PORCH 1220 IS NOW CLOSED (9/8/20) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1220 IS NOW CLOSED (9/8/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

bouldersnow.jpg

Good Tuesday Morning, Kids,

Time for a new Porch already. As always, please go back to Porch 1219 to read the last posts. I thought that with record heat out West, we could use a pic of some snow. These are the flatirons in the foothills in Boulder, CO, my home town. They may look like this today. The temps dropped about 60 degrees in a 24-hour period.

Sun, 113? OMG! That's awful. News said the latest fire was started by some kind of electronic or other type of fireworks type item used at a gender reveal party. I don't understand why any kinds of things like that and campfires aren't banned in weather conditions like this. I also can't understand why anyone would go camping when there have been so many fires. Those people who were stuck inside the fire were so lucky to be rescued. It's awful too that you have that ash in the air. Definitely not good for anyone with breathing problems. When Mt. St. Helen's erupted, we had ash on our cars in CO. Hope you and all our Porchies out West can keep cool.

I got the FJ question last night at the last minute. When I did get it, I couldn't text. Kept hitting the wrong keys. Doh!! So frustrating. Nancy didn't show up. She must have been at her kids' place down the road. The tropical waves keep spinning off the West Coast of Africa one after another. They are supposed to take a turn to the north and not come here. Hope the weather people are right about this.

I'll be back later.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

windblade

Barry, Sun, Gordon and Willow, came across some ideas for respiratory health for you guys who are breathing in smoke from the fires. This writer had been in a similar situation recently in CO, and spoke of eucalyptus, wet compresses, steam, drinking much water, and camphor.
My DH puts eucalypus oil in a steamer to breathe in - he has bronchial and other respiratory problems ongoing. You all probably know about these things, but just in case. Thinking of you all, and sending blessings.
Judy

sunflowergirl

Judy: thanks for that reminder. I use a steamer at times along with a pad with eucalyptus oil on it. I also use a steroid inhaler daily. What does your DH suffer from? I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis about 5 years ago. Yes, lots of water keeps the mucous thin.......I have to keep reminding myself during the day.

Mikie: the flatirons remind me of the beautiful Grand Tetons. I really didn’t know they were such pointed mountains until we flew into Wyoming and I looked out the window. OMG....breathtaking is the word.

It’s VERy dark and overcast this morning although the temp was 70, which is nice. Don’t know if this is from smoke in the air or there might be rain coming. I sure hope so.

I sold some bits and pieces of lace yesterday to someone in China so have to get them packaged and to them PO this morning. I started a WC painting yesterday of a beach scene so might work on that today also.

Clair came to the table while I was eating, meowing and talking nonstop.....Couldn’t figure out what she wanted. So when I got done and started to get up my foot hit something under the table. She had grabbed a medium sized stuffed moose from off the guest bed and brought it. Sometimes she will grab a small stuffed lamb that used to be Shelby’s baby toy.....she knows those aren’t for her to drag around! I give her some stuffed socks that I put in catnip, but usually she just rolls on it for about a minute. She’s past the playing with a toy age.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bct

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Only 85 degrees here just before noon. The water has retreated a couple of feet from the shore of our little pond. I'm glad because we may get another soaker later today. It's a beautiful day but will get cloudier as the day goes on. Jeff, the cats' baby daddy and the pres. of our big board of directors, said he will see that the damage to our sod is repaired. Joe likely also mentioned it to him.

I shampooed my hair and I'm just sitting here letting it relax before the comb out and style. Also trying to figure out what I'd bid for the Prtce is Right showcase. I usually bid too low. I've hit the age where I have no idea how expensive everything has become. Ooh, ooh, I would have won the showcase.

Judy, nice of you to post your good advice for better breathing. BTW, my little air cleaner is running and it makes it so much nicer in here. Also, for some reason, it feels cooler when I run it. The neg. ions are good for my mood which has been especially low lately.

Sun, I've never been to the Grand Tetons but Mom and Dad were. The Rockies are young mountains, geologically speaking, so they are craggier than some of the mountains further east. There are homes right up against this backdrop but it was shot from a park. It's Chautauqua Park, part of the original CP movement. There is still a big hall, a big barn and guest cabins. Glad you got a sale. Wow! China!

