Symlin Insulin

Shooey

Hi.

I was recently told about this new product Symlin. Has anyone heard about it? I will post the website with the company info at the end. I just have never heatrd about it. It is suppose to better and controling sugar after a meal, and has caused a reduction in a1c and weight in both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. It says it is suppose to come out soon. Has anyone heard about it from the cdoctor or anything? WOuld love to know!

The website is: http://www.amylin.com/Pipeline/Symlin.cfm

Shooey

cjheinz

Never heard of it before but it's an interesting article. But I really don't want to take another shot! I'm already taking 4 or 5 a day..

Shooey

I am on the pump, and I have no intention really to go back to some shots. However, if they will combine this new insulin with humalog somehow, it will be good. I dont understand if it is a new insulin or if it complements insulin. It reallly hasnt been getting too much press. I will ask my endo the next time I go in January. If anyone knows, postup!!

Shoo

cturner0684

Symlin is a synethic hormone on amylin which works with insulin to aid in digestion. Diabetics quit producing or produce little amylin and insulin. Amylin helps the insulin work with the food to keep you from getting hi's and low's associated after eating. It is injected at each meal time, you must have 250 calories or 30 grams of carbs per meal. I just started it yesterday, the most common side effect and it goes away with treatment is nausea.

Cody

barbslilies

My Doctor has wanted me to start on it for quite sometime now. I tried it last week with 2.5 units before meal and then he told me to half my usual amount of novolog(from pump) that I usually take for meals but my sugar went up to over 500 or 600 because I was not at home and called my meter company listed on the back of my meter to check to see what HI meant. And that is what they told me. I gave myself 4 units of novolog and in about 30 min. it came down to 285 and I worked with it all the rest of day and the next day to get it back to my usual blood sugar. I called the nurse and told her what happened and she ask the doctor and he said to still take the symlin but instead of cutting it by 50% to take my usual dose. Have not tried it again since. It is suppose to slow down the food that is eaten so that the sugar does not get too high after a meal. The posting was right about eating 30 grams of carb's or at least 250 calories. I am going to try again this week. Will post later and let you know how I come out. The Symlin is given by needle by itself. Cannot be mixed. This is before meal and another shot would be given after the meal of the short acting insulin.

Angel1964

Wow, I'd love to be able to eat 30g of carbs at each meal. I'm going to ask my doctor about this new medication!

Angel