PORCH 1272 IS NOW OPEN (7/21/21) | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1272 IS NOW OPEN (7/21/21)

ProHealth CBD Store

Mikie

moon.jpg

Good Hump Day Morning Kids,

As always, please go back to read the final posts on the last Porch. Sun posted a music video, Willow posted a nice newsy update and Spring posted a pic of food that will make you drool. We will have a full moon in a couple of day so thought I'd post this pic of the moon and the heavens. I have always been entranced by the moon. It's so mysterious and beautiful. I always feel better when it's full and I can feel my NRG amping up a little already. So glad I got that little closet cleaned out. Feels good to make even small progress.

Sun, hearing that song instantly takes me back to my yute, dancing to it with my ex at the old Timber Tavern in Boulder. We were usually with our friends, drinking pitchers of 3.2 beer. That song stayed on the juke box for years and people would play it several times a night. I dated a guy after my divorce who had been in the USAF. He said they would march at his base. One time they had a nightime march and they played that song on the loud speaker. He always though about that when he heard it. Doesn't seem like a marching tune to me though. Yes, Richard Egan. He wasn't handsome in the traditional sense but he was kind of a hunk. Dorothy McGuire was so pretty. The woman who played the mean Mom went on to work on a soap. Hope you can get that bump on your eye taken care of. Also hope it isn't serious. I actually save money using my Cuisinart Kuerig machine because I only drink one cup in the morning. I don't have to make a whole pot and end up drinking too much or throwing some out. I know I could make a small pot but I also love the convenience. The pots come with a plastic insert so ground coffee can be used in lieu of the pods. It makes hot water too for tea and cocoa. If we had landfill here, I wouldn't use the pods or I'd use the ones that decompose like the San Francisco pods Claudia gave me. I get my pods at Costco and they are inexpensive and their brand uses only coffee grown sustainably where the profits go to help the people where it's grown. Let us know what the doc says about the bump.

Spring, that dish look delicious. Mmmm! Glad your weather is pleasant. Always good to see you here. Hope you can stop back to let us know what is going on in your neck of the woods.

Willow, I'll check out the Coffee Tamer. With my acid reflux, it might really help. I'm sorry you've been so sick. I hope you can catch up with all the appts. without making yourself exhausted and sick. We really have to walk tightropes. I'm so much better than I was twenty years ago but I still don't have a lot of NRG. Really have to pace myself. I hope your pain classes help you. I'm laughing about your Ziggy. The name cracks me up. I thought my Roomba had died. It was docked but battery was dead. Turns out I had moved the base and the plug came loose. So, I couldn't run it yesterday but will today when I get home from the pool. SV's fur is coming out in clumps. It always looks as though he's losing his stuffing. My glasses have a tint to keep out the blue light so I can read on my Kindle when I go to bed. Glad I got that tint along with the one that keeps out the UV now that I have AMD. The supps for that are also sposda make the brain work better but you couldn't prove it by me. Doh!! Take care and let us know how the pain classes are working.

The A/C is running already even though it's only 77 degrees outside. I'm actually cold. It runs all afternoon these days and I end up throwing my fuzzy robe on over my clothes to keep warm. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Mikie: interesting pic you put up. Love the splash of orange with the dark blues. What is 3.2 beer? Light beer? Yes, I’m sure that song brought up lots of memories, good for the most part until your DH blew it all apart

I’ve been doing lots of reading on the coffee tamer, egg shells in the coffee and adding coconut oil. Here’s a link to all of it. Everyone who finds that the acid in the coffee causes problems will get a lot out of this site. And thanks to Willow for telling us about it. I’m up EARLY with pain, drank a little leftover coffee rather than tylenol, so going back to bed to try to catch more sleep. By the way, Mr. Coffee allows me to brew only 1 cup if I want to or even more. Sometimes when I need coffee and don’t have the leftover in the frig, I will brew only 1 cup with no problem. When you NEED the caffeine you NEED it!

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Back from the pool. I was tired and in pain but as soon as I started moving in the water, I was glad I went over. The water was like a warm bath. Barb says she needs a day of rest so she isn't going over tomorrow. I don't think I will either. I'm exhausted. She has an old car too and we were cracking up talking about praying, crossing our fingers and blessing ourselves before we start our cars. I told her I have Saint Christopher on speed dial. Gonna wait til tomorrow to wash my hair.

