PORCH 1221 IS NOW CLOSED (9/14/20) | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1221 IS NOW CLOSED (9/14/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

Granniluvsu

Good afternoon dear Porchies,

I need to rush as DH will be needing the computer soon I did a bunch of wash and stuff today and bought anew blanket and so it was in the washer and needs to dry now. It says to dry on low so I am will be busy trying to check on the dryness.

SPRING - All is OK here I guess nothing that exiting or new. I haven't been on as I was either busy or when I checked the Porch you were in the midst of Rock's story.. Sorry you all but I am not a writer and I didn't know what to write to add to the story. It sounded kind of interesting and spooky though !!

MIKIE - I hope your tummy feels better after you ate that lunch that somehow didn't agree with you somehow.

Hugz to WILLOW, SUN, ROCK, GORDON BARRY, JULIE etc.

Tomorrow DH and I go to the Urologist again for the 4th of the 6th Rx. So far he ha not had any problems or side effects. Oh, we went yesterday to get our flu shots. Just a sore arm for a bit yesterday. Much better today.

Love to everyone,
Granni :)

sunflowergirl

Granni: your DH is lucky he’s not having any side effects. My friend’s DH didn’t either but then I got a different chemo since the one DH is getting was in giant shortage at the time. I’m debating about when to get the flu shot....I always have side effects from it.

And gang.....as to the story, I’m just not a science fiction fan so my brain doesn’t run along those lines.

I’ve done a lot of errands today, I hate having to wear a mask everywhere. Hit the PO and Sprouts first for more oatmeal before I could make my breakfast bars and I needed my DMV renewal, stood in line outside for about 10 min. then I was told I also needed a smog inspection. Rats.....that’s what comes from not reading my form. So had to scurry to an inspection place, then $65 later went back to AAA and that ran $150 for my sticker. I’m running low on kitty litter and had hoped to get it at Target next to AAA but it was already too long a day and too hot, so will try again tomorrow.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just checking in. Nothing going on. Thank God my mouth isn't as dry. I'm not quite as exhausted either. Things could be worser--I could be like that all the time.

Sun, I thought the succulent trees were cute too. Glad you like them and they inspired you. I love succulents more and more. The first one I ever saw when I was pretty little was a hen and chicks. Looove figs. Publix had a BOGO on them but I didn't get there in time. I don't shop until I have to. So nice your DGD got that painting. She's lucky to have such a talented grandma. Sorry for the hassle at DMV. Why don't we do a different kind of story next time? Think about what you would like to do.

Granni, I think the avocado was just too rich on top of the other things in my sandwich. It tasted so good but afterward, I felt stuffed and sick. When I was combing through some things in my BR, I found a fluffy cover that I had forgot I bought. It's like having a new blanket. Woo Hoo! I love to wrap up in those soft fuzzy blankets when I'm cold. Will be praying that DH's treatment goes as well as the others.

I'm off to read for a while and, if I fall asleep, so much the better. Gonna climb in bed. Hope all y'all have a lovely evening. The shadows grow long earlier these day.

Love, Mikie

windblade

Hi everyone, having a bed-ridden day today. Dizzy and off-balance combined with no NRG. I'm going to have to take a break from watching the news. Lately, it's triggered off ptsd, which I can feel flooding my body. Too many personal and national things to take in all at once. The high-stress has given me some physical symptoms that I haven't had in years.

So, I'm curled up with a delicious cup of hot ginger tea. And reading a mystery that takes place on the Navajo nation. It's written by Ann Hillerman, who continued the series, after her father had written around 20 books with the same characters. Kind of an unusual thing.

Sun, I am enjoying the Story game. It's really fun, and nothing that I've ever done before. It's interesting how all these ideas just pop out.

Sending blessings to everyone!

sunflowergirl

Judy: It’s a good thing to nurture yourself. I agree.....these last couple of weeks are highly stressful with the news. A couple of days ago I had been finding I was sooooo angry, not good. Then yesterday I was listening to a pastor while doing my morning stretches and he talked about 3 things that take us out of the will of God.....ANGER, ENVY, JEALOSY. WELL, that anger hit close to me, so I’m trying not to listen to the news that much.

I’ve been reading a light hearted book, “The irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop and Cafe”. James Patterson gave his thumbs up recommendation on the cover. “If you liked the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society you will devour this book”. Well I loved the Guernsey book....even the movie. This blueberry book is sweet, and lighthearted but not in the same category. But I’m enjoying it anyway.

And yes, it’s strange how people or events will suddenly appear out of nowhere when you’re writing. And.....do a feel on your neck and shoulders and see if you find any tight areas or little spots that are very painful. I find those when I’m suddenly feeling dizzy or discombuperated.

Mikie

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

I can identify with stress caused by everything that is going on. The day I had tachycardia, I had been upset by something I had seen on the news. My knee was killing me and that likely was also a contributing factor. I felt angry. I decided I couldn't let myself keep going like that. Our emotions really do affect our health. There are just so many awful things coming together that it can feel overwhelming. I think we each just have to find a way to deal with it. I find praying helps.

Judy, I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy. Hope you feel better soon. You are curled up with a cup of tea and a good book--one of my favorite ways to distract myself from things that upset me or when I feel sick.

Sun, I was thinking perhaps our next story could feature friendships and beautiful places. Spring is so good at describing friendly warm places. I had heard of one of those books you mentioned but not the other. Think it's time I read something more lighthearted. Right now I'm reading The Haunting of H. G. Wells. I haven't decided whether or not I like it.

I haven't worn jewelry in ages. There is a female reporter on TV who is wearing a beautiful silver necklace and it is mesmerizing. For years I wore only gold or gold tone but now I really appreciate silver. I wore some small silver hoops to the store and, when I tried to remove my mask, the elastic got all tangled up in them. So, they have been riding around in the ashtray of my car. Doh!!

Not much else to tell. Hope everyone has a great day or as good as is possible under the circumstances.

Love, Mikie

I've been doing laundry and a few small jobs around the condo. Roomba is cleaning the carpets. I decided to put some of my new paper towels in the plastic bins on the shelves above my W&D. Somehow, when I pulled one out, it caused a bin full of car cleaning products to fall on the floor. One of the spray bottles leaked liquid on the tiles. A can of hard car wax broke, leaving chunks of it all over in the liquid. SV got excited and wanted to run over to check it out. I don't think chemicals for cleaning and waxing cars is healthy for cats so I yelled at him. He left but came back as I was trying to clean it up. At the same time, my nose started to water as I was furiously cleaning it up. Y'all can imagine the choice swear words coming out of my mouth. I'm going to hell! On top of that, my back started to kill me and I had to just keep going to get it cleaned up--my little biohazard spill. This is why I hate to clean.

Sun, I just downloaded the Guernsey book on sale for the Kindle. It looks good. The other one appears to be the same boilerplate of chick lit out there where a successful woman leaves the big city for some picturesque place and finds love with a down-to-earth guy. There is nothing wrong with these stories but they are all alike after a while. Reading my current book isn't going fast. I still don't know whether I like it. I may go straight to the new one. I need something lighthearted after this morning's cleaning fiasco.

Last edited:

springwater

Got up early today and since it was overcast and cool, took the opportunity to walk to the Supermarket. i bought fruit, tofu, some readymade foods so if all of a sudden, ennui struck me, we would have something other than Ramen or bread to eat.

The other day i got adventurous and bought fresh lettuce to make chicken salad. But as often happens, some other chores popped up, i ran out of energy and the lettuce lay there untouched. DD saw it in the evening and used it to make sandwich with tomatoes and cheese, and finished it in two sittings. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than averting spoilage of produce.

Granni - well, i got a little stumped at the story thread because my brain is a little rusty and i havent thought about or read fantastic fiction for a while. Although i love movies on those lines. They show Narnia, The Lion, The witch, The wardrobe all the time on tv. Harry Potter too.

Mikie - ack. Spilling chemicals is the worst. Poor you. I guess SV was looking for some excitement. My pooches are always looking for something to poke their noses into. One even routinely goes into the bathroom and sniffs the buckets, the trash bin, if im handwashing something, he will come and sniff at it.

Yesterday they chased a cat up a tree. What a ruckus. Cat had come to hunt birds who were eating what was left of mangoes in the tree. This year they have not been good, very few and split open before ripening. A few good ones the birds got them. Birds were twittering because of cat. Dogs barking. Cat looking balefully down.

My first personal piece of jewelry was a little silver heart slung on a thin silver chain. The heart was plain and shiny. I would wear that necklace now if i had it.

Sun - if one finds tight spots in the shoulders or other body parts, what does one do? any particular method of undoing knots, tight areas?

Willow - well, yes. The tea shoppe i described is a place similar to what i have come across on my many restaurant, cafe sojourns before lockdown happened. i walk all over town, get famished and try out an eatery in the area i am in. The city is dotted with restaurants, with cuisine from every country because our main source of income is tourism. The westerners crave pie and cheesecake and steak.

With lockdown, most places have closed temporarily. Lots have shut shop. Its terrible.

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Mikie: that’s the usual scenario.....brilliant successful, beautiful, engaged woman goes off someplace and meets a hunk who is usually a carpenter or along those lines. Fights with him, but ultimately succumbs to his charms and dumps her fiancé, and marries the carpenter. When did this story line start anyway? I think you will enjoy Guernsey story. The actress who starred in it was the one who played Cinderella and also in Downton Abby....Rose.

Spring: out in the US most of us buy too much because we have big refrigerators to store things, then we’ve bought too much and things spoil. In a way, you’re lucky you have to shop daily. I stopped at 99cent store yesterday, first time in almost 6 mos. They have a lot of good produce...99 cents....what a bargain. So I bought and bought now I have to figure what to do with it all in the frig. So need to clean it out today. I bought a bag of 6 HUGE red peppers and one green one for only $1.99. They were beautiful but.....I don’t need that many red peppers so I think I will roast some today and drizzle with balsamic and keep it in the frig.

Bad night of sleeping so I’m feeling wiped out this morning.

Granniluvsu

Hi there Dear Porchies,

Have a few minutes before lunch and when we get back it might be to late to start another post with having to get dinner started or at least thought about. Just got finished writing an email to a friend whose DH is currently at hospice at home with Alzheimers.. He used to be in the K of C with DH as they both got older have been doing less with the Knights. Then he became ill, very confused and hadn't been going anywhere. It happened rather quickly for him and he appears to be in bad shape. Haven't spoken to her in some time so wrote her an email of K of C goings on and people she knew who have passed recently. I asked about how they. he was doing. I know he certainly is not in very good shape right now. Some time ago he hadn't been doing any talking which is surely not good. So sad !!! I know she has some kind of help coming in which is good for her and both of them.

SPRING - Most of my readings somehow seems to be more on the non fiction side , also DH's. It usually autobiographies, biographies, history ( a little different than DH who love all wars, esp WW2). So I guess I do not have a whole lot of imagination and my brain doesn't want to have to work hard enough to make up something. So many of you on here seem to have lots of imagination for writing books, or short stories and I will read them but don't ask me to write any.o_O he he

SUN - So sorry so many places have closed down in your area. Hope things get back to some kind of normal sooner rather than later. Hope you start to feel better soon too. So many I know are probably even more stressed than normal between the fires, lock down/virus, rioting, etc,/ which does not help our normal or abnormal medical problems..

JUDY - Hope you get to feeling better soon. I have that a feeling a lot but still have to be up and at em as they say, for one thing or another.

MIKIE - Sorry about the avocado upsetting your tummy. They are usually so good for you but sometimes maybe not mixed with something else. I usually put a little in my morning smoothie if I have any. I do not add much , just a small amount. It is good fat for one thing. I hope you like your new books.

JULIE - Hope you are doing OK with all you have to do each day. Drop in when you can.

Love,

Gotta run now and fix my lunch before we go. Hugz to awl inc those not mentioned !

sunflowergirl

Spring: in answer to your question about trigger points, it depends on where the location of it is. If I have tightness and some spots of pain around my neck/shoulders, I squeeze the spot between 2 fingers. They usually develop on the tendons or muscles. I read in my trigger point therapy workbook not to be afraid to do this....it hurts like (*&^%$# but you only do this for about a minute....Then do it again maybe a few hours later. By the next day most are gone. If there are spots on my back/shoulders you rub and push down on them to loose up the trigger points. I also have two tennis balls tied in a sock, which I hang down my back and push with the ball where it hurts. I’ve also used these balls on my low back....just not pushing on your spine ever. A PT guy showed me the trick with the tennis balls. Tie one in with a knot, then add the 2nd one and tie a knot again.

Trigger points on the areas around the neck and shoulders can cause bad dizzies and pain and stiffness. That’s why I try to check off and on all day for these spots. And from what I’ve read is that once your body starts developing trigger points it’s an ongoing battle with them.

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

I've settled down and now find my little episode a bit funny. It was the itchy runny nose that was the last straw. SV went out so I didn't have to worry about him while I finished washing the floor and leaving it to dry. On a positive note, I did clean old products out of that bin. It's on the top shelf because I so seldom need to get into it. SV is back inside and I'm resting. The laundry is done and I can finish putting away the paper products. I need to wash the slipcover for the sofa but that's a big job so it will have to wait. My It's A 10 is sposda arrive tomorrow in time to use it the next time I wash my hair. The new Bounce dryer sheets that help remove lint and animal hair will get here Sat. or Sun.

