PORCH 1217 IS NOW CLOSED (8/24/20) | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1217 IS NOW CLOSED (8/24/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

sunflowergirl

So now I see....your mom wore it in a bob back in the 40s when she was young and still wants it like that now. Oh well, it’s her hair.

I had 3 kids, all different. Redhead, blond, and brunette, earth, wind, fire, small, medium large.When they were young and I would go someplace where people didn’t know them, they asked...all from the same father? yep. I’ve done my normally medium brown hair red from late teens, but lots of redheads in my family and my DHs family. My DGS is a redhead, my DGD is a strawberry blond, my DD is red, my DH was strawberry blond. And on my SILs family his sister and niece are strawberry blond and the other niece bright red. So, she ended up marrying a guy with red hair also. Bet when they have a child it will have red hair. A few years ago we all went to a musical play, all these redheads of varying shades sitting there. Several people came up to us during intermission and remarked on all the red hair. I have cousins with auburn hair too, as was my grandfather.

lydia1

Oh my goodness...I don't know where the day and evening has gone. Started to post several hours ago and Amy called. Den and I have both been hard at it all day; he got his new water pump going and has been using well water to get the new trenches hosed down so the dirt will settle. I've been working at the old farmhouse...throwing away anything I can. I fill up the Gator and trailer, then Den empties it for me. We have decided to clean the house up and use it as another outbuilding, to store mowers, etc. Once we get it stripped as far as possible, we'll use a fogger to mist a mold killer/preventer. And we have ways to keep air circulating throughout the building so it should be safe enough for outdoor tools, etc.

Supper was "Honey, I'll put your choices out on the counter and you can heat up what you want while I shower", lol! Then it was time for the Convention. So, I just have time and energy for a quick "Hi" and hope everyone is doing as well as possible. My brother texted that he gets to bring his wife home from the hospital tomorrow and I am going to my local chiro tomorrow morning. Take care, everyone...I'll be back when I get a chance.

Mikie

Good Wednesday Morning, Dear Porchies,

Please read Judy's (Windblade) message about Patti (Hanginginthere). Patti is now in Hospice and Judy has asked for our prayers that she gets adequate treatment for pain. I am so heartbroken to hear this news. Patti has always brightened my days with her funny inspiring posts. Please pray for her.

I got enough sleep last night but I had to read for an hour in the middle of the night to get back to sleep. The ant man is coming this morning and I hope he gets here early. I need to go to Publix but will likely end up going about one this afternoon. I am tired.

Granni, the news now shows Laura coming ashore at Lake Charles as a Cat 3 hurricane. They say it will go inland 30 miles at that level and it is expected to do a lot of damage. Looks as though Galveston will get some of the surge, wind and rain. My kids' house is one that survived the devastating hurricane in, I think, 1909. It is on the historic register. They renovated it and rent the main house out. They made a little apartment in the basement for them when they visit. DSIL loves Galveston and goes there to relax. It has some of the same feel as New Orleans as far as music and food. The celebrate Mardi Gras too. It's smart to postpone DH's appointment.

Willow, how cute is your Mom. My own hair is very fine but I wear it in layers. It's short but not too short. I hack away at it myself and, like with Sun, it sometimes takes a time or two to get it just right. How nice to have a visiting kitty. DD has one who really doesn't have a home but visits everyone in the hood. He has quite a nice life.

Sun, for some reason, this last time I cut my hair I couldn't get it just right. I keep hacking away at it but don't want to take too much off. Right now, it needs to be colored. How nice to have so many redheads of all different shades, like a bouquet of roses. My own hair has a lot of red tones in it and I can't color it blond with any color that has 'golden' in the name. I don't like ash shades so I have to look for natural blonde colors. I'd like it to look more golden blonde but I don't dare. I don't look good as a redhead.

Julie, sounds as though you and Den are your usual busy selves, moving and cleaning and all the other things you do to get your place just as you want it. Good news about your DSIL.

DD called yesterday. DGS had his first day at school and it was overwhelming. It isn't a good system for a kid with ADD. I think a lot of kids will get left behind another year with this pandemic. She is feeling like so many of us with an overall depression and lack of lust for life. The air is terrible there and she has breathing problems. That virus in Jan. left her with more problems with her lungs. Evidently that virus has also left people with lingering problems with their hearts and lungs. Don't know whether it's gonna be permanent or not. I still have neuropathy in my legs.

Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Love, Mikie

Thank you all for prayers for Barb. Her DD wanted to thank everyone. Barb is back to the assisted living facility but is temporarily in a wheel chair. She is doing pretty well. Today is Barb's DGS's birthday so I wished him a happy one.

The Ant Man was here. He's so sweet, a gentle giant of a young guy. I hope this keeps the little buggers at bay.

Last edited:
Reactions: bct

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Can't bring myself to add to the W&P post above. I had something happen at Publix that cracked me up. Y'all who know me will likely find it funny too. I came out to my car and didn't see anyone in the car next to me. I wanted to shift a couple of things around in the bags so took my time. I handed my cart off to a bagger in the lot. A man's voice came out of the car next to me. He said, "Are you finally finished so I can go?" I felt terrible and walked up next to the open window on the passenger side to apologize. He threw it in reverse and stopped long enough to yell, "You GD Republicans are all alike--I'm so wonderful and F--- you!" Then he sped off. He was a skinny old guy smoking a cigar.

On the one hand, it was funny but on the other, it's really sad people are getting so hateful. Wonder whether my hair makes me look like a Karen. I hate to see our country devolve into this. I think so many have just gone over the edge with everything that is going on.

I'm a bit upset because I can't find what was in my pocket last time I shopped--a twenty dollar bill, the receipt, my insurance cards, the car registration and my drivers license. It's driving me nuts. I called the credit card co and had them put a lock on the card. I almost always put things in the exact same spot. I've checked the pockets in all my shorts and Capri pants. Can't imagine where this stuff is. So far, St. Anthony isn't helping. I hate to have to go get a new registration and license.

Just saw an update about the storm. Al Roker says the weather service determined the surge from this storm is not survivable. I hope everyone in harm's way gets outta there. Makes my lost stuff look like nothing, relatively speaking.

OK, gonna go eat lunch. I just had to tell y'all about my adventure at the store.

Love, Mikie

• Wow

Granniluvsu

Good afternoon y'all ! Yes, so sorry to hear about Patti. She was always praying for someone or had an inspirational something to tell when I popped in which unfortunately was not often enough. God bless her, she is a very sweet person with love for all.

MIKIE - Yes, I have been following the storm and that is the area we go to when we go to gamble which has not been much lately with one thing or another. The area is low and bad for flooding and I remember after IKE there were blue tarps on roofs everywhere. That was not even in Galveston or right on the coast. I suspect I-10 will have flooding problems . People are most likely flooding I-10 and I-45 to escapate the water and surge expected. It looks like we may not even get any rain where we are. DH was supposed to go tomorrow for his 2nd Rx but we have to take i-45 or the feeder road and guessing they might be rather jammed even if not raining in our area. Thee may be some rain but we are supposed to have partially sun and clouds tomorrow. So we might get next to nothing, which is fine with me. I do not like any of that excitement any more. They were saying on the weather channel that if they have the surge expected on the coat esp where it hits it will be unsurviveabl.e Feel so sorry for all those who have to pick up, evacuate and may never see their home again and may lose everything or almost everything. Where do they go? Thinking of GB and her situation !! So sad !! BTW, I believe it will be a Ct 4 when it hits.

That story you told us about coming out of Publix is sort of funny but more sad that some people can be so mean especially to a stranger just cause they had to wait in their car for a few minutes and the politics of it stinks ! I cannot believe some people and how and why they can be so mean for little reason.. Not going to elaborate any more but a my mom used to say - If you cannot say something nice to someone don't say anything at all ! Good advice !! Not going to elaborate any more on the story !!

Speaking of hair I have to do mine tonight. I keep putting it off cause I hate to work with it. A royal pain !!

JULIE - Happy chiro tomorrow hope he can help you. Glad your BIL brought his wife home and hope she continues to get better and better.

Gotta run and give DH the computer for his work. We''ve been busy this morning the study TV died so we took the other bigger one that had been set up for awhile and put it in the study. Looks great and picture much bigger and better. If it isn't one thing it is another.