Willow, thanks so much for telling us about Coffee Tamer.

Sun, thank you so much for the info on it and on acid in coffee. It's great that it can be added to other acidic foods. Granni might also be interested in it due to her bladder problems. I like a dark brew and put milk in it and that may be why I tolerate my coffee so well. It's the caffeine that wires me up that is a problem. If I have more than one cup, I switch to decaf. Costco brand decaf is even better but I need that jolt of caffeine to get going in the morning. It would be nice to get rid of the acid in my other food. Very interesting info in that article. I'm glad we both have coffee machines that match our needs so well. There is one that will brew from both the pods and make a whole pot. Years ago, I had an espresso coffee machine that would foam milk. Our lives revolve around our coffee needs but you're right--when you need it, you need it. Three-two beer is the original low alcohol beer and was legal to drink at age 18. Of course, we just drank more of it and got blitzed. Stupid kids!

I read our newspaper before I went to the pool. I'm gonna read USA Today that is free with my local paper. A lot of the info is redundant but sometimes there is additional material in national news. Local TV news broadcasts have vital info for living here but it has been dumbed down and some of the reporters can't pronounce even familiar words. The other day one was talking about the outbreak of the Delta variant in children He gave the youngest age affected and the oldest. Then, he said the average age was 12 which 'meant half the people affected were younger than that.' Doh!! Even those young kids would likely know from their math classes that that isn't true. I'm an old codger, complaining about everything.

Hope all y'all find nothing to complain about today. It was even more beautiful out this morning and that always soothes my ruffled feathers.

Love, Mikie

lydia1

Good morning, everyone! I just texted Clinton, to let him know we're praying for him today. Sounds like Amy has everything under control (that's my girl) even to the detail of making sure someone will wheel him to the van when he's discharged...Amy won't be able to push him in the wheelchair or help him get in.

She texted me yesterday to let me know that after Clinton recovers from this pacemaker surgery, he will need to go see another surgeon about having neck surgery. When he had his original pacemaker, he couldn't have an MRI, but had been having a lot of pain with numbness in his hands. While the pacemaker was out, they worked in an MRI, which showed some pinched nerves, etc. So...as we know, all things work out for the good, for those who love the Lord...and Clinton definitely does.

I don't think Amy has said anything to anyone about Clinton's second surgery...it's not on facebook or anything yet. (Just letting Granni know...sometimes I get ahead of the kids by posting stuff on here, but I don't think anyone else would have any contact, so I think it's okay.)

So good to read Willow and Spring's posts last night before I went to bed. Willow, you have a lot on your plate. Spring, those pakoras sound really good!

Mikie, thanks for the new porch...and beautiful picture! Funny, how when some songs come on, I can remember what I was doing the last time I heard it (even if it was just peeling potatoes, lol!)

Sun, hope you find a solution to your coffee situation. We used to have a Keurig...pretty handy...but, between me and Den, we drink almost a pot a day. And if I have leftover, I freeze it in cubes for Keira's copycat frappachinos that she likes to make. And during poison ivy season, it doesn't hurt to have some cold coffee to pour over the itching parts, lol!

I stayed up late again last night (thanks to the full moon) and got a lot of towels folded. The kitchen island is full of them this morning because I didn't want to put them away last night and disturb Den. I need to fix breakfast and fix him a to-go lunch with plenty of drinks...he's going over to help Fred today. So, that leave me and Oreo and the cats to hold down the fort....I'm determined to just ignore whatever needs done outside (besides watering) and keep working inside the house. It was so nice to get up this morning and not see (as much) clutter ;)

I'm going to start saving my cucumbers for my mom's cousin, then take them to her when I go pick up our beef next week (I thought the beef was supposed to be ready Monday, but had the dates wrong...) Cousin Joyce lives another half hour from the butcher, and we need to have an in person catch up visit, lol! And she has some pictures for me (of my mom's side of the family) that she found in her mom's things. (Joyce's mom was my maternal grandma's twin sister.)

