What makes you happy? | Page 3 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

What makes you happy?

ProHealth CBD Store

hangininthere

Thanks for the update.

My Dad had radiation treatments for it, then years later he took estrogen shots or pills successfully. I pray the same for your hubby.

Patti

rockgor

Hi Kids

GB, you're right. You have to take it one day at a time 'cause that's how they come.
You can't get a BOGO, not even at Publix. Christy Lane had gold and platinum records
for her recording of the song One Day At A Time. Written by Kris Kristofferson and
Marijohn Wilkin. It's the 12 step program set to music. I used to have several recordings
of it.

Here's a cheerful (and amazing) video of a young fellow who seems to defy gravity.
(You can stop watching at 110 seconds. The twirling is over.)

Best wishes to you and hubby, GB. Too bad we don't have parts like computers and autos
that can be painlessly replaced.

Rock

hangininthere

Love the twirling.

I was a majorette in 6th grade (not at school) and we were in parades in our little town. I was always afraid to throw it up high into the air because I'm clumsy and was afraid it would come down and hit me in the head, haha. Luckily, I didn't have to with our little routine.

Patti

rockgor

Hi Patti

When was the last time you twirled? I was forced to take twirling lessons when I was a kid.
Also piano lessons. Flute lessons. Tap dancing lessons. My mother firmly believed that no
talent was required if you just practiced enough.

There was really no need to worry about getting hit on the head. I just looked it up.
Less than 10% of all baton twirlers are killed by falling batons.

Wow! Such energy those dancers have. All of us on the board probably have less energy
than any two of them. BTW, the picture on the left of the video (when it's not playing)
looks like the set of the 50s movie Hit The Deck. The movie had two great crooners and
3 sensational tap dancers: Vic Damone, Tony Martin, Debbie Reynolds, Eleanor Powell,
and Ann Miller.

I saw an old movie on a DVD this afternoon. Call Me Madame, also from the 50s. Two
great dancers in this one. Donald O'Connor and Vera-Ellen. Vera couldn't sing, but
a gal named Carol Richards did a nice job of dubbing. A bit of trivia. Donald O'Connor
had the same first name in this movie that he did in Singing In The Rain: Cosmo.

Bon Voyage
Rock

upload_2017-6-15_20-28-28.jpeg

hangininthere

I only twirled that one year in 6th grade. I learned it because my cousin was giving baton lessons and Mom thought it would be fun for me and my little sister to go. It was at my Grandma's house in her basement, really just us cousins I think. I liked it, then I joined my little town's majorettes that same year. I was painfully shy and hated being in the parades. I just liked baton practice.

The next year Mom had me and sister join 4H, where I learned to sew. I liked sewing. Except now, I'm so tired and brain fogged I don't even sew on a button. I've gone without the bottom button on my coat for years now, even though it would take only a minute to sew it on. Again, I was so shy I hated modeling on the stage at the county fair the dress I made.

I was so painfully shy all my school years, and refused to go to my high school graduation ceremony. I also refused to go to college, which about broke my Dad's heart. He loved learning, and took college courses all the way through his 70's. Business, real estate, computer, and digital photography, among others. He was super sociable, the opposite of me.

In elementary school I wanted to learn to play the piano, but after a few lessons all I did was memorize the song instead of learning to read the music, and lost interest. To this day, I don't think I could learn to read music, too hard and tedious for me to try. When my Grandma was in her 80's she got a piano and taught me 'On Top of Old Smoky' by ear. She played by ear, too, I think. I would have been happy to take lessons just to play by ear. I remember you saying you know how to read music, back in your tent revival days, right?

As adults, my baby brother and me did not agree on whether a talent is learned or has to be inborn to be learned and be good at it. I firmly believe not everyone can be an expert ice skater or gymnast, etc. He firmly believes anyone can learn it if they try. No way say I.

Patti

Last edited:
Reactions: bct

rockgor

Patti, I wonder if your brother ever tried to learn to do something and didn't succeed. Did
he ever attempt to learn something that he suspected he would not be good at? With what
result?

Did you learn Heart And Soul? When I was a teen almost everybody who played piano
could play either part of Heart and Soul as a duet. You didn't even have to speak the
same language. We had a grand piano in the men's dormitory parlor i.e. the huge room
downstairs. Sometimes the good players, usually music majors, would put on impromptu
concert. One time a beautiful young soprano joined a pianist. She sang When Irish
Eyes Are Smiling. Sailed up to a high A with no effort.

The computer was really acting up last night. When I tried to visit various sites all I
could get to was a white page. My post on the porch seems to have disappeared all together.

Ratbane!
Rock

hangininthere

You hit the nail on the head about did he ever try something and fail. Although, it's extremely rare that a person will change their mind about something they're 'sure of'.

Yep, Grandma taught me Heart and Soul, too. Me and Sis would play it together, too.

Bummer that you're having such computer trouble. The other night I couldn't get on here, but it fixed itself after about an hour or so. I go through withdrawal pangs when I can't get on here, like that couple of days straight we couldn't get on, a few weeks ago.

Patti

rockgor

Hi Kids, Great sign, Patti.

My Minnesota brother forwarded me some funny signs that a friend
sent him. I'd post them here except I can't find them. But I did
find this one.

Hope you guys are having a good day. Well, good by our standards.

Hugs
Rock

hangininthere

I've been meaning to add that, like Willow, I am amazed by the variety of fruits and vegetables. When I cut into them and see how intricately they are made, each one so unique, it blows my mind.

One thing about being older and slowed down, I 'stop and smell the roses', notice the blue sky and clouds, and the inner makings of fruit and veggies. Always something to be awestruck by now.

Patti