Love to everydobby, in SUN, ROCk, WILLOW, SW et al.
Granni :)

• Love

sunflowergirl

Mikie: actually that WAS funny. Why did he assume you were a GD rep? I guess figuring all seniors MUST be.....sorry to disappoint but some of us still use our brains to decide.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Yes, we can't assume what anyone is, especially strangers unless they are wearing political clothing or carrying signs. Even then, whatever happened to being civil despite someone's having a different point of view? I worry about this more than anything. Politicians come and go but we are all Americans and should be working together as best we can. I can discuss politics without having to get upset, swear and call people names.

Joe said I should have called that guy a liberal piece of crap. That made me laugh too. I wouldn't call anyone a piece of crap and Joe doesn't feel that way about liberals but had he been there, he would likely have done it and made things worse. He told me I should be flattered to be thought of as a Republican. He is a devil!

Some of us are Independents and we sometimes vote one party and the next time another. We carefully weigh the issues and candidates. I admit it's getting more and more difficult with all the misinformation online, especially for local elections. That's why I don't use Feces Book (name courtesy of Barry) or any other online site to help me decide.

Nancy lives in a small town in MI of 7,000. A couple of her neighbors who are friends told her to hole up at home for a few days after the election because she evidently lives in an area where she isn't in the majority. Good grief! Has it come to that. The friends are afraid of riots.

Granni, each update is worse than the last. I did see that Laura will be a Cat 4 just before it hits. It will drop to a Cat 3 once it makes landfill. All this according to the weather experts' forecasts. When Irma was a Cat 5, we were told we would get 26' of flooding but not surge. By the time it veered slightly inland, it was a Cat 3. Still plenty of wind and rain. I'm gonna color my hair tomorrow. I also hate having to deal with it.

Sun, I have no idea why the guy assumed my political affiliation; he may be nuts for all I know. He was an old guy himself. Thing is I would like to have apologized for keeping him waiting. He could have tooted his horn or even yelled and asked me to move my cart and close the car door so he could leave. He may have a chip on his shoulder and is always looking for a reason to be angry. I'm sick of politics, sick of the virus, sick of the Falwells and sick of riots and police brutality. What is happening to us?

I still haven't found my things. I will wait a bit before I panic and go to the DMV. Thank goodness I still have an active passport. Found spare insurance cards.

I hope everyone has a nice evening. I plan to distract myself and get some rest.

Love, Mikie

Good news--just got invoice from the roofing co. They reduced their price by $600. We will pay it. I'm still not happy and would never hire them again but this is more than I expected.

Last edited:
  • Love

sunflowergirl

Mikie: I was at TJoes a couple of years ago and pulled in, apparently too close to the car on my passenger side. Came after about 20 min of shopping and a young guy was leaning against the pole.......said I had parked too close and he couldn’t get into his car from either side. I was mortified and apologized .......I drive a big SUV and either I park too close or too far away from the curb....has to be 18” or less or you can get a ticket. It happened to my SIL when he was bringing Savannah over for me to watch. After only 10 min at my house he came out and found a ticket, which cost him $75. Ridiculous because I’m in a very quiet residential area.

Mikie

Wow, Sun,

That's brutal to give tickets like that. The Highlander is big too, bigger than the newer versions. Big 'n boxy but it's comfortable and holds a lot. Been a good car. There are still lots of them on the road even after 18 years. DD said she saw one just like mine and it made her miss me. Awww!

News had a story about a guy in Publix in another town. He was in one checkout line and his wife in another. An elderly man behind the wife got too close and she asked him to distance which he did. On the way out, the wife told the husband about the old man. They waited for him in the parking and the husband hit the old man in the chest and knocked him down and told him he would kill him all while the wife watched. The poor old guy had had heart surgery and he hit his head when he fell. Authorities are looking for the guy and his wife who did this. They have video of them and a description of their car. Cops will likely arrest them before too long. If they are this nasty, they will have enemies who can't wait to ID them. Think is it was for no reason. The old guy did as the wife asked. just gets scarier and scarier. I think there are a lot of really angry people who now think it's okay to act like it's the Wild West out there.