As they say, all good things must come to an end (really?) and "You've gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em (yep) I'm going to "put the garden to bed" soon. I've got a lot of other things I need to be doing before winter. So, will dig the potatoes and pick what peppers are ready (then pull the plants)...but Joyce's garden was destroyed by hail earlier this year and she had to replant...and she makes lots of pickles...perfect! I will still have lots of tomatoes, I think...they're on the vines, just waiting for them to start turning. And the poor corn...the ears are developing, even though the stalks have been blown over from two different directions, lol! The trench garden (pole beans...still waiting on them to actually make "beans", and the melons and pumpkin will be a little while yet, but I don't really have much to do there, except wait on them to ripen) Then Den can till a lot of the garden areas and I can start planning next years plot.

So, with that plan in mind...now, I'd better get busy in the kitchen. French toast sounds good for today, then pack a light lunch for Den to take. We are supposed to get hotter and more humid as the week goes on...gotta stay hydrated, too.

Take care, everyone! I post updates on Clinton as I hear them.

Granniluvsu

A quick HI to eerydobby !!

Thanks JULIE for the info on Clinton and hope and pray all goes well with is surgery today. Yes, just one day at a time. Can't really stay to long on the PORCH. Reading quickly . Sorry he will probbly neeed additional surgery on his neck. I wouldn't be surprised if I did also but between OA and FM who knows. Let us know how all goes.

I forgot DH needs the computer very soon so I need to get off here to do something else before I forget. I have been so scatter brained lately.

MIKIE - Hope you are feeling a little better !

Love to awl,
Granni

lydia1

Hi Granni and everyone! Hope you're not having to be outside much in your heat. Pain is just not fun, is it? We're hoping if Clinton does have neck surgery, it can relieve the pain and numbness...he's had a rough few years.

Amy texted that they had taken him back to surgery....I think it was about an hour later than scheduled. She was going to get her labs done today, so we don't have to be up there so early on Monday for her surgery follow-up appt.

My brother called...the one in Texas. His wife died in a nursing home in their town, but had made arrangements in another town (two hours away) to be cremated. Her body is still sitting in the morgue in the crematorium because the doctor from the nursing home hadn't released the death certificate yet. No reason, that anyone knows of...just laziness, apparently. Then, once the crematorium gets the death certificate, they have to request a permit to do the cremating (because sis-in-law didn't live in that town.) I guess it's good everyone is crossing their t's and dotting their i's, but here's my poor brother and nephew waiting to get her ashes home. Brother sounded good...he said his wife was starting to show signs of really suffering from the brain tumor...and it was a relief for her to be out of that situation.

And...since the guys could never actually go to her room or even see what kind of care she was getting, due to Covid restrictions, they are pretty sure she was often neglected. Very sad...but I believe Nephew read everyone involved the riot act after his mom's death. I don't know how I would have managed if my daddy had still been alive...I was at his facility often, at all hours of the day and night. If I saw or sensed a problem, I had face to face access to the Director of Nurses or even the administrator, if need be.

Anyway, Den is still gone. I've been to the cellar to fetch more canning jars and they've been in the dishwasher. Have clothes hanging on the line, cleaned out both
refrigerators and done some odds and ends downstairs. Heading upstairs now...gotta make sure I have my phone nearby. I hope if Amy needs me to get to the kids tonight, I know soon enough to cancel my abdomen CT for tomorrow. I have to drink one bottle of the contrast tonight, then half of another bottle 1 hour before the 8:00 am test, then will drink the rest of it when I get to the hospital. Fun times!

Take care, everyone...

Granniluvsu

JULIE et al - What a stressful and busy time for you all and the family with all these surgeries etc. So much in one family. Poor Amy and Clinton.but glad they have a lot of help with food, etc. How long does it take to get to Amy's house. Wow, canning, I would never know how to can anything . Have never canned anything in my life but there sure was a time when it was a necessity and to have land to grow things. It is great when you need food and do not have to go to the grocery store for it and everything is fresh and home made. Good luck with the scan tomorrow.

Gotta run for now.

Love,
Granni

Granniluvsu

Popping on to tell you that Julie texted me to say Clinton was in the room and they all were waiting to talk to the dr. They think all went well. JULIE's electricity is out and no telling for how long. Just letting you know all seems to have gone well that we know of. Hope to tty tomorrow. She said it seems to be a big outage for Julie so hope she is not out of electricity for to long.

Love,
Granni

rockgor

Hi kids, Just came in from tending to the cat. You tube has lots of pet videos. When I was a kid
we sometimes had brief interruptions of electric power. The power usually came back before the
rain quit. My mother loved the double rainbows. We would all go outside to see same. Haven't
seen one since I left Minnesota.

