of the protests and the pandemic.

The cop in custody has been moved to another jail. He has been under suicide watch. I can only imagine that he is playing out what he did over and over and wishing he could go back and that he never killed George Floyd. He will never be able to be in the general population in any prison. That means solitary for 23 hours a day, only going to shower and exercise for an hour outside his cell. Cops who go to prison are marked for death by all the criminals and this one would be especially marked by those who were hassled by cops for their ethnicity. I dated a retired cop once and he said going to prison was a cop's biggest fear besides being killed in the line of duty. I think many cops figure they won't go to prison if they kill someone.

Gordon, have you ever fried tomatoes with a bread coating? I haven't either but I wouldn't mind trying it. I'll bet they would be good fried in bacon grease. If you have ME TV, you can watch all kinds of reruns of old shows.

Spring, I don't own this kind of pottery. I was looking for some pics of glazed pottery like I have and found this pic of the Thai terra cotta pottery. Yes, it does look like a nightmare to keep clean. Dust settles on terra cotta and isn't easily dislodged. I think the crowds at the protests are too large and too charged up to arrest eveyone, including those hauling things out of stores. Looks as though the cops are simply trying to contain the protests and stop further violence and injury/deaths. They have arrested some of the people throwing Molotov cocktails and other things but they can't arrest everyone doing the looting and marching even after curfew. Some of the police have taken a knee to show the nonviolent protesters that they understand and support equal treatment and justice. This seems to have a calming effect where they cops can do it. Cops and protesters in Miami prayed together.

Good cops don't want anything to do with what happened. Unfortunately, the good ones are tainted by the bad ones. In big cities, cops often walk in the neighborhoods they patrol and get to know the residents. They are trying to spread goodwill. Unfortunately, things like what happened sets everything back. I can only hope that all this will lead to better relations between cops and the public and a stop to violence. What a mess! One thing this has done is make the protesters demanding their 'rights' to infect one another with the virus look like whiners. Seems that outsiders have used both of these protest movements to agitate for their own agendas. What we see on TV is only the top layer of what is going on. I am praying for peace, truth and justice.

Granni, there is a low pressure system in the Gulf left over from a storm in the Pacific that traveled inland. Models show it heading into the northern Gulf coast and the northwestern Gulf coast. I hope it misses TX. Biggest hope is that it dissipates rapidly before causing damage.

Gonna go read the paper. Hope there is some good news, even a tiny bit of good news.

Love, Mikie

Reactions: bct

springwater

Mikie - i didnt know all the details about Chauvin and what his arrest entails and his being on suicide watch.

i thought about how awful it must be to be him, how excruciating, then i thought about George Floyds family, they were crying on tv and i felt all the sadness and i prayed and i asked for forgiveness and healing for both parties and i cried.

i suppose with this pandemic and everything i was overwrought.

Thank you for your post. It has made me lessen my anger.

i realise we all need to forgive and to be understanding. We all know it but putting it into practise is whats difficult.

i was looking at some pictures of beautiful porches but couldnt get one i chose to post.

We are being visited by lots of parrots squawking overhead. They are such a noisy kind of bird. Very imperious too. They make me smile.

Granniluvsu

Good morning Porchies,

Not much new here. Just wanted to pop in before going outside to work DH just got home from the bank.

MIKIE - Thanks for the info on that front headed this way. Just what we do not need a hurricane or very bad storm with all this going on around us. Your pottery is beautiful.

SPRING - Just wanted to tell you that we are doing fine and no protests in our area, very peaceful ones in nearby town. Houston has had some problems but it has calmed down I believe. Can't sit and watch that stuff all day I would go crazy,

Hope to get back later. Have to go and help DH in the yard before it gets to hot.

Love to awl,
Granni :)

springwater

My friend sent me these photos her sister took of our hometown in India where we grew up. The sister still lives there.

This hilltop area is situated just above our school...we could hike up in 45 minutes....it wasnt developed into a resort then, just the bare skeletons laid down, cement structures..and it wasnt landscaped daffys and hydrangeas ..just pines, firs, a huge circular water tank which supplied the towns water covered in mist so thick during this time you couldnt see more than a foot in front of you.