I've been thinking about Patti all day. I guess the issue is making sure she can get the stronger pain meds so she can rest comfortably. I also think of GB and hope they are safely in their new home. I think about all our Dear Porchies and hope and pray for the best for everyone.

Love, Mikie

• Love

sunflowergirl

Mikie: relax as you go over in your mind when you last had all of those things. I’m assuming you don’t carry a purse? It’s easy to forget things when your mind is on other stuff. I’ve always got my purse with my little bag that contains everything, EXCEPT once when I drove to Pasadena to meet with a medical nurse when I was going thru the cancer stuff. Got to the parking garage and OMG...no purse which meant no insurance card, no $ to pay for parking, and no DL or phone with me. Was I panicked? you bet. Luckily I carry some xtra $ in the car so was able to pay the parking. I couldn’t believe my brain.

Why don’t you keep the auto license stuff in your glove compartment?

Julie: I was watching this youtube on growing your vegetables from your garden scraps! Some of these I knew but most I didn’t but thought of you since you’re going to have a garden. This video is about 30 min. to watch though but very interesting.

Last edited:

rockgor

Hi Kids, Just woke up from a nap. Going to the skin care place tomorrow so they can examine my
surgery site. I'm not having any more growths removed from my face unless the growth is the
size of a pineapple.

Mikie, just watched the news here. Full of warnings about the coming hurricane in your neighborhood, I think. But I'm sure you've been keeping an eye on the news already. God Speed.

Rock

Mikie

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

Spent last evening praying for the poor folks in the path of Laura. They all should have evacuated because anyone who stayed is likely dead. Also prayed for everyone here and our loved ones, including Patti. I hope they are able to make her comfortable. That's what Hospice is usually all about.

Sun, I'm not panicked about the things I lost. I just don't want to have to go to the DMV. Gonna search one area and it's the last place they could be. I locked down the credit card and there were no new charges on it so the biggest worry is over with that. It isn't recommended to carry the registration and insurance card in the car or any other things that thieves could use for ID theft. My car was once broken into and about $250 worth of electronics was just left. The cop told me they were looking for the registration. It wasn't in the car. I carry it when I go out. I don't want to take a purse when I go up the street to Publix because I don't want to set anything down. I just put the cards in my pocket. I remember having them but just can't figure out what I did with them when I came home. They aren't where I usually put them. I can understand why you want to take your purse when you see the doc. That must have been scary. Luckily you had some mad money in the car.

Rock, thanks for the concern. The hurricane passed by us a couple of days ago with little more than a couple of bursts of wind and a bit of rain. It came ashore during the night near Lake Charles, LA. It is closer to Granni than to me but I don't think she will get any effects from it. I hope your surgical site is healing well. Let us know how it goes.

News is showing the teenager who allegedly shot and killed two people at the protest in Kenosha, WI. He is a 17 year old kid who reportedly belongs to a militia group. These heavily armed militia groups are very scary. Many have camps where they practice war games. They carry assault weapons like the ones soldiers in the Army carry. These groups have become emboldened by people stoking the fires of fear; however, these militias have been around a long time. The last thing we need is groups of armed people fighting in the streets. This kid has ruined his life and taken the lives of two people. WI is an open carry state but this teenager is too young to be in public carrying a gun. I think open carry laws are one of the worst ideas ever. Adults who encouraged this kid should also be charged. These armed bullies threaten the peace. I pray for peace daily.

I hope we can all have a good day. It's all I can do to keep my stress levels down. Love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Mikie: thanks for that info. I didn’t know that NOW you’re not supposed to carry registration on car because of your name and address. I have the original in the house, but when it gets light I’ll go to the glove compartment and remove all the paperwork I have with my name on it.

Update on clair: she’s eating like there’s no tomorrow, but yesterday I cleaned up some throw up.....mucous which looked grey so I looked at it with my jewelers loup, and there were small black spots in it. I’ve read that it’s probably the intestinal track. There’s no way I could attempt to give her a pill for antibiotics. She won’t even let me pick her up to sit on my lap....never has. So I’ll just take care of her until she’s no more.

Rock: was it a large place that the doc cut out on your face? Hope it’s healing good. My DD had a big growth cut out of her leg years ago, big scar. At first they said it was cancer, then months later another doc looked at the report and said it wasn’t.