I sat down on the sofa to see if there was anything worth watching. There wasn't. There was a book on the sofa written by Joanne Fluke. Title was Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Murder. All
her books have similar titles. She has written dozens of books. Gordon is going to read this one. I Just reread a book by John Sanford. The ending is set at the Iowa State Fair.

Gordon spent most of yesterday with his car at the Honda garage. All that was going on was that
he needed a new tire. But every time he goes there it's a long visit. I'm glad I don't have a car
anymore. It would be fine in a small town, but in a big city they are too much trouble. And you
can get a ticket for parking in you own driveway. Yikes!

Granni, as usual good to hear from you. Yes, hope Julie gets her power back soon. I don't recall
any outages here in L.A., but then my memory is pretty much non existent nowadays. Here's
our shopping tip for the day. Gordon brought home a package of hard caramels. They are
very tasty as one of my co-workers used to say. The brand name is Worther's and they come in
a gold package and are sugar free.

Hope things are fine for you and Richard and the managerie, Barry.

Hugs and hard candy, Rock

barry, have you read any books by charles finch? mysteries set in victorian england. the author writes well. he has written about 10 plus books so far. see if you like them.

gordon

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Granni: thanks for that update. I hope her power comes on quickly. At our other house we were without power for over 3 days in the dead of winter. Lost a lot of food in the freezer. It was so cold for us that we all slept in front of the fireplace.

Rock: happy to read Gordon found a sugar free candy you like. Worther’s is a great candy.

Spring: that food picture you posted looks delicious. One thing that I can’t leave alone is fried zucchini……although bad for diverticulosis.……so I rarely succumb to ordering it. There is a take out near me that serves a HUGE container of it for round $4. A real deal, but so much for one person to scarf down.

Willow: you have a HUGE amount of things to take care of daily. Don’t know how you keep at it. Are your stretches and meditation at night helping?

Poor Clinton……possible neck surgery next. I hope he’s doing good by now and on his way home.

Mikie: I read that some Fox News commentators are now telling people to get their shots!!!!!

I was doing a search on vitamin content in seeds and found this on pumpkin seeds. Wow…..a reason for me to be snacking on them daily.

Last edited:

lydia1

Hi guys...after midnight, but thought I'd pop on while I drank my Barium cocktail ;)

What a crazy day...I was upstairs working when the lights suddenly went out. I tried to still do a few things, but just couldn't see well enough, so decided to just take a nap. Right after I got up, I realized the electricity was back on. I wanted to work outside a bit, but knew I'd get all dirty and sweaty and would need to shower as soon as I was done. So, I went out and ran the weedeater and push mower at the front of the house where there are bird feeders, flower beds, rural water shut off and other assorted obstacles that prevent us from getting in that area with the rider.

Hadn't heard from Amy, and felt they should be on the way home, so texted her. Clinton was out of surgery and back in his room where Amy had been waiting. The doctor decided to keep him in the hospital overnight, due to it being so late when he was finished.

Amy called on her way home...I was still outside, spraying organic spray on some of the new trees (little black bugs eating the leaves) and getting clothes off the line. She said surgery went pretty well, but when the surgeons thought they were done and went to "collect all their tools from the surgical site", one of the leads to the pacemaker came loose...so they had to "go in again." Then when he was back in the room and had to sit up, he was in a lot of mid-back pain...so they did a chest xray to make sure they hadn't nicked a lung. Geesh!

So, Amy will go back up to get him in the morning (1 1/2 hour drive one way) once he calls her that he can be discharged. We are almost 2 hours from their house, but could have made it, if necessary. They'll have a little birthday party for Kristian once everyone is home, then he leaves for church camp on Friday.

Den got home from Fred's while I was on the phone with Amy so he joined me as I was on the fort porch swing, surrounded by kittens, by then. He and I got caught up on our days (he's going back to help Fred again tomorrow) and when we came to the house, I fixed some cheeseburgers...we ate around 10:00 pm, lol!

My youngest brother will come sometime this weekend to pick up his mower that Den repaired...I imagine our nephew and 3 great-nieces will come along this time. I'm hoping to get the downstairs play area and the upstairs (loft) cleaned up by then...might be able to slip away on Friday to pick up some groceries.