Gotta make a shopping list but don't think I'll go until in the morning. I'm tired and it will be hot out. Some days, it's enough just to get my hair shampooed. Hope everybody is having a pain-free productive day with lotsa NRG.

Love, Mikie

windblade

Mikie, from the last Porch, it was so good to hear you speaking about gratefulness, and how you practiced it, and had that wonderful sacred experience! It encouraged me to focus on my own gratitude practice that very night. Just counting up good things before sleeping, or many times writing in my journal. I feel that it doesn't deny grieving or sorrows. But there is so much in our daily lives that we can just easily skip over, or we can focus, and enjoy, and marvel at, and appreciate.

SPRING, I remember when you first heard the sad news of your brother's illness, and how close you were with him. I think any place that is filled up with prayers holds that embracing energy of love. It was good that you found that quiet sanctuary just when you needed it. And thank you for your many prayers. I think they bring to us so much more than we can imagine or realize. Blessings to you and your family.

SUN, I'm so glad that you use healing plants so much, like the eucalypus. My dh has never had one diagnosis, but he has had walking pneumonia, bronchitis, and whenever he gets ill, it's all respiratory. Maybe from the years he smoked. He is 9 years older than I am, he's now 78, and I'm 69. He keeps himself in great shape doing yoga, even now having his classes online. We're also having all our shopping delivered for now.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

It's gently sprinkling out now and it looks so pretty on the pond. I can almost hear the little raindrops go plink, plink as they hit the water. This is really nice and I'll be happy if we don't get another big storm like last night. SV was out on the lanai when there was lightning that must have hit really close because the clap of thunder was instantaneous with the flash of light. Poor kitty, he jumped up and I ran to let him in. Had to tell him everything was okay. He's not normally afraid of storms but this was out of the blue, close and loud. I'm so glad our utility co. redid the power lines and transformers after Hurricane Irma. We didn't lose power. We would have before the improvements.

Judy, thank you; you are so sweet. I'm glad if my post was helpful. It was a strange experience. It was like I could see everything in it's place. I had a sense that even the suffering and sad things in life all have their place. It was like I could stop worrying about things and let God do His work. I know this intellectually but I really felt it and understood it in the moment. The feeling of peace was amazing. I have meditated but never gotten to that level before from meditation. It just kind of happened. Glad you can have things delivered. I am lucky that there is a Publix so close and I can go when it's not busy. Good for DH that he keeps himself in good shape.

I finally styled my hair. It's sooo dry but my Sjogren's has been bad so that likely splains it. My skin is dry too. Gonna slather cream on it tonight. My hair always looks better after it's slept on one night. I blow it out straight but it curls up in the back just enough to look good. I put a bit of mascara on my lashes so my eyes don't look dead.

I watched two reruns of House as I lazed. I laugh because every time they don't know what is wrong with a patient, they guess that it might be 'autoimmune.' There are a number of autoimmune conditions and they aren't the same. Good grief!

I hope all y'all have a lovely evening.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Now that a it is almost time for dinner I am popping in. Nothing exciting happening here. Had so many little things to do and didn't finish but was trying to. DH had his meeting and came home earlier than expected all excited that the hatchback was locked on the Toyota and would't open even with the automatic key. I tried it with mine and it didn't work so we had to drive down to the Toyota place to get it fixed. Of course we drove in and less than 5 minutes it was fixed. Something must have been jammed or something or just plain stuck. We tried to do something manually and with our keys and nothing worked. DUH !!! Wasted more time today.

Go have to fix out wonderful dinner today of turkey sausage and backed beans.. DH even made a salad !

MIKIE - You have some nerve having curls in your hair you have to straighten. Mine has gotten straighter over time and I wish I had some curls. LOL Not much of interest tomy on TV ost of the time but occasionally I find something. DH love his old westerns and movies. I do like some of the old sitcoms if I can find them We both do like history but he watches so many of the old ones with WW2 stories. Seems like I have seen to many of them, also documentaries about things they have found out after the war and recently.