Granniluvsu

Good morning awl,

Nothing that new here and as expected we didn't get any rain. May get some tonight or tomorrow and not even sure that is from the storm either. Looks like also that the Lake Charles area was spared , at least not as bad as they thought it would be, esp storm surge wise. I haven't had the chance to check on all the damage yet but I know one young girl was killed when a tree fell on their home. I'm sure there is a lot of damage to the coastline and buildings but not as bad as they were talking about with a supposedly deadly horrible storm surge. Houston is pretty big and so doubt if my DCD got any or much. Our son who also lives in Houston took off with his wife in their travel trailer. They might have gotten some rain and wind,

Can't stay long as we have an appt for DH;'s second treatment, and we have to eat lunch early. We were ready to cancel if the weather got bad but it is pretty clear here and I spoke to the NP. None of us were sure if we would even be able to get there or if the office would be open. Thinking most people that were told to evacuate did. Luckily I don't think it was as bad as they were thought it might be.

SUN - Sorry poor Clair is getting so fragile but I know that she loves your attention even if she doesn't want to get picked up and cuddled. Just enjoy her for as long as she is with you.. Glad to here she is eating well today ! Hope it continues.

JULIE - I hope you get some help from your chiro today.

ROCK - Glad your surgery is over with and if you are lucky as my DH he had no scar at all left on his face. I'm sure all will look fine as to the healing and less scarring.

ye for now.

Love to everydobby,
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Have horrible shakiness today. I didn't feel up to coloring my hair but I did and I'm glad. It is the best color job I've had in ages despite no change in product or color. It looks really natural. Perhaps the formula has been improved. The blow out was good too. Just have to style it and spray it.

I will likely go to the DMV tomorrow to have my license and registration replaced. I don't think this stuff was stolen or the thief would have tried to use the credit card. Also, not everything I had was gone. Also, can't figure out how it could have been stolen because I had it when I came home. It's just a mystery and one I will likely figure out after I've gone through all this trouble. Oh well.

DD texted that their Galveston home got no flooding and no damage. Woo Hoo!

Granni, yes there was less flooding than originally feared but I would imagine there is a lot of damage over a very large area. The death of that 14 year old girl is heartbreaking. I feel so bad for her family. Glad none of us or our kids had damage. Prayers going up for DH's treatment.

Sun, I don't even throw away recyclable things until I have blackened out my name and address. It's horrible that we have to be so careful because of the huge risk of having our info stolen. It can happen outside of our control. Twice, medical companies here had patient info compromised, including mine. This info is sold on the dark net like we order from Amazon. I could not give SV pills if it were not for the Greenies pill pocket treats. They are pliable and wrap around the pills. They evidently are so delicious that he gobbles them down without trying to spit out the pill. They aren't expensive. Prayers that Clair feels better.

I haven't had lunch yet so better go fix something. Hope everyone is having a good day despite all the woes in this old world.

Love. Mikie

lydia1

Popped on a bit to see if there was any more news about Patti. I haven't heard from my brother since he was supposed to get his wife home from the hospital yesterday. Didn't want to bother them if they were trying to get settled in....I'm sure he will text or call when he gets a chance.

Saw the chiro yesterday and had another successful treatment...told him I have been working my body pretty hard and it wasn't likely to let up anytime soon. He just chuckled cause he knows we're trying to get stuff done...once winter hits, the outside work has to get put on "pause."

Glad the storm missed a lot of people...prayers, though, for the ones who were hit.

Saw the snarky comment (which apparently I, and others, are just supposed to ignore?) Not going to return "snarkiness with snarkiness", but I do wonder just what the GD Republicans use, if not their brains? Guess I need to be enlightened...or maybe we could just keep the crap political comments off the boards?

Gotta get back to work...so just a quick "hi".

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Woo Hoo! I found my cards and drivers license. When those two hurricanes were in the area and we were in the path of one, I packed a go bag and had put things I might need in the little zip pocket. At the time, Laura was supposed to get to us pretty fast. Then, it stayed over Hispanola and Cuba and slowed down. I completely forgot about it. When DD and I ask for St. Anthony's help to find things, we usually get a picture in our minds where the lost objects are. I kept getting a mental visual of my bedroom but it wasn't precise. I actually got some tee shirts and Capri pants that I'd left on my parson's bench sorted out while I was digging around. As I was walking out, I looked at the go bag and again asked for help. SV walked up to the bag and rubbed on it. I looked down and saw the little zipper pocket that I had forgotten about. I just called the credit card co. and got the hold removed on the card. Such a relief, not just to have found these things but also because it just defied logic to have 'lost' only some of my cards.

