SONG LYRICS GAME No. 4 CLOSED | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

SONG LYRICS GAME No. 4 CLOSED

ProHealth CBD Store

rockgor

Hi Diane

I am a Marnie Nixon fan too. Used to have a Mary Poppins record by her. And a month or two back
I found a Marnie Nixon CD case in my collection. Songs by Gershwin. Alas, the CD is missing.
Where could it be? Without the CD, all I got is "Plenty O Nuttin".

She made some recordings of classical music by composers like Aaron Copland and Ernest
Gold. Ernest was one of her husbands. He won an Oscar for the song "Exodus". I read her
book "I Could Have Sung All Night" a few years back.

Can't hear "Blue Suede Shoes" without thinking of dancing. Rock and Roll was new when I
was in High School. Ours was the coolest generation. The first to dance to Rock and Roll.

Here are some song lyrics I find poetic. But you have to read them. You sure can't figure
them out from Simon and Garfunkel's singing. They remind of the Beatles. Wrote some
great songs but weren't (in my opinion) very good singers.

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turn my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools," said I, "you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sound of silence

Paul Simon

Rock

"I'm on Top of the World looking down on creation. Karen Carpenter, I think.
Diane, I don't even get to the Media icon. The process gets derailed on Youtube.
Possibly because I won't change my username and register with them.

Soul*

Rock you don't have to register with youtube to get the video links. Just do a search there. Click the video and when it plays copy the link that is in your adress bar. That is all you need. I love the Simon and Garfunkel song.

rockgor

Soul

Yes, that's what I did when I posted the first two videos. Now, Youtube won't allow me to
copy the URL.

And Yahoo has a new CEO who has greatly reduced the ability of users to post comments at
the end of articles. There has, however, not been any reduction in the fees we pay. LOL

At least we are not dealing with the government where things get worse and worse and the
taxes keep increasing.

Rock

gb66

"This is Diane's new post. "I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation and the only explanation I can find, is the love that I feel ......" (Or someting like that?) lol

The L.A. freeway one I posted is "Do you know the way to San Jose".

rockgor

Hi Kids

Well, I knew the way to San Jose, (have even been there a couple times) but I never knew the
lyrics to the song. Don't recognize the "Scattered pictures" lyrics either. You young people
know lots of songs I don't.

Here are some lyrics from a song that was new when I was young. About half a century ago.

"True love can be whispered from heart to heart
When lovers are parted they say
But I must depend on a wish and a star
As long as my heart doesn't know who you are.
Sweet dreams be yours dear,
If dreams there be
Sweet dreams to carry you close to me."

I was able to post a video on the Porch. I guess it's just a matter of catching Youtube
in a good mood. Tomorrow, with the proper winds prevailing, I will post a video of this
song from the movie.

Diane, I understand your concern. I was not offended at all. It's hard to talk about computers
without having them present as audio visual aids. Gordon sometimes asks what trouble I'm
having, and I end up saying vague things like, "Well, you know that little box that opens when
you click on that rectangle and then a menu drops down and ...."

I am having Gordon's meatloaf for din-din. I put some dijon mustard on it for that gourmet
touch. Added some potato chips for that essence of picnic gaiety. Now the proper beverage
would be a Coke, but I quit drinking sodas. And a lotta people like a beer at a picnic, but I've
never liked the taste of beer anywhere. And I don't drink tea or coffee. Ah, I know: water.

Rock

gb66

Rock, Loved being called a young person! I posted the "scattered pictures" line. (I'm 73 years old, but very young at heart: Body is about 103.) Here's a clue: "Smiles we gave to one another....."

hangininthere

Hi All.

"Smiles we gave to one another....." reminds me of a movie I like. But I don't know the exact words to this song - except just a few words, which are also the title of the movie. It's a beautiful hauntingly wistful song.

Patti

Last edited:

Soul*

"This is Diane's new post. "I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation and the only explanation I can find, is the love that I feel ......" (Or someting like that?) lol

The L.A. freeway one I posted is "Do you know the way to San Jose".
Oooh now the lights go on here, I knew there was something recognizable in there just didn't bring up a tune yet.

Do you know the way to San Jose
I'm going back to stay... in San Jose

"I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation
and the only explanation I can find,
is the love that I found, I'm so happy you're around and you've put me on top of the world (something like that)

Thank you Gb for putting me on the track :p

rockgor

Oh, now I know. Barbra Redford and Robert Streisand.

"The Way We Were." The dream of every poster here. If only we could go back to when
we were healthy.

I remember my mother responding to some grievance I had when I was a kid with, "Be
thankful for what you've got." When I asked what did I have, she said, "Your health".
She was right, but I was too young to comprehend.

Rock
Older but wiser.
But would rather be younger and healthier.
And who wouldn't?

Oh yeah, before I go, here's a cheerful ditty. It's from a flop Broadway show that starred
Mary Martin. It is sometimes said that that Mary (and Ethel Merman) never had a flop, but
that's not quite true. This song is from a show that appeared the year I was graduated
from college. The critics loved Mary, of course. They just didn't like the show.

Soul*

I wouldn't want to trade the 'wisdom' I gained for any health in the world. Even though I was healthy as a youngster I was very unhappy from quite a young age. Even as a kid I used to reply back to older people telling me 'as long as you got health' that I felt as long as you are happy was way more important. And I'm sticking to it :p

Though YES a healthy body is very important, I do feel that a healthy mindset is WAY more important. And in that way I gained enormous amounts of 'health' I wouldn't trade of in the world for ANYTHING. I am so much more happy with who 'I' am today then I ever was before in my entire life. Still have plenty to learn but am so much more stable on the road of life then I ever was even though my state of physical health is not something I would wish upon anyone.

Great to see you post video's Rock! Pictures and videos livens up the boards :D

gb66

Rock, that's one I've never heard of. And you're right about "The Way We Were". I know what you mean about that statement about health. I didn't appreciate it when I had it.

I had some emotional problems when younger but was feeling the best emotionally that I'd ever felt in my life when I got sick with CFS/FM. I really felt like I'd been knocked off balance. I'd not want to go back to the emotional stuff, it was worse, but I'd sure like a chance to have both physical and emotional good health.

My body is in a mess now.