Song Lyrics Game #5 | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

Song Lyrics Game #5

ProHealth CBD Store

gb66

Rock, Don't take it serious, it's too mysterious. lol
Rock, "Don't take it serious, it's too mysterious" Is a line from the song "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries" That was in reference to Erma Bombec's title about being in the pits. Who sang that?

rockgor

Bing Crosby and Al Jolson. I think. Of course they sang just about everything.

My Dad liked "Let Me Call You Sweetheart". He didn't pay much attention to
music, but he liked that one and the Notre Dame fight song.

Rock

gb66

My grandmother also used to sing "Oh, you beautiful doll", "Old Mill Stream", "Let me call you sweetheart", "Mighty like a rose", "Everybody's doing it", When you wore a tulip". "Put on your old grey bonnet", she sang to me a lot. She lived to be almost 96.

rockgor

Great songs, GB. I wonder how many folks here remember sing along cartoons. They were
around when I was a kid. Here's an early one from the 1920s by the Max Fleischer Studios.
Their cartoons included Popeye and Betty Boop.

Rock

gb66

Rock, Thank you so much for these great cartoons. I do remember them! My grandmother would have loved "Put on you old grey bonnett". I listened to some of the others and when I have more time, I'm going to watch them all.

I used to sing La paloma when I was in the jr. high chorus, back in the dark ages. lol Great memories. By the way, I did sing along.

Makes me think of Mitch Miller's show too, follow the bouncing ball.

rockgor

Hi GB, I remember the sing along cartoons too. When I was a kid it cost 12 cents to see
the show. Usually a double feature plus a cartoon, a travelog, and a news reel. No ads.
I loved the sing alongs. I sang along too despite the handicap of having a lousy voice.

I thought "La Paloma" meant the swallow, but I just looked it up and found it translated as
"dove". I was so startled I almost swallowed my shoes. Ha Ha!

Used to have some of Mitch's albums. Did you know he was also a performer of classical
music? Played the oboe. Also the English horn which looks like a clarinet with a bulge
at the bottom.

Hard to believe how much the world, including popular culture, has changed in our lifetimes.

Glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Rock

gb66

Hi GB, I remember the sing along cartoons too. When I was a kid it cost 12 cents to see
the show. Usually a double feature plus a cartoon, a travelog, and a news reel. No ads.
I loved the sing alongs. I sang along too despite the handicap of having a lousy voice.

I thought "La Paloma" meant the swallow, but I just looked it up and found it translated as
"dove". I was so startled I almost swallowed my shoes. Ha Ha!

Used to have some of Mitch's albums. Did you know he was also a performer of classical
music? Played the oboe. Also the English horn which looks like a clarinet with a bulge
at the bottom.

Hard to believe how much the world, including popular culture, has changed in our lifetimes.

Glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Rock
I remeber going to the movies for a dime when my sister and I were kids. Times sure were different then. She and I would ride the bus, alone, to the movies. We were about 6 and 7 years old.

I can't imagine kids that age going out alone now! The bus was a nickle. We had tokens. Before that, there was a streetcar. My grandfather was a conductor at one time.

Our movie theater would have a double feature on Saturday, Warner Bro. Pathe newsreel, Superman serial, and lots of cartoons. What a great way to spend the day. Also, does anyone remember a candy bar called Gold Brick? It was very small, solid choc. w/pecans, wrapped in gold foil paper. The most delicious candy I've ever had.

Last edited:

rockgor

Hi GB

Did you see Youtube has a song cartoon for La Paloma? Is that why it came to mind?

Never heard of Gold Brick candy. Sounds good, though. If you had a big box of it, and someone
wanted another piece, you could say, "OK. There's mor-tar eat."

Gotta go get ready to visit the doc.

Rock