PORCH 1217 IS NOW CLOSED (8/24/20) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1217 IS NOW CLOSED (8/24/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

switzerland-hero.jpg

Hi, Kids,

Time for a new Porch. Be sure to go back to read all the new posts on the last Porch, 1216. I left instructions for how to answer the posts there and paste them here instead of jumping back and forth or leaving it to memory.

Glad I made the rice. It hit the spot and has settled my stomach a bit. I'll use the leftover to make rice pudding, one of my favorite things. Think I'll do the taters for my dinner if I eat. Also watched a Rick Steeves travel show set in Switzerland. I loved it there. If money were no object, I wouldn't mind living there. It's beautiful. I like the French speaking side better. Still, there's nothing like loving where I do live.

Julie, thanks for the prayers. I did see that it's gonna be hot there today. Of everyone, I think my temps are the lowest except for Spring's; I think it's in the 80's in Nepal. but it's night there right now. Stay cool.

Granni, the sun is back out so we are getting the outer bands of wind and rain now. Shouldn't last long. I think we are getting a 'normal' rainstorm this afternoon that isn't connected to the tropical storm. I try not to stress when we have these storms and look at it as an opportunity to learn more about the steering factors. Not much of a silver lining but, at least, it's something.

Hope all y'all are having a good day.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

rockgor

Hi Folks

I tried to post Judy Garland singing Look For The Silver Lining, but no workee.
Tried to get here 3-4 hours ago, but that didn't work either. The computer had a
completely different format. Looked like the Grinch has stopped by and tampered
with it. I told Gordon the thing had lost it's mind. Of course when he sat down
to test it the darn thing worked just like it always does.

He's off to see the dentist. Been making lots of visits lately.

I see the Beetles are back in the news. Along with their kids. But you can't tell
which kids go with which parent. The people who work in the news dept. don't
seem to know what they are doing. Par for the course nowadays.

Maybe I'll go listen to Eleanor Rigby. Rock

springwater

There you are Rock.

She is beautiful, and those times were good. Now its just a raucous mess with people rushing here and there. Seems like the more tech stuff people have,the less time to spare. Crazy. oxymoron actually.

Looks like Gordon is your Alexa. Keeping track of your appointments for you. He goes one better. Takes you to them. you both are blessed.

Your computer is bewitched. fonts are not supposed to change by themselves. next time steven spielberg directs a movie, he can incorporate a possessed computer. When its Full Moon, the computer grows hair and fangs and howls.

Hello everyone.

Mikie - wonderful news about Grace. Thank you. prayers going up for Barb. seems like growing old is really dangerous. we had a lady, DH relative in Switzerland. She was 75 when she broke her hip when staying with us at ma in laws. She used to come down every year to visit holy sites. very tough lady. next year she was back and she used to visit India every year until she expired.

ive not been watching news so didnt know about these two storms. i hope everyone is safe.

Sir Vester has a good life. Better than a lot of kids in poor countries. They can only dream of the luxuries he enjoys. And more precious, the unconditional love he commands. he may be trapped in the house, but the kids out there are trapped by backbreaking labour. They cant frolic, and leap and sleep as the desire takes hold of them. yes, SV is very fortunate. And its because there are people like you and our Porchies still in the world, who go above and beyond for furry fellow creatures.

sorry about the diarroeah onset. better than constipation think. yes, rice is good. Banana too.

Sun - true. very easy to get depressed. World is in a turmoil. People having to adapt suddenly to new and stranger ways of things. i know you must miss the social mixing the art classes gave you. Thank heaven your wonderful little grands visited when they did. Years down the line, your grands will remember what fun times you both had, the new discoveries, the laughter. Precious little files filled with happy doings, sayings, feelings to pull out of the memory bank that will comprise their life.

I was wondering if the Friar really did have a vial of poison to give Juliet, to cause her the appearance of death for so many hours or Shakespeare imagined up that kind of potion himself for his play.

Julie - yes, its lonely not having people in the house to talk to, but id rather that than having someone who gets on my nerves. my mother in law and my brothers widowed wife are dominating characters, i can only take their company for so much time. i guess by nature im a loner. So the kittens are getting independent. My, but they must be so cute to look at.

Willow - the way you write is so soothing. i get a feel of quiet country life. When you mention fabric i remember my childhood. used to go to tailors, get scraps and hand sew dolls clothes. i pray you and all our others start feeling better soon.

