SONG LYRICS GAME No. 8 | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

SONG LYRICS GAME No. 8

ProHealth CBD Store

Soul*

GB posted:
"Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree....."

I have no clue but I'm gonna make up a line:

But adventurous I'll be
No matter if I get stuck
Those who don't try have no luck

:p

windblade

GB - Yes! That is the song. next lines:

"I'm living in a kind of daydream
I'm happy as a king
And foolish as it may seem
To me that's everything."

Sung by Al Boley

My husband has a beautiful tenor voice and he sings some of these old 'crooning, swooning' songs. They're so pretty, and sound so beautiful. We always have to laugh a little at the image of " I see your face in every flower". It just hits the funny bone.

But some of those songs from the thirties are so lovely.

Oh, and I was meaning to wish you a 'Happy St. Patrick's Day', and then forgot! It's so interesting how you traced back your ancestors from Ireland to Scotland then England. ( Were those the right countries?)

And now Happy First Day of Spring ( missed that one too, lol)

gb66

Soul, I love your songs. Diane, yes those are the countries. Do you have any Irish heritage? Happy St. Patty's to all of you, Irish or not.

Forgot it was the first day of Spring. I've got my heater on. :)

I've never head that Al Boley song before. Which one were you talking about? The songs from years ago had such beautiful words and melodies. A lot of love songs.

Here's one from way back: "........ Honey moon, keep a shining in June......."

gb66

Diane, Yep, It's By the light of the silvery moon. "I want to spoon, to my honey I'll croon loves tune, honey moon, keep a shining in June, your silvery beam will bring loves dream, we'll be cuddling soon, by the silvery moon." la la la......

The other one, is a 50's song. "They tried to tell us we're too young, too young to really be in love, they say............"

gb66

Hey that's another 50's song. And here's another. "Young love, first love, filled with true devotion". Oh, for the good old days(not really). :)

rockgor

I remember dancing, and roller skating, to "Young Love", GB. It was a big hit for two singers
simultaneously: Sonny James and Tab Hunter. The Sonny James version had a big
advantage with the greatest backup group in music history, The Jordanairs.

About the same time there were two singers that also had a hit with the same song. It was
called "Dark Moon" and was recorded by Gale Storm and Bonnie Guitar.

Bonnie had an unusually beautiful voice for a singer that recorded lots of country western.
She was also a song writer. Gale Storm was also an actress and had a hit show in the 50s:
My Little Margie.

Both ladies used show biz names. It wasn't until a few years ago that I suddenly realized:
"Gale Storm" is redundant.

Rock

gb66

Hi Rock, The record that I had was by Sonny James. I played it till it fell apart. :)

I remember Gale Storm. I saw some of her movies. I don't remember Bonnie Guitar. What a name.

Who was the guy who played on My Little Margie, wasn't it Robert somebody, and I think I remember an older woman with gray hair. Or maybe that's another show. P.S. I looked it up. It was Charles Farrell who played her father.

P.P.S. The show I was thinking of was "Love That Bob" starring Bob Cummings. Do you know the name of the woman who played his mother?

Last edited:

gb66

Here's one: "I have often walked down that street before..."

Another: "Sometimes we walk hand in hand by the sea and ......."

Last edited:

rockgor

"I have often walked down that street before..." is from "My Fair Lady". First Broadway musical I ever saw. But I didn't see it on Broadway. I saw it in St. Paul, MN. The show was touring the country. In those days Minneapolis/St. Paul had a constant stream of touring shows. Probably they still do. In those days the top tickets prices for Broadway
Shows or the Met Opera (which also toured) was 6 bucks. (This was the late 50s -
early 60s.)

In the space of a year and a half I saw 3 different productions of "Hello, Dolly! with 3
different Dollys: Carol Channing, Mary Martin and Betty Grable. They were all wonderful!

"Sometimes we walk hand in hand by the sea and ......." Is the next line, "And the sea seems
to say..."? Anyhoo, don't know that one.

This game reminds me of a real life lyrics question. I was at a production of "South Pacific"
in St. Paul over 20 years after the show had become a smash hit and several years after
the movie version was also a hit.

A dozen sailors were on stage giving a lusty rendition of "There is Nothing Like a Dame".
A group of middle aged women were sitting behind me. One of them leaned over and
asked her friend, "Nothing like a what, Dear?"