I'm sorry I can't remember what everyone has written...I'm so tired, I've been kinda weepy all day today. Haven't heard anymore from the Amish couple, and hope not to. I'm still mad that the husband would go behind my back and try to get our farmer to say they could be on our property...Carl didn't know what was going on, and might have just said it didn't matter to him. Which the Amish would interpret as "permission", overriding our wishes. But we and Carl are definitely on the same page when it comes to the Amish and the way they try to do things...

Anyway, tomorrow will be another inside working day, after I get back home. I need to set my alarm tonight and get up at 6:30 am...bah humbug! Take care, everyone!

Mikie

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

Fell asleep early and missed FJ. I got lotsa sleep and that's what's important. I decided to just rest yesterday so I have to get into the shower and wash my hair today. It's already 80 degrees out and uncomfortably humid so am glad I'm not going to the pool today. Neither is Barb. SV is so cute. He has gathered his three catnip stuffed toys and is snuggling with them. He uses the little stuffed lamb for a pillow.

Sun, thanks for the info on pumpkin seeds. I'm definitely going to get some. They might be the answer to my osteoporosis and kidney stones. Why don't doctors know these things and tell us? Bless you for being our research guru. The news on TV said some of the suspicion of the vaccine is abating among those who were unsure. I can understand people's being leery but putting out misinformation is unforgivable. People who do that are responsible for death and misery. They have hurt the economy and healthcare workers as well. We each need to make decisions about the vaccine and we need factual info to do that. There is an article in today's newspaper saying some of the hosts on Fox are still discouraging vaccinating. The Delta variant is running wild here in Delusional DeSantis Land. He tried to make it illegal for cruise ships docking and leaving from FL to require proof of vaccination for employees and cruisers. Courts just shut him down. As I've said before, he is an idiot. Thanks again for posting about pepitas. Oh wait, here is our governor on TV telling people to get vaccinated. When Covid first surged, he would go out for photo shoots not wearing a mask and shaking hands with other idiots. I'd say his new conversion, and that of some Fox news personalities, is too little too late but if it gets people to get their jabs, I'm happy to see it.

Julie, sounds as though the stress of what you have been through with the renegade Amish has finally settled. Crying is a good way to get rid of it. I think you are like me--I'm good in the fight but later when it's safe, it hits me emotionally. People who are thinkers first and feelers second under stress on personality tests usually follow this pattern. I'm a feeler first when not under stress. Seems these days, I'm always under stress but who isn't? Your description of sitting on the swing surrounded by kittens made me feel peaceful. Glad the power wasn't out too long. Our record here is 12 days following Hurricane Irma and that was in the heat and humidity of summer when the sun was baking the rain out of the saturated ground. Hope your test goes well and Clinton can settle in and heal before his next procedure.

Rock, so glad Gordon found the sugar-free Worther's caramels for you. Be a bit careful because the sugar substitute in some candy causes diarrhea if too much is ingested. I hope you like the book. After a bunch of books, I guess it isn't a 'fluke' to write a good one. Gordon, is the other one you mentioned 'for the birds?' Oh, somebody stop me. I haven't been making puns in a long time and I'm a bit rusty. Oh, the irony. Oh no! Another bad one. Glad to see you both on the Porch.

Granni, glad you dropped in. Hope you can come back for a longer visit. How is your DGS doing? Well, I hope.

I watched Court TV while I rested yesterday. This is the trial of the guy for the murder of a SC college student when she got into his car, mistaking it for an Uber ride. I don't understand why some of these people put the courts through the expense of trials. After the murder, the guy was stopped by cops and ran on foot. The car had blood all over it. He had picked up his girlfriend in the car after using her cleaning supplies to try to get rid of the blood but it was still all over. There was blood all over his clothing. When the homicide cop testified, there was literally a mountain of evidence. I think if people would plead guilty and throw themselves on the mercy of the court, they would likely get lighter sentences. On the other hand, it's interesting to watch when there is nothing else on and everyone is entitled to a trial. The trial of the three guys who gunned down a jogger in GA is coming up. They taped it. Their defense is that they had seen him go into a home under construction and knew he was 'violent.' Doh!! As Forrest Gump's Mom said, "Stupid is as stupid does." I pray for the victims, the perps and their families. It's tragic all around.