Gotta run for now and start with dinner. DH loves to eat early. I am not in a hurry but he is..

Love to everydobby and ALL those not mentioned !

Love
Granni :)

Mikie

Hi, Granni,

Decided to stop in one more time and saw your post. My Highlander is 18 years old and there were no automatic hatches back then and it couldn't be retrofitted. It really hasn't been too big of a deal. The back deck in mine has a carpeted mat. If it gets scooted just a bit toward the hatch door, it won't shut correctly. Glad there was no big problem with yours. I am now taking the challenge to see how long I can keep mine going. With only 42,000 miles on it, it should last the duration.

I'm laughing about my nervy curls. Curly hair is a blessing and a curse. Seems to me that the only things on TV now are stupid shows like Love Island or The Bachelor. They are cheap and crass and only appeal to the lowest possible denominator in young people. The other ones I hate are the physical challenges where people get hurt. I don't get the appeal but I watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills so I guess my tastes aren't exactly refined.

Joe just called and the motors that drive our filtration system in the pool stopped working. The pool house flooded. Our pool guy wants them to dry out and then see whether they will start. If not, we have to replace them. In any case, they have to be elevated. The pool is closed.

Enjoy your evening with DH.

Love, Mikie

springwater

Mikie - awesome pic. Grandeur of nature. Yes, just what everyone needs in this heatwave. i dont think you have been using the pool lately. I think its safer not to. In the circumstances. I miss not swimming. But ive gotten busy withother things. Watching more tv for one thing. I like Josh Gates Unknown Expedition. One learns of new things. Things which used to be.

Granni - something like your car door lock happens all the time around here. Yes, infuriating when one loses so many hours to something stressful like that. I remember during DH cousin sisters wedding, her mum lost the bunch of keys to the cupboard which held money, things needed for rituals. She had to send for a locksmith.

Judy - i do think an air purifier is needed around here. The dust is horrible. I love the pungent smell of eucalyptus. it must be difficult with MCS. I am sensitive to smells. But they dont bring on any reactions. luckily. Im glad you and Mikie spoke about gratitude. i dont do enough of that.

All of you in Cal, pls stay safe. from the heat. From the fires. From covid. Lol. Handful i would say.

Hmmm, my battery is down to nothing. need to recharge my computer.

My two friends visited the other day. Wanted to drop off some home grown mangoes. DD andi went into a frenzy of cleaning before they arrived. We had readymade packaged parathas in stock. Served those. And leftover chicken.

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Hump Day Morning, Kids,

Geez, woke around 3:30 this morning and had a devil of a time going back to sleep. I finally did but only got about six hours of sleep in total, enough to function but not great. My allergies are acting up even with the air cleaner running. I need to go out to Publix but think I'll stop in to Target or Costco and pick up some TP, paper towels and tissues. TV said we may have another shortage if there is a second wave of Covid and/or regular flu. I think it's the media that causes the hoarding but they claim people are already hoarding. I don't hoard but want to ensure I have plenty on hand. Hoarders don't have a shortage but have a mentality of scarcity. I don't want to be part of the problem but don't want to run out either. Good grief!

I saw an ad on TV for Bounce dryer sheets that get rid of lint and pet hair. I've wondered for a long time why someone doesn't do that. They come in a free and clear version without the horrible scents that make me sick. I already got the ones that take out wrinkles and I like them. SV's hair is everywhere even though I brush him and have Roomba clean all the time. I like to wear black and it would be nice to have it lint and cat hair free.

Spring, always so good to see that you dropped in. Yes, I went to the pool one day and my knee started giving me fits. I think I overdid it the first time and I haven't been back since. The experts say you can't get Covid just from swimming in the water but could get it by touching things around the pool. The health dept. won't allow us to open when the water can't circulate through the filter. The capacity of our pool is 32 people but we now only allow 16. It's off season here and there are far fewer people than most of the time. I don't know what we will do when the Snowbirds return. During season, it is often full.

I've also been watching more TV and I watch a lot to begin with. I love the travel shows, nature shows (also SV's favorite), cooking shows and ones that inform about historical things I didn't know. Also love Antiques Roadshow, even the old ones. PBS now reruns the old ones but show the difference in the value of things today. Some go up, some go down and some stay the same. Native American artifacts remain valuable. I'm laughing about you and DD scurrying around cleaning up before the friends arrived. It's like a Lucy episode speeded up with fast music in the background in my imagination.

Hope everyone has a great middle of the week.

Love, Mikie

• Love

rockgor

mikie, i got the ant traps recommended, don't remember the full name but the name started with a F. the ants LOVE it. they have invaded one cabinet. the huddle around the bait and eat. now, i don't know if these are 'sugar ants' or not but what else is there to use? if all else fails i'm going to take items out and use the old fashion method, I'LL SPRAY THEM!!!! only problem with that is the lingering smell but to be free of ants would be good.

gordon

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Weather report shows a rainless period between now and this afternoon. I may postpone my foray to get groceries and paper products until tomorrow if the rain keeps up. My stomach has been really upset all morning. Geez, it's always something.

Gordon, sugar, or ghost, ants are very, very tiny. The problem with most ant traps is that the poison is too strong and kills them before they can take it back to poison the entire nest. So, they just keep coming. The traps work well for other ants. The ones I've used are the Terro Traps. For the sugar ants, I have to have our pest guy out. He has a tube of gel that uses a poison that isn't as strong. It gives the ants a chance to get back to the nest. We leave it untouched for two weeks in case some unpoisoned ants come in.

An old fashioned remedy is to pour a line of borax where the ants come in. I haven't done it but have heard people swear by it. Good luck. I hope the traps work to get rid of the ants.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Gordon: last week when my kitchen floor was covered with ants, I HAD to vacuum them up, but then put down the Terro traps. It’s the awful heat that’s bringing them up out of the ground. Are you guys getting the awful air and black skies where you live? The fire is terrible and everyone in the foothills have been put on evacuation alert. I live about a mile from the foothills but the freeway separates it from me. I hosed my patio again yesterday afternoon of all the falling ash, and also hosed the pool to make the particles sink to the bottom. Can’t really go outside without a mask on.

I’ll be back later.

rockgor

Hi Kids

Woke up several hours ago. Have been reading and trying to go back to sleep intermittently.
Watched the news this morning. Was shocked to hear that there are thousands of acres of land
that are burning not far from LA. I found out last night that a gender reveal party is not what it
sounds like. It has to do with an expected new born. Your odds are not exactly 50-50. I read years
ago that baby boys out number girls. Also read they are more fragile.

Sun, the air here seems as usual. No problem with smoke. Gordon, Don't know what the F stands for
on the ant traps. Maybe Fatal? Final. Farewell.

Mikie, I remember my Dad swearing by Borax. He walked into the kitchen when my mother was
putting some on wax paper for the ants. He knocked over the borax box and immediately started
swearing.

For music lovers there is a new song on Youtube. I believe the title is "You picked a fine time to
be a dumb ass." Not sure if the members of the band are authentic hillbillies.

Hugs, Rock

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

The skies are still sooo dark. It isn't raining but don't think I'll take a chance doing something that can wait til the morrow. I just don't feel great. I had an ocular migraine with awesome sparkling zigzags in my field of vision. It finally went away. Gonna soak my aching bones here soon.

Rock, so good to see you here. I have my own idea about the F when it comes to ants. I thought that old song was sung by a trucker, "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." I guess gender reveal parties could serve two purposes.

Sun, I'm sorry about all that ash in the air. Makes it so hard to breathe. I hope they get the fire under control soon. DSIL posted pics of the snow in the Denver area on FB. They were able to save most of the limbs on their trees. DGS is back to learning online because a kid in his primary pod posted pos. to the virus.

OK, Kids, that's all I got. As always, keeping all y'all in my prayers.

Love, Mikie

bct

Orange sky, no sun. Smokey, plants covered with ash. Freaky. Never seen the likes of this before....

Have to stay inside today, small walks for the dogs. Nearest fire to us is some 30 miles away, so far. No wind, thank heavens. And not too hot....