Granniluvsu

SPRING - What lovely pictures. This last one looks so very green and peaceful. How far away is this from where you live now? Thanks for posting it, Those daffodils sure look pretty and plentiful. Beautiful mountains also.

Did some work outside in the front but not for long. It was less than an hour. I am glad that DH doesn't want to do much at a time since that is how I feel. It would take forever to clean up all the stuff in our front and back yards. Haven't even worked in the back for some time.

I am beginning to DX myself with this probably neuropathy. Besides my feel and legs and have feelings in my fingers and hands that feel like I have a sore there but when I look there is nothing. I'm a mess. Little by little I am falling apart. So, what else is new?? So much for social distancing with these protests and riots going on!

Can't think of much else to say right now .

Love you awl,
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Been watching programs on TV that are more uplifting and not so much about all our woes. I watched one on PBS about the colors and patterns that can be seen from space. The aurora borealis are amazing from up there. Watched one on South Dakota. It's not a state in the news and not one I think about much. All I've ever thought about it was how cold it must be there in the wintertime. The focus was on buffalo and how ranchers are slowly returning the grasslands to natural by managing the grazing. Who knew? I'll have my PhD in useless trivia before the pandemic is over with.

Spring, it is so easy to get upset with all that is happening. I know I feel very anxious today and my stomach is upset again. I bit the sore in my mouth from where I bit it before and just lost it, swearing like a sailor. I don't feel well, I'm in pain and the pandemic and protests are so awful. Thank you so much for these beautiful pics. No wonder you wanted to hike up there. Everything looks so peaceful and it's just what I needed. It looks like a ski run on the far hill in the first pic. There is a man who feeds the green parrots on his roof in your part of the world and their bright green color can be seen from space. Volunteers are again helping to clean the damage done by the protesters. That is a thing to pin some hope on. We will get through all of this and I hope we can make positive changes in our society. George Floyd's brother asked the protesters to be peaceful.

Granni, I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. I had the neuropathy in my legs and it is miserable. There are sometimes spots of numbness. I really need to exercise more but I feel so darn lousy right now. It's really hot here and it's raining heavily every afternoon and evening. Glad there are no violent protests there. Ours were peaceful and the protesters met the 'peaceful goat.' I'm still getting a laugh out of that one. I hope you and DH aren't out in the heat. Joe came home from the pool and said he thought he was gonna pass out from it. This is the time of year we all pray our A/C's keep going.

I tried the remote and it still isn't working. I have to pull the TV out to get the Fire Stick so I can chat with Amazon C/S to find out whether they will do anything about it. I think it's less than a year old. Not gonna worry about it. Relatively speaking, it's a small matter. I don't think SV feels well today. He hasn't bugged me for his wet food (brunch) and he's out cooking himself on the lanai. He's on his back all splayed out in an obscene pose. Thank goodness he's mostly covered in fur.

Take care all you dear ones.

Love, Mikie

Reactions: bct

rockgor

hi mikie, no i have not had fried green tomato, if fact not too many red tomato. i don't particularly like squishy things(eggplant, squash etc.) in my mouth. i like tomato sauces and such but not the fruit itself. i know tofu is squishy but i usually pan fry them before i use them in anything i cook.

paid bills this morning and will go out and drop them off at the post office later. will continue my effort in repotting the orchids this week.

boring days.

later,

gordon

sunflowergirl

Spring: pretty pics. I especially love the long row of hydrangeas just coming into bloom What a nice area to have grown up in.

Mikie and Gordon: Ive made fried green tomatoes in the past. They’re good, but then I like fried zucchini too. And yes, they would be soft inside and crunchy on the outside.

I read that some FB people at corporate are angry at Zuckerberg because he is doing nothing unlike twitter at disruptive harmful tweets. I hope their protests will change his mind. To think that he originally started FB so college kids could meet other college kids at them school he went to. Now look how powerful its become, filled with a lot of hate.

Ive done something to my back/neck, don’t know what. I started hitting the tramadol last night and again today along with the tylenol. I must have some trigger points going on.

I counted the caterpillars this morning, two are missing so they’ve probably crawled away to spin their cocoon. A few years ago when I had another bush they cleaned off all the leaves and it never did revive. Then one day I saw this bright green thing attached to another plant. Most unusual because it had an iridescent gold ring around one end. I did a search and this is what the monarch butterfly cocoon looks like. I put out a wire cage next to this plant, hoping they will spin on it then I can watch as they emerge.