Barry - trees laden with fruit. Thats a picture to lift up spirits. if i had my way i would leave fruits and flowers on trees and stalks. However, i realise theyre better eaten and enjoyed too. Have you heard of the Horn of Plenty? A tree laden with fruit brought to mind that phrase.

Granni - nice for your DD family to go camping. and meeting their siblings. yes, hope the storms will miss you and Mikie. mmmm meatloaf sounds yum.

we got in vegetables for 3 days. ive been gulping milk in large quantities. Cold sweet milk. been drinking more than eating. Juice too. must be the heat. im not as hungry as i usually am. The DD made chicken today and threw in snake gourd. i had tofu curry and rice. i gave the dogs milk and rice for lunch but i have a feeling they dont really think its lunch. More a snack. theyre used to their meat lentil veggie rice stew.

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Spring: good to read your long post. I had to do a search for Snake gourd and found this. Most interesting flower too! Have you ever thought about growing them?

Yes, Judy Garland was pretty when she was a teenager, but was treated like a slave by the studio and made her life miserable. I’m sure you’ve read about the heartache of her life, dying young. All of it started by the studio putting her on diet pills.

I got an email from a friend today re: her family up around Susanville, Ca. They’re getting ready to be evacuated and she’s asked for prayers for their safety. And unbelievable but I read that a firefighter up there had his wallet stolen out of his truck while fighting the fire and his bank account cleaned out. People can be pretty low.

My old primary care doc called me today. He left the clinic where I used to see him, along with a lot of other doctors who left or retired. He started his own private practice so I think he was reminding me to come see him if I needed to. I asked if his old secretary/nurse also followed him, but big surprise he told me she had a baby so is staying home to care for this one. Her son is 20 so yes, it was a giant surprise.

Mikie: I was in Switzerland before married. Such a beautiful, clean country. I took one of those tiring, 7 country tours for 3 weeks. Wouldn’t even be able to do 2 days now. My cousin who is getting the hip replacement loves to travel so I’m sure she’s hoping getting a new hip will get her back on the road. Last year her grown son went with her to Africa on safari, something she had dreamed about since seeing her favorite movie, Out of Africa. That’s my favorite movie too. It’s amazing that we two have so much in common even though we never met until we were both grown and married with kids.

Barry: wondering about how close you are to fires, and praying for everyone’s safety......AND rain not just lightning.

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

I may be making a mistake but I'm starving for some food with flavor. I'm making the air fried Italian potatoes with onions. Thanks to some Pepto, my stomach is much better. The air fryer on the Instant Pot automatically stops the cooking half way through so I can stir the food.

Another day of texting, phoning, etc. Teresa wanted to have someone come out to put the gel down for the ants. So, I had to check with everyone else upstairs to see when we can all be home for the guy to come out. Tracy never got back to me so if she has ants, too bad. There is no one downstairs so no need there. I patched a hole in my bathroom where the builder cut the water supply pipe hole in the wrong place and never fixed it. Ants are likely coming in there.

I called one of my Mom's really dear old friends down the street just to check on her and let her know about Grace and Barb. She is sooo sweet. Tried to call another older woman in here but it went to voice mail and her inbox is full. I'm worried about her but don't have her DD's number.

I watched a really good movie, The Last Full Measure. It is based on a true story. It was Peter Fonda's last movie. I challenge anyone to have a dry eye at the end. Every civilian president should have to watch it before sending young people into war. Lots of stars in the movie too. It was just finished last year. Some sadness and pain but also valor and just doing the right thing. In the end, there was grace and redemption so a 'happy ending.'

Rock, I'm sorry the computer is giving you fits. Hope Gordon's visit to the dentist goes well. I feel for him. My DD's and I are all about silver linings. No matter how bad things are, there is always something good or useful to take away but sometimes, you really have to look.

Spring, thanks for posting the video. I know of some doggies in Nepal who have a fabulous life thanks to you. If SV depended on me to cook for him, he'd starve. I'd love to drink some cold milk but I'd have to take a Lactaid pill. The Lactaid milk doesn't taste like regular milk. Thank you for your prayers for Grace and now Barb. Good for your DH's lady relative who continued to travel after her hip replacement. Children growing up in abject poverty break my heart. The United Nations used to try to help them but I never hear about it anymore. There are NGO's who do a lot but the need is so great. If the world didn't spend its treasure on weapons and war, we could feed the world and provide medicine. Stay cool, my friend.

Sun, glad to see our research dept. is still up and running and providing such great service. Thank you! Not only did the studios give her diet pills, they gave her sleeping pills because the diet pills kept her up. They really messed her up for life. Hope you are feeling well and that the smoke isn't such an issue for you. Spring is right; your DGK's will have wonderful memories with you. I will pray for your friend. I always add prayers for our families, friends and loved ones in general in case I forget someone. Geez, our list is grown with all these crises. My friend, Barb, the other Barb I walk with in the pool, went to Africa with her sister last year. It was the thrill of her life. She had to listen to the lions making love all night because they are so loud.

Barry, I'm concerned about you too and hope the fires aren't anywhere near you.

Time to go stir the taters. Love to you all.

Love, Mikie

Holy cow those taters were good. So glad I fixed them. They really didn't require much work at all--my kind of cooking.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bct

sunflowergirl

I’m up early with stiffness so I’m doing my stretches. Came across this video on youtube and thought I would post it. I thought of posting this, especially for Sping.

Clair hasn’t been touching her dry food at all so every couple of hours I’m giving her wet, which she is eating a little of it. She’s gotten so thin. I’m going to the market when it’s light out and buy some soft cat food, see if she will eat it. She’s on urinary food, and I’m also wondering if it could be softened a little, and safely left out for her? Life has become terribly boring!

Mikie

Hi, Sun,

I'm so sorry that Clare seems to be fading. SV is on the urinary diet and I buy the soft and hard food for him. They make treats too and Clare might be interested in those. I have put just a little water in his soft food and let it sit out for a while and it's fine. It's also okay to add a bit of water to the dry food and let it soften. Is she drinking water? I'm sending up a little prayer for her.

There is a show on Saturday mornings that features uncommon friends among animals. I had seen the video of the cat protecting the little boy from the dog. That's something Tweety would do. She is fearless. SV would cry and faint. Actually, when they lived outside, they had friends among the dogs in the hood but they are sweet doggies. They also befriended otters and possums.

It's not just boredom for me. I no longer have a zest for doing anything. Too much stress from things going on in the world. I don't feel actively depressed, just passively depressed. The Today Show is featuring Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. DD worked as an extra on that one. Keanu Reeves now looks like Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films. Yikes!

It's almost nine and I've gotten almost nothing done except clean up my mess in the kitchen from cooking yesterday. Gonna do my peppermint bath and get going.

Love, Mikie

Had a nice soak in the tub and feel refreshed. I polished off those Italian air fried taters and they are even delicious cold. Next time, I'll put in more onion slices. They turn sweet in the air fryer. Mmmm!

Last edited:

rockgor

Hi There

Well, this post was pretty short. Got started and then Gordon needed something, and I was gone
all day.

Supper time now. Yes, I just read on the news about all the fires in California. Had no idea.
There seem to be all kinds of discouraging statistics in the news these days.

I wonder if Barb and her sister saw the video on Youtube. Some folks are riding in a safari car and
a lion trots up and jumps in the car with them. Doesn't appear that it attacked anybody, but just
puttin his foot down could have caused an injury if the claws were extended.

When I was a Boy Scout we used to wrap potatoes in aluminum foil, which we called tin foil. and
buried them. Then built a fire over them. There was usually a fat kid who appointed himself chef
and watched over them. BTW, there really was a tin foil before aluminum foil.

Never heard of the movie Last Full Measure, but Lincoln used the phrase in his Gettysburg address.
One of the many pieces I learned in school. All gone now. Gone from my brain that is. Spring,
thanks for posting the Judy Garland clip. I think she was married 5 times. Her most talented
husband was Vincent Minelli who was a director. His abandoned mansion used to be on Youtube.
Maybe it still is.

Oh, Gordon

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

The gremlins are alive and well. All I lost this time was one letter but the day is young. I swept the tile floors and will run the Swiffer mop as soon as I recover. Kitchen is all clean. I'll clean the baths up a bit but they really aren't dirty. Pest guy will put down some gel so I want the surfaces clean under the gel. It's about like a line of toothpaste and is clear. When I went in to take my bath, there were ants on the rim of the tub and a huge daddy long legs in the tub itself. I got rid of them all. GAAA!!

Roomba is cleaning the carpets. SV is frisky today and has been making passes at it and running with his tail up in a high arch. He went into the laundry closet but ran out before he got shut in. I have a strange combination of feeling sleepy enough for a nap and enough NRG to clean. Well, it's better than the bone crushing exhaustion I sometimes have.

Willow, every time Roomba cleans I think of you and Ziggy. Such a cute name. I hope the temps, fires and smoke aren't bad there and that you and yours are safe. Let us know.

Barry, of course, I'm thinking the same things about you, Richard and the critters.

Rock, yes, there are all kinds of dangerous things going on on so many levels. I saw that safari video. I think it's from an animal safe haven that tries to stop the killing of the animals. Evidently, when lions make love, they grunt loudly all night long. Who knew? Who wanted to know? I can remember almost nothing I ever learned. Claudia can remember everything she ever learned. That's why she is so good at Jeopardy.

Granni, it's still too early to know just where the hurricane will hit but it looks close to Houston on its current path. I pray it leaves y'all alone. I had to laugh at Teresa. She texted me to ask if we should bring in the folding chairs on the balcony. We are getting a few squalls from the storm but they are weak. I took them down last time because the path and strength of that storm was uncertain and it would have hit at night. After 20 or so years, one finally figures out a thing or two about hurricanes but they can still surprise a person. Stay safe.

Spring, hope things are well there.

Sun, as I mentioned earlier, I'm keeping Clare in my prayers.

Julie, hope all is well on the farm.

I haven't heard from Cynthia about Barb. I'll give her another day and will text her. She likely has her hands full but she is a very capable person. The lanai needs to be cleaned but it's too hot out. Maybe I can get back to cleaning out the closet. I've done the food shelves; now I need to do the tool shelves. I need to go through the small pantry closet in the kitchen to see what's in there. Yikes!

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Not much new except the hurricane looks like between Lake Charles and Houston. DH went to get some gas for the small generator jut for the fan and refrig freezer when lights go out. Yes, one does figure a little bit about hurricanes when you live in the area for some time, us too.

Not going to stay a lot to do. Hope to check back later on maybe tomorrow morning depending on the hurricane. Making a meat loaf to eat off during the storm and tonight. Cold or hot either is good.

Love you all,
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Sat down to give my back a break and it was time for the noon news so here I sit. Read something so sad. A man in FL who drives a cab for a living got his news about the virus on FB. He believed the posts that it was a hoax or related to the 5G updates for electronic data. He believed the misinformation and continued to drive his cab without a mask. He and his wife both got Covid. He recovered but she died of heart complications from the virus. I don't understand how anyone could believe anything on FB. It simply isn't verified but opinions from those not qualified to give expert advice. It's okay to go there, post and read but people really have to be informed from proven sources. Again, so sad.

Stephen and I finally got a report on our roof with photos. The guy at the roofing company apologized but it was apparent he was only trying to save his business with our mgmt. co. If they recommend him again, they are nuts! They said they were adjusting the invoice but didn't say how much. I doubt it will be enough. The report said the wood in our roof wasn't 'rotten enough' to need replacement. So, how rotten does it have to be? Sooo disgusted with the whole thing.

Granni, I surely hope that storm doesn't hit you but you may get some rain and wind. Even a slight change to the forecast path can have big effects. That's how we lucked out when Irma hit. Otherwise, we likely would have had horrible flooding. Houston may flood because there is little ability for water to drain there. I hope not. Let us know when you can about how you are doing.

OK, I'm outta here.

Love, Mikie

bct

Hi Family.

Mikie, I liked Switzerland (Geneva) when I stayed there with friends who lived there. I enjoyed renting a car and driving down to the
French Riviera, and then back to Geneva through Orange. I hope this font will stop changing soon! Didn't care for Antibes, too crowded and not that pretty. Drove along the coast, stopped at a little restaurant and had calve's brains in brown butter -- a first for me. Delish!
Hey Mikie, I'm actively AND passively depressed! Lucky you! And why, may I ask, are you cleaning the baths if they aren't dirty? Are you ocd, a bit......perhaps a itty bitty bit?

Spring, Horn of Plenty. I love them and find them in the woods sometimes. Hard to see, though! They are also called trompette de la mort in French, or black trumpets or black chanterelles. They are SO TASTY!
Spring, my apple trees are so loaded with fruit the branches are breaking! The last time that happened it brought out a bear with her two cubs to gorge on them. Night-time it was, and I took my torch to see what was making such a ruckus. Three bears in a tree!
I want to try snake gourd!

Sun, we got no rain or lightning. Weather is cooling down a bit. So horrible about the fires raging in the S.F. Bay area, and all around. None close to us, knock on wood. Blessings to Clair.

Granni, shelter from the storm! How far inland from Houston are you? I lived for a few months in Houston with relatives when I was young (very), but mostly remember the little green anole lizards that fascinated me. I think some peeps call them geckos, but they aren't. In Texas, I mainly lived in Del Rio for two years. And then to Roswell, N.M. Traveled all my life, between England and the states because my dad was in the military.....

Mikie, FecesBook can be very dangerous, indeed.

Time out, cuppa tea, love to All,
Barry

Granniluvsu

Just had lunch but need to get back to the dishes. I needed to get on to telll my NP to verify the drug on hold. It such a pain !!

BARRY, MIKIE et al, not sure how far away we are from Houston exactly and Houston is big. Guessing at least 75+ miles away as the crow flies. I know we will get wind and rain and hope we do not lose power but depends on how big this storm gets and exactly where it hits. Think it (the cone) is still between Lake Charles, La and Houston but Houston is a pretty large city. We never lived in the city per se but DH worked there downtown for 26 years, I know that things can change quickly so we need to be watching . Glad we do not live on the coat no matter how pretty it is.

Bye again !
Hugz to awl,
Granni

sunflowergirl

Barry: Have you ever read Peter Mayle’s books on his travels and life in Provence? My son was reading one of them years ago and go so hungry for fried smelts that he had to go searching for a fresh fish store to find something. So he bought the book for me to listen to...OMG....you’ll want to eat everything he talks about. Same way with the books by Frances Mayes about her life in Tuscany. They’re both wonderful.

And Barry and Mikie: thanks for the good thoughts for Clair. Every time she came to the kitchen I asked if she wanted something to eat, meaning digging out the wet food I keep in the frig. I tried softening some of her dried food with hot water this morning, but she turned her nose up at it. Do you think I’ve spoiled her? I think I put down some wet food for her at least 8 times yesterday for her to nibble on. Once she’s gone I don’t think I will get another pet so I have to make her last as long as possible.

Granni: Hope the hurricane by passes you guys.

Rock: My memory is still good for the most part, but there are days when I seem to be out of it and my brain just won’t work. How is the skin looking after the checkup?

Yesterday was work on my BR day, heavy cleaning including my fan that’s on a dresser. I don’t have my glasses on quite a lot of the time and the other day I could actually see large clumps....went to get my glasses....eeegads....huge dust clumps from off the fan from me turning it on high. So an hour or more taking it apart, cleaning everything and then struggling to get the ring back on it with the clamp. I was actually thinking of wiring the clamp back on because I couldn’t get the screw to work. And speaking of NOT wearing my glasses.....I was afraid I had poisoned myself last night. I had a mug of a tea I made with some honey and lemon squeeZed in. It had sat for 2 days on the counter and I took a drink off it last night, then wondering about what was floating...so got my glasses on.....yikes....round floating rings of mold. I stayed up for about 1 1/2 afterwards, wondering if I should force myself to throw up, then decided to just wait but also took an extra probiotic. But I woke with no problems but won’t do that again.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Another break. I'm about done. Think I mentioned that I found a couple of boxes of the Krusteaz Meyer Lemon pound cake mix on the shelf at Publix. There is one baking in the bread machine. It'll taste good a bit later. I have a headache and can't tell whether it's stress or sinus--likely a combo of both. I ordered my free stuff from my ins. co. It comes from Wal*Mart. I decided to go big and got a new Oral B electric toothbrush. The cheap ones don't work. SV just went out on the lanai. He stood up and smelled the Christmas cactus on one of the low tables. He's so cute and tender when he does things like that. He's probably the main thing keeping me from going completely insane right now.

Barry, I'm laughing. Over the years you have asked me if I'm OCD when I post that I'm cleaning. You wouldn't think so if you could see the messy, filthy room in front that I've had no NRG to get to. For the normal stuff, it's just easier not to let it get too bad. Roomba vacuums the cat fur up if I run it more often but if not, it gets clogged up on the rug. It's just living with a long-haired kitty. I do like the baths and kitchen to always be clean. What else do I have to do these days? I'm bored with books, TV and Solitaire. Teresa next door cleans a lot but there are two adults and two cats over there. Mom and I took the fast train from Paris to Geneva and stayed there a couple of days. It's beautiful. Then we took a slow train over the Alps to Zurich and took a short trip on a boat around the lake. From there we went to Munich. Such an enchanted place. It was a wonderful trip. I love Paris but it's been ruined with punks and graffiti. Glad we have a week there to just enjoy it before it got to be such a mess. I'm sorry you are actively depressed. Been there myself. That must have been amazing to see those bears in your tree. Now, I'm laughing about Feces Book. Thanks for you zany humor.

Granni, I think Houston is the largest city in the country in terms of land mass. I've been there twice. DSIL's Mom lived there for a while. Mom and I stopped to see her when we drove down here. The kids and I went there one Christmas and we all drove to San Antonio. That was fun. Yes, you are better off inland because of the surge and because the storms quickly lose intensity once they come ashore. I hope the kids' place in Galveston is okay. The storm has left Cuba and is in the Gulf. It is dark out and raining near us but it's just our usual afternoon rain. I'm not a fan of anything made with ground beef except cheeseburgers. It's 94 here right now, hottest it's been. News just showed Galveston where they have issued a strong warning.

Sun, now I'm laughing at your exploits. Sounds like things I do. Last time I had ants, I opened my Water Pik and they were floating in a ring. All those tiny bodies in a circle. It almost made me sick. Good thing I rinse it and refill it each time I use it. I like the water warm. Sorry, I've been misspelling Clair's name. It touched my heart when you said you have to make her last as long as possible. I probably do spoil SV but he gives me so much pleasure that I'm usually happy to accommodate him. Evidently, I forgot to clean his box yesterday and it was extra full of clumps. He walked to it this morning, looked inside and took a sniff and looked at me as though to say, "Can you please clean it?" He waited outside the door while I cleaned it and added more litter and then used it. I never thought I'd have another pet after Mr. Big but sometimes, pets just come into our lives and we have little power over it.

One more time I'm gonna bid y'all adieu. Can't wait for the lemon pound cake to be ready.

Love, Mikie

• Love

Granniluvsu

MIKIE-My kids don't have a place in Galveston butI know some people that do or did ..I wouldn't live there but a beach house would have been nice if DH liked it but he could care less. I believe that they have issued mandatory evacuation orders not sure if Ll of Galveston but at least some. Won't be going on Thursday for the supposed 2nd RX for DH but will catch up the week after. I - 45 that we have to take to get there may be jammed with peeps trying to escape/evacuate the island and beyond although Laura starts come inland tomorrow night, I think. That is so cute about SV and the litter box he thought was to clumpy for him to use !!

Just finished making a meatloaf which is in the oven now. Can eat on it for a few days but the way DH eats meat, who knows. He is truly carnivorous.!! LOL It can be eaten cold or hot if we lose our electricity. We will find out more tonight and tomorrow on the storm. DH didn't set up the generator but we can do it tomorrow morning if it gets closer to us.

Hi to SUN, BARRY, JULIE, SW, WILLOW and everyone not mentioned and all our many MIAs, Off to finish dinner.
Love,
Granni :)

Willow77

Hi All,

Today is a lazy sleepy day. I got 7 hours sleep but it seemed like I was dreaming all night long. I am usually sleepy after that.

I cut out several masks. I seem to lose them all the time and can't find the particular one I want. I have some stuffed in purses and the glove box etc so I always have one handy. If I forget to wear one at Moms apartment complex I can get banned so I always try to make sure there that I don't forget to have one. I guess when the mask mandate first came out to many people were ignoring it so now it is posted at all the gates and residents have gotten at least 3 notices to remind them that all seniors live here and they need to wear masks to protect the residents.

I got out some Christmas fabric to make a few masks. Mom chose a Campbell soup one with children sledding. I think I will make myself one with multicolor snowflakes on a black background. Gray already has 3 masks and he keeps better track of his so I probably won't make him another one. Mom only has one so I need to make her at least two more. She picked out a vegetable print for her other one.