Sat is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. Happy New Year to our Jewish friends. There is a new moon which coincides with the Jewish High Holy Days. Both usher in a time of reflection, atonement and desire to do better in the future. The new moon is a good time for making changes that affect the future. Also read that astrolgical movement is favorable for making big changes that will affect the world for years to come. It's a time for correcting past mistakes.

On another positive note, lots of animals have been rescued from the fires. A guy about my age has a nice big personal airplane and he flies the animals to where they can be cared for until their people are located. On the side of his plane, it reads, "Dog Is My Copilot." The news showed kitties and dogies with their feet and legs bandaged from their burns. All were expected to survive. No one knows how they managed to survive where everything was burned. The news showed a woman who had rescued a dog that had no damage. There is a website where people can see the animals. They can go get them or the charities will care for them until the people can take them back. It brought tears to my eyes. Besides dogs and cats, they rescued goats, chickens and horses.

Experts are saying that things need to be done to stop these fires. First and foremost, we need to turn down our carbon footprint and do it fast. There needs to be better forest management with select cutting and controlled fires. That will require the feds to cough up money because most of the forested land is federally owned. Finally, people have to stop moving into forested areas.

Spring, I'm laughing about the dogs after the cat who is after the birds. Good grief! It's a three-ring circus. Our critters love to get in the middle of whatever we are doing. Normally, I don't mind but I don't want a sick cat. After a traffic accident where I had myofacial damage with trigger points, I had PT where those points were broken down. A massage therapist would press on those tender spots and tell me to breathe deeply. I could feel the release almost instantly. When I have sore spots on my shoulders or neck, I press on them and do the deep breaths. It really helps. Isn't it nice to lay in a few extra things in case we don't feel up to cooking!

Sun, I didn't realize the Guernsey story was also a movie. I loved Rose in DA. At least, these new romance stories don't feature helpless women who need men to rescue them. The women are all smart and capable. I enjoyed Beantown Girls and Nurses of Pearl Harbor because these women went to the front to help with WWII. It was ancillary duty but they were brave and interesting women. I'm so glad I love to read. What would I have done all these years without it? Books transform our environment to the most amazing times and places. Hope you and all our Porchies out West are staying out of the smoke. Wish our Dollar Tree had produce.

Granni, how sad for your friend with her DH. I'll bet it was nice for her to find out what is going on with all the K of C gang even if it is sad news. She probably needs to feel connected and not isolated dealing with her DH's needs. Yes, avocados are so good for us and I have never had one upset my stomach before. I like guacamole with Mexican food so figured it would go well on the spicy turkey sandwich. Just think it was too much. There is a new low pressure system down near Mexico and may spin up toward TX. I hope not.

I will be going back to finish stowing the paper goods as soon as my noon news shows are over. I might as well clean out the bin with household cleaning products. Then, the shelves will be cleaned out and done. A little here and a little there eventually gets the job done. Then, it's time to start all over again. Woe is me, as my Mom used to say.

Hope y'all are having a good one.

Love, Mikie

windblade

Hi everyone, I just got a new pair of headphones today. Even listening on my tablet, the sound quality is so good. Can hear every instrument, and layers of voices. Have been listening to music from the 60's and 70's. Amazing what good feelings it brings.

Today listening to the Righteous Brothers, Linda Rondstadt, Smoky Robinson, and Simon and Garfunkle.

What were your favorite 'growing up' singers, that bring back good memories? Or contemporary music?

Love, Judy

sunflowergirl

I had to go to Target first thing to get two big boxes of kitty litter....each weighs 29 lbs. so it has to stay in my van until monday when my gardener comes over. And they had cottonelle double ply so what the heck.....I’ve now got enough TP to leave it all in my will!

Then I went to Michaels and bought a small fortune of silk flowers. Eeegads, it’s been ages and it sure is expensive even with 40% off. Trying to change the look of my LR. I talked to my DGD today. She wanted to know if she was still going to spend the weekend, so I’ll pick her up tomorrow afternoon. I’m sure we’ll make pasta again and I thought I would show her how to make chicken parmesan to go along with the pasta. Sprouts had a spaghetti sauce on sale yesterday......Lydia’s Marinara sauce. She’s the one who has a cooking program for years, so it better be good!

Here’s something that will bring a smile to your face. My DS sent it to me today.