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

I was out checking on the catipillars and OMG.....a big snake lizard coiled around a branch, staring at me! It was apparently looking forward to eating them, so I made a large net bag to put over the bush which has hardly anymore leaves on it. Pretty hard to get to it though. Had to get out my large wooden stepladder to try to get above the planter area where the bush is. When they run out of leaves I“ll take a walk to the park down the street and cut a few branches from the bushes there. All this for the endangered monarch butterfly.

rockgor

Hi Kids

We live in exciting times. But I'd rather have serene times. I thought my childhood was pretty serene, but that was before I learned about WWII. Both my Dad and Uncle were in it.

Watched TV today. Same coverage as the last 3 days. People breaking into stores and stealing stuff. Apparently the news stations don't want to spend a lot of money, so they just show the same shots over and over. Today they were in the heart of Hollywood near the Pantageous theater.

My sister in Minn called today. She had a pretty funny riddle. "What do you call birds that stick
together? Answer: Velcrows.

Picked a fresh tomato today. Wasn't fully ripe. They are not doing well this year. My Mom used
to heat sliced tomatoes on a cookie sheet. She put something on the tomatoes. Some kind of
crumbs I think.

One of Gordon's Aunts took a walk today. She can no longer find her way around, but she just felt
like a little outing. She somehow got part of a window in her house open and then walked down to Chinatown. Finally showed up some hours later when the cops called. They took her to the hospital. So she's fine, but still thirsting for more adventures.

Granni, sorry you feel like you're falling apart. I do too. If you have neuropathy in your feet,
some exercise will get rid of it. But when I posted that before, someobdy said the exercise only
works in some cases. Mikie, hope SV and you are OK.

Springwater, how many times did you fall into the misty water supply?

Mikie, beautiful pottery. Never seen the like before. Looks like it might have been carved from
wood.

OK, going back to bed. Hugs, Rock

Mikie

Good Tuesday Morning, Kids,

I again feel as though I'm living in the Groundhog Day movie. Same old, same old, day in and day out. It could be worse. I could be sick or suffer some kind of unfortunate accident so I remain thankful for all I have. Still, it's disheartening to wake up to the protests and virus every day. I have to get out and do something to save my sanity. Lots of pics this morning of cops marching with protesters and hugging them. Every little bit of positive news is welcome. I hope there aren't huge outbreaks of the virus from the protesters' not distancing from one another and those not wearing masks. I do find it interesting that the news is no longer keeping track of the deaths from the virus. It's as though there can only be one show at a time.

Sun, bless you for all you are trying to do for the Monarch butterflies. Sometimes Mother Nature needs a helping hand. Just read in the paper that FL is buying thousands of acres to help preserve the Florida Panthers that are threatened. They need a lot of room for hunting. I have mixed feelings about social media but it does bother me that their platforms are used to spread misinformation that gullible people believe. That misinformation is used by foreign entities and domestic ones to advance their underhanded activities. I have a friend who believes everything that is forwarded to her by someone she knows. She never checks for the source of the misinformation. I have yet to hear any ringing endorsements for fried tomatoes. I hate frying. I wonder whether the air fryer would work. Hope your pain is better.

Gordon, my taste also tends more toward to crunchy food and not the squishy things. Joe still writes out checks and drives to the post office to mail his bills. A couple of his payments had gotten lost in the mail so he no longer trusts putting them in our outgoing mailbox. I pay my bills online. In all the years I've been doing it this way, only one electronic payment was not credited by my credit card co. I had my bank call them and they found it. It takes only a couple of minutes to pay bills now that the payees are set up with my bank and I can add new ones. I can choose when the transfer of funds will be made. It took me a while to do it this way because I had always written out checks but now I love it. Joe's son is trying to get him to pay online. I agree--these are boring days.