I hope everyone has a good day today, free from stress, pain and exhaustion.

Love, Mikie

Sun, I just ordered a two-pound bag of pumpkin seeds from Amazon. They are organic and non-GMO. I'm thinking they might be good toasted with a bit of chili powder. Yesterday after I read the article on coffee, I started to crave a cup so had a decaf. I had acid stomach all evening. I had to laugh at myself.

Aah, had a nice hot shower and washed my hair. I've blown it dry and it looks good even unstyled. I hate to do it because it seems to take so much NRG. I have to rest after drying it before I style it and spray it. The humidity isn't helping either.

Last edited:

lydia1

Good morning! Haven't heard from Amy yet, but it's probably too early in "hospital world" to know when Clinton will be discharged today. I hope she was able to get some rest. My CT didn't take long at all...the tech is a former classmate of Amy's, and they are friends on facebook, so we chatted about all the things the kids have gone through this year. The tech also said my PCP should have results by this afternoon, so I can call and check if I don't hear from them...I'm really hoping the cyst (or whatever it was on my kidney) is gone by now.

Mikie, good to see you punning again...I think of things "after the fact" when they don't have such an impact, lol! Yes, I hope the Amish saga is over with...although, I imagine they will still call next berry season and ask if I'm going to pick my berries. They seem to have no shame at all, when it comes to taking what they want or trying to get someone to do something for them. Yesterday, I was having these irrational fears of running into the husband or one of the bigger boys back on our property...and was almost afraid. Probably silly, but Lorene and the deacon both said their behavior was out of character...well, I do doubt that the church teaches those things ;)

I watered a few things before I left this morning, and picked a couple of huge tomato worms off one of the cherry tomato plants...gross! Gonna work inside again today (except for hanging some laundry on the line...then if I need to go out and get sweaty, I can do it this evening so I can come in and shower right away. I got back in time to pack Den's lunch (I add extra for Fred) and he's getting ready to leave. Have a batch of lime pickles to process, and should make something with some of the sourdough. Always plenty to do around here...take care, everyone!

Update on Clinton...Amy has picked him up and they are on their way home to celebrate Kristian's birthday. Now to just pray for quick and complete recoveries...

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

My hair turned out great! Always makes me happy. I'm not vain but don't want to look gross either. As long as people don't turn and retch, I figure I'm okay. Teresa's DGKs are coming for a visit so she borrowed my air mattress in case they need it. We sat and had a nice visit. Tomorrow, I'm going down to check on Janie's shower ceiling as an extra followup to make sure Teresa's isn't leaking. I'm sure Larry fixed it but never hurts to check again. Gonna go to Grace's to check their Damp Rid bags. The ones they put out when they left filled right up. I wrote a card to thank my kids for the BD gift and mentioned that I hadn't received the paperwork from American Home Shield yet. Also paid my yearly carport maintenance fee to mgmt. These aren't great feats but every little bit of progress is good. I'm also doing the regular cleaning that always needs doing.

Julie, prayers continue for Clinton's quick recovery. I'm hoping this is the end of the Berry Patch Debacle too. Those people are beyond nervy. I'm laughing thinking about the big ugly worms. Did you do the Icky Dance? OK, my skin is crawling. Hoping for smooth sailing for all y'all from now on. Let us know how the scan turned out.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Julie: So happy to read that Clinton’s ordeal is over. Praying for a smooth recovery. By the way, when I would find those big hornworms I would put them some place where the birds could feast on them. And you do know that the hornworms turn into the giant sphinx month.

Mikie: I bought that insurance for my appliances. Was supposed to get an immediate email from the agent but after 3 days I called. He had transposed two letters in my address. I asked the lady about the insurance….how long do I have to wait. She said AFTER 30 days you will then receive the contract in the mail and then once I receive I am covered. My DS was over the other day, said I hoped I hadn’t made a mistake (it’s really expensive) so he slowly read the contract I had printed off the internet. Then he pulled up Better Business Bureau so we could read all the complaints. I’m still leary though. Mine starts Aug. 11. She said I would receive the paperwork 7-10 days AFTER it started, so for me probably around Aug.20.