Hi Judy: I see you just posted. What’s the brand you bought? Of course with music I started loving Elvis. I’m surprised I didn’t drive my dad crazy with my continual playing of “All shook up”. That can still get me moving. And I love all the oldies that come on the PBS drives. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago I discovered Fleetwood Mac. Where was I when they were popular? Oh yes, involved with family and kids. Yes, Simon and Garfunkel. In fact I have two CDs of Paul Simon and love them. Great to listen while walking. And the Beachboys, since I live in so. calif.

Last edited:

Granniluvsu

JUDY - Can't stay on here but wondering what brand of headphones you got you got for your tablet.? Same as Sun??? Are they small ear buds or much larger ear phones. Those ear buds fall right out of my ears and drive me nuts.

I need to go finish up dinner but thought I would pop in here for a minute to see if anyone has posted !See you later alligators !!

Love,

windblade

Granni, I can't wear those earbuds either - they fall right out. This brand is Avantree, in the mid-range price. They sound terrific to me, but probably others in that range could to. I've had so many pairs, but they keep breaking, maybe from using too much?

I'm going to use this pair for music only, and use the pair that only has sound in one ear, because that's clear enough for talk on videos.

I remember that you loved singing... and dancing too? What is your favorite kinds of music?

BARRY, you gave me a good laugh on your addition to the Story.

WILLOW, I love hearing your stories about your Mom. It sounds like such a beautiful and close relationship.

SUN, Elvis Presley was a little bit before my time. The fun thing is that there are his early videos on youtube from The Ed Sullivan Show, when he was so young and playful, and still sounds so good!

The Beatles were my first troubadors. My best friend and I, when we were 13-14 bought tickets to see them at Shea Stadium. I remember our sky-high excitement waiting for the bus to come to take us to NYC to see them. What a great experience- the only problem was we could hardly hear them, there was so much screaming! It wasn't until recently that I saw a video of them singing there, over 50 years later. Finally heard it. But it was a great adventure to have.

• Love
Reactions: bct

windblade

SPRING, I've just been learning about EMF's in the past year, and have a lot to learn. Do you turn off your router at night? And what do you unplug?

So far, I learned to put my tablet in airplane mode when not using, or reading - my whole e-library can be read without wi-fi.
I put 1 landline out of our bedroom. And bought a cage to put over the router, since they can use more power than is needed.

I know there is much more to learn. There is a webinar I am going to listen to this week.

ROCK AND GORDON, I hope the assault of the ants is lessening for you. And that Gordon's orchids and other plants are thriving. I loved how you gave out the tomatoes that you grew. And Rock, hope you have many good books to read.

MIKIE, glad you're feeling a bit better, was able to laugh at yourself. That made me chuckle. Sounded like a slapstick routine. And that you had a good visit yesterday with your neighbor.
Blessings to everyone

sunflowergirl

Judy: I forgot the Beatles. Lucky you to get to see them. I was in college when they hit the scene. OMG.....how I loved them. My favorite was George and Paul. Then when they went into the maharishi phase, I left them. And I almost forgot, I love Billy Joel. My DD took me to see him at the Staples Center, about 10 years ago. They always got tickets to see whoever because they owned an Arco station and the gas station owners got the tickets. That was one of the highlights of my life! Sitting in the private box in comfort.

I agree.....Barry the rebel! His additions to the story have brought a big laugh out of me.

windblade

Sun, that is so cool that your dd got so many tickets for concerts! I love thinking back on great times like those, and treasuring them. A really good concert on youtube is ' A Concert for George' in Albert Hall, put on in tribute to him a year after he died. Paul McCartney, Ringo, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston.Many more musicians, all playing together. So excellent and heartfelt.

MIKIE, my dh just told me he has started reading a good book on quantum physics by Lothar Schafer. The title: 'In Search of Divine Reality, Science as a Source of Inspiration.'

• Love

rockgor

sun, i'm trying to download ebooks from the library that is on the epub format and the kindle can't seem to work with them. is there another machine i should get - name, please. it seems the library has to buy 'license' for ebooks in different formats and they seem to have more of them on the epub format.

any help would be appreciated.

gordon

sunflowergirl

Gordon: sorry, I can’t help you there. I’m assuming this is so Rock can read books? What condition is your computer in including your old computer? If they’re still limping along I suggest you talk to the library about this. My DH did all the downloading onto our old computer so it’s all greek to me.

another thought. Did you buy a Geek Squad membership? If you did, then you can talk to them about this. And if you did, you are entitled to bring in all your computers to let them look at them.