Rock, I'm laughing because Gordon is saying, "Boring days," and you are saying, "Exciting times." I agree with you both. My life is boring but if I look at TV, life is very exciting and not in a good way. I can only take so much of it before I feel anxious and sick to my stomach. Love your sister's riddle. I did find it a bit fowl. Why did the golfer take two pairs of pants with him to the golf course? In case he got a hole in one. That's from a local TV ad for a car dealer. His ads are the worst! Sounds as though your Mom made a baked version of the fried tomatoes. Good for Gordon's aunt. I'm laughing about your description of her thirsting for more adventure. I'm trying to figure out how that pottery is made. I found a beautiful pottery lantern glazed in an aqua/teal color. The design is sea shells. It's out on the lanai on the table. I love lanterns. SV and I are fine. Hope you, Gordon, Henry and Miss Kitty are well too.

Granni, the European model is showing that storm making landfall late Sunday or early Monday along the TX/LA border. It's too early to pinpoint the spot and the high pressure system that is steering it can change before then. We will likely see more rain as it pulls moisture up from the Caribbean. This is the third storm and hurricane season only started yesterday. When the storm is big enough for a name, it will be Cristobal. This is sposda be a very active storm season. Hope we make it through another year.

GB, if you are reading, I hope your house hunting is going well and that you find a nice new home.

Barry, Spring and Willow, I hope all is going well with you and for anyone I missed.

I'm off to read the paper. I'm wondering whether there is any news of spotting the Peaceful Goat in our area. If the Peaceful Goat is named Dolly, she could be our Dolly Lama.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

springwater

Rock - no, i never heard of anyone falling in..lol. Surprising. But those days nothing seemed to happen. the one murder that happened of a teacher became the biggest news.

It was a sleepy town. of course there was no electronic media, if the govt wanted to announce something a drummer would come beating his drum. Word of mouth was fast though.

Gordons aunt seems feisty. Lol. We all are tired of being cooped up.

Gordon - ghost whisperers would be about ghosts..communicating with spirits...i love watching Ghosthunters, im comforted that the people dont seem to come to much harm while investigating, im sure they fall ill sometimes. Ive had encounters with angels, but it would seem potty to most. off the rocker.

Granni - the place where i went to school is in India. we take a flight from here 20mins...drive for four hours latter part uphill, and reach.

I took my family to see where i grew up, the school, our house in town, the rented house near the school, and stayed in the resort, the place with the hydrangeas.

Mikie - the only llama ive seen is in a zoo. It caused much merriment when it suddenly spat at an older tourist gentleman.

i wouldnt go near one. i prefer littler animals who are not averse to being petted.

Sun - i remember being taken to a sericulture farm from school snd seeing the process of making silk..i was very young and dont remember much except i loved the walk down country roads and how green the place was filled with mulberry leaves which sifted the sunshine.

Today has been an uneventful day. Groundhog movie day. Doing mundane things. but i did stop to admire how clean the air was. no factories going. less cars. and rains.

Makes for beautiful outdoors. Lots of birds. Billowing clouds in patches of blue sky.

the DD got me butter cookies as a treat so i had them, dipping them into my hot tea. Mmmmmm.

Well, it isnt exciting but as Mikie says, better than being out there amongthe mayhem.

God bless all

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Spring: I was thinking last night about the time one of my children were in kindergarten and the teacher had gotten some silk worms for them to watch. One weekend we were elected to bring home the worms in a box to take care of them because we had a giant mulberry tree. wow....honestly loud as they chomped. And if I recall the worms then spin the cocoon. The cocoons are then dropped into hot water to kill the worm inside and the cocoon is carefully “unspun” of the thread. I’m sure that’s the way its still done. I checked the netting this morning and the catapillers are still busy eating though not many leaves left. As I said luckily I have a small supply of leaves close by at the park by me.

Ahh.....a puddle jumper flight of 20 min. Ive been on one of those small 20 passenger planes when we were in Mexico. We flew from Cozumel area to see the pyramids of Chichen Itza. Loved the excitement of flying low over the jungles and even more so was when we were taken to a cenote. These are large pools where the ground opens up and an area fills with water. Quite often there are water tunnels leading from these pools to other areas. Divers like to explore them. Here’s a link, I believe the big first picture is the one I went to. And if anyone wants some excitement, PBS is now showing the program EXPEDITION STEVE BACKSHALL. I love it.

Ive been sleeping AWFUL lately, getting only about 4 hr. undisturbed. Feeling so run down. Ive already had nap #1 today at 9:30.

Last edited: