PORCH 1203 IS NOW CLOSED (6/10/20) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1203 IS NOW CLOSED (6/10/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

Summer-Wallpaper.jpg

Hi, Dear Porchies,

Time for a new Porch. It's almost Summer so thought I'd find a pic to represent that. There were lots of beach pics but this one just jumped out at me. There are things we have been talking about. There are butterflies and even some sparkly joyful dust. There is a lady bug for good luck. Be sure to go back to read the last posts on the former Porch.

I went to the store an hour earlier than last time. There were a few more people shopping but not many. There were fewer wearing masks. We just had the highest day of infections but I think a lot of people believe the virus is over with. Denial, wishful thinking and just being stubborn endanger everyone. The bagger was wearing a Publix mask, green with their logo. It was very cute. I made a donation to the Children's Hospital. Publix is always asking for donations for something. I don't give a lot but the idea is that a lot of smaller donations add up big time. In return, Publix gives a page of coupons but they usually aren't for things I buy.

SV is still out on the lanai snoozing away. My only concern is that, if I were in an accident, he would be stuck out there. I could always call Joe if I were able to call. My old Pal, Suzie, was working the deli and it's always good to see her. She broke open a new package of the hot turkey meat so I got lots of the spicy stuff. Yummm. I could have had the rest of the shrimp for lunch but I was hungry for the turkey. Sooo good. The clouds today are especially beautiful and unusual. They are stratocumulus or cumulostratus, can't remember my clouds, that the breezes are forming into beautiful shapes. I always think of early people who read meaning into the sky and clouds. I wonder what they would think the various skies might mean. This sky looked happy to me with dancing clouds. I know this sounds goofy but it's an improvement over how I've been feeling.

I got my frozen scallops in garlic butter and even some ice cream. No one does ice cream better than Publix and it was on sale. Gonna go back to putting my groceries away. Again, hope all y'all are having a lovely day.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bct

Granniluvsu

Good afternoon awl,

MIKIE - DH and I did a little work outside and stayed out a little longer, as it was cooler than usual and then came in for awhile. DH said lets get a sandwich at this deli place close to us. It is a very small place but it is like an Italian deli and their sandwiches cold and hot are wonderful We had not taken out from there in some time. This time we got chicken parmesan on crusty italian bread which we cut in half and share. It is wonderful with melted mozzerella cheese on top. Such a mess to eat but sooo good. Their prices also went up a few $ I think but we have no choice. You also get tired of the same old thing that is on our menu for lunch. So we both cheated.

What a pretty Philodendrum plant. That red leave is in such contrast with the green it is so pretty. Yes, the pic is a bit upside down I think. Also that Spring picture with all those daisies, etc. are so bright and pretty.

Hope everyone is feeling well today or a well as can be expected. I feel the same and hate to keep whining !!! So, I will try not to .

Nothing new and since no one else has posted I will leave again for awhile. Toodles !!

Hugz to awl,
Granni !!:)

rockgor

Hey Mikie, very cheerful pics. I couldn't find a photo of the computer parts that look like pepper holders. I used them when the sound on you tube got very faint. Then I would plug the pepper holders into the earphones & the sound would be much better.

Gordon is off to see Dr On. Remember when Lucy and her girl's club put on a show. Lucy was the Queen of the Gypies or some such. Fred sang a very cheerful little song about being the owner of the inn on the River Out. Clever lyrics. Akin to
Cole Porter. The orange philodrendron is spectacular. My Mom always had lots of philodendron about the place.

Oh, thought I heard Gordon, but it's the trash people. Whch reminds me Our little village decided to make a bold
move and create a trash pick up system. So the city council (This was back in the 50s) bought a trash truck and
hired a fellow not known as a stellar worker to run it. The man installed his family in the back of the truck. Their
function was to examine the trash and pick out anything they could use. So once a week you see them go by in
the truck. There was nothing in the back to keep Mama and the 3 or 4 kid from falling out. But Mama and the
kids seemed to love it. They were always hangng out the back to converse with people. And the kids always found
something they could play with.

I think it's time to lie down and rest. Hope you nice people are getting plenty of rest too.

Regards, Rock

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Between the sciatica pain and the trip to the store, I'm spent! I just watched the next episode of A More Or Less Perfect Union on PBS. It's such a good program. Gonna rest for the remainder of the afternoon. I'm feeling better but still not out of the woods.

Granni, that sandwich sounds delicious. I love crusty Italian bread. I got a loaf of five grain Italian bread at the Publix bakery. It's really good but the best bread I've bought is Costco's all grain bread. Meat at the grocery store is up fairly drastically and that may be why food costs more at restaurants. Two ribeye steaks were $30. Yikes! I have to use the iPad to post pics because they come from my iPhone. Seems they get rotated sideways or upside down when they post. It actually doesn't matter with this pic. I was afraid to try to put it in my first post for fear of losing it all. I've given up on not whining. Guess I'm just a whiner. :)

Rock, I still don't know what the pepper mill gizmo is but that's okay. As long as it doesn't attack you. Hope Gordon didn't get there only to find the doctor was off. Wow, that trash collection day sounds like it was handy and entertaining at the same time. We have scavengers here who drive by the dumpsters before trash pickup and they haul off anything made of metal. I'm glad because too much useful stuff gets thrown away. They provide a service in my estimation. When I was a kid, some people still had the old ice boxes and the ice man pulled a flatbed with the ice on it. We kids would climb up on hot days and ride around, sucking on little pieces of ice. This story really makes me sound old. I'll do my best to get some rest if you'll do the same.

Gonna take this old bod to the sofa and lie down. I didn't find my bill from the Costco credit card so called and got the balance and paid it online. Think my bills are paid up now. The rest of my bills come out of my bank acct. automatically or get posted to my credit card. Easy peasy. I'm all for doing things the easy way. Roomba did the carpets and I almost feel as though I got something accomplished even though she did the work.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

sun, the perfect temp for me is 72 with morning fog. anything over 85 is too much and i surrender to the bedroom where we have a wall unit.

almost didn't get to see the nurse as my temp was 99. since it was HOT outside i had heated up. i was told to wait a bit and they would take the temp again. sure enough it had gone down, 98.5 and i was allowed thru the door into oz. had to wait 15 minutes as the nurse has to sanitize the room before the next person can go in.

had the blood pressure machine calibrated and they were fine with the result.

it's suppose to be 92 today - big deal, hot is hot and 5 degree makes no difference to me.

spring, what goes into your mushroom filling for your dumplings? do you make your own wrappers. how is it folded, pleated? is it then steamed or pan fried? i love dumplings and i have several dim sum books which gives recipe for wrappers and fillings. most aren't hard to make but it does take time but are so good to eat.

all for now,

gordon

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Gordon: glad to read your BP reader is now on track. BARRY.....be sure to get your machine to your doc.
My temp is usually low. When I went to my optometrist office 2 weeks ago the assistant took my temp....he looked at me funny because it was low, like 96.2. I said that was normal for me so when I hit above 98.6 Ive got a temp.

What do you fill your dumplings with? and do you steam them? My DH was Polish so their version of a dumpling was usually filled with mashed potatoes and cheese or mushrooms.....pierogi. Then they were steamed. And when ready to eat they were sautéed in butter. I would make them for christmas. I think every nationality has some type of dumpling.

Its been really hot today. It must have been over 100 because my atrium thermometer said 110. But like I said before, its a dry heat so its not as miserable as what Mikie goes thru. NEVER NEVER could I live in humidity.

My art instructor this week has asked for a miniature painting. I gave it a lot of thought. Ive got the movie, The Goldfinch, so perhaps I will try to do a copy of this painting from the 1600s.

Mikie

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

Woke early after only six hours of sleep. I'm having trouble getting SV to drink water. I think he got dehydrated out on the lanai in the heat and it likely burns when he uses his box. Hope I can get him to drink some. I'm not up to going through what we went through with the crystals in his pee before. I woke to no wi-fi. I think the modem is old and the power to it goes out if the wires get moved. In any case, I was able to get it up and running again. It's always something!

Sun, when I watched the movie, I was enamored of that painting. There is just something about it. It was a good movie too. Our temps are usually only 90 or 91 and we stay inside or go to the pool or beach this time of year. The mornings and evenings are very nice. I don't do well in a dry climate because of my asthma and other breathing problems. I never considered CA dry because I came from CO where it's really dry. Even in CO it's hot when it's in the 90's.

Gordon, I hope you stay cool.

Granni, you too. Looks like it's hot in TX.

Spring, are you inundated with rain? We got a short but severe thunderstorm last night just as I was getting into bed.

Barry, how's the temps where you are? Comfortable I hope. What's blooming? BTW, just saw an app for the phone that identifies plants. You point the camera at a plant and it tells you the name. I think I'll download it if it's free.

My love to all our Porchies who are MIA.

I'm off to read the paper and soon to have my breakfast. Hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie

Reactions: bct

springwater

Hello All

Twas a hot day..alas no rain. Made some headway in clearing the overgrowth..over or under i dont know, lots of dandelions, i can literally see the dandelion seeds floating on the breeze from my window, my reflex action was ooh, more work. They take seed and grow so fast, then they take over.

i saw two black and dark bluish butterflies doing a courting dance, they were medium size and whirled around each other in circles in an upward spiral fluttering their wings, it looked like courting..very engrossed in each other, oblivious to the world.

i felt sad to know these beautiful creatures only live for a week. Like i felt sad to see our hibiscus bloom brightly and then wilt shortly after.

It must be the hot sun. When its not raining, its very hot. Hardier plants, salvia etc do better.

Mikie -that philo is so pretty. i havent seen one before. ive seen that app. its really neat. Identifying flowers.

I caught a segment on Australia tv about Storm Hector. Its a storm cloud which forms unfailingly everyday at their local 3pm. People affectionately named it Hector the convector. They compare it to Old Faithful geyser in Yellowstone which is also regular.

Your picture of the clouds is indeed cheering...yellow lifts the mood up and clouds are always beautiful, no matter what their size, shape or colour.

Granni - nice to know you got out for a good meal. Sounded very yummy.

Rock - They are showing reruns of Heres Lucy on tv. i noticed she is quite a pretty lady. Arresting eyes.

Gordon - we get readymade dumpling wrappers in the market. I just put finely chopped onion, olive oil, salt and cilantro leaves in the finely chopped button mushroom. But one can add garlic, pepper, green chillies too. Theyre pleated. Theyre steamed in ten minutes.

Sun - we dont have goldfinches here. Pity. Neither humming birds. We have an artist who paints pictures mostly of birds. or used to. I remember from 40 years ago.

We have a variation of dumplings that consist of cottage cheese and cheese and veg. i guess anything can go into dumplings so long as it tastes good. They have a dumpling festival where they serve over 20 different kinds of dumplings including sweet savouries. Mash apple too! The restaurants get more and more innovative.

Barry - are you wilting in the heat? i am. Its hot when it doesnt rain. ive started drinking juice in addition to my tea. My mouth suddenly goes dry from time to time. So i make sure my juice stock doesnt run out. And i upped my intake of fruits. Its mangoes and litchi season here. and plums. if there is one thing i like about summer, its the variety of fruits we get.

Willow - i loved the sound of Temecula. Love little towns. Now that lockdown is easing up, you will be able to explore more. But please do be careful.

Some videos from India were heartwrenching. A young man sobbing because his young wife was so ill with the virus, and he couldnt get a bed for her in any hospital. and this is their biggest city, Mumbai. Frightening.

On the other hand, Tibet, was free of Corona virus cases and sent some doctors to parts of China to help out.

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Had a hot soak and just can't get any NRG to do anything. SV finally drank a lot. Guess he just wasn't in the mood earlier. So, the cat is fine and the wi-fi is up and running; life is good. I'm trying to relax and enjoy life even without NRG. I think God has been trying to tell me that He's got this and I shouldn't be worrying about it. I'm not a big worrier but with everything going on, it's like a low-level stress that wears a person down.

I read about a woman who got the virus and, because of her autoimmune condition, her body had a horrific inflammatory response to it. We all have inflammatory conditions and I think that's an added risk for us. It needn't be autoimmune. There were pictures of how the virus ravaged her entire body. I'm glad she survived. I'm not letting up on taking precautions because the infection rate has increased here. It could be because of increased testing. The rate of hospitalization will tell the real story. Even if the risk is small, I doubt I'd survive if it were to hit me like it did this woman and even if I did survive, I'm not sure I'd want to. Glad I told my kids not to come down.

Spring, that's amazing about that Storm Hector thundercloud. There was also a Cyclone Hector but that's different. I looked it up. It's offshore from Australia over some islands. Evidently it does form every day at 3:00 in the afternoon. How wonderful! God's clock! Sorry you have so much yard work to do. I'm glad you were able to make some headway. I've never seen butterflies do that. Don't think I've seen blue butterflies here. We have Jasmine hedges at the pool and they have been in bloom. They smell so good. The butterflies love them. Your post made me happy thinking about clouds and butterflies.

For all lovers of succulents, I saw an article about the Mermaid Succulent and the Bear Paw Succulent:

mermaid-tail-succ.jpg

bearpaw.jpg

I find succulents so interesting.

I had my shrimp for lunch. It's still delicious. Shrimp is good for us and I hope it helps me feel better. I wish researchers could find the switch to turn on our brains to heal our bodies. That is what it is. Some gene is turned off that needs to be turned on or vice versa. Something flipped my switch last year and I felt great for three weeks. I know my bod is capable of feeling well. I can remember nothing I did differently so can't figure it out. Hope someone else can figure it out.

Hope all y'all are well and safe.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

rockgor

Hi Kids, Apparently the computer industry is keeping the the existence of the pepper mill a secret. No need to worry about
it. I got along for many decades without knowing about it.

Sunflower, that Goldfinch painting you posted doesn't look very accurate to me. The bird looks more like a hawk. Course the
painting is very old. there's another one that looks like this Maybe one of the parents was a parrot.

While I was napping an old verse came to mind. I think it was decades ago. that I wrote it.

Roses are red.
Kumquats are orange.
My thumb's black and blue.
Got caught in a door hinge.

Rock

Granniluvsu

Hi to ALL . It is almost late morning to here and time for lunch so I cant stay to long.. I have already been outside early before it got t hot, we are getting a few days of low humidity and cooler in the early mornings. So did some weeding and pulling out excess stuff. DH was out there working too and he did some bug spraying also before that.

MIKIE - So tht is what is wrong with me, my switch is off or is it on?? Whatever it is it isn't doing what it should be. As you say, whine whine whine !!! I haven't felt well in eons but lately also I have been forgetting to take my Curcurmin/Tumeric in the morning. Shrimp is wonderful I love it any way. Now that we can get it at Sams for a pretty good price cooked and frozen or uncooked we try to have some on hand. to have once in awhile I even put some in my stir fry the other day and there wasn't a lot of chicken in it. Will probably have some for lunch. Not sure how much there is left as DH will probably want some too, if there is enough. YOu are right about low level stress. Non of s need any of it.

SUN - Yes, Periogi's are wonderful.. A mom of a dear family friend was Polish and I think she used to make them. Also when you go to fairs and stuff many have them. I love them all esp the cheese but the potatoes is wonderful too. Haven't had any in a long time.

SW - Your dumplings sound so good and easy but I am getting to be such a lazy cook these days.. I know what you mean about dandelions. We used to have them a lot in NY where I was born but not as many here but they have enough plus other hot weather weeds to take over for them. I know what you mean. You remove the weeds and so many just grow back unless you get the whole root and hopefully no seeds blow into the soil. I have cleared off so many areas and they just keep growing back. UGH!!!

Hi alsos to ROCK/GORDON - Glad to see you both popping in from time to time. You must have great food there with Gordon cooking. I love Oriental food of almost any kind unless it is super HOT !!! Rock, love that funny poem. When we were kids we used to make all sorts of silly and stupid rhymes.

Love to all ou dear Porchies inc those not mentioned. WILLOW, BARRY, JULIE STAR, etc. Hope all are well !! Off to make lunch !
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just woke up from a nap. I feel worser than before I slept. Fatigue at this level is debilitating. Not just my body but my pea brain as well. SV got up on my lap for a while earlier and slept. I combed out some snarls in his fur earlier and he's looking quite handsome. A lot of fur came out in the comb and I'm hoping he won't be dropping so much of it on the floor and furniture. Thunder has been rumbling but so far, no rain.

Rock, some paintings seem to call to me and the Goldfinch is one. It's not fancy but I love it. Banksy painted one all in black for the Black Lives Matter protests. There is a candle on a table that has lit the corner of the flag on fire. It's not pretty and not something I'd want on a wall but it speaks to me. I didn't wake from my nap with a little ditty in my head so thank you for sharing yours.

Granni, researchers know something flips our switches but they don't know what it is. I'm hoping genetic research will solve the mystery. I think they will begin to figure out all these crazy conditions. In the meantime, all we can do is our best. I'm always impressed with what everyone manages to do. I'm glad you had some drier weather. I've acclimated to the humidity here and it doesn't bother me but I am not out in it much. Hope you and DH didn't overdo it.

Now it's really dark out. The new photo cell we put on our outside lights doesn't cause them to come on during storms like the old one did. We got ours a little more than a month ago. Joe's went out and he had a new one put on their bldg. He called last night and was worried because his lights hadn't come on yet. They eventually did at the same time as mine. The photo cells are so much better than timers. Making sure we have safe lighting here is a big responsibility. Fortunately, we have a good electrician.

Ah, here's the rain, making the top of our pond shimmer. Hope all y'all have a wonderful evening.

Love, Mikie

rockgor

spring, do you cook your filling before wrapping them in their wrapper? i make a wrapper using a mixture of wheat starch and corn starch. it used in making har gow - shrimp dumpling. rock tried it and did not care for it. i guess it's a asian thing. i also make a 'wrapper' with rice powder and steam it in sheets. you make a filling and roll it up like a swiss cake. both dumplings are light and so good.

all for now,

gordon

Mikie

Good Friday Morning, Kids,

Got more sleep last night and hope it helps. I need to try to start getting things done around here I cleaned off my coffee table and have an armload of magazines to haul to the recycle bin. Claudia brings over her old ones and I usually don't have the interest to read them. It doesn't help that I can't see anymore. I give her my old ones and she and another friend devour them.

Another beautiful day here. I'll stop back later.

Love, Mikie

springwater

Gordon - in nepal we make dumpling wrappers with flour. wheatflour is healthier but flour lets the taste of mushroom come out better. In Massachusetts, i was able to get dumpling wrappers of flour. Here, we make a smooth dough and roll out thin rounds. i roll out a big dough into a thinnish flat layer, just thin enough the wrappers dont break before ten minutes while steaming. (And the mushroom mix is put in raw.) i use a steel glass with sharp edge to cut out the required size covering. in the mushroom mix, salt is put in last, just before putting in mixture into wrapper because it makes the mushroom soggy.

All our dumplings are steamed and restaurants offer the choice to shallow fry the steamed dumpling (momo). It is then called kothey.