Granni, I thought of you. I found Capri pants that I had forgotten I had bought. All these months of that flu recycling itself has left me with such exhaustion and it has affected my memory and cognitive abilities. Anyway, I don't need any more and certainly don't need any more tee shirts. Good grief, I think these will last the rest of my life. It's like I have a new wardrobe. I am going to see whether I can find some sports bras. My friends wear them and say them are more comfortable. I'm tired of wearing black so I can go without them. I found a pair of loden green slacks but they are too long. I rolled up the pant legs and they are sooo cute. The best part of this is that I have all new clothes and didn't spend a dime on them. Well, I did once but not now. No credit card bill coming for it all.

Julie, I'm glad the chiro was able to help you. I hope you hear from your brother. Still praying for your DSIL. My neighbor called; we haven't heard from Grace for a while. There are a lot more messages for Patti. Don't overdo it.

Sun, remember when I was wondering whether I have a Karen hairdo? There was a pop-up ad at a website I was using. The caption was something about getting rid of your Karen hair style. OMG! The pic looked like my hair. The Karens I've seen in videos don't have this style. I did notice that Jane Curtain's hair is very similar to mine. Hers looks better but I think it may be a wig. I think jane Pauley wears one and I'm sure Rita Moreno wears them.

The neighbor who called broke her leg a while back and is just returning to work part time. Her leg swelled up a lot. She is a nurse and can judge that the swelling is too much. She will call her doc. Her DD surprised her DGS with a trip to Disneyworld for his BD. They had to cancel in March. She said there were almost no people there. They went from ride to ride and got right on. I think this is a great time to take advantage of some things as long as it's safe. Masks are required at the Disney parks. Movies are open here and there are no people going. Neighbor is taking other DGS to see a movie this afternoon.

Finding my things has gone a long way in lifting my depression. I kept telling myself that people in harm's way with the storm and people with injuries and illness have real problems and that my having to replace a couple of cards was no big deal. As I said though, it was the strangeness of losing them that bothered me the most. I not only asked St. Anthony for help but was asking God to help me out too. Aah, prayers answered. The Rev. Joyce Meyer has always said to pray for the little things too. She said she prayed for her pantyhose that they didn't snag. The first time I saw her, I thought she was a stand-up comedienne.

Had my lunch so all is well, at least in my tiny corner of the world. Well, as long as I don't watch the news. There is one weather system in the caribbean and two coming off the West Coast of Africa. This time of year, they head this way like a train or caravan. We look at them and say, "Is this the one?"

Love, Mikie

Last edited:
  • Love

Ellie2010

Just wanted to say hello to everyone—I was so sorry to hear about Patti—keeping her in my prayers. I hope you are all safe and taking care—very different times now. Rock, is Gordon still knitting ? Haven’t done any knitting in quite awhile and have been mostly spinning and dyeing yarn for friends who are weavers. My husband and I are both over 60 and mostly stay home with outings to the grocery store. We are still locked down here in California. Take care—Ellie (Georgia)

rockgor

hello ellie, yes i try to keep myself busy like cooking, knitting and of course my orchids. i'm currently trying my hands on knitting an eyelet shawl for my sisters. the yarn is finger weight and is knitted on a number 4 needle. slow work as for every 2 rows i knit i have to unravel a row. i seem to get mixup with the pattern and don't have the right number of stitches.....so.... oh well there's not much else to keep me busy. it's too hot out to work on the orchids. i have gotten rid of most of the catus orchids i had on the front porch, too much work for me now and like you i only go out for groceries and meds.

stay well,

gordon

Ellie2010

Hello Gordon! You are brave to do lace knitting—I never could manage it and mostly do Aran patterns. Your sisters will love the shawls. It has been very hot up here in Northern CA too—we hit 111 last week. Take care—