Rock

gb66

"I have often walked down that street before..." is from "My Fair Lady". First Broadway musical I ever saw. But I didn't see it on Broadway. I saw it in St. Paul, MN. The show was touring the country. In those days Minneapolis/St. Paul had a constant stream of touring shows. Probably they still do. In those days the top tickets prices for Broadway
Shows or the Met Opera (which also toured) was 6 bucks. (This was the late 50s -
early 60s.)

In the space of a year and a half I saw 3 different productions of "Hello, Dolly! with 3
different Dollys: Carol Channing, Mary Martin and Betty Grable. They were all wonderful!

"Sometimes we walk hand in hand by the sea and ......." Is the next line, "And the sea seems
to say..."? Anyhoo, don't know that one.

This game reminds me of a real life lyrics question. I was at a production of "South Pacific"
in St. Paul over 20 years after the show had become a smash hit and several years after
the movie version was also a hit.

A dozen sailors were on stage giving a lusty rendition of "There is Nothing Like a Dame".
A group of middle aged women were sitting behind me. One of them leaned over and
asked her friend, "Nothing like a what, Dear?"

Rock

Yes, that's "On the street where you live" "But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before. All at once am I several stories high, knowing I'm on the street where you live."

The "Sometimes we walked hand in hand by the sea" is one of Johnny Mathis' first songs." Hint: It's really quite a wonderful song. :)

rockgor

Oh, sure, I remember that one, Diane. I read decades ago that his Greatest Hits album
was on the charts for something like five years. A songwriter was lucky to have a song
on that album.

GB, don't know who played Bob Cummings mother. Have only a vague recollection of
that show. He was like Carry Grant. Smooth and debonair.

I got the Guernsey Potato Pie book. I am on page 33. So far I love it. And here's a
kawinkydink for you. Got a Daedalus catalog that lists a book titled "The Book of Lies".
Set on the island of Guernsey and written by an author who lives there. It involves two
High School girls, the Nazi occupation of Guernsey and a murder. Anyhoo, thanks
for the recommendation.

Here are some more lyrics for consideration.

There is just one moon and one golden sun. And a smile means Friendship to everyone.

Rock

Soul*

That is a lovely line Rock, and though it doesn't ring a bell of recognition at all to me it does tickle my creative knot that wants to think up a following line:

There is just one moon and one golden sun. And a smile means Friendship to everyone.
So first of all be your own good friend, and then your smiling will never end. :)

windblade

Diane - thank you for the Al Bolley song, and later renditions. It's such a swooning song.

These lyrics:

"There is a town in North Ontario
Dream comfort memory to spare
And in my mind I still need a place to go
All my changes were there.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars
Yellow moon on the rise
Big birds flying across the sky
Casting shadows on our eyes
Leave us helpless, helpless, helpless ."

....were written and sung by Neil Young when he was with Crosby, Stills and Nash. There's a wonderful video of him singing it with The Band, and Joni Mitchell doing backup on youtube.

I'm really enjoying hearing all this music. Oh, and the Willie Nelson - I remember when that came out, I loved it, just did not remember lyrics.

For about 6-7 years after I first got CFS, I couldn't listen to music - it didn't sound "musical", just painful. So now I extra enjoy it!!!

gb66

That Johnny Mathis song, Wonderful, Wonderful, was popular when I wa 17.

Rock,, The actress I was trying to think of was Rosemary DeCamp. She was in a lot of tv shows. She played Bob Cummings mom on "Love That Bob".

Last edited:

rockgor

Yes, GB, Rosemary DeCamp was in lots of TV shows and movies. She was the wife on TV's "Life With Riley". Also in "Yankee Doodle Dandy". In the big musical number at the end she
appears in a Statue of Liberty costume. Might have won an Oscar for Best Costume except that there was no such thing in those primitive times.

Nice lyrics for a song called "Best Friend", Soul. All you need is a partner to write the melody.
The lyrics about one sun and one moon were written by the Sherman Brothers who mostly
wrote for Disney. The song in question is from the Small World ride. Their masterpiece was
"Mary Poppins".

Glad you can listen to music again, Windblade. If I couldn't listen to music and read I would
"take a great notion to jump into the river and drown."

It's hard to think of good songs for this game. Most of the songs are too easy or too difficult.
"The Rose" has beautiful lyrics, but I doubt many people know them. And "Happy Birthday"
is too easy. Any suggestions, Diane, Freida?

Here's an old favorite. Been one for about a century and a half.

"I had a dream the other night, when everything was still;
I thought I saw Susanna dear, a coming down the hill."

Rock

gb66

Okay, I'll guess "Oh Susanna"
Here's another: ".....borne like a zephyr on the light summer air"