I make a salsa to accompany the dumplings..finely diced onion, tiny piece of garlic, ripe tomato, green chillies, salt, green cilantro leaves, and dash of lemon juice.

i also make onion soup from a readymade packet to go with it.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just had lunch. I took the magazines to the recycle bin and delivered the bag of magazines to Claudia. I wasn't short of breath like I was last night. I just don't feel right. My allergies are crazy and that may be the problem. I'm exhausted. People have no idea the cost we pay when we do everyday things.

Spring, do they only brown the dumplings on the bottom when they are fried? I think I'd like that. What is in your mushroom filling besides the shrooms? Your salsa sounds like what we eat with Mexican food. We all want to come to your house to eat. :)

Only about another week of spring before summer officially begins. In the mornings, the sun makes such beautiful dappled shade on the lanai. It's so far north now on the eastern horizon when it rises and its light travels through the slash pine that is the fullest. I love looking out at it. We are not sposda get rain today. Wish I had something more exciting to post about but everything here is calm and quiet. As always, I hope you have the best day.

Love, Mikie

springwater

Mikie - i was looking at that picture of the succulent and the first thing came to my mind was reindeer antlers. Oh its the Mermaid succulent. Quite amazing. Plant life.

i wish we got a heavy downpour right about now .it was really hot today. i normally take a walk to the bigger shops but today got DS to drive me.

They are easing the lockdown slowly and i saw a few clothes shops open. However, i dont think there will be too much choice..India is riding a peak in coronavirus and supply will be erratic.

i do need to buy some summer clothes, but my heart isnt in it just now. Villagers are having a hard time getting their daily meal and fashion is going to be the last thing on the mind. The DD told me she was going to donate some money to the really desperately in need people outside of the city.

I just saw your latest post as i was editing. Believe me, a quiet, uneventful existence is much better to one of upheaval, upset, quarrels, hospitalisations. i have gone through so much that every day without somethng going terribly wrong is a blessing.

I know you too have had your share of heartache, upheaval, illness. I just wish we were not afflicted with these mysterious aches, pains, and energy slumps which hit without warning. Puts a damper even as we try our best to be positive.

Rock - your ditty reminded me of another...lavenders blue, dilly dilly, lavenders green dilly dilly, when i am king dilly dilly, you shall be queen.

(press the watch this video on utube line to play

Last edited:

rockgor

mikie, great looking succulents. i like the bear claw one but don't see a mermaid with the other one. maybe if i tilt my head a bit - not.

do you have a source where i can get the bear claw one? would like to see it in the corner of the yard.

spring, since the filling goes in raw, mushrooms, wouldn't it too watery and soup-like? do you eat the dumplings by themselves or have a salad with them? bet you have to make a lot to feed the family. do you have help in making them? don't think they would freeze well.

when i make potstickers(with ground pork, veggies etc.) i usually make enough so i can freeze them for a later meal. they freeze well but they don't usually last long as i eat them often. i don't make a dip or sauce for them as i like to taste the actual dumplings flavor and i find that the dip mask their flavor.

all this talk is making me hungry for them. guess i'll see if i have the necessary and make some.

all for now,

gordon

sunflowergirl

All this talk about potstickers, makes me want to buy a package of premade wrappers and do some cooking.

And had to look up the mermaids tail......I have seen it which surprises me because there are so many speciality garden shops around. Here’s a link.

My DS and two youngest DGD are coming today for a visit. The girls haven’t been here since christmas so I know they’ve changed a lot. My oldest DGD brought over her discarded toys a few months ago and they’re looking forward to playing with them. Hope I can get my DS to take them all home as they’re taking up so much room.

The baby hummingbirds hatched 2 days ago. I happened to see one out and reaching up it’s beak for food, still eyes shut. The other egg had just broken thru. And the remaining caterpillars have all vanished. They were pretty large so maybe they just crawled away to spin. I’m now waiting for the hanging cocoons to hatch.