I’m going for my cancer check in another hour…..I’ve got a roaring headache and my sciatic is screaming. Of course. Won’t go into all the pool troubles…..big time shortage of acid, chlorine, shock etc. nationwide. My pool guy cleaned the filter last week and put in some shock but the next morning it was awful looking. Had to keep running the pool sweep along with ME brushing. *&^%$#@

Mikie

Hi, Sun,

What a pain with your pool chemicals. I don't know how our pool guy is keeping ours balanced. I never bought that home ins. because I was leery too. My kids have been very happy with it and have had quite a few claims and were happy with every one of them. DD did say there was a 30 day waiting period before coverage would begin. My A/C is older so, if it goes out and can't be fixed, it would be really nice to have the coverage. That would save me thousands.

I hope your check goes well and you get rid of that headache, sciatica too. Grace called me and she is getting horribly painful cramps in her legs and feet at night. Doc told her to take magnesium. I told her to drink Smart Water. Doc also told her to take vitamin D. She is small boned and skinny and broke her femur. I'm surprised she wasn't already on vitamin D. I told her about the pumpkin seeds for bones. Mine gets here tomorrow. I fixed a big salad for lunch with leafy greens, almonds and blueberries. Mmmm!

Good luck; home all goes well.

Love, Mikie

sunflowergirl

Mikie: I got a good test today…..so I go back in 6 months….Yea. I get leg cramps at nights when I haven’t drunk enough water. And that’s another reason I eat a banana every day without fail for the potassium. I‘m glad you’ve ordered pepita seeds. Now that I read that it’s going to be a daily thing for me.

Got a letter from my pool guy today, he’s raising his charge $25 a month. I talked to him today when he came to service the pool. Told me how Hurricane Laura in august 2020 destroyed a lab which makes the entire nation’s supply of chemicals. So then I called another pool supply store, and yes it’s true. He’s been having trouble getting chemicals…..so what he’s doing is dividing it up with all his customers….200 pools. He bragged for 3 years about all his customers he’s added since he bought the business now he has to supply all these customers with chemicals. I’m going out tomorrow and buy some SHOCK for the pool because it still has algae.

OK….Julie and Barry: I know you’re mushroom lovers. My son sent this video to me and I found it fascinating. He told me there’s a mushroom farm near Portland that gives away the “substrate” that mushrooms are grown on to be used in compost but apparently there is maybe one more level of mushrooms left. A couple of years ago he sent me a mushroom kit for christmas. I was supposed to hang this block thing outside and it would grow oyster mushrooms. I tried it but I was leary of eating them since it had been outdoors where critters could get to it but it was interesting when they started to appear.

Last edited:

Mikie

Good Friday Morning, Kids,

It's sooo humid out. I hope in an hour when I go over to the pool, there is a breeze and it's less humid. The humidity will ruin my hair and I just washed it. It was 97 here yesterday and set a new record. I know that's no big deal compared to temps in the West but it's high for us. I went out to water the flowers yesterday and it felt really hot. It winded me to climb back up the stairs. This crud is still causing me problems. I was choking and coughing when I went to bed. Joe called and said he had what he thought was a bad gall bladder attack after eating Chinese food on Wed. That also happened a while ago after eating Chinese so he will have to stay away from it. The attack had passed by the time he called yesterday. Doc told him he would know when the GB needs to be removed. I told him to call me anytime of the day or night if he needs to so we can take him to the ER. He said I can always call him too. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him or Claudia. We all used to have a bunch of people we could call on but there are only a few of us left.

Sun, sooo happy you had a good test yesterday. You can use a break. I think one of the lessons we should learn from Covid and natural disasters is that we should never depend on only one source for the things we need. I saw on the news that hospitals are making extra ICU beds in other areas of their bldgs. again. This wave of Covid Delta is really bad in some areas, areas like FL where the vaccination rate is low. One doc said that when she is getting ready to put young patients on ventilators, they beg for the vaccine. She tells them it's too late for that. I don't think a lot of the younger ones who are getting sick understand. I've seen them bragging on TV about how they aren't scared of Covid. Youthful bravado. Good news is that some of the vaccine hesitant folks are getting their jabs. There are still too many who vow never to get vaccinated. Doh!! I love shrooms but usually forget about them when I'm at the store. Thanks for the video--very interesting! Again, so glad for you and hope you can rest easy now.