Nothing new here. Still hot, it is supposed to be just over 100 today. Typical August. The weather men in LA have cute things they call the months. It is May Gray, June Gloom, and July Fry. They don't have one for August. I love May Gray and June Gloom. They are talking about the marine layer in the morning that burns off or breaks up by 10 am usually. It keeps our mornings nice and cool. It will be hotter later in the week with heat advisories through Fri night. Our air quality is really good today. The closest fire to me is over 20 miles away and burning away from us. When it first started we could see it burning up the mountain side but it is already up over that mountain and burning into the next county. I lost everything in a fire when I was 19 and living in a dormitory owned by the church that I was attending in Detroit.

Mom came over on Sunday and we had a nice linner and then took naps. After getting up I washed her hair and blow dried it. She gets bad sinus if her hair isn't dried right away and her hair dryer is very old and doesn't have much power. It is just easier for me to do it in my kitchen sink. I enjoy styling it anyway.

Mom 2020 August.jpg

Mom says this is the longest she has had her hair since she was 17. Hair salons are open if they cut hair outside but we talked and decided it wasn't worth the risk for her to get it cut until the pandemic is over. I trimmed about 1/2 an inch off of my own hair. It was getting pretty shaggy on the ends. My hair a few years ago was long enough for me to sit on it but I got it cut to just above my waist when Bear got married. I don't intend to ever let it get that long again. I would like it to be just below my shoulders when it is safe to go back to the salon. Moms hair is so fine that I had to get her some clips that are used on children's hair. Regular barrettes would just slide right off her hair. Fortunately I had almost a whole package of them that I wasn't using. I gave her the black and white ones and kept the brown ones that I was using. I love that we have so many things that we can share. I gave her a hair brush that would be good for blow drying. It was too scratchy for me but works well for her.

The neighbors cat came over for a visit this morning while I was repotting a seedling for a moringa tree. It is not doing well outside in the heat. I will probably need to bring them in until it cools off. I hope I didn't kill it. It looks pretty wilted. Kitty followed me inside but only stayed for a minute. She prefers to be outdoors.

I need to either take a nap or get up and do something. I think the nap will win for today.

Love to all,

Willow

sunflowergirl

Willow. Sew a ribbon or something else onto your mask so that when you take it off it hangs around your neck and you won’t lose it. I can’t stand wearing a mask so as soon as I get into my car I rip it off.

Your mom is cute! Why don’t YOU cut her hair....layer it and it will be easy and cool for her. If you’re a handy person with sewing and other things, cutting hair isn’t hard to do. Just pick a few pictures for her to choose from. I learned to cut hair when my boys were little, then graduated to my DHs hair and also with mine, easy peasy. I also cut my mom’s hair for at least 5 years. I haven’t been to get my hair cut in over 40 years.. Sometimes it takes a couple of cuttings until I’ve got it right but it gets done. Speaking of hair, I saw my neighbor across the street as he drove away. OMG, a little longer and he could have a small ponytail. He’s around 77. And yes, Barry, I like men with ponytails but NOT him!

Willow77

Hi Sun,

I have cut Gray's hair since 1981. I only know 1 style. I tried trimming buddy's hair but totally messed it up and he had to get it redone. Buddy had very long, thick, gorgeous blond hair. It was almost down to his waist. He ended up eventually getting a mullet and then having to get it cut short to work at Target. I wish my hair was like his. He hates how thick it is. Now he mostly wears it in a buzz cut with a big red bushy beard.

I don't want to cut Mom's hair, she is very picky. She only wants a chin length bob. She has very straight, thin hair. She cuts her own bangs as do I. Mine is almost down to my waist again and is driving me crazy. It is curly and frizzy and unmanageable. She did ask me to cut her hair as it was always getting in her face but she is happy now with the little clips I gave her and looks so cute with her hair longer.

Bear used to cut his own hair with clippers when he was a teen. My sister and I were both red heads and Bear and Buddy both have some red in their hair although they were blondies when they were young. Kay wants red headed little boys. No new news on the baby front. They both want kids really bad. Kay is a type 1 diabetic but very healthy so hopefully that won't cause any problems.

I am trying to find something good on Netflix or Prime, so far not having any luck. We saw Susie's Hope a few days ago, it was pretty good.

Good idea about the ribbon for my masks. I have a basket full of ribbons.

Willow