Just to let you know what's happening in the hood. Many roads closed, evacuation orders for some towns to the east of us, such as Alderpoint, Bell Springs, Island Mt., and so it goes.....

Sun, Willow, Rock/Gordon what's it like where you live? My world is orange sky. Very strange and eerie.

Love and Blessings to All.
Barry

sunflowergirl

Barry: I woke this morning to a very dark purple/brown sky and ash again dropping all around. Air quality is BAD so when I have gone out, I wear my heaviest mask. Make sure you have your mask on when the dogs have to go out. The sun is blotted out and looks like it’s an eclipse is going on. Very strange feeling. thankfully it’s not hot today. I hope we’re done with the awful heat.

It must be scary when roads are closed. That’s what happened when all those people had to be brought out of a camping area by helicopter.

Dealing with lots of neck/shoulder/back pains again and now headache that’s won’t quit. Not a happy camper today.

Mikie

Hi, Again, Kids,

I responded to a post on the Lyme Forum and lo and behold, it was written by a member who used the name, Lynikns, years ago. She is now WeepingSparrow, a name BTW that I love. I invited her to join us here. Barry kindly responded to her with info as well. Her DS is dealing with some kind of condition and she is asking for help. Our other moderator, Nanie46, is very knowledgeable on the issue of Lyme and the infections common to it. She will respond and I hope she can help. Don't know how many of you know her but she is so sweet and an amazing moderator.

It has been so dark and dreary that I've done nothing. My bones have hurt all day. It's sprinkling which is OK with me as long as it doesn't pour down. I needed a snack so decided to have a wee bit of Pinot Noir, some Havarti cheese and a few pistachios. Hit the spot. Just hope it doesn't rile up my acid reflux. It has helped to calm me a bit from the news of the day. Red wine is good for us and I should have a wee glass more often. If Mom were still here, we would tilt a glass every afternoon.

I don't drink expensive wine but I always get ones that my DD and I like. She and DSIL are foodies but they aren't wine snobs. We go by taste. After Mom died, I would have her best friend, Beula, over for a glass of wine and snacks or I would take a bottle over to her place. After a while, she told me that she loved me for it but she didn't like the wine I like. She asked if I would bring Mogan David or something like that--basically grape juice. Bless her heart. It wasn't that long after that her kids moved her to an Alzheimer's unit but I always think of her when I have a glass of red wine. I loved her so much and hope she and Mom are having a nice wine in Heaven.

For everyone close to the fires, I am keeping you all in my prayers. I hope the ash doesn't affect you. I also hope you are not in harm's way.

Love, Mikie

windblade

Sun, and Barry, I keep checking here to see how you're doing. Sun, so good that you're wearing a heavy mask outside, and Barry, only going out quickly for the dogs. Thinking of Willow. And glad that Rock and Gordon are okay. The skies sound so strange looking. Prayers and blessings to you guys in the midst of it all.

Granniluvsu

A quick HI to everyone,

Worked a little outside and did a few things inside that I needed to finish like my pills . Then I will need to do DH's pills for his pill boxes . I also rewrapped some chicken breast to put in the freezer from Sams the other day. Never did get to some other things I needed or wanted to do but such is life. DH has his Rx tomorrow morning instead of the afternoon ass the NP wa going to be out of pocket. We have to leave at 8:30 in the morning which will not be easy for me.

We had a little rain this afternoon but not a lot. We always miss most of it if there is any in the area.

MIKIE - Sorry about your ocular migraine and achy bones. I feel like tht most of the time. Not necessarily the ocular migraines ut I do have lots of pain in the back of my head as well as very achy everywhere. Hope the soak helps you. I am also so sore and haven't done much physically to start it all up.

SUN - Sorry about all the ash ad fires in your area. That has got to be scary besides all the ash and all. Hope you get to feeling better soon too. Seems like one thing or another for all of us.. Yes, your neck and shoulders and back is awful and its almost always there for me too.. Hope you feel better soon . Yes, were a mask outside if you have breathing or lung issues..

Love to awl inc ROCK/GORDON, WILLOW, JULIE, SW,and everydobby else I can not think of at the moment. Gotta fun !

Granni