I need a few things at the store and haven't decided whether to go to Trader Joe's or just up the street to Publix. I'm afraid I'll lose my mind at TJ's and buy too much. My doc wants me to wear my mask indoors in public and I'm going to even at Publix when there aren't many people shopping. He worries about colds and other viruses as much as he does about the Delta variant. I'm still vulnerable from that horrible virus I had in 2020 that seems to have produced long hauler symptoms. That, coupled with my chronic problems, is reason enough to be careful. About half the people in Publix the last time I shopped had on their masks. BBC news showed healthcare workers delivering the vaccine to small areas in the jungles of India. They had to hike three hours over dangerous terrain and hanging foot bridges to deliver it. People in the village were originally hesitant to get the jabs but were lined up for them after education about the dangers of Covid and the safety of the vaccines. My heart went out to those braving the dangers to get the vaccine to remote villages.

Weatherman says it's gonna be hot again today. I'm going to water the flowers early. They are looking pretty pathetic. A front will dip down and, while it won't bring temps down that much, it should deliver some rain over the weekend. Poor Teresa--her kids arrive tomorrow. Of course, the rain often goes around us so there is no guarantee we will get it. I hope for sunny skies and comfortable temps for everyone.

Love, Mikie

Home again, home again...after the pool, I got dressed and headed to W*M for a few things. The Cascade Platinum DW pods there are the cheapest around. Amazon had them but shipping was 7-10 days. I got some other things that cost less there too. I could find no full-service checkout lanes. Everything is self-checkout. I think they will help someone who needs it. I actually don't mind and it's very easy there. Self-checkout at Publix is a pain. Their machines are very fussy and keep shutting down til someone helps. I wore my mask and noticed about half the other shoppers were wearing them. I'm exhausted already just from doing two things. Don't know that I'll do the pool tomorrow or not; I need to do some things in here. It may rain to make the whole thing moot. Hope all y'all are having a good day.

Last edited:

lydia1

Good Friday morning...on the computer late because I've been watering for two hours. Ran the sprinkler on the main garden last evening for a couple hours (glad we have well water to use) then just had to drag hoses around this morning to get the trench garden, herb garden next to the house, flower beds and cherry tomato plants in the front of the house, hanging baskets at the fort and clothesline, flower bed part way up the lane (that's all the farther my hoses would reach, lol!) Then I got 5 gallon buckets (I can fit two of them on the front of the mower) and just drive up to the hose reel to fill them...an easy way to do the five trees, six grape vines, flowers farther up the lane and at the mailbox. I pretty much have it down to a science by now, but it still takes time...so hot and humid here (I know the 90's isn't that bad for some of you ;)) but it has been/will be pretty miserable for us...

I need to go get a few groceries, but will wait till later this afternoon or evening...gonna stay inside the rest of the day. Still working upstairs, and this is a good time to do that.

Amy got Clinton home okay yesterday...they are all exhausted and need time to just rest. A nurse from my PCP's office called yesterday afternoon and the initial report from my CT just showed "benign cysts" on my left kidney. Several years ago, there was just one...but apparently no cause for concern. I'll still follow up with my PCP next week, but I doubt I will need any further testing.

Sun, thanks for the info on the mushrooms...yes, I love to have some in the freezer (sauteed with onion in butter) to add to just about any savory dish. Sorry for the pool woes, but glad your cancer check up was good.

Better get some breakfast going...Den has been back talking to our farmer, who is moving hay bales that he baled yesterday. Lots going on around the farm. No word from any Amish...which is fine with me...take care, everyone!

Take care, everyone.

Granniluvsu

Almost Good Afternoon Everydobby,
It is almost time go fix lunch so this won't be long. I'm pooped already for fiddling with two loasds of laundry. The time consumiing part comes this afternoon.

JULIE - So happy the kids got home safe and hope they don't have to many more trips out and about to any drs any time to soon, esp with all the miles they have to drive. You wear me out girl with all your watering, mowing, etc etc , cooking et al. I guess that is the farm for you, lots of chores inside and out.

SUN - Thanks for the informationn on the growing of mushrooms. I also love musromms but wish I knew moe about the stuff that grow in my hard. I watched part of the video but not the whole thing, So glad you got a good Ca report from the doc at your visit.

MIKIE - Glad you had fun at the pool and got some exercise and now do you wash your hair again??? Hope Joe stays well.

Gotta fun and make lunch..

